Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

DurosKlav posted:

I'm usually not too bothered by over powered character pulling a thing out of their rear end, but developing the teleport magic in like 5 seconds was a bit too much. Why even bother putting up that kind of barrier if its so easily broken through.

To be fair, he already had teleport, it just would have cooked anyone but himself or cargo before the asspull.

It's still an asspull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Gyges posted:

He's been teleporting for awhile. The new development was actually just turning it into a mass teleport.

This. The magic isn't unknown the only issues being cost of use en masses*.

* In the LN, Gazel mentions magic similar to Rimuru's being used in the past, but being banned in human warfare when one army used it to annihilate another with a pincers. Think Hannibal in the Battle of Cannae, but bigger scale and with magic. It also required an entire legion of mages to cover the cost.

Nitrousoxide posted:

To be fair, he already had teleport, it just would have cooked anyone but himself or cargo before the asspull.

It's still an asspull.

That's where the costs come in. He now has the magicules to create a protective layer to protect them from tha radiation. There was more, but it's been some time since I last read this LN.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 4, 2021

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Just checked and the official translations are super caught up with LN11 and Manga16.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Is there gonna be another fireworks factory this season? Magic politics is fun and all but I’d love some action.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I'm fairly certain we reach the fireworks factory next episode

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Is there gonna be another fireworks factory this season? Magic politics is fun and all but I’d love some action.

The next few episodes is where things should start with a three pronged war. War of Eurazania, Raid onto Clayman's Castle, and the Banquet of Walpurgis

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

So uh, when do we get to the obstacles for Mr Slime and co? Or are we just in for a season of smooth sailing where everything goes to plan because that sounds dreadfully boring.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The whole point of the Clayman arc is mostly to show that he's convinced himself he's a chess grandmaster because he's been beating Middle School kids at chess. So all his complex schemes basically just resulted in pushing Rimuru across the board and turning him from a Pawn to a Queen.

I mean, all his plans have been dumb with very questionable mechanics to leverage the end result into Clayman becoming an Awakened Demon Lord. It's just that until Rimuru showed up, there were apparently a max of 5 competent people in the entire vicinity of Clayman's sphere of influence. All 5 being people either working with Clayman or who plans specifically avoided.

Edit: A couple of weird choices this episode though. Tear doing a little Peanuts dance to the side when Geld attacked Footman, and Albis slowly stuttering forward when first facing off against ice sword guy. Tear dancing sort of makes sense, except it was 1966 CBS animation eyecatchingly janky and looped. Albis was clearly supposed to look like snake slithering, but was way, way too slow and, once again, janky as gently caress. I'm very basic bitch uncultured when it comes to animation, so when I notice bad animation it's very glaring.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 18, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Gyges posted:

The whole point of the Clayman arc is mostly to show that he's convinced himself he's a chess grandmaster because he's been beating Middle School kids at chess. So all his complex schemes basically just resulted in pushing Rimuru across the board and turning him from a Pawn to a Queen.

I mean, all his plans have been dumb with very questionable mechanics to leverage the end result into Clayman becoming an Awakened Demon Lord. It's just that until Rimuru showed up, there were apparently a max of 5 competent people in the entire vicinity of Clayman's sphere of influence. All 5 being people either working with Clayman or who plans specifically avoided.

That sounds like a pretty bad plot structure. If they wanted to tell that story it should have been from Clayman’s perspective and all of Slime’s actions and plans in the background aren’t revealed to the audience until Clayman’s house of cards keeps collapsing. Being told what the plan is ahead of time is dull, even more so when it then goes off flawlessly. Who would watch Ocean’s 11 where they come up with a plan and competently and effectively execute the heist with no hiccups. That’d be a boring rear end movie.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Nitrousoxide posted:

That sounds like a pretty bad plot structure. If they wanted to tell that story it should have been from Clayman’s perspective and all of Slime’s actions and plans in the background aren’t revealed to the audience until Clayman’s house of cards keeps collapsing. Being told what the plan is ahead of time is dull, even more so when it then goes off flawlessly. Who would watch Ocean’s 11 where they come up with a plan and competently and effectively execute the heist with no hiccups. That’d be a boring rear end movie.

I can't go into exacts due to spoilers(as usual), but Clayman's thing is his overwhelming arrogance combined with a desire to live up to the standard set by his "siblings" in the Clown Posse(yes he's part of that group). The arrogance basically leads him to treat everyone not part of his "family" as little more than disposable tools of varying degrees of quality and importance to his goal of seeking power by awakening.

Laplace commented on this a bit in his discussion with Clayman asking him to take it easy and not rush things.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Does the OP to this season have the word "shawty" in it or am I just hearing things?

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I love that Gobta is apparently a lot stronger than he thinks he is.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Nullsmack posted:

I love that Gobta is apparently a lot stronger than he thinks he is.

Gobta is proof that you can become badass just by osmosis in this setting.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
https://youtu.be/1JMSeRPamGo

She says shouting.

From looking for that, I learned that she was apparently one of those ani-cover singers on YouTube and ended up getting her own song as an OP. She also does a Japanese and English version of the song.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

doomrider7 posted:

I can't go into exacts due to spoilers(as usual), but Clayman's thing is his overwhelming arrogance combined with a desire to live up to the standard set by his "siblings" in the Clown Posse(yes he's part of that group). The arrogance basically leads him to treat everyone not part of his "family" as little more than disposable tools of varying degrees of quality and importance to his goal of seeking power by awakening.

Laplace commented on this a bit in his discussion with Clayman asking him to take it easy and not rush things.

Well that's fine, but it doesn't address the fact that all we, the viewers, are seeing is just easy victory after easy victory. There's no drama of near defeat, no pathos of seeing someone who thinks they're doing some villainous scheme come undone. There's no emotion for any of the characters that we actually care about, that I've seen.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Claymen is just there to set up the power difference between real and fake demon lords.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

A jargogle posted:

Well that's fine, but it doesn't address the fact that all we, the viewers, are seeing is just easy victory after easy victory. There's no drama of near defeat, no pathos of seeing someone who thinks they're doing some villainous scheme come undone. There's no emotion for any of the characters that we actually care about, that I've seen.

Our hero is pretty much invincible at this point, but that doesn't mean that there are no stakes, they just aren't as easily distilled as your average shonen battles, where a losing condition is losing your life. It's a lot like going from low-level D&D to high-level, you stop having nail-biting fights and the tension is on if you can resolve the other situations before your opponent completes their preparations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

A jargogle posted:

This isn't really a series about whether or not out guys can punch harder than their guys. Our guys are super top tier, and instead of trying to rule the world or beat all the bad guys their goal is to have a super sweet city and an awesome time with their bros.

Occasionally we'll actually have a fight where it's an actual battle, but punching things isn't really what this story is about. In this case, the point of Clayman isn't to pose a significant threat where we're worried if the Slime Gang can pull this off. The point is to use a total piece of poo poo to set up a situation where Rimuru and his subordinates have fun cleaning up a mess and in the process establish a better understanding of the true structure of the world. It's a world building info dump delivered by crushing an annoying bully with a massively over inflated ego.

Remember that Rimuru's sworn brother is one of the 3 most powerful entities in the whole world. Half of this season was a straight up slice of life were we learned that Geld is the bestest hero of children everywhere.

Speaking of which, I love that all Orcs rock the fat dad body despite being super strong and fit.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Gyges posted:

This isn't really a series about whether or not out guys can punch harder than their guys. Our guys are super top tier, and instead of trying to rule the world or beat all the bad guys their goal is to have a super sweet city and an awesome time with their bros.

Occasionally we'll actually have a fight where it's an actual battle, but punching things isn't really what this story is about. In this case, the point of Clayman isn't to pose a significant threat where we're worried if the Slime Gang can pull this off. The point is to use a total piece of poo poo to set up a situation where Rimuru and his subordinates have fun cleaning up a mess and in the process establish a better understanding of the true structure of the world. It's a world building info dump delivered by crushing an annoying bully with a massively over inflated ego.

Remember that Rimuru's sworn brother is one of the 3 most powerful entities in the whole world. Half of this season was a straight up slice of life were we learned that Geld is the bestest hero of children everywhere.

Speaking of which, I love that all Orcs rock the fat dad body despite being super strong and fit.

No one is saying Slime guy needs to be a Goku. Slime guy DOES need to have challenges he struggles to overcome, moments where it looks like he will fail to overcome his antagonist. Even in man v nature stories like The Hatchet, a book for children, you have the protagonist struggling and sometimes failing to succeed against his antagonist.

If he just sails from "crisis" to "crisis" easily conquering each as he confronts them then there's no suspense or excitement.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The next arc after Clayman is conflict rich while they try and create a new Falmus, while a better puppet master villains is introduced. The limiting factor for quite a lot of the arcs though is that Rimuru and the general Tempest population are so OP that conflicts are almost never a question of if the gang is going to succeed but rather how far they're going to be pushed.

It's like Overlord(the little I watched), where it's never really a question of whether or not our guys are going to win. The story is pretty close to tacitly understanding that both sides know that the protagonist is going to win, so let's just have fun loving around on the way.

Maybe I'm just reading this differently than other people though.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Overlord works far better as a light novel where everybody just sort of gets on board with the increasingly evil skeleton daddy.

Slime works best when it’s a character narrative of them interacting and growing. That doesn’t translate well to high action anime

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Gyges posted:

I'm not saying that the conflict needs to be fighting, nor that it necessarily needs to be political intrigue, nor that there even needs to be conflict (I quite liked diaries). At the moment though, the story is putting the conflict front and center, but fails to give it any hooks. It's not interesting, dramatic, nor urgent. It just feels hollow.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I just wanna see dio get slimed

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Gyges posted:

Gyges posted:

The next arc after Clayman is conflict rich while they try and create a new Falmus, while a better puppet master villains is introduced. The limiting factor for quite a lot of the arcs though is that Rimuru and the general Tempest population are so OP that conflicts are almost never a question of if the gang is going to succeed but rather how far they're going to be pushed.

It's like Overlord(the little I watched), where it's never really a question of whether or not our guys are going to win. The story is pretty close to tacitly understanding that both sides know that the protagonist is going to win, so let's just have fun loving around on the way.

Maybe I'm just reading this differently than other people though.

M_Gargantua posted:

Overlord works far better as a light novel where everybody just sort of gets on board with the increasingly evil skeleton daddy.

Slime works best when it’s a character narrative of them interacting and growing. That doesn’t translate well to high action anime

These are all very good at explaining things. Too add, there's a certain level of satisfaction in seeing a perfectly executed plan come to fruition as well as the anime's poor translations of events from the LN and manga to anime format where the fights could be better polished and choreographed as well as some character relationships better explained.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Where we are in the anime is where I nearly lost interest in the manga too, for the same reason. "Main character skates through conflict with no problem" is just not compelling. I see what they were trying to do, but the clever turnabout aspect of it never clicked. Everyone else being starry-eyed at the MC's amazingness just made it worse.

It does get better, thought I don't think it's ever quite gotten back to its previous standard.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Gonna echo some of the sentiment here. I had this on my list of things to read and finally made my way to it and I just don't get how its so popular. I love slice of life mangas, so I don't need big conflict in a story to read it, but I don't think slime works really as SoL and a lot of the story is moving forward through conflict anyway. I think the most interesting thing in the story is the existence of other people who have crossed over so I'd like them to explore that more or the summoning thing. From what I have seen, most stuff based on light novels kind of sucks in some way, excepting some like Konosuba. Its just some of the most juvenile power fantasy wish fulfillment never losing BS I've ever seen.

I really wanted to understand what the interest in this series was, I think these are the pros I guess I'll put it in spoilers:

Good
- Lots of varied characters and a big world, probably one of the best things about the series
- The main character has a worthwhile goal
- The stuff with the other worlders being summoned and abandoned and poo poo is interesting
- The other worlders having varied motivations is nice

Bad
- Zero tension in any of the fights, the main characters are ridiculous
- The story is not written in a way to even fake tension
- The protagonist is so OP as to be untouchable but this is related to the former 2 points

The bad stuff really out weighs anything else because it just makes reading boring. I think there's a world where this is a pure SOL manga with all the epic fights and poo poo happening in the background but the protagonist groups OP powers just keep them clear of any conflict and they go about their day, but the manga definitely centers the battles too much for my liking.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
When I first started watching it I thought it was a parody or something honestly. It’s a guilty pleasure and I’m not quite sure why I watch it.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I feel like, if this were better done, it would just the B plot while say some interpersonal conflicts or something goes on with the A plot. All of this is a foregone conclusion. We need something to bite into here.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mirage posted:

Where we are in the anime is where I nearly lost interest in the manga too, for the same reason. "Main character skates through conflict with no problem" is just not compelling. I see what they were trying to do, but the clever turnabout aspect of it never clicked. Everyone else being starry-eyed at the MC's amazingness just made it worse.

It does get better, thought I don't think it's ever quite gotten back to its previous standard.

I think that this is a pretty common issue in the fantasy genre. The tendency to want the story to end with the MC being the bestest most powerful in the world leads to unsustainable power creep. So the reader starts off loving the growth of the character, but at some point is frustrated with how the story continues as the setting is changed from what first caught their interest.

It's much harder to write good stories about an unstoppable character than it is to write a story about a simply powerful character. I think the series does get better about it than most, but there is definitely an issue with the author not working hard enough to overcome the problem.

In the manga and the anime, the bigger problem with the Clayman arc is that they've decided to go into detail about it. Stretching out the conflict beyond it's foundation. When I read it in the novel, I remember the run between Valdora showing up again and the end of Walpurgus being pretty quick. The novel's pacing was much more satisfying for an arc where the point is some rear end in a top hat thought he was playing 5 D Chess with the world, but he was really just starting to annoy the big kids.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Didn’t he almost die earlier this season?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The fight against the Orc Lord had the potential to be metal as hell but instead it came in the middle of the season and they completely neutered any question of who would be able to eat who. After that i completely lost any hopes of the story having any stakes

SNAKEZONE
Jul 2, 2003

But what if I don't want to ride the snake?
I thought it was pretty messed up that the ice sword guy criticized the snake lady for having goblin fighters to help her in their one-on-one duel, when 30 seconds earlier he had his own group of minions attack her

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Well, you do have to be a pretty big piece of poo poo to be the only guy following Clayman of your own volition. Maybe even a bigger piece of poo poo than Clayman?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Gyges posted:

Well, you do have to be a pretty big piece of poo poo to be the only guy following Clayman of your own volition. Maybe even a bigger piece of poo poo than Clayman?

Greed and Fear are excellent motivators for assholes. The world map that also has some census information about each country literally lists Jistav as totalitarian territory ruled via fear and terror by Clayman.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

doomrider7 posted:

Greed and Fear are excellent motivators for assholes. The world map that also has some census information about each country literally lists Jistav as totalitarian territory ruled via fear and terror by Clayman.

Yeah, but it seems like he's the rear end in a top hat who looked at the situation in Jistav and said to himself, "Hell yea, let me get in on that. No need to entrap me into some sort of heart replacing faustian bargain. Who's got two thumbs, likes what he sees here, and thinks this is the best environment to thrive in? This Guy!"

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Gyges posted:

Yeah, but it seems like he's the rear end in a top hat who looked at the situation in Jistav and said to himself, "Hell yea, let me get in on that. No need to entrap me into some sort of heart replacing faustian bargain. Who's got two thumbs, likes what he sees here, and thinks this is the best environment to thrive in? This Guy!"

Still falls within those two. You may think the situation is hosed up, but are you REALLY going to paint a target on yourself like that by voicing an opinion about it when the mofo can hear you EVERYWHERE there? Better to just suck up and make as much coin as you can while the getting is good. Still a humongous rear end in a top hat in the same vein as Gelmud(remember him?). Most of the other Five Fingers were enslaved to Clayman in some way(Piora was killed offscreen by Diablo diverting Larsen's attack so now idea of her status).

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 21, 2021

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
My understanding is dude came from outside the country having been an adventurer or whatever.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
No idea how to properly embed this link, but here's a preview of the upcoming arc.

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/840455800304435231/878622283080548392/y2mate.com_-_TV_2PV4_1080p.mp4

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

This season is going to be 2/3 endless meetings and 1/3 battle with no tension because Rimuru's posse outclassed their enemies so much.
Like I mean
Milim and Rimuru's posse decided to have a tournament arc in the middle of the battle because they were so bored.
This is honestly some of the worst pacing I've seen in an anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Nitrousoxide posted:

This season is going to be 2/3 endless meetings and 1/3 battle with no tension because Rimuru's posse outclassed their enemies so much.
Like I mean
Milim and Rimuru's posse decided to have a tournament arc in the middle of the battle because they were so bored.
This is honestly some of the worst pacing I've seen in an anime

I hope your realization comes soon, my dude. Nobody is making you watch it.