Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

oh there is absolutely evidence that you should get a booster shot. i was talking about the switch from six months to the biden admin's new eight month delay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

It has been summoned

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

inferis posted:

I’ve been in a doctors office and watched them close a tab that was literally just them googling symptoms

I had one straight up show me what they'd found, said they had no idea what was wrong with me, and we shared a good laugh.

Come on in now and enjoy the only dessert you'll ever eat again. A dessert to end all others: THE OMEGA SUNDAE, only available at Applebees (c) 2022. EATIN' GOOOOOOD IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Testvan posted:

this turd got updated today

here is the earliest one with a Aug 15 prediction:

:neckbeard:

I know a goon found a CDC tab where you can use a slider to compare these but I still think my animated gifs of the actual twitter graphs are funnier

. . . . . .

They haven't leapt massively upwards for the first time in about 2 months and have actually dropped off a little this time, looks like that deceleration of case growth might be starting to kick in

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Hell yeah, got this game in the garage.

Try and stop me.

You Fool!

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
THEY MADE IT TWO DAYS

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

RudeCat posted:

Hell yeah, got this game in the garage.

Try and stop me.

You Fool!

Such a realistic covid experience :ohdear:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
:smugdon: ~*~ art of the deal ~*~ :smugdon:

https://twitter.com/AndrewSolender/status/1428034847646363653

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
EVERYONE WHO IS WONDERING WHY THEY PICKED 8 MONTHS FOR YOUR BOOSTER

Pfizer did that recent 6 month study of efficacy:
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.07.28.21261159v1.full.pdf

quote:

Efficacy peaked at 96.2% during the interval from 7 days to <2 months post-dose 2, and declined gradually to 83.7% from 4 months post-dose 2 to the data cut-off, an average decline of ~6%
every 2 months

They're probably extrapolating the 8 months based on how much effiacy declined after 6 months, since the study says 6% effiacy drop every month after the 4 month mark after the second dose, that would suggest a 24% efficacy drop in the 8th month after the second dose

And observing that antibodies dropped off to rely on memory cells, which is not ideal against the front-loaded delta variant

EDIT: Pfizer did another efficacy study against Alpha and Delta that saw falling efficacy after 8 months

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 19, 2021

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

McNugget Buddy posted:

It's important to note that Pfizer's 3rd-dose data shows huge increases for titers against Wild Type and Beta after one week, but their figures showing a huge increase in titers against Delta was at the one month mark.

So it's super important to not get infected in the 4 weeks after the third shot.

You sure on that? I thought it was antibodies started fading a month after the dose and the body relies on tcells and whatnot to make more antibodies later

Edit Steve yun made same point

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Nocturtle posted:

Posted this already but you might want to look at this lancet article:
https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1427764114386944000?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
Graph A is neutralization from "homologous" plasma ie original AZ + AZ booster and B is from "heterologous" plasma ie AZ + Pfizer booster. AZ is an adenovirus vaccine just like JJ, though IIRC JJ did report better clinical trial efficacy. This is a very small study but you don't want to have antibodies like those in graph A.

I got my J&J in March and just got my 1st Moderna this week, so this is nice to hear. I'm wondering if I should get my 2nd moderna in a month or not.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

sonatinas posted:

uh “all” gonna need clarification here

yeah I got real excited and then got real sad

lmao

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
any news on a Johnson and Johnson booster or are they just going to abandon that one and tell you to start over after you've lost immunity

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Testvan posted:

this turd got updated today

here is the earliest one with a Aug 15 prediction:

Is that the Columbia-UNC one that's approaching verticality? They were middle of the pack a month ago, if my ability to discern color is accurate.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

zegermans posted:

any news on a Johnson and Johnson booster or are they just going to abandon that one and tell you to start over after you've lost immunity

Neither, they're just going to leave J&J havers twisting in the wind. Sorry but we're second class citizens now!

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

Google Butt posted:

Hey can you repost your respirator post from the last thread

Most people find PPE that is actually responsive to a global pandemic of an airborne respiratory virus incredibly unsettling. We have, as a population, become complacent that What Was is what always Will Be and the suggestion that life has changed and that change is required of us in order to meet the challenges of the day is met with unrelenting cognitive stress. Easier to narrow the locus of perception to that which allows one to continue as if the status quo has not changed. By choosing to don an elastomeric respirator one is choosing to embody Death in the eyes of those people. Not in the micro, the individual concept of lives lost but in the macro, the collective Death of the mind, the Death of comfort, the Death of ignorance. The one who is willing to stare unblinkingly in the abyss and whisper "Not Today". To wear an elastomeric respirator in public is an aggressive, unyielding reminder that this is Not Normal and that they are Not Safe; that they had a choice -- and in the final accounting... they chose wrong.

© Exotic Eagle Exports Emporium

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
good thing people got probed for suggesting people to try and get mRNA over j&j

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Steve Yun posted:

The Legend of Titers Maximus

https://i.imgur.com/sGtoZDT.gifv

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mastershakeman posted:

You sure on that? I thought it was antibodies started fading a month after the dose and the body relies on tcells and whatnot to make more antibodies later

Edit Steve yun made same point

Pfizer didn't include post-1 week data in their Delta slide, which makes me think it wasn't good:

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
omega virus was a great game imho

thedavid
Oct 29, 2004

Starting on 9/11 this year I've 'season passed' Keith Olbermann on my tivo.

Also, Golden Girls.
So I thought I'd ask my cspam virologists their opinion....

I'm fully vaxxed with that sweet moderna slut juice, as is my wife. We have three kids at home that are under 12, which doesn't matter because kids don't get covid.

Anyway, I have had headaches for the past three days, as well as a light cough. Last night I've gotten some awesome sore throat that's persisted through today.

My littlest, 1 year old, has been a snot factory and has been in general irritable for the past few days. Too young to tell us what's wrong.

I have been masking (no respirator crew) and have been wondering if I should be getting a test and if we should be quarantining.

At the same time, two of the kids go to school starting next week, and it's a "highly recommended but not mandated mask rule" district. So I figure we're going to get it anyway.

I'm at a loss as to what to do. Should I get a test?

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Doctor
Jul 22, 2005

GO TO YOUR ROOM!
so glad I waited 4 hours in line at a pop up clinic to get AZ and then got Moderna for my 2nd.

so what you’re saying is I’m…..indestructible….

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

here is how you know if you need to get tested: if you think you might need to get tested, then you definitely do

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

lol

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Joementum posted:

oh there is absolutely evidence that you should get a booster shot. i was talking about the switch from six months to the biden admin's new eight month delay

Pfizer's booster shot discussion was comparing 8 months out from the 2nd shot to people who got the booster, maybe that's where they got the number from?

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I'll be honest, as someone on the front lines of vaccinations (pharmacist) I hope this boosters for everyone thing doesn't end up being necessary because the initial roll out this spring was hell and if they approve this poo poo on top of flu shot season pharmacies are going to start dropping like flies and you'll be waiting two weeks for any prescription to get filled, let alone how much extra risk that adds for mistakes to happen.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Steve Yun posted:

Pfizer did that recent 6 month study of efficacy:
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.07.28.21261159v1.full.pdf

They're probably extrapolating the 8 months based on how much effiacy declined after 6 months, since the study says 6% effiacy drop every month after the 4 month mark after the second dose, that would suggest a 24% efficacy drop in the 8th month after the second dose

And observing that antibodies dropped off to rely on memory cells, which is not ideal against the front-loaded delta variant

cool. thanks.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Steve Yun posted:

I posted this last night:

https://foreignpolicy.com/2021/07/30/booster-shot-coronavirus-covid-science/

quote:

But by July the Israeli miracle sobered up, revealing that fully vaccinated people were protected against severe disease and death but not necessarily against infection. In early July, the Ministry of Health announced effective immunity among the fully vaccinated had dropped to 64 percent, from the 95 percent level measured two months previously. Then, on July 17, the ministry reported a surge in breakthrough cases involving the delta variant. Most cases occurred in people either who had been fully vaccinated more than four months previously, indicating the waning immunity problem, or who were just completing their shots in July, too recently to be completely effective.

quote:

According to Israel, and to Pfizer, vaccine-induced immune response shifts from a powerful form replete with neutralizing antibodies drifting in the bloodstream to the quieter B cell memory type within about four months’ time after the second dose. Neutralizing antibody production declines, Pfizer says, about 6 percent per month, hitting 84 percent vaccine efficacy by month six. By eight months, it’s all about memory, which leaves the individuals highly vulnerable to infection.

In other words, the two-dose vaccinated individuals may have primed immune systems that can make neutralizing antibodies against SARS-CoV-2, but the enemy is coming at them in such massive numbers, and surging inside their bodies so rapidly, that some six to eight months after completing vaccinations, they may be unable to muster adequate defenses to prevent illness, even long-haul COVID-19.

quote:

All this is why Israel is starting a third round of national vaccination and why Pfizer wants the CDC and FDA to approve the same for the United States. According to data Pfizer presented to stock shareholders recently, the company estimated that a third booster shot had the potential to increase neutralization of the delta variant by up to a hundredfold, compared with before the third dose.

It also appears that the United States may have blundered by setting the time interval between the first two doses at 21 days—a decision made by the CDC and FDA under the Trump administration. For reasons having less to do with science than with the rush to get as many British at least partially protected as rapidly as possible, Boris Johnson’s government chose a far longer time interval between doses—months. And that may explain why the delta variant’s dire impact seems to be reversing in the U.K., with daily incidence of new cases dropping rapidly. Plotkin, the vaccine inventor, says longer times between jabs—perhaps six months—give the immune system time to settle into its lulled memory status before getting another jolt of fake infection (which, after all, is what a vaccine is), prompting the manufacture of neutralizing antibodies. That length-of-interval issue has arisen with other vaccines, he says, consistently showing months, not days, are required between doses.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Unbelievable, just got an email from Pfizer saying my kids are NOT going to be enrolled in a pediatric trial. They claim there's not one in my area and yes there is I can see the locations on a map it's only like 2 hours drive. As a former mega commuter that's nothing. Appreciate them telling me at the very least.

This appears to be a form email from their pediatric study site that I filled out back in April, so it probably has no bearing on the study locations I contacted in person to get on the waitlist. However guessing they think they might have enough participants for their expanded phase 3 trial and are telling everyone else they won't be included. If this is true the fact that they're only at this point now is "concerning" for those hoping for a September EUA.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

thedavid posted:

I'm fully vaxxed with that sweet moderna slut juice, as is my wife. We have three kids at home that are under 12, which doesn't matter because kids don't get covid.

Anyway, I have had headaches for the past three days, as well as a light cough. Last night I've gotten some awesome sore throat that's persisted through today.

My littlest, 1 year old, has been a snot factory and has been in general irritable for the past few days. Too young to tell us what's wrong.

I have been masking (no respirator crew) and have been wondering if I should be getting a test and if we should be quarantining.

At the same time, two of the kids go to school starting next week, and it's a "highly recommended but not mandated mask rule" district. So I figure we're going to get it anyway.

test everyone. my brother is getting tested today because he's been sneezing a lot

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

thedavid posted:

Congratulations, you have coronavirus. (I'm not joking)

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

thedavid posted:

Get tested - rapid and PCR - and isolate anyways bc theyre not 100%.

My brother got Covid as did his whole family—everyone tested negative on PCR, rapid showed my bro as a “maybe??” Once he lost his taste and smell he got tested again and of course it was Covid.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
Waitin for my "first" dose in cvs rn, used all my real info from my actual first two doses let's fuckin goooo

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

actionjackson posted:

I've gotten several of these. I'm a biostatistician lol

does that mean you count microbes?

jinx_player
Aug 25, 2018

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I'll be honest, as someone on the front lines of vaccinations (pharmacist) I hope this boosters for everyone thing doesn't end up being necessary because the initial roll out this spring was hell and if they approve this poo poo on top of flu shot season pharmacies are going to start dropping like flies and you'll be waiting two weeks for any prescription to get filled, let alone how much extra risk that adds for mistakes to happen.

Hire some people on taskrabbit or fiver, stop being such a doomer.

thedavid
Oct 29, 2004

Starting on 9/11 this year I've 'season passed' Keith Olbermann on my tivo.

Also, Golden Girls.
Great. That's what I figured, but it seems so illogical. We've been so careful.

I didn't even get to suck and gently caress at the applebees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Fun fact for anyone who might not know: the extras were told not to laugh but not told what Michael Palin was going to say, so these reactions are all real:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx_G2a2hL6U&t=82s