Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Platystemon posted:

She was following CDC guidance.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Solarin posted:

think of how many thousands of households are doing this same thing right now

i would imagine a lot of parents dont understand why they cant send their covid exposed/positive children to school, partly bc they couldnt give a drat about anyone else, but also bc we’re not really doing anything to contain covid so why should they lose their babysitter?

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
free*

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Forseti posted:

:lol: got this today. So loving weird how people don't trust the vaccine is free. I guess I shouldn't have had insurance!

The vaccine *is* free, that's just paying for the needle and the time of the person shooting you up.

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

oh dip, is that from the Threadless batch? That turned out really well. Thanks!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

please stop calling teachers “babysitters”
jfc

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
the U.S. won't run out of oxygen like India did, right?

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

Petey posted:

i know there's a been a ton of drama with the falcon guy but where can i buy one of these shirts and/or get the artwork to make it myself

ONLY YOUR RESPIRATOR TRUST

I guess I should repost this for the new thread since I am a SHAMELESS CLOUT PARASITE. If anybody wants these in no way Limited Edition shirts...

:w00t: Get yer piping hot t-shirts (or mugs or face diapers) here :w00t:

https://rubby.threadless.com/designs/no-one/mens/t-shirt/regular?variation=front&color=black

They even threw a free shipping code for anything over $45: FREESHIP821 until 8/22

There are even baby and kids sizes, which, lmao

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

buy Walensky an account

and then ban it

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Stevie Lee posted:

We won't until we do.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

remembering around this time last year when we were discussing whether or not REINFECTION?! could even happen

and now people are just nonchalantly dropping "oh yeah, this person I know had covid 3 times"

i remember threadbanned OOCC mocked thread for thinking it was a thing

sucks to always be right

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavi...-overnight.html posted:

Oregon sets new daily record with 2,941 coronavirus cases, hospitalizations up 11% overnight

Oregon set a new daily record Tuesday with 2,941 identified coronavirus cases, shattering the old mark, as the number of Oregonians hospitalized with COVID-19 soared higher.

Health officials reported 838 people are currently hospitalized in Oregon with COVID-19. That’s 86 more COVID-19 patients than Monday, or an overnight increase of 11%.
(..)
:coronatoot:

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

euphronius posted:

please stop calling teachers “babysitters”
jfc

i teach fourth grade

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’ve heard so many people irl say they don’t need a mask / vaccine because they are “naturally immune “ lamo

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The vaccine *is* free, that's just paying for the needle and the time of the person shooting you up.

:hmmyes:

VOTE!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

cool cool COOL COOL COOL.. I did have plans to potentially travel with my kiddos this week going to waterfalls and the like but no loving way I'm driving anywhere knowing that if we get in a crash we could be sitting in the halls of an ER full of unvaccinated chuds

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
UPDATE: According to the Numbers from Yesterday,
Total Hospitalizations are 88,481

That means that we are going to surpass the Hospitalization Peak on 8/26 - 26 days to get to 128k instead of 62.
AND

That means that we won't have any staffed hospital beds left for people by 9/22....right when all the kids start showing up from beginning of the school year.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Platystemon posted:

I think CDC guidance was that vaccinated people didn't have to quarantine after an exposure, but should still isolate after a confirmed positive which they were publicly stating wasn't possible at the time. So the confusion is understandable.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Der Meister posted:

reading or posting in gbs is verboten

I think this thread and the GBS thread should swap subforums, see if it breaks anyone's brain.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I’m serious. She checked the boxes.

CDC posted:

I think or know I had COVID-19, and I had symptoms

You can be around others after:

• 10 days since symptoms first appeared and
  • 24 hours with no fever without the use of fever-reducing medications and
  • Other symptoms of COVID-19 are improving*
*Loss of taste and smell may persist for weeks or months after recovery and need not delay the end of isolation​

Note that these recommendations do not apply to people with severe COVID-19 or with weakened immune systems (immunocompromised).

She was in her ninth day of symptoms on the twenty‐first and brunched on the twenty‐fifth.

She had never had a fever.

Bruch day minus three had this update:

quote:

I'm finally feeling less like death today, able to get up and walk around a bit. I haven't worked out in over a week, which is weird for me, but hopefully will be able to in a few days. I'm still congested but can taste things and breathe through my nose again. My ears have mostly stopped popping. I'm doing a fourth test in the morning which will hopefully be negative. If it is, some friends from out of town want to meet up. We had plans to meet last weekend but canceled for obvious reasons. I told them it depends on how we feel, but if we do we'll be masked and outdoors.

I'm just glad to not feel like death again. It feels weird having enough energy to actually get up and walk around, or clean the house and do things without feeling like I'm going to fall down.

That’s improvement and the third and final bullet point met. By current CDC guidance, she was good to go.

The CDC is dumber than GBS.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 18, 2021

Apr 7, 2003

Gio posted:

i remember threadbanned OOCC mocked thread for thinking it was a thing

sucks to always be right

General accepted public opinion for, like, a loving year now has been that people who don't have the sniffles or aren't actively coughing can't spread the disease, DESPITE the fact that academic information has been freely available this entire time stating that the disease has an incubation period of up to two weeks and that the majority of transmission is by asymptomatic people during the incubation period.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

The money is for my time and equipment, any vaccination that happens is between two consenting adults.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I like the dumb Oster-like talking about kids being safe for in-person instruction/cant spread the disease has been shot down by the wave of new research.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

super sweet best pal posted:

I think this thread and the GBS thread should swap subforums, see if it breaks anyone's brain.

what is this heresy

Apr 7, 2003

etalian posted:

I like the dumb Oster-like talking about kids being safe for in-person instruction/cant spread the disease has been shot down by the wave of new research.

Anyone who has ever spent a moment caring for children knew that kids are massive disease vectors and reservoirs and you can find over a century of academic writing about how respiratory diseases spread in school-aged populations.

"Covid doesn't affect kids" was deliberate, cynical misinformation that resulted in an unknowable but likely substantial body count.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

General accepted public opinion for, like, a loving year now has been that people who don't have the sniffles or aren't actively coughing can't spread the disease, DESPITE the fact that academic information has been freely available this entire time stating that the disease has an incubation period of up to two weeks and that the majority of transmission is by asymptomatic people during the incubation period.

There was a short but impactful period in February of 2020 where the medical equivalents of Nate Silver bullied the people who had first sounding the alarm on asymptomatic spread into retracting the claim.

The general public’s understanding would be spotty regardless, but those pedants have a lot of blood on their hands.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Hell yeah, just walked by a dude in the office who was wearing a Sturgis shirt.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Anyone who has ever spent a moment caring for children knew that kids are massive disease vectors and reservoirs and you can find over a century of academic writing about how respiratory diseases spread in school-aged populations.

"Covid doesn't affect kids" was deliberate, cynical misinformation that resulted in an unknowable but likely substantial body count.

they’re also much more willing to do what needs to be done to care for others like wear masks

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

UFOTacoMan posted:

RIP

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Platystemon posted:

I’m serious. She checked the boxes.

She was in her ninth day of symptoms on the twenty‐first and brunched on the twenty‐fifth.

She had never had a fever.

Bruch day minus three had this update:

That’s improvement and the third and final bullet point met. By current CDC guidance, she was good to go.

The CDC is dumber than GBS.

i am going to become the joker

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 375 days!

Stevie Lee posted:

Of course not. Just like the delta variant, that could never happen here

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

UFOTacoMan posted:

Nice knowing you lmao

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

Pillowpants posted:

UPDATE: According to the Numbers from Yesterday,
Total Hospitalizations are 88,481

That means that we are going to surpass the Hospitalization Peak on 8/26 - 26 days to get to 128k instead of 62.
AND

That means that we won't have any staffed hospital beds left for people by 9/22....right when all the kids start showing up from beginning of the school year.

lmao!

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Yeah I was gonna say, pretty sure it was shot down by existing research. Much like her thesis.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

It's my booster and I want it now!

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

I’ve heard so many people irl say they don’t need a mask / vaccine because they are “naturally immune “ lamo

I'm unnaturally immune

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

super sweet best pal posted:

Never.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Platystemon posted:

There was a short but impactful period in February of 2020 where the medical equivalents of Nate Silver bullied the people who had first sounding the alarm on asymptomatic spread into retracting the claim.

The general public’s understanding would be spotty regardless, but those pedants have a lot of blood on their hands.

aren't they still being pedantic morons about how it is spread, trying to "well actually" about it not being airborne because it is in microscopic droplets (which are carried in the... air)?

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
lmmfao
https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-vaccine-booster-shots-a10daad08f6d47aa5beca0b4da9da9d2

quote:

NEW YORK (AP) — U.S. health officials Wednesday recommended all Americans get COVID-19 booster shots to shore up their protection amid the surging delta variant and evidence that the vaccines' effectiveness is falling.

The plan, as outlined by the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and other top authorities, calls for an extra dose eight months after people get their second shot of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine. The doses could begin the week of Sept. 20.

Health officials said people who received the single-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine will also probably need extra shots. But they said they are awaiting more data and have yet to work out the details.

The overall plan is awaiting a Food and Drug Administration evaluation of the safety and effectiveness of a third dose, the officials said.

In a statement, health officials said it is “very clear” that the vaccines' protection against infection wanes over time, and now, with the highly contagious delta variant spreading rapidly, “we are starting to see evidence of reduced protection against mild and moderate disease.”

“Based on our latest assessment, the current protection against severe disease, hospitalization and death could diminish in the months ahead,” they said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
first year of daycare sucks for parents from all the poo poo you get from the kid but COVID respects that

real cool vibes from Covid-19