Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

It's absolutely true. At the same time the US has put itself into such a terrible position letting the delta variant spread out of control that I wonder if it can afford NOT to give people boosters. The current surge is already overflowing hospital systems and maybe even supply chains (again) + reimplementing NPIs seems impossible due to previous bad choices. And it seems like this is only the beginning of the wave, AND it's the middle of summer.

Basically
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1243664369407451138
edit: note the date

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid Boxes
Feb 9, 2004

good grief!
glad I read the covid thread on loving cspam where I get important, life saving tips on lying to get vaccine boosters because lol

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Thoguh posted:

I have a BMI of 32 and high blood pressure that's well controlled with a daily Losartan. I'm not the healthiest person in the world or anything but I work out regularly and generally don't have any health concerns that impact my quality of life. But if I got a bad case of COVID I'd get written off as someone with pre-existing conditions by a bunch of rear end in a top hat chuds and Blue MAGA that are thinking of a 500 pound chain smoker. It's stupid as hell.

They're going to find any reason to write off covid casualties that they can because the point is to otherize victims of this disease so they can pretend it won't happen to them

Early on in the pandemic the local reactionary web 1.0 forum was talking about how they (the folks out in the suburbs) were safe because this was a "democrat city disease".

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 370 days!
lol
https://twitter.com/LisPower1/status/1427981380726702091?s=19

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Rubby posted:

*Kramers into the room* oh hell.. did i miss it?

https://i.imgur.com/zuOUwnQ.mp4

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Why do we let these idiots run the world?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

euphronius posted:

I love that vaccine efficacy drop off has perfectly coincided with schools reopening

so many parents are going to screech and holler to open school even though we rushed to vaccinated all the teachers early in march and now their immunity is effectively worthless

if you are a teacher teaching kids in person and are 6 months out from your second dose... do not delay, go full max titers to get a booster now IMHO

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Schnorkles posted:

strongly coming around to the euphronius worldview that covid policy is mostly genocide

That is the current plan! Everyone is expected to get if and good luck lol

HAM ON THE BONE
Aug 22, 2009

Pillbug
Just got the moderna slut juice after getting my second phizer back in february. Tried getting a legitimate 3rd dose by scheduling a booster online but when I got to CVS and gave them my vax card the lady said they couldn’t mix phizer and moderna. So, I went to the CVS down the road and went in as a first shot walk-in. No problem at all, gave them my ID and said no insurance, few minutes later got the jab. I didn’t notice the actual shot feeling any different from phizer, guess I’ll see how the side effects compare soon.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
U.S. announces booster shots will be available to the public next month.

WHO condemns the announcement and calls on the U.S. to reconsider.

quote:

US health officials call for booster shots against COVID-19

NEW YORK (AP) — U.S. health officials Wednesday announced plans to offer COVID-19 booster shots to all Americans to shore up their protection amid the surging delta variant and evidence that the vaccines’ effectiveness is falling.

The plan, as outlined by the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and other top authorities, calls for an extra dose eight months after people get their second shot of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine. The doses could begin the week of Sept. 20.

“Our plan is to protect the American people, to stay ahead of this virus,” CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said in a statement.

Health officials said people who received the single-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine will also probably need extra shots. But they said they are waiting for more data.

The overall plan is subject to a Food and Drug Administration evaluation of the safety and effectiveness of a third dose, the officials said.

In a statement, officials said it is “very clear” that the vaccines’ protection against infection wanes over time, and now, with the highly contagious delta variant spreading rapidly, “we are starting to see evidence of reduced protection against mild and moderate disease.”

“Based on our latest assessment, the current protection against severe disease, hospitalization and death could diminish in the months ahead,” they said.

Dr. Mark Mulligan of NYU’s Langone Health center welcomed the announcement as a “proactive” response to signs that vaccine strength is eroding.

“There are hints that this may become an increasing problem given waning immunity mixed with the delta variant,” he said. “Part of leadership is being able to see around the corner and make hard decisions without having all the data. It seems to me that’s what they’re doing here.”

quote:

But top scientists at the World Health Organization bitterly objected to the U.S. plan, noting that poor countries are not getting enough vaccine for their initial rounds of shots.

“We’re planning to hand out extra life jackets to people who already have life jackets, while we’re leaving other people to drown without a single life jacket,” said Dr. Michael Ryan, the WHO’s emergencies chief.

The organization’s top scientist, Dr. Soumya Swaminathan, said: “We believe clearly that the data does not indicate that boosters are needed” for everyone. She warned that leaving billions of people in the developing world unvaccinated could foster the emergence of new variants and result in “even more dire situations.”

WHO officials have long called for vaccine equity and “solidarity” among countries.

But White House press secretary Jen Psaki this week said the question of whether to distribute boosters or help other nations “is a false choice. We can do both.”

She said the U.S. is “far and away” the biggest contributor to the global fight against COVID-19 and will “continue to be the arsenal for vaccines” to the world. She added that the U.S. has enough vaccine for dispense boosters to the American people.

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-vaccine-booster-shots-a10daad08f6d47aa5beca0b4da9da9d2

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

uh isn't this malpractice

Malpractice refers to the doctor generally.

This is a nurse/cna problem and the hospital itself will get dinged.

Weird how things like this happen when you don’t have appropriate ratios.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

I went to CVS yesterday and two maskless people were getting theor covid shots.

like good on you but why even bother

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Let's see how back to school is going.

Date School/Location # of Positive
COVID-19 Tests
August 16, 2021 Hillcrest HS 2 (student not in bldg during contagious period)
August 16, 2021 Welcome ES 1 (student not in bldg during contagious period)
August 16, 2021 Wade Hampton HS 1
August 16, 2021 Taylors ES 4 (student not in bldg during contagious period)
August 16, 2021 Riverside MS 1 (student not in bldg during contagious period)
August 16, 2021 Travelers Rest HS 1 (student not in bldg during contagious period)
August 16, 2021 League MS Academy 1 (student not in bldg during contagious period)
August 16, 2021 Stone ES 1 (student not in bldg during contagious period)
August 16, 2021 Plain ES 2
August 16, 2021 Berea HS 1
August 16, 2021 Woodland ES 1 (student not in bldg during contagious period)
August 16, 2021 Dunbar Child Development Center 1
August 16, 2021 Summit Drive ES 1 (student not in bldg during contagious period)
August 16, 2021 Sara Collins ES 1 (student not in bldg during contagious period)
August 16, 2021 Fork Shoals ES 1
August 16, 2021 Berea HS 2 (student not in bldg during contagious period)
August 16, 2021 Rudolph Gordon School 2 (student not in bldg during contagious period)
August 16, 2021 Eastside HS 3 (student not in bldg during contagious period)
August 16, 2021 Oakview ES 4 (student not in bldg during contagious period)
August 16, 2021 Buena Vista ES 1 (student not in bldg during contagious period)
August 16, 2021 Blue Ridge MS 1
August 16, 2021 Thomas E. Kerns ES 1
August 16, 2021 Blue Ridge HS 1 (student not in bldg during contagious period)
August 16, 2021 Lake Forest ES 2 (student not in bldg during contagious period)
August 16, 2021 East North Street Academy ES 2
August 16, 2021 Northwood MS 2 (student not in bldg during contagious period)
August 16, 2021 Hughes MS Academy 2 (student not in bldg during contagious period)
August 16, 2021 Mauldin ES 2 (student not in bldg during contagious period)
August 16, 2021 Brushy Creek ES 1 (student not in bldg during contagious period)
August 16, 2021 Sterling School 1 (student not in bldg during contagious period)
August 16, 2021 Ralph Chandler MS 3 (student not in bldg during contagious period)
August 16, 2021 Skyland ES 3 (student not in bldg during contagious period)
August 16, 2021 Mountain View ES 1 (student not in bldg during contagious period)
August 16, 2021 J.L.Mann HS 4 (student not in bldg during contagious period)
August 16, 2021 Crestview ES 3 (student not in bldg during contagious period)
August 16, 2021 Wade Hampton HS 1 (student not in bldg during contagious period)
August 16, 2021 Greer HS 2 (student not in bldg during contagious period)
August 16, 2021 Woodmont HS 3 (student not in bldg during contagious period)
August 16, 2021 Slater Marietta ES 1
August 16, 2021 Brook Glenn ES 2 (student not in bldg during contagious period)
August 16, 2021 Sue Cleveland ES 1
August 16, 2021 Mauldin HS 3
August 16, 2021 Greenbrier ES 2 (student not in bldg during contagious period)
August 16, 2021 Greer HS 1
August 16, 2021 Heritage ES 1 (student not in bldg during contagious period)
August 16, 2021 Heritage ES 1
August 16, 2021 Mauldin MS 1
August 16, 2021 Blythe Academy ES 2 (student not in bldg during contagious period)
August 16, 2021 Ellen Woodside ES 3
August 16, 2021 Ellen Woodside ES 3 (student not in bldg during contagious period)
August 16, 2021 Fountain Inn ES 2 (student not in bldg during contagious period)
August 16, 2021 League MS Academy 1
August 16, 2021 Greer MS 3 (student not in bldg during contagious period)
August 16, 2021 Plain ES 1 (student not in bldg during contagious period)
August 16, 2021 Bryson MS 3

hmm. Seems bad.

That's only like 90 something cases and there are 75 million kids in the US, looks to me like a 0.0001% infection rate stop catastrophizing

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Serf posted:

concern trolling bullshit. those doses are going into arms or into the trash. there was no universe where we help other people even if it would benefit us

Yes, but that's hosed up and worth calling out as hosed up.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Schnorkles posted:

My son got his MMR vaccines a couple of days ago and my extremely antivaxx father in law is claiming that he's completely different and if I stop posting its because I've been arrested for attacking him

He is right. Your son is dead. They replaced him with a stem cell brain

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Norton posted:

I figured that included people in quarantine for exposure in addition to people testing positive, but nope looks like that's just the actual confirmed cases. A ton more people are quarantined. The schools cannot function like this.

I checked my wife's school on that dashboard and the number seems too low even for confirmed cases. She said one of her teacher co-workers was scrolling facebook last night and saw the family of one of her students post: "we appreciate all the the food and support as COVID rips through our household" Apparently the entire loving family has covid but they just kept sending their kid to school anyway. The kid is going to be denied entry today, but holy poo poo if the teacher hadnt just randomly checked facebook he'd be back in class shooting covid everywhere again.
lmao

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Malpractice refers to the doctor generally.

This is a nurse/cna problem and the hospital itself will get dinged.

Weird how things like this happen when you don’t have appropriate ratios.

Did you get your booster after all?

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

drat imagine waking up without your dick and balls

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

U.S. announces booster shots will be available to the public next month.

WHO condemns the announcement and calls on the U.S. to reconsider.

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-vaccine-booster-shots-a10daad08f6d47aa5beca0b4da9da9d2

if the WHO gives a flying gently caress about vaccine equity it would approve the vaccine patent waiver and let India start cranking out mRNA doses by the billions

until then lmao gently caress off WHO

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lol county level numbers released because it's Wednesday. poo poo is lookin bad, we just had like 40,000 students fly in this week for the start of classes too, and despite everything we're doing the best in the entire state. Week to week cases per 100k has been +50% every week for awhile now, over 90% of it delta

we're all so, so tremendously hosed lmao, oh and my buddy's elementary schooler is at home with a fever

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Notahippie posted:

Calling poo poo out does nothing

Hey did you hear about poverty?? I have important info about it!!!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Nocturtle posted:

Did you get your booster after all?

Nah my day fell apart and my part of the country got hit with flooding and a loving rock slide out of nowhere last night.

poo poo was hosed

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

mod sassinator posted:

if the WHO gives a flying gently caress about vaccine equity it would approve the vaccine patent waiver and let India start cranking out mRNA doses by the billions

until then lmao gently caress off WHO

It's Germany and the U.K. in the WTO - not the WHO - that still oppose the waiver entirely. The WHO has nothing to do with it.

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003
this turd got updated today

here is the earliest one with a Aug 15 prediction:

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer
So I just got a call about enrolling my daughter in a study opening here for the Pfizer vaccine. Shots aren't for two weeks. I'm kind of shocked.

I'm assuming this was from the recent expansion pfizer and moderna announced. I had submitted info when I heard the FDA was wanting more data and it would be longer that was back in like June. But the fact they aren't even doing shots here until September for an announced expansion in like late June early July is really concerning to me. What is going on?

For now I've enrolled her and we'll see before she gets her shot what they say about un-blinding at EUA when it happens before study conclusion (26 months lol).

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Notahippie posted:

no it's insufferable

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Morbus posted:

That's only like 90 something cases and there are 75 million kids in the US, looks to me like a 0.0001% infection rate stop catastrophizing

:hmmrona: Maybe we should wait and see what happens when classes actually started (yesterday, the 17th) lol

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Nah my day fell apart and my part of the country got hit with flooding and a loving rock slide out of nowhere last night.

poo poo was hosed

All because you tried to get a booster? Maybe the CDC was right to hold off approval

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

went to look for pictures of the Pakleds and it turns out this kid was even fatter than those actors

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's Germany and the U.K. in the WTO - not the WHO - that still oppose the waiver entirely. The WHO has nothing to do with it.

lmao well that's never getting approved. germany is still doing well enough to not care, and UK is full bojo herd immunity

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Notahippie posted:

It is hosed up but the fuckup is that we aren't doing everything we can to build up production capability and sharing patent information. The actual number of boosters that are going to go in to arms in the US is minor compared to what we actually could be doing to address lack of a larger rollout worldwide.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Testvan posted:

this turd got updated today

here is the earliest one with a Aug 15 prediction:

Daddy what's a blunderbuss?

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

selling parody vaccine cards that say “please keep this record card, which includes medical information about the vaccines you haven’t received” (FOR NOVELTY USE ONLY) (PARODY NOT A REAL VACCINE CARD)

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

Calling poo poo out does nothing

Hey did you hear about poverty?? I have important info about it!!!

The only way to institute change is via money or violence. Guess which one most of the population doesn't have ready access to?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

drat imagine waking up without your dick and balls

easy to do - turn off your monitor!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
it's true that people in the US are getting their third shot before many people around the world get their first

but also, people in the US are getting their third shot before many people in the US are getting their first

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

hmm Clemson starts today, let's check out reddit.

quote:

The nearest hospital to Clemson is Oconee Memorial. Before covid came along we regularly saw a daily census of 80-100 hospitalized patients.

Now we are nearly back to last Decembers numbers. We have 146 with 38 of those as covid patients. Our ICU is at capacity. Let me repeat that for you all, there are zero intensive care beds left.

Get your vaccination, wear your mask.

Should be fine.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

UFOTacoMan posted:

Hell yeah, just walked by a dude in the office who was wearing a Sturgis shirt.
:golgo: you're already dead

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

UFOTacoMan posted:

Hell yeah, just walked by a dude in the office who was wearing a Sturgis shirt.

Don't live in South Dakota.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Mola Yam posted:

english doc; do i boost my titers to max or not

Max Titers is always good

But the logic in that math tweet is sound. Statistics, probability, percentages, etc are easy to misinterpret, especially when you start combining populations of different sizes or varying criteria.

As more data comes in and qualified researchers have more time to delve into analysis, there will be firmer conclusions on "rate of declining efficacy per vaccine type by age/dose spacing" and "ideal time for a booster".

Right now it seems that most people are well-protected from severe disease through 2nd dose (Pfizer/Moderna) date + 5~ months. The 6th month is where the data gets pretty noisy unfortunately.

There's a wave right now, and it's reasonable to assume there will be a winter wave. It would be prudent to consider the expected time-frame of the winter wave when planning a booster date. No one wants their titers to be rapidly decreasing in 2022 Q1.