Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Workers needing more pay, is the underlying cause. The exploitative bourgeois system was never sustainable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Republicans posted:

Driver shortage?

Warehouse too

Especially warehouse

droll posted:

Workers needing more pay, is the underlying cause. The exploitative bourgeois system was never sustainable.

We're (warehouse and driver) getting 4,000$ or so a week and they still can't find enough people

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
This is how I imagine everyone in the industry quits when it's their time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT6gZmYSXXs

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

AdorableStar posted:

Warehouse too

Especially warehouse

We're (warehouse and driver) getting 4,000$ or so a week and they still can't find enough people

You mean a month I hope. Otherwise that's like a $200k/yr job in a warehouse...

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Tristesse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIqeXSYc8nE

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

unknown posted:

Why not? Supply and demand, baby.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

unknown posted:

I think that's a good start, considering how hard the work is on the body. My aunt is 50 and her body has been hosed up by warehouse work. In a country with "strong" safety regulations. She is too young to retire and get a pension but her body can't hold up much longer.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

AdorableStar posted:

where do I sign up?

I’ll happily go back to warehouse work for $208k

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

So I passed my drug test today, and with everything being in a lock, stopped by the store to tender my resignation. I ultimately decided that flipping a double bird and saying "gently caress all y'all" was a bit much, but like hell was I doing another 2 weeks there. I thought it was fair to split the difference and just run out the schedule as it's made, making Sunday my last day. KM wouldn't have to adjust the current schedule, I'd get a chance to say goodbye to my crew and not leave them in a lurch on the weekend. Plenty fair, I think y'all will agree.

KM had already swanned off for the day (must be nice to just leave right before the lunch rush) so I went home, had a beer and a couple puffs, and called her up.

"Hey, it's JD."
"Hey chica, what's up?"
"Welllll, I'll just cut to the chase. I got a new job, so I'm tendering my resignation."
"Oh... so effective.... when, two weeks?"
[cue SA Industry Thread laughtrack]
"Nnno, they kinda want me to start right away, but I thought I'd run out the current schedule."
"Oh. [I can HEAR her frown over the phone]. Well, that's gonna leave us short-handed, but I guess... [sighs, just trails off]"

Reminder that this is the KM who has dicked over her staff countless times by putting people on week-long suspensions for such horrific crimes as being 10 minutes late; this would leave the rest of the crew short-handed/coming in on their days off because SHE got all pissy pants about it. Or like the other day when she threatened to send me home 15 minutes after I got there, for trying to explain why I was trying to do something a little differently and more efficiently than her weird back-asswards way.

Four more days, guys. Four more days. I'm sure she's gonna make my life hell for those four days, but think of the alternative: she would've made the next two weeks hell if I'd given in to her pathetic attempt at a guilt trip.

I didn't burn bridges; I didn't gently caress over my crew this weekend. I am content with my decision, and can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I hope everyone else is having a wonderful Wednesday!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
And, if she starts to give you too much hell you can just say "you know I can just walk out now, right?"

Or you can just actually walk out. Of the rest of the crew respects you half as much as you say they'll at worst be annoyed but completely understand.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Tristesse posted:

I was expecting Jennifer Anniston in Office Space but these are great.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BiggerBoat posted:

I was expecting Jennifer Anniston in Office Space but these are great.

I rewatched it and while it's still good, lol at a corporate restaurant letting employees choose their own flair.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

unknown posted:

No I'm getting it too. It's PER WEEK right now

When it all calms down we'll go back to 1.5-2k/wk as drivers and warehouse will probably get around the same slightly less because theyre supposed to work less hours

Hauki posted:

where do I sign up?

I’ll happily go back to warehouse work for $208k

Apply at sysco or us foods lmbo

But this location I'm at is probably special in its needs

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Man, that's on reasonable professional levels of pay, congrats! God knows y'all earn it in pain.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

Man, that's on reasonable professional levels of pay, congrats! God knows y'all earn it in pain.

Pain, delivering to poo poo locations in poo poo weather, working holidays (we get truck orders on Mondays, and our guys still show up on Labor Day, Memorial Day, any random holiday that might fall on a Monday that year like 4th of July/Christmas Eve/New Year's, etc).

I got nothing but mad respect for my US Foods truck guys who show up at our place at 4:00 AM on a winter holiday when it's freezing rain out. And they're the one vendor we don't feed, simply because the ovens/fryers/steamwells aren't online yet. If anyone deserves a chicken biscuit or a nice hot bowl of cheesy grits, it's those guys. :(

That said, my favorite truck story is when US Foods mis-shipped us 8 buckets of icing instead of lard. And I don't blame the driver, or even the warehouse picker/loader; the buckets look almost identical. Easy mistake to make, especially at that hour. What would have been hilariously disastrous would have been if our truck-unloading dudes and/or biscuit maker came in hungover and bleary eyed at o' dark thirty, didn't notice, and we started rolling out trays of biscuits made with cheap frosting, not lard. That would've gotten real interesting.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

You mean lard comes in things other than 50 pound cubes?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

AdorableStar posted:

You mean lard comes in things other than 50 pound cubes?

Ours come in... not quite 5-gallon buckets, like US Foods pickles, but maybe 3-4 gallon buckets, with a handle. Not sure of the weight. I know I got one around the house here somewhere... (they make great planters for tomato plants)

Fake edit: found the Armour brand we used to buy back in the day. 25 lbs. We've since switched brands, but they're also in re-sealable white buckets that my arthritic ribs and I can deadlift onto a prep table with minimal wincing, so I'd guess they're about the same.

Also: only 2 more days. I'm sorry, I'm honestly not trying to rub it in to my suffering industry brothers and sisters, but this feels like it's 30 years ago, when I was in high school and "woo! Only 2 more days of school!" Nothing has been fazing me, I'm smiles all day, even when we're getting slammed and I'm literally soaking thru my shirt in sweat. Because the end is in sight.

And I ain't phonin' poo poo in. I'm gonna rock that fryer so hard this weekend that my name will be spoken of in hushed, reverent tones for years to come.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

AdorableStar posted:

No I'm getting it too. It's PER WEEK right now

When it all calms down we'll go back to 1.5-2k/wk as drivers and warehouse will probably get around the same slightly less because theyre supposed to work less hours

Apply at sysco or us foods lmbo

But this location I'm at is probably special in its needs

I actually looked into it and they’re listing these at $17/hr here, which is…. barely enough to cover rent working full time.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Hauki posted:

I actually looked into it and they’re listing these at $17/hr here, which is…. barely enough to cover rent working full time.

The sucky thing is that it's very location and union strength dependent. Right now they start pickers at 25$ for the bottom of pay.

Supposing they work 10 or so hours a night for 5 days with just OT/regular that's 1375 gross per week

Summer time in this shitshow they've been getting around 15 or more per "night". Add in double time everyday for 6 days a week that's 180 hours = 4500$

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

AdorableStar posted:

The sucky thing is that it's very location and union strength dependent. Right now they start pickers at 25$ for the bottom of pay.

Supposing they work 10 or so hours a night for 5 days with just OT/regular that's 1375 gross per week

Summer time in this shitshow they've been getting around 15 or more per "night". Add in double time everyday for 6 days a week that's 180 hours = 4500$
My husband is earning about that much at the warehouse he works in but that money comes at a huge cost to your life/work balance. He comes home more burned out and angry than I do, and I'm working 3 food service jobs right now.

We both got jobs outside of the industry and even though we have to move to loving Wisconsin for them, I can't wait. I'm jealous of JD only having 2 days. I have three weeks and I'm already acting like I'm done.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Yeah, my $200k comment was more if it was an 8h shift, not 20h life consuming thing.

OTOH, bank that money while you can!

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Yeah idk if $200,000/year is enough for me to go back to 40 hour weeks. Maybe for a month or so? The more I don’t work the more I value my time.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
The slicening draws ever closer. The box has been opened because there was bread needing slicing, but it was decided that it would take too long to set up and so a volunteer was commandeered to slice the bread.... by hand ! :ohdear:

MarsPearl
Feb 19, 2021
Just quit my summer cook job (been a cook on and off since I was 17, transitioning my career into something that's not going to destroy my entire body), 2 people doing a whole budget hotel's worth of guests in a full bar/restaurant for 45p above minimum wage. I have genuinely woken up the day after being beaten up by an actual gang feeling less sore than I felt after most of those shifts. The most hilarious thing is that there's an emergency shortage of cooks and chefs in the uk after brexit and I gave my job a full month's notice instead of the week I legally could have (they punished me by putting me on the worst shifts) and they couldn't find anyone to replace me.

This job payed, again, a pittance, and arranged their shifts so that skilled staff were still on benefits working 5-6 days a week on shifts that would absolutely wreck you. The entire country has a half million strong shortage of hospitality workers and they won't raise wages a cent or even consider not treating chefs like absolute dogshit. Also the last month of my work we had incredible food shortages to the point where a third of the menu was unmakeable (no support from management as to how to deal with that) because brexit has hosed us. Genuinely excited to leave both this industry and this country.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
For everyone in similar situations: When you're doing max covers and the restaurant is packed but it's short staffed...

And since it's short staffed it's saving money on labor (minus all the overtime)...

And since it's not losing money from a lack of customers...

Where do you think that money is going and how much of that is built upon your willingness to give up your physical and mental health?

You are worth more than working for slave wages, because a restaurant that can't produce food can't make money at all. And when you work twice as hard to make that happen, that's the restaurant making twice as much off of your pitiful wage/work eatii. You are being squeezed so others don't have to.

Don't accept it for even one more day.

MarsPearl
Feb 19, 2021
I normally think that way but my main coworker in the kitchen was an older dude struggling with schizophrenia taking care of his kid and every time I called in sick he had to work that same shift alone. So I assumed that giving extra notice would, even if it hosed me a bit, protrect him from that.
Turns out no!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
My final gig as an EC was rife with this. We were somehow bleeding money every month while maxing out cover counts and working with skeleton crew. I was pulling 75 hours weeks with 1 day off and was being told it wasn't enough.

Awfully weird how we were doing so well but making no money, while our sister restaurant across the street was somehow able to stay open with single digit covers, and the company was able to open 3 new spots during the beginning of the pandemic. Lots of creative accounting going on once I started looking at our books.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

MarsPearl posted:

I normally think that way but my main coworker in the kitchen was an older dude struggling with schizophrenia taking care of his kid and every time I called in sick he had to work that same shift alone. So I assumed that giving extra notice would, even if it hosed me a bit, protrect him from that.
Turns out no!

Yeah, this is an important realization. So many of us stick around for our line mates and coworkers, because we take their wellbeing onto ourselves, and restaurant owners absolutely know this and exploit it. They are COUNTING on it.

Nothing you can do will make their lives better, nothing you can do will help them, all you are doing to punishing yourself for no reason. You can't work more to take the load off, because you'll just be squeezed more and have more put on you.

Get the gently caress out and move on. You are not responsible for others in that way. This industry is designed to take everything it can from you and give nothing back, and the shame and guilt built into watching your coworkers go through the same stuff is a critical component in the formula.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 22, 2021

MarsPearl
Feb 19, 2021
I get what you're saying and was about to write about our need as workers to take care of each other even in the face of awful treatment and then realised I was describing a union so hey unionise.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Yeh helping workers recognize their class and unionize is how we help each other.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Correct. Abusing yourself more than you should out of guilt is not the way.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

*gestures at the Goonion thread*

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3909994&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=11

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Last day today. I cried. A lot. Some from relief, some from trepidation out of letting go of the thing that's been my 90% of my life (I'm not super good with change), lots from saying goodbye to old friends and good people. Even though it's not like I'm going to Mars or anything; cripes, my new job is literally right up the street and we --- sorry, they --- do catering for them all the time, lol.

Interesting from my psych major standpoint to see who actually cares about you, and who's just saying that because they don't have you to be their bitch anymore. For example, one shift lead has, all week, been saying "ohhh, I'm gonna miss you so much JD! I can't believe you're leaving!" She was... nice, but always shunting dirty work off on other people the second she got promoted to lead. Well, surprise surprise, when she got cut, she just bolted out the door and didn't even say goodbye to me. Meanwhile, the dishwasher/trainee who's only been there a few weeks, and I just trained on fry, gave me a hug and wished me luck?!

Anyways, one guy whose company I always enjoyed only found out just today that it was my last day, and he arranged an inpromptu after-work party. I got to blaze up and drink beers on a lovely front porch with a bunch of co-workers I've never gotten turnt with, and a good time was had by all.

Now I'm home and going to:
1. Clean my kitchen shoes, sprinkle them with minty foot powder, put them in a bag, and tuck them in the deepest recesses of my closet
2. Take the longest bath of my life, followed by an equally long shower, and loofah years of fryer oil out of me.
3. Continue getting high as balls.
4. Maybe nap??? Holy poo poo I don't have to be up at 4:00 am tomorrow

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

My final gig as an EC was rife with this. We were somehow bleeding money every month while maxing out cover counts and working with skeleton crew. I was pulling 75 hours weeks with 1 day off and was being told it wasn't enough.

Awfully weird how we were doing so well but making no money, while our sister restaurant across the street was somehow able to stay open with single digit covers, and the company was able to open 3 new spots during the beginning of the pandemic. Lots of creative accounting going on once I started looking at our books.

My last exec job the owners owned the building but charged the restaurant rent, paid themselves an ownership fee and a "management and consulting fee" because they formed another LLC and hired themselves, all above NOI and then they'd bitch and moan about how unprofitable the restaurant half of the hotel and bistro was every month on our p&l call while praising all the money the hotel made. They paid themselves more than my salary to be "food and beverage consultants."

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Yeah, this is an important realization. So many of us stick around for our line mates and coworkers, because we take their wellbeing onto ourselves, and restaurant owners absolutely know this and exploit it. They are COUNTING on it.

Nothing you can do will make their lives better, nothing you can do will help them, all you are doing to punishing yourself for no reason. You can't work more to take the load off, because you'll just be squeezed more and have more put on you.

Get the gently caress out and move on. You are not responsible for others in that way. This industry is designed to take everything it can from you and give nothing back, and the shame and guilt built into watching your coworkers go through the same stuff is a critical component in the formula.

Yeah, that kept me in the bakery for at least six months longer than my health could support, simply because there was no one else to do the work. I even tried to train a new guy to have him quit on the second week, and kept on after he quit despite having taken two days off in two years and puttng off gallbladder surgery for months because I couldn't afford it or the time off recovery would take.

That was a terrible plan, and made the eventual emergency surgery and recovery more painful and longer lasting.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Last day today. I cried. A lot. Some from relief, some from trepidation out of letting go of the thing that's been my 90% of my life (I'm not super good with change), lots from saying goodbye to old friends and good people. Even though it's not like I'm going to Mars or anything; cripes, my new job is literally right up the street and we --- sorry, they --- do catering for them all the time, lol.

Interesting from my psych major standpoint to see who actually cares about you, and who's just saying that because they don't have you to be their bitch anymore. For example, one shift lead has, all week, been saying "ohhh, I'm gonna miss you so much JD! I can't believe you're leaving!" She was... nice, but always shunting dirty work off on other people the second she got promoted to lead. Well, surprise surprise, when she got cut, she just bolted out the door and didn't even say goodbye to me. Meanwhile, the dishwasher/trainee who's only been there a few weeks, and I just trained on fry, gave me a hug and wished me luck?!

Anyways, one guy whose company I always enjoyed only found out just today that it was my last day, and he arranged an inpromptu after-work party. I got to blaze up and drink beers on a lovely front porch with a bunch of co-workers I've never gotten turnt with, and a good time was had by all.

Now I'm home and going to:
1. Clean my kitchen shoes, sprinkle them with minty foot powder, put them in a bag, and tuck them in the deepest recesses of my closet
2. Take the longest bath of my life, followed by an equally long shower, and loofah years of fryer oil out of me.
3. Continue getting high as balls.
4. Maybe nap??? Holy poo poo I don't have to be up at 4:00 am tomorrow

That's so good JD, very happy it ended on a sweet note like that. Don't worry, the fish out of water feeling won't go away for a long time lol

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

That's so good JD, very happy it ended on a sweet note like that. Don't worry, the fish out of water feeling won't go away for a long time lol

Thx man. Yeah, I think the biggest adjustment is gonna be watching my language. No more:
1. Using the work "gently caress" for any and all occasions
2. Giving positional/hazard callouts, which we would do as joke for EVERYTHING. Like I'd make our hot honey sauce, then head to dish with the bowl and spatula and say "Comin' behind ya, comin' down hot and sticky." Which then leads to:
3. "Just like your mom"/"That's what she said"/etc
4. Playing "radio roulette", an informal game BOH and FOH shared. A song comes on the radio, and you try to be the first person yell out the name of the band. Bonus "points" (we didn't actually keep score) if you could slip it into a sentence before someone else calls it.

Eg., one day we're listening to the 80's station, and I casually said "y'know what I miss about living so close to the ocean, before I moved here to the mountains?"
"What's that?"
"Seeing a FLOCK OF SEAGULLS."
"Fuuuuuck, JD wins today."

So I'm afraid I'm just gonna blurt out "PINK FLOYD" or something and they're gonna look at me funny.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 23, 2021

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Congrats on getting out, it's a little weird going into a workplace where you have to filter your words instead of being encouraged to just get ribald as gently caress and everyone hoots and hollers.

I got really lucky in my first job leaving the restaurant industry, it was a warehouse where one of our biggest clients was a website where you could mail a bag of gummy dicks to someone's address with a note to "eat a bag of dicks"

When you are just constantly casually discussing dicks, in a 100% business sense, it's... not quite the same as working in a kitchen. But it has the same energy. I used to work in a kitchen with a guy that would sometimes fold the towels into a dick and balls origami at the end of the night and leave it on the clipboard that that GM would use in the morning for incoming deliveries. Anywhere else, you can't do that.

But seriously congrats on getting out. Kitchen work is brutal and gives you a work ethic and physical efficiency that puts you in another league when you go somewhere else. Doesn't matter if it has anything to do with cooking. Hope you land on your feet and hit the ground running. and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

WITCHCRAFT posted:

Kitchen work is brutal and gives you a work ethic and physical efficiency that puts you in another league when you go somewhere else.

This is so fuckin true. I run circles around most people at my current job and have won like 2 recognitions in less than a year and am the front runner for promotion to department management. And it's so god damned easy. Like what I consider basic work ethic and speed is absolutely not the standard at all.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Aug 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Back in the restaurant game. I had quit four years ago to manage in the Arctic, but job sucked and my kid got super sick.. so I texted the owner of a local franchise.

In Ontario, so expected an offer close to minimum wage- initially got offered $18. But then a grocery store my wife worked at reached out and asked if I wanted to manage their hot foods department. So I told the franchise owner, and got offered $20/hr, benefits, signing bonus, guaranteed hours, and a bonus for staying on at 3 months and at 6 months.

Just as a line cook. No management responsibilities. No extra work. I work 8-10 hours a day and leave. I haven’t done anything but manage for years, and I loving missed cooking.