Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Rock Paper Tongue posted:

The last few years of my degree were an absolute loving nightmare and turned me into a shrieking husk that felt nothing but stress and rage. I wouldn't wish electrical engineering on anybody, that poo poo will break your spirit

Mech E here, my engineers are from UConn and UMass (me too!) and they kick rear end.

Engineering classes were tedious, but Umass has a lot of practicum and I worked in the Engineering Lab machine shop so all the professors would give me odd jobs. It owned.

I didn't sleep much though, and I sacrificed saturdays to chores and homework.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Scientastic posted:

Salary is definitely the most important thing when looking at a job: it’s what you live on month to month. Bonuses, stock options, etc. are all nice, but I’d much rather have the secure monthly pay than the potential of a bit more money if things work out exactly as the business predicts

At a certain level they become absurdly real; only about 70,000 people in China earn on paper over 1 million RMB (about 150,000 usd) but a shiiiiitload of people make more than that thanks to bonuses and yearly stock disbursement.

That said yeah, look at the base pay cause thats what you're actually living on.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
The problem with electrical engineering is that it's completely made up and doesn't make any sense and I'm fairly sure it's some kind of scam. If you're dumb like me and want an easy ride do mech eng because as long as you avoid fluids of any kind (another scam) then it's basically just advanced shapes.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Butternubs posted:

The problem with electrical engineering is that it's completely made up and doesn't make any sense and I'm fairly sure it's some kind of scam. If you're dumb like me and want an easy ride do mech eng because as long as you avoid fluids of any kind (another scam) then it's basically just advanced shapes.

Try Project Engineering my dude. Its hokum bullshit for boomers but it's the easiest way to get paid for sitting in meetings and playing with MS Project.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Yeah, the “bonuses aren’t real” thing sounds like maybe it only applies to programmers or something. Lots of highly paid people make the majority of their income from bonuses. It’s just that you have to live within your monthly salary on a day to day basis because bonuses are sporadic and uncertain.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

poisonpill posted:

Yeah, the “bonuses aren’t real” thing sounds like maybe it only applies to programmers or something. Lots of highly paid people make the majority of their income from bonuses. It’s just that you have to live within your monthly salary on a day to day basis because bonuses are sporadic and uncertain.

It may very well just be a computer toucher thing.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
Bonuses seem too close to tipping to me. Just pay me more overall instead of trying to trick me into thinking you're doing me a favour with a "bonus" you can give and take away at will.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

In consulting and finance, if you don't receive your bonus, that means you're getting fired shortly.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Butternubs posted:

Bonuses seem too close to tipping to me. Just pay me more overall instead of trying to trick me into thinking you're doing me a favour with a "bonus" you can give and take away at will.

In China, for instance, it is tax advantageous for you and your company to pay the majority of lager pay as a bonus so its just defacto practice if you want to be paid more.

ultrafilter posted:

In consulting and finance, if you don't receive your bonus, that means you're getting fired shortly.

Also this.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Try Project Engineering my dude. Its hokum bullshit for boomers but it's the easiest way to get paid for sitting in meetings and playing with MS Project.

This is so incredibly accurate it hurts. Project Engineering is something basically any competent person could do, but companies demand anyone in the job have an engineering degree so they can set far too optimistic schedules and budgets for the work the actual engineers have to do.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

So they’re finally putting my promotion through soon after dragging for months and I’m going to end up making less money. Stupid hourly->salaried switch. Part of me wants to turn it down but I’m really only here for my resume anyway. May as well stick it out to open doors for the big money jobs down the line.

My old job did this; you could make good money as an experienced tech getting paid hourly, to the point where taking salaried supervisor positions would lose you money. No one with experience in the department I worked in would ever jump to supervision as a result, but everyone would complain when people from outside the company or from other departments would take supervisor jobs and have to learn how we functioned.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Bonuses are fine as long as they are predictable. Which usually means metric based. Even if they aren't your own metrics you can at least see it coming or not. That way small companies can punch above their weight in salary when the times are good and don't instantly fold in a market hiccup. Large companies doing it is usually tipping though.

I hate options at a fundamental level because rewarding my 45 hour a week stake in the company with more stake in the company is the definition of overinvested.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

champagne posting posted:

Bonuses and stock options should be considered at their true value: $0

Until they're realized it might as well be monopoly money

One company i got an offer from met my salary demands this way*

*this way being trying to lump in the bonus as part of the salary package lol

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

poisonpill posted:

I’m not saying bonuses aren’t real, but you can’t feed your kids on the promise of money in three months’ time.

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

Doing some job related training over the next three days, the guy running the course was badgering people to speak over mic before the 9am training even began, whilst ignoring the course chatroom.

Why are so many people like this? Let me be an introvert and type!! I promise I'll be more focused on the course and less focused on sounding professional and presentable.

This happens a lot in my college classes too.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Scientastic posted:

I’m not saying bonuses aren’t real, but you can’t feed your kids on the promise of money in three months’ time.

Well, I'm not saying bonuses aren't real, it’s just perhaps not quite as real as some of the other types of compensation

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Scenario: your MegaCorp has sent thousands of employees to work from home indefinitely. Mini-fridges are common in shared cubicles. There is still a skeleton staff on site. Do you:

A. Notify employees all food must be removed from their cubicles by a certain date, then after that all fridges will be be opened and food tossed. Empty fridges unplugged to avoid waste.

B. Do nothing. After the fly infestation can no longer be ignored, throw out dozens and dozens of fridges.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

Snuff Melange posted:

Doing some job related training over the next three days, the guy running the course was badgering people to speak over mic before the 9am training even began, whilst ignoring the course chatroom.

Why are so many people like this? Let me be an introvert and type!! I promise I'll be more focused on the course and less focused on sounding professional and presentable.

The persecution of introverts in the work place should be this generations civil rights movement (I don't think there's any others going on right?).

Don't phone me, don't encourage me to phone people. If I'm ignoring your email it's for a reason. NEVER ask me to put my camera on and actually don't even acknowledge my presence if I'm in the office. The fact that I've given them my real name is bordering on too much.

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

Butternubs posted:

The problem with electrical engineering is that it's completely made up and doesn't make any sense

I do CAD, simulation, and support work for the semiconductor industry and 90% of what I do feels like it's absolute fantasy bullshit. Electrical is already kind of abstract compared to mechanical, but that extra layer of separation where you're dealing with software instead of a breadboard or a physical chip really makes you feel it

Like, for any given issue, it could be a million things. Is it a problem with the circuit schematic, the layout, the test, or the simulator? Will closing and relaunching fix it? Did I have an incorrect setting when I used another tool to generate my netlist to use with the configuration view to set the appropriate dspf file for my simulator, or is there an issue somewhere else in this massive daisy chain of poo poo? Which version of our thousand tools are we using, which version of the library and cells, and does every single one of our million goddamn parameters track properly between every loving cell view? Am I even doing engineering work at this point, or am I just flaling about trying to find the one combination of settings that will make our software happy?

I feel like a Lovecraft character who has seen beyond, into a ceaselessly churning sea of insanity and poor decisions

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Did anyone else get options that ended up with negative value lol (ok yeah technically they can’t be negative since you wouldn’t exercise them, but you know what I mean)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Did anyone else get options that ended up with negative value lol (ok yeah technically they can’t be negative since you wouldn’t exercise them, but you know what I mean)

How does that even happen?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Strike price above market prices.

...assuming calls, of course, but if your company is issuing puts as part of employee comp then :lol:

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Yes, from 32$ to 16$. I held them until they broke 200$ though.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Snuff Melange posted:

So I teach online classes for adults. I tend to kill the mikes because adults can't seem to remember that live mikes are a thing. And after having heard enough flushing, domestic squabbles, and screaming kids, the mikes died. Having said that, there is a major trade off for using chat only. It's that you are dramatically more likely to get answers that require mind reading. Where everyone seems to think that a monosyllabic answer is enough for a complex answer. Or they just don't answer because writing something out is more effort than speaking and they can't be bothered. Talking into the void for eight hours is an exercise in wanting to scream at the end of the day.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

I do CAD, simulation, and support work for the semiconductor industry and 90% of what I do feels like it's absolute fantasy bullshit. Electrical is already kind of abstract compared to mechanical, but that extra layer of separation where you're dealing with software instead of a breadboard or a physical chip really makes you feel it

Like, for any given issue, it could be a million things. Is it a problem with the circuit schematic, the layout, the test, or the simulator? Will closing and relaunching fix it? Did I have an incorrect setting when I used another tool to generate my netlist to use with the configuration view to set the appropriate dspf file for my simulator, or is there an issue somewhere else in this massive daisy chain of poo poo? Which version of our thousand tools are we using, which version of the library and cells, and does every single one of our million goddamn parameters track properly between every loving cell view? Am I even doing engineering work at this point, or am I just flaling about trying to find the one combination of settings that will make our software happy?

I feel like a Lovecraft character who has seen beyond, into a ceaselessly churning sea of insanity and poor decisions
Chemical processing equipment design wasn't too far off this. In the design software you most critical decision was what equation of state to use in a given operation. There's like 12 people in the US who understand why you use which equation of state and when and you can't afford their consulting fees. So you just use the ones you've had good luck with in the past or maybe you did pay those fees once upon a time and assume it's still good for the slightly different chemicals or try a few until it stops asking for a scrubber the size of the empire state building.

I haven't lived that life for a long time and touch computers instead. Miss exercising that part of my brain, but not having hundreds of thousands of dollars and 100s of lives on the line.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

I spend most of my working hours chasing grants and it feels like the same thing. You can be denied a grant for a hundred petty reasons, usually, because each grantor has a *very reasonable* list of things that combined, means you can't get funding for the thing that everyone says is so important. So I spend days and days trying to thread the needle of conflicting requirements and expense eligibility and matching funding to develop a project plan that will satisfy the 2-4 funders for each project. Then we get denied funding for some convenient reason that makes sense until you find out another applicant happens to have a relationship with the funder and we never ever stood a chance. Then I need to explain why I spend a chunk of money without anything to show for it. The whole system is absolutely maddening and designed to tie our hands and make things as difficult as possible.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I used to be a biologist working in a lab, so while I’m sure many people who work in my position view it as a terrible drudge, I think my job is just about the best thing ever. I essentially get paid to talk to people and give them advice.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I work sales-adjacent for a mega corp so of course bonuses are based on hitting sales goals. This is the first year I’ve been eligible for a bonus and thanks to COVID I’ll be getting squat. Raises have been “pushed out to next April,” aka skipped this year as well. I know I don’t make as much as I should and I should look for a more stable company, but I really like my job and coworkers so I’m torn.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Butternubs posted:

I am an industrial/product designer (and i didn't go into engineering for a reason, mostly that i'm dumb as hell) working with primarily electrical engineers on EE-centric poo poo and i do not understand any of it and every day i try my best to understand electrical engineering basics but i will never ever understand most of it no matter how hard i try. it makes me feel very stupid!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

The last few years of my degree were an absolute loving nightmare and turned me into a shrieking husk that felt nothing but stress and rage. I wouldn't wish electrical engineering on anybody, that poo poo will break your spirit

Yeah it's not my field but a friend worked in the electrical engineering field for a decade for an aerospace company and hated it so much he left and has taken more than a year off to recover and consider his options. He liked the projects but his boss was one bad dude. He's hardworking and motivated so it was surprising he got that burned out to the point where his mental health was in trouble, one plus is it paid well enough he didn't need to find a new gig right away.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Barudak posted:

At a certain level they become absurdly real; only about 70,000 people in China earn on paper over 1 million RMB (about 150,000 usd) but a shiiiiitload of people make more than that thanks to bonuses and yearly stock disbursement.

That said yeah, look at the base pay cause thats what you're actually living on.

The other place where higher base salary is important is that raises, bonuses, and equity grants are frequently a percentage of your base salary. The more salary, the bigger the raise or bonus in absolute $$$. That's why you usually want to favor salary over other compensation.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah it's not my field but a friend worked in the electrical engineering field for a decade for an aerospace company and hated it so much he left and has taken more than a year off to recover and consider his options. He liked the projects but his boss was one bad dude. He's hardworking and motivated so it was surprising he got that burned out to the point where his mental health was in trouble, one plus is it paid well enough he didn't need to find a new gig right away.

I'm a bad enough dude to ruin my employees

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007
My work is still forcing people back to the office full time September. They did a survey where 89% of people responded they want to work from home.

Their response was: remove our flexible start time, so you MUST start work at 7:30. No working from home until next year, maybe.

They're now confused as to why people are leaving to go work for our competition, and taking all their insider knowledge with them. When the competition is offering a lower wage, but "work wherever the gently caress you want, as long as you have fast enough internet to do your job."

They're still sending out mass PR messages saying that "People want to go back to the office, because they feel a lack of connection with management"
They're still stressing the importance of a Work Life Balance.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
0730? I'd be loving right off.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
No WFH? I'd be loving right off.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’ve got three months left to avoid the clawback on my sign on bonus unfortunately.

Bonus option: you find a way to transfer to your company's construction management side and get back to the fun stuff. We're starting two $15-20M projects for you guys in NC and a $30M project in MI and those are just the ones I cover.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If they wanted me at my home desk that early I would also be loving right off.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Lol I have an interview with a brand we distribute. My boss doesn't know. He's not gonna know unless he gets an email from me with @thebrand.com.

I feel no shame about being poached because it's full WFH, about 8x what I make plus benefits.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
how loving absurdly underpaid are you that you can get 8x what you make

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Mormon Nailer posted:

Lol I have an interview with a brand we distribute. My boss doesn't know. He's not gonna know unless he gets an email from me with @thebrand.com.

I feel no shame about being poached because it's full WFH, about 8x what I make plus benefits.

At 8x my salary I would do some truly heinous poo poo. gently caress I'd be brand manager at Palantir

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Biowarfare posted:

how loving absurdly underpaid are you that you can get 8x what you make

"Will you come be our CEO?"