Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Oh, I get it! It's like naming the fairies from Gunnerkrigg Court, but without the social complications that came with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Codependent Poster posted:

Did Ink Witch and other guy sleep together?

Yeah I'm wondering about that too. If Snout and Corpsemom are sharing a bed, that assumes there's not enough beds for everyone, so...

I'm still confused what happened with the whole thing between her and Snout. Corpsemom just straight up replaced her and she seems fine with it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

Did Ink Witch and other guy sleep together?

No, they were off-panel so they ceased to exist

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

super sweet best pal posted:

I don't post as often anymore because all I'd post is variations of "I hate this comic"

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I love this horrible disasterpiece.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Billy Gnosis posted:

Mookie forgot about his own lore yet again. Don't overthink it

I do find it interesting that he seems to remember ink witches have something to do with names, but wanted to have this moment so badly that he didn’t bother thinking about how this new lore plays with the old one. So Ink Witches simultaneously require members of the coven forsake their names but consider choosing a name a momentous occasion.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Has there been any Ink Witch lore established beyond this page?

This implies Ink Witches are like Rumpelstiltskin and don't tell people their names, but not that they don't have names at all.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
I could kinda understand it if the intended message is that names are so important and hold so much literal power over Ink Witches that they're hiding their true names to protect themselves. All Ink Prime said about Redactor is that "Ink Witches never give their names away". The thing is, if it is some kind of magical or cultural taboo, I can't remember it coming up outside of that infodump. At no point does Ink Witch seem to find it weird that Snout would put his most intimate thoughts and secrets into a book boldly labeled "Snout's Diary" on the cover, or that his library card has a bunch of extraneous personal information on it and that he shows complete strangers this with no hesitation.

Names likely do have significance to the Ink Witch, but it's only been brought up twice and in two very different situations. This kind of feels like a shallow throwback to her earlier comment about names, without actually putting any meat into why she and her coven are like this. Maybe Friday's comic will give a satisfactory explanation, or maybe they'll drop the topic and set off on a detour through another week of traced backgrounds. It's a coin flip!

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Ink Witch is obviously happy because now that she knows Corpse Bride's true name, she had power over her and can murder her.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Robot Style posted:

Has there been any Ink Witch lore established beyond this page?

This implies Ink Witches are like Rumpelstiltskin and don't tell people their names, but not that they don't have names at all.

I could swear the lore established about the Ink Witch coven is that they all go by semi-formal aliases, not that Redactor was given an informal one by the Ink Witch. Am I crazy? Does anyone else remember that?

e; Ok I went back and checked and it's always been like this. Speculating that there was a formalised nickname system was an assumption that does not match the text.

YF-23 fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 20, 2021

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The whole idea of a group of witches who publicly only go by aliases is at least the kernel of an interesting concept.

Like they have ultimate power over non-traditional or unusual branches of magic; “the Redactor” being able to censor reality itself, or “Fierce Friction”, who can do anything from spontaneously starting fires to making it impossible for you to keep a grip on anything (including the ground you’re standing on). But the catch is that they have to protect their true names as a life or death matter, or else they lose their magic (or are otherwise greatly weakened) if anyone else ever figures it out.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The whole thing makes no sense. Ok, Ink Witches never give their names... So how do they tell each other apart? By... Giving each other nicknames, clearly. Which is a name.

So... Why doesn't the primary Ink Witch have one? Isn't that going to get real confusing the second she runs into another ink witch? Do they just not acknowledge the nicknames the other ink witches give them? Coven meetings must be maddening.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The whole thing makes no sense. Ok, Ink Witches never give their names... So how do they tell each other apart? By... Giving each other nicknames, clearly. Which is a name.
Nah. I mean I understand the point you're making, but the idea that there's a True Name that grants power is a familiar idea from folklore--the Rumpelstiltskin principle--and has a modern form familiar on the internet--doxxing.

Like if the punchline of Rumpelstiltskin was that the Queen decides to nickname Rumpelstiltskin "Bob" and says "Bob" to win I don't think most people would find that a satisfying resolution of the issue.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

But generally in fantasy fiction when there's a true name you want to keep secret, you pick a nickname so that, you know, you can function in society.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I think the issue is more that they apparently assign her the name "Redactor" on the spot, despite Ink witch having previous encounters. It's not that the Redactor's true name is unknown, its apparently that Ink Witchs just get random nicknames on a spur of the moment situation.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Admittedly I remember that exposition as saying Ink Witches don't have names, but I still feel like it doesn't really mesh with the new lore. It just seems weird that choosing a name is a big deal for Ink Witches when they also never reveal their names to anyone.With some effort the two ideas could be tied together into something interesting but uh, this is Dominic Deegan.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Beelzebufo posted:

I think the issue is more that they apparently assign her the name "Redactor" on the spot, despite Ink witch having previous encounters. It's not that the Redactor's true name is unknown, its apparently that Ink Witchs just get random nicknames on a spur of the moment situation.
I enjoy the fact that Dominic Deegan is so comprehensively poorly written that any criticism needs to be carefully qualified to avoid being confused with being a different criticism of some adjacent error.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I mean, yeah, it COULD all make sense if explained in a cohesive way. But as presented it's just slapdash and confusing.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

SubG posted:

I enjoy the fact that Dominic Deegan is so comprehensively poorly written that any criticism needs to be carefully qualified to avoid being confused with being a different criticism of some adjacent error.

If Mookie had just said, "she goes by" it would literally have been fine. But he had to specify...

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I'm guessing some sort of orc holocaust memorial

Also I know I didn't start my readthrough again, it's been a looooongggg week.

It is coming though.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I like the white-void floor. Really makes those objects that don't lie on the same level pop out really well, y'know?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lmao that you can draw a circular area and make it look really hosed up

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Sorry no-one returned your high five there buddy, lets go to Maltak's Most Xtreme skate park.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

there's a little podium so you can preach to the tree

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
The girls went off together, now Snout has to platonically naked-cuddle the orc guy

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I don't think you have to do a "true name gives power" thing to have an anonymous society; anonymity serves a function outside of that, by masking any background history of the person and making all participants peers of each other. But mookie hasn't thought of that, because then the nicknames would be a persistent thing within the society in order for it to function. Instead of that it becomes another case of the story writing itself around Snout and the events occurring in his immediate vicinity, to the point of a character (now two!) only receiving a name on occasion of being involved with Snout in some fashion. In the same fashion as the Wild Edge having an open air library in the middle of nowhere, a day's travel away from a major city which was hitherto unknown to the protagonist who has lived in the area his whole life. The only worldbuilding that exists outside of Snout's line of sight is whatever is inherited from Dominic Deegan (Dominic Deegan's legacy, if you will).

Beelzebufo posted:

It is coming though.

I am so looking forward to seeing the grace with which mookie handles a memorial like that.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Beelzebufo posted:

It is coming though.

That's a slide. It's an orc playground.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

it hasn't been said in a while but it deserves to be repeated every so often: i hate snout's deaf tag

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
The dream realm is a slow burn mystery done in the worst way. Instead of slowly revealing information to the audience to keep the mystery alive Snout ignores the mystery completely to go to the library or chipmunk action park.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

It's a memorial to all the orcs Siegfried murdered

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Mmm, that's a terrible memorial design. Trees aren't static. They grow. They are living things.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

RoboRodent posted:

Mmm, that's a terrible memorial design. Trees aren't static. They grow. They are living things.

This tree has a very satisfied expression.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

So nice of orc guy to take him to the skate park.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Synthbuttrange posted:

lmao that you can draw a circular area and make it look really hosed up

I guess we shouldn't wonder why he traces so much...

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Beelzebufo posted:

It is coming though.

Hey, I have a name now, let's go to a war memorial!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Beelzebufo posted:

It is coming though.

"To prove yourself among my people, you must do a sick flip"

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

How does everyone here come up with names? I just stare at the screen and think of random syllables until something sounds right.

Grug... bor. Lord Grugbor. Of... Blade... gyre. Lord Grugbor of Bladegyre! Now there's an Orc king I'd gladly follow into battle.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

RoboRodent posted:

Those are badass. But ehhhh, it's a magical setting and the Orcs are supposedly especially good with nature magic. I'd say it's well within the range of acceptable.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

How does everyone here come up with names? I just stare at the screen and think of random syllables until something sounds right.

Grug... bor. Lord Grugbor. Of... Blade... gyre. Lord Grugbor of Bladegyre! Now there's an Orc king I'd gladly follow into battle.

For my writing? Baby naming sites, mostly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

mythology dictionary and/or looking at place names on a map and riffing off those.