Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

jaete posted:

Here's Corbyn speaking on Afghanistan and refugees and stuff for a few minutes
Corbyn ASMR when

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

ThomasPaine posted:

I bought Outer Wilds after the numerous recs itt and holy poo poo this is incredible, thanks lads

It's a rotten time everywhere in the world right now, and even a cursory look at the papers is enough to make you want to hurl yourself into a bin but I can definitely say that Outer Wilds was a genuinely good use of my free time and was an enlightening experience that I hope everyone can enjoy if they can .

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Every time someone mentions Outer Wilds my brain parses it as Outer Worlds.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Court has ruled that Starmer is allowed to strangle that llama.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I've read it as Oscar Wilde itt at least once.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

You and a lot of other people, I think. The games threads make a point of delineating the two.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I couldn't get into the Outer Worlds, I wanted to, 'cos they'd clearly tried really hard to create a unique environment but it just wasn't open world enough for me.

Perhaps the Outer Wilds will be better?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I wanted to like Outer Worlds so much and it does have its moments, but ehhh.

I guess it's pretty ok if you ignore 90% of the gameplay and just enjoy the cool narrative branches, but tbh even they aren't as complex as the game wants you to think they are.

Still, definitely the best (and only) Firefly videogame!

Pistol_Pete posted:

I couldn't get into the Outer Worlds, I wanted to, 'cos they'd clearly tried really hard to create a unique environment but it just wasn't open world enough for me.

Outer wilds is a way more indie game and doesn't have quite the same AAA production values, but it's definitely a better game overall. Think smallish-scale exploration (some of it reminds me of the Rick and Morty episode where they build a shack on the tiniest planet in the galaxy lol) in a kinda HG Wells-influenced idea of space travel but you're also playing detective and piecing together a compelling mystery.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 18, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Communist Thoughts posted:

Have the tories killed as many people as Blair yet? It's gotta be close by now

At this point they've probably killed as many British people as the Nazis.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

They're completely different kinds of games. The Outer Worlds is a Fallout-like, Outer Wilds is a chill exploration game.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Dabir posted:

They're completely different kinds of games. The Outer Worlds is a Fallout-like, Outer Wilds is a chill exploration game.

Ive been playing No Man's Sky for the past month, didn't touch it upon release as it was a pile of buggy shite... now it isn't.

Exploration & inventory management for me. ;)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I still can't really see the fun in that game, everything just looks like procgen bleh, and unlike minecraft there's no real developed element of building nice looking things on it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Dabir posted:

They're completely different kinds of games. The Outer Worlds is a Fallout-like, Outer Wilds was an Irish poet and dramatist.
:hmmyes:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

At this point they've probably killed as many British people as the Nazis.

We blasted past the civilian death toll of WW2 just with covid deaths alone last autumn and have hurtles past the per-capita death rate since then, but we lost a *lot* of military personnel in the war (400k or so depending on exactly how you count Crown Dependencies). Austerity + covid are probably bringing us pretty close to that though.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Boo hoo - can't read replies to tweets without signing in. Was ok this morning.
I hope it's a glitch. I need to stay unsigned in for the sake of my blood pressure.

ed: if you open it in incognito mode you can read.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 18, 2021

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Boo hoo - can't read replies to tweets without signing in. Was ok this morning.
I hope it's a glitch. I need to stay unsigned in for the sake of my blood pressure.

It's been like this since yesterday for me. I refuse to create a Twitter account so this might well stop me reading it altogether.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Lungboy posted:

It's been like this since yesterday for me. I refuse to create a Twitter account so this might well stop me reading it altogether.

Incognito mode works :)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

We blasted past the civilian death toll of WW2 just with covid deaths alone last autumn and have hurtles past the per-capita death rate since then, but we lost a *lot* of military personnel in the war (400k or so depending on exactly how you count Crown Dependencies). Austerity + covid are probably bringing us pretty close to that though.

UK war attributed death toll 1939-45 was roughly 420k. Being charitable and saying only 100k of the Covid deaths were the fault of the Tories, we're definitely well over 300k from their misrule.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Dabir posted:

I'd say Outer Worlds is more like the old KOTOR games with a series of moderately large areas linked by a fast travel hub. Very retrofuturist Bioshocky aesthetic with a Douglas Adams Hitchiker sense of humour.

My favourite was the Spacer's Choice rep on Groundbreaker who if you befriend him, reveals that he signed a contract to have the mask welded on and has to be happy all the time. He's absolutely desperately miserable and can't sleep properly but he signed the contract, so he has to do it.

I think one of the reasons people complained is because the biggest cutie on the ship is Parvati, but everyone got mad when her romance quest reveals that she is ace and interested in someone else, so you end up setting her up on a really sweet date. Or possibly you can talk her out of it and she is lonely and miserable, idk I'm not an rear end in a top hat. So obviously the people who get pissy when dudes can't romance the female character got mad.

It's alright. The levelling curve / item progression runs out before the final planet, and a lot of the big moral choices you need to get exactly right for it to affect the ending, but it's mostly fun and at least trying to make a point.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

more like the old KOTOR games
I had to pause a second and mentally check myself to make sure that wasn't the ones with the arsehole diameter rolls, but no, it is not.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's FATAL, not KOTOR.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You're right. In the East Midlands they're called arsehole diameter cobs.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Thanks, although constantly having to c&p into incognito is going to get annoying very quickly I fear.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/johnny-mercer-mp-afghanistan-betrayal-boris-johnson-tory-b951174.html

Resign the whip then, otherwise it's empty shite.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

OwlFancier posted:

I still can't really see the fun in that game, everything just looks like procgen bleh, and unlike minecraft there's no real developed element of building nice looking things on it.
By definition a game with a near infinite number of procedularly generated planets is going to be a bit samey, but when you luck into a good combination it can create some stunning vistas. After the first round post launch updates it was pretty much a desktop backgtound generator for me.

It's not minecraft but compared to like Rust or Subnautica NMS actually has pretty good base building options these days. Theres even a creative mode if you don't want to grind forever to unlock blueprints.

That hasn't stopped people from building some insane stuff though. Iirc these were made with the help of an outside program to get around clipping issues, but they work in game:

https://twitter.com/DaveBastian/status/1410662560794234881?s=19

https://twitter.com/DaveBastian/status/1409584929436930053?s=19

https://twitter.com/DaveBastian/status/1357435836866785280?s=19

https://twitter.com/DaveBastian/status/1357437668309671938?s=19

You can just make enormous dirt penises using the teraform laser if you want the true minecraft building experience though.

For me personally theres just something about the scale of NMS that mskes it interesting to me. It may not actually mean anything but you're not just pulling a lever and geting a random result you're exploring a persistent space. The game is so mind bogglingly big and wide that when you land on a planet you're likely the only person who has ever seen it, but theres the posibility that someone someday may stumble upon it and see the same weird birds you gave a rude name to. That luster does fade as you discover how samey the proc gen can be, but it'll still suprise you once in a while.

I don't want every game to be like NMS but its nice to just endlessly explore space sometimes. I guess it feels more realistic than other exploration game to me, just like in real life exploration in NMS involves a lot of seeing the same kind of stuff and sitting in a vehicle for extended periods of time, but occasionally seeing something cool and taking a photo of it. I was satisfied with the game at launch for providing that kind of experience lol.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I guess in the sense that minecraft has a persistent space in the sense that it will generate the same terrain from the same seed.

I dunno, I just like minecraft because the world and the building system uses the same system, so it is really easy to make buildings that fit the landscape, and there is no clear line between landscaping and building. There are few other games that work like that and allow you to build entire environments really easily that look like they belong there.

I dunno, I've never been able to feel like NMS's procgen produced anything... interesting? It all just looks like what it is which is a bunch of noise maps and a bunch of randomly selected assets and colours. It hasn't even made me think of a potentially real environment or somewhere that I think would make a nice place to build a little model castle or something. Genuinely I've had more interesting results from minecraft's generator which occasionally makes the odd cool plateau, mountain overlooking a forest, bay, cliff etc. I don't know if it's worse generation or just because NMS tries to work on a greater range of scales to the point that you inevitably zoom out and see the generation pattern, but it's never clicked.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I had the same problem with Outer Worlds that I have with most Fallout games, which is that I'm always thinking I could be playing Fallout: New Vegas instead.

Also I'm not really a fan of the bioshocky steam punky aesthetic.

zhar
May 3, 2019

Lungboy posted:

Thanks, although constantly having to c&p into incognito is going to get annoying very quickly I fear.

if incognito works deleting twitter cookies will almost certainly work: in firefox you can hit f12 for devtools on a twitter page go to storage tab and right click the website under cookies and delete all, presumably a similar process on other browsers

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

zhar posted:

if incognito works deleting twitter cookies will almost certainly work: in firefox you can hit f12 for devtools on a twitter page go to storage tab and right click the website under cookies and delete all, presumably a similar process on other browsers

I tried that but I lost the will to live waiting for the cookies to load (in Chrome) so don't know if it works.

Ed: re-tried just now and the cookies loaded so I could zap twitter cookies and it works.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 18, 2021

Mebh
May 10, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I dunno, I just like minecraft because the world and the building system uses the same system, so it is really easy to make buildings that fit the landscape, and there is no clear line between landscaping and building. There are few other games that work like that and allow you to build entire environments really easily that look like they belong there.

For an interlude between minecraft servers I had a lot of fun with 3 of us on our own Valheim server. Was the closest thing to scratching the itch due to the really pleasing snap to build mechanics.

Fighting sea serpents in a tiny boat in a storm was both terrifying and a great deal of fun. Then we sailed around for a week and built a huge fort on an island in the North Sea. Fun times.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Valheim is good too yes, just wish it had more stuff to build and more to do. Also more purpose to building big things.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Yeah a team of like 5 people who suddenly became millionaires. I'd not be all too fussed about rushing out new poo poo either.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm currently playing a Minecraft server with friends in VR, and god it is one hell of an experience. One of the mods adds a bunch of multi level dungeons around the place, and it is a magical experience when every block is literally 1m square and you have zombies getting all up in your face.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

delete all the twitter cookies and icognito mode is not needed

e;fb

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

OwlFancier posted:

I really want a higher block definition Minecraft. Even just doubled (8x data) would be great.

Biggus Dickus fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Aug 19, 2021

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

All the centrist on twitter seem to be jizzing themselves, and doing a lap of honour over Kieth shooting fish in a barrel yesterday.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Thought it was an alpaca he wanted dead

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

forkboy84 posted:

Thought it was an alpaca he wanted dead

True, but he missed as usual.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
We regret to inform you that Sir Kieth has contracted bovine TB (alpacoid variant). I am a centrist and take no pleasure in reporting this

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Failed Imagineer posted:

We regret to inform you that Sir Kieth has contracted bovine TB (alpacoid variant). I am a centrist and take no pleasure in reporting this

The PLP must now be euthanised and burned in a big pile in a field to contain the infection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

The PLP must now be euthanised and burned in a big pile in a field to contain the infection.

Maybe the Orangemen can be given some community funding to build a big Kieth-shaped wickerman out of old pallets