Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

sourdough posted:

ECG seems like the sort of thing you either don't need or need something actually medical, not a smartwatch
The idea behind this one-lead ECG is that when the PPG sensor keeps spotting random high heart rate when you're at rest, that you get alerted and do the ECG, to spot atrial fibrillation, and then tell you to do to the doctor, if it spots it. Ain't useful for more, and apparently does its job for a lot of people that live with undetected. Beyond AFib detection, it's pretty useless.

I would have figured that some people attempted to do some deep learning shenanigans to try to spot things in the recording, but nothing seen so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
Flossy Carter seemingly ignored whatever the embargo is and posted one of his "real reviews" over the weekend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0x2Kr57W9Y

Fairly in-depth (52 minutes) so you should be able to seek around and get an answer to whatever question you have. Or watch the entire thing if you enjoy his shtick.

Answered the most important thing for me, bundled notifications from 1.0 are seemingly back:

Unclear whether its innate (the current Wear OS 3 emulator just has the awful 2.0 implementation of listing every one individually) or a OneUI thing which Samsung added (because IIRC their Tizen watches bundled notifications) but its something I'll stand up and clap for.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It looks like more in depth videos are coming out for all the Samsung stuff today, so I wonder if they just gave them free reign to talk about what they want.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
The Verge review up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5DlpONIW5M

https://www.theverge.com/22629459/galaxy-watch-4-classic-review-bixby-google-wearos

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Looks nice, can't wait!

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Looks good but that score is a bit iffy (typical Verge Samsung deduction). All those improvements for just a 7/10 (lower than the previous Galaxy watches!)? Even the cons are similar to the Apple Watch 6 which got a 9/10.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Dieter always makes a big deal about using a Samsung watch on a non-samsung phone and I've never understood it. It's a non-issue. You install a plugin and use a different app to set it up. That's about the extent of it. It works just as well day to day with no workarounds or anything needed.

Hell, my Galaxy watches have always been quicker and more reliable in reconnecting to my phone (Pixel, OnePlus) than Wear 2.0 was.

Also, Google and Samsung both said that Assistant is coming and Samsung has indicated that they are going to be moving away from Samsung Health, so there's going to be less Samsung ecosystem as time goes on.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I decided to cancel my preorder and wait until more of the things that are "coming" are actually in place.

At this point my Active2 still works fine. I don't have a Samsung phone so this would be a fairly minor upgrade right now, all things considered.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Just dunno if that $150 trade in value is going to last.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Having Maps is a pretty big upgrade.

The reason to act right now would be trade in credit amount and bonus offers. $150 for that active 2 and then $50 credit for other stuff (like an additional charger) makes it a compelling time to do it if you are happy with the experience thus far.

A legit non-samsung option is likely still a year away at this point.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Fossil sent out an email the day of Samsung's announcement that the Gen 6 was coming. Who knows what that will end up looking like.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It will end up looking like a Wear 2.0 device with a 4100.

Until Wear 3.0 is running on silicon other than the W920, I would be very skeptical on the end state of the device.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

This looks pretty much like what I expected, seems like a win/win for Samsung getting Google services and maybe better apps and a foundation for other folks to do something good down the road.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bull3964 posted:

A legit non-samsung option is likely still a year away at this point.
I've been going back and forth on canceling my preorder as information has come out, but this is basically where it has ended up so far.

I don't really want this much Samsung, but my alternative options are to buy one of the two that will get upgrades and hope it works out or hope my old watch lasts until the 2022 product cycle comes around.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Speaking of which, Gen 6 Fossils did leak briefly on Amazon. Looks to be around the $300 pricepoint with the 4100+ (first watch with it). Seems not quite worth it until we know what Wear 3.0 will work like on a 4100 chip.

Also, I'm sorry if anyone was on the fence and had a tradein but didn't pull the trigger. Samsung has slashed the tradein values after things have been live for a week.

Watch 3

Was $185, Now $130

Active 2

Was $150, Now $80

Generic Fossil

Was $100, Now $35

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 18, 2021

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Speaking of which, Gen 6 Fossils did leak briefly on Amazon. Looks to be around the $300 pricepoint with the 4100+ (first watch with it). Seems not quite worth it until we know what Wear 3.0 will work like on a 4100 chip.

Also, I'm sorry if anyone was on the fence and had a tradein but didn't pull the trigger. Samsung has slashed the tradein values after things have been live for a week.

Watch 3

Was $185, Now $130

Active 2

Was $150, Now $60

Generic Fossil

Was $100, Now $35

Brutal

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Honestly, $35 may still be a fair price for a Fossil sport right now (or any 512mb wear OS watch.)

I will say though, for as much as I'm looking forward to the Samsung devices shipping, I still really enjoy my Ticwatch pro and my Fossil Gen 5 isn't terrible yet. Hopefully the Ticwatch does well with the Wear 3.0 update and while the Gen 5 will never get it, it will still likely see occasional use on my wrist.

Then there's my lonely Misft Vapor X that has wear 3100 and 512mb but somehow isn't as terrible as the Fossil Sport. I got that thing for $42 shipped so I'm not too invested in using it for much, I honestly might be able to get close to that selling it.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 18, 2021

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Apparently I only got the watch active 2 in March, for $100 new direct from Samsung. If the goal was to get people to upgrade, that initial trade in value worked!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

One of the other reasons why I like Samsung watch hardware, they are one of the few manufacturers to use screws and an o-ring to construct their device rather than glue. So you actually have a prayer of replacing the battery someday down the line.

The Ticwatch also appears to be using screws too. Given the battery woes I've had with Fossil watches, I think this is one thing that's going to hit my must have list. Honestly, a bigger deal should be made out of this in general. These are tiny batteries that see high cycles, watches should be constructed so you can easily replace the battery without destroying the device.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Wow ECG was approved for the watch 4 Australia. Apple watch only got that in April. If they could get blood pressure monitoring too it would be a game changer for me even though I've been underwhelmed otherwise.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

One of the other reasons why I like Samsung watch hardware, they are one of the few manufacturers to use screws and an o-ring to construct their device rather than glue. So you actually have a prayer of replacing the battery someday down the line.

The Ticwatch also appears to be using screws too. Given the battery woes I've had with Fossil watches, I think this is one thing that's going to hit my must have list. Honestly, a bigger deal should be made out of this in general. These are tiny batteries that see high cycles, watches should be constructed so you can easily replace the battery without destroying the device.

Given how poorly the back actually stays attached to Fossil watches you'd think they'd use screws simply to prevent it from falling off constantly.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

LastInLine posted:

Given how poorly the back actually stays attached to Fossil watches you'd think they'd use screws simply to prevent it from falling off constantly.

That's a feature, if the back comes off they'll just give you a new watch. It's a free trade in!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Lk6SyvPqw

30 minute video going in depth. Sounds like battery life on the smaller could be concerning, but it also seems like it's being used very heavily for fitness stuff.

https://feedly.com/i/collection/content/user/8e40b7a2-7f15-4baf-8431-f5659ccffb6d/category/global.all

Also written review, note the screenshot that allows you to use google pay as default nfc payment.

quote:

Mobile Payments: Yup, mobile payments on this puppy are a go! Google Pay and Samsung Pay work splendidly via NFC, youll just have to set a default in your settings menu.

Really just need Google to get assistant sorted.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 20, 2021

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Can you buy watch 4 straps separately on the US Samsung store? We can't even buy the watch itself here yet.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Samsung probably has some kinda proprietary strap connect mechanism dont they?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

codo27 posted:

Samsung probably has some kinda proprietary strap connect mechanism dont they?

Pretty sure they are the standard quick connect bands.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, it's all standard 20mm straps.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Got my Classic 4 today.

It's pretty swell.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I preordered it today and its schedule to get here on the 17th of september :negative:

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
My wife got her ear buds and is grouchy that her watch didn't come too.

We got LTE versions through AT&T if it matters.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I was supposed to get a watch today, but shippers delayed a day.

I should be in good shape tomorrow though.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
My watch has been getting continually delayed despite preordering day 1. Supposed to be sometime last next week now hopefully.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I saw in particular the LTE version of the watch sold more than expected and supplies ran out. Mine still says "will ship week of aug 25, 2021" in the app but i just check on the website and yeah, delayed 9/17. I preordered mine literally as soon as they were available too so it's not like there's any sort of order to it.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I canned my samsung order. I want to wait until Google straightens their poo poo out to get a high end watch.

In the mean time I want something that can:
* give me haptic pings on PagerDuty texts or the PagerDuty app (second is better)
* track my heartrate and sleep
* let me switch different digital watch faces
* not spend more than I need to for these features

The ticwatch s2 SEEMS to do all this poo poo at $99, EXCEPT sleep tracking which I want. thoughts?

The ticwatch pro S seems to do everything i want at $163 shipped. any reason to not just do that? Phone is a OnePlus 7t

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 26, 2021

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I want to wait until Google straightens their poo poo out to get a high end watch.

Hope you've got a decade+.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

sharkytm posted:

Hope you've got a decade+.

I said the same thing in 2010 or so, so, yea, sure.

Any reason not to get a ticwatch pro S now for the use cases i outlined? also would like to listen to music while skiing and poo poo

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I said the same thing in 2010 or so, so, yea, sure.

Any reason not to get a ticwatch pro S now for the use cases i outlined? also would like to listen to music while skiing and poo poo

The Samsung will be better (but cost more)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Got my classic today, still setting things up but so far pretty nice.

Screen is certainly noticably better than the Watch 3.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Other random notes.

You can assign the new WearOS gboard as the default keyboard app which is superior to Samsung's watch keyboard. You can do the same with speech to text.

I was able to setup a card in google pay and you can set google pay as the default payment app the NFC settings. What you can't do at this time is reassign long press of the back button away from Samsung pay. You can, however, assign double press of the home button to open Google Pay if you would want to.

One build quality note about the classic. Unless they did a very good job at faking it, the bezel ring is metal now instead of plastic like it was on the Watch 3.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I intended to get the LTE model but apparently in my indecision and switching between windows I bought the normal one.

I was pretty much getting it on a whim, I have Google Fi so data-only devices don't cost anything monthly and I figured it might be neat. I don't have a desire to leave my phone at home while working out, on a bike it's not a meaningful inconvenience.

For those of you who have cellular capable watches, if you are rarely intentionally without your phone does it really offer anything worth redoing the order over?