Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Hey we never gave money directly to the Taliban! Only indirectly! We were giving our money to *squints* Gulbeddin Hekmetyar. Well whoever that is I'm sure he wasn't as misogynistic as the Taliban.

Wasnt the cia also pretty hot on pushing madrassa education on afghan refugees at some point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

mortons stork posted:

Wasnt the cia also pretty hot on pushing madrassa education on afghan refugees at some point?
iirc the CIA worked with the Saudis to import that poo poo over

edit: you all have to suffer with me

https://twitter.com/PatrickLoller/status/1427361263898796032?s=19
https://twitter.com/DanBoeckner/status/1427474552439951361?s=19

Zmej has issued a correction as of 05:34 on Aug 17, 2021

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

world war 3? i could recognize ezquerra's art anywhere

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Our one SocDem senator continuing to lead the charge on being the most Sinophobic legislator in the upper chamber.

___

https://mb.com.ph/2021/08/16/china-telecom-could-be-trojan-horse-spying-ph-through-dito-hontiveros/

quote:

Senator Risa Hontiveros on Monday, August 16 vowed to continue pressing the National Security Council (NSC) to conduct a security audit on Dito Telecommunity, the country’s third player in the telecommunications industry, amid spying concerns.

Hontiveros said she would not be surprised if state-owned China Telecom is the ‘Trojan horse’ that was sent to spy on the Philippine government’s affairs through the Dito consortium.

“I won’t be surprised if ChinaTel deliberately bought stakes in the Dito Telco so it can conduct espionage activities in our country, especially since China has special interests in our territories,” said Hontiveros.

Hontiveros said it is high time the NSC should make sure the country’s telecommunication’s industry is secure from any foreign threats.

“ChinaTel could really be the Trojan horse here at Dito that’s why we will continue to put pressure on Dito, including NSC, to make sure that our national security is not vulnerable to external threats,” she stressed.

“Until now, they have not listed to our proposal to conduct a security audit on Dito,” the lawmaker lamented.

Hontiveros had filed Senate Resolution No. 137 asking the Upper Chamber to investigate the deal between the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) and Dito Telecommunity Corp., which allows Dito to rent spaces and build facilities in military camps and communications relay stations.

Dito is 40 percent owned by China Telecom, a Chinese government-owned firm. The 60 percent is owned by Dennis Uy, a known supporter of the Duterte administration.

The senator said it cannot be denied that China has economic interests in the West Philippine Sea.

“It can’t be denied that China has a huge interest to claim our West Philippine Sea and if we take into consideration their actions in the past year, they will blatantly do everything—whether through our telecoms or power system—just for them to claim what is ours,” she lamented.

Earlier, an Australian lawmaker warned that China is using Communist Party-controlled and owned instrumentalities like ChinaTel and Dito as ‘Trojan Horses’ to infiltrate infrastructure of small countries in the Indo-China region.

Dito’s administrative officer, Adel Tamano, had disputed spying activities on the part of the company, saying the Dito Telecommunity is run by Filipinos and would not allow espionage activities that could put the country’s national security at risk.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

mila kunis posted:

eyy an actual good and informative article on belarus: https://newleftreview.org/sidecar/posts/the-opposition-business

interesting, thanks.

it seems like the more i learn about world history the more i understand how to explain "democracy" as a justification for intervention is a nation's internal class struggle and market liberalization rather than a liberation effort to my friends.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

mortons stork posted:

yeah, but like I said that's indirect funding.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
When other options fail, you can always vote in a comedian. Does the current government of Italy still have the backing of the 5 star movement?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/PriapusIQ/status/1427587021997068298?s=19
https://twitter.com/PriapusIQ/status/1427588653002461187?s=19
https://twitter.com/PriapusIQ/status/1427589306735017985?s=19
https://twitter.com/PriapusIQ/status/1427589612923506690?s=19

The mad lad is doing it.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I recently heard a Taiwanese talkshow commentator (one I respect) mentioned that Xi is going to revise some PRC long running policy from the Deng era, particular that one slogan "let some people get rich first". That would be major revision of the state policy if it happens. Consider it just a rumor.

Also, it will TOTALLY touch the American elites nerve more that the "Made in China 2025" policy, which Beijing no longer overtly state.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

stephenthinkpad posted:

I recently heard a Taiwanese talkshow commentator (one I respect)

lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/inquirerdotnet/status/1427498700587241476

quote:

it doesn't matter to them. it only matters to people absorbing the financial and social costs of letting muslim refugees in from almost halfway around the world. Are you willing to adopt one of those afghans to live in your household?

quote:

Good. Adopt them then. Just don't expect the state or other Filipinos to shoulder the costs.

quote:

what if a taliban poses as an afghanistan refugee and went to mindanao to spread their ideologies?

quote:

We have to be careful with the refugees from Afghanistan. Though there are those who are desperate to leave their country for their safety, there might be some who might be dangerous. Remember the founding leaders of Abu Sayyaff fought in the Afghan-Soviet War and we still have Islamic Extremists in our own doorsteps.

quote:

Two things:
1. Real refugees who will get repatriated once the CCP and the Taliban firmed their ties.
2. Taliban-leaning infiltrators who'll probably support the CCP once the CCP and the Taliban firmed their ties.
Take your pick.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Xisus take the wheel...

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Palladium posted:

https://apnews.com/article/china-dubai-uyghurs-60d049c387b99b1238ebd5f1d3bb3330

but we still published this nothingburger anyway because muh fact-based agenda for Afghanistan copium

Her fiancé was already arrested in Dubai and released without charges!

Bob Fu is head of ChinaAid AND Senior Fellow for International Religious Freedom at the Family Research Council.

ChinaAid is funded by the usual CIA cutouts.

LOL

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
Lol Sen. Cornyn tweeted then deleted a post saying there are 30,000 troop in Taiwan.

Senator reveals '30,000 US troops stationed in Taiwan island,' equal to ‘declaring war on China’ if it's true
https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202108/1231686.shtml

Global Times had a good analysis.

"A senior US senator, also a member of US Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, on his social media revealed that the US has 30,000 soldiers stationed in China's Taiwan island. If the tweet is correct, it is a military invasion and occupation of China's Taiwan and equivalent to the US declaring war on China. China could immediately activate its Anti-Secession Law to destroy and expel US troops in Taiwan and reunify Taiwan militarily, some experts noted."

HOWEVER

Li Haidong, a professor at the Institute of International Relations of the China Foreign Affairs University, told the Global Times on Tuesday that such ridiculous and shocking news is more likely the result from the old age of the senator that makes him a dotard or his confusion about the data with previous data in the 1970s or 1960s. But we have to acknowledge that there are also some US senators fabricating data to boost their political careers.

The presumed dotardedly nature of American leadership may save the day and prevent the nukes from flying!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

We don't even have bases there lmao

this old rear end fogey literally thought he was in the 1970s when he tweeted that

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

yeah, where the gently caress would they be hiding 30,000 people? That wouldn't exactly be a small piece of land that they would be living on. The most charitable take that I can think of is that it's like that Trump admin "5,000 troops to columbia" note that was "accidentally" shown to the cameras that was just bullshit to scare Venezuela, but in this case was just miscalculated bullshit to try and scare China? for some reason?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Brave truups: We all got cold feet the last time we did our bloodless little drone misadventure on Iran in 2019

Senator: Oh that means you mercs won't be deserting en masse when I declare war on China, right....Right?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've been to the headquarters of the United States Taiwan Defense Command, where I saw a propaganda exhibit by an anti-China reactionary.

https://www.tfam.museum/index.aspx?ddlLang=zh-tw

The former site of the headquarters is where the Taipei Fine Arts Museum is at. It's a pretty nice modern art museum with exhibits featuring Taiwanese artists and some foreign and rotating exhibits. When I was there, there was an Ai Weiwei exhibit that featured his Forever Bicycle sculpture, which was really cool.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I'm going agree that the dude is just senile. There's no way the USA has snuck 30,000 troops onto Taiwan without China or anyone on the island noticing them being there.

Edit: The only other thing I can think of is some US intelligence report thinks Taiwan can be defended with 30,000 US soldiers.

OhFunny has issued a correction as of 15:43 on Aug 18, 2021

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

OhFunny posted:

I'm going agree that the dude is just senile. There's no way the USA has snuck 30,000 troops onto Taiwan without China or anyone on the island noticing them being there.

Edit: The only other thing I can think of is some US intelligence report thinks Taiwan can be defended with 30,000 US soldiers.

So the potential explanations here seem to be:
1) the US military has pulled off the largest and most successful secret deployment of troops ever, right under the nose of China, in Taiwan, where China has a relatively small but extant group of people who openly support their interests and otherwise have almost certainly considerable intelligence assets, with the US doing so despite knowing it's red line that would likely lead to war, while also providing minimal advantage over having troops stationed in their large and established bases in South Korean and Japan.
2) A GOP Senator from Texas is a dumbass

hmmmmm

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

He was probably using out of date numbers from before the rapprochement with the PRC

The US has been covertly reintroducing troops to Taiwan though, just in much smaller numbers than 30,000.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Obviously there is no US Army stationing in Taiwan, outside of a couple thousand? spy in AIT.

Have you heard any drunk soldier rape allegation?

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 16:18 on Aug 18, 2021

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Come to think of it has China ever made a stink about Singaporean troops in Taiwan? I'm guessing they don't want to mess with a place they can use for trade/money laundering and will never be a real threat, but it's funny that they're seemingly cool with it in a way.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Turtle Watch posted:

Lol Sen. Cornyn tweeted then deleted a post saying there are 30,000 troop in Taiwan.

Senator reveals '30,000 US troops stationed in Taiwan island,' equal to ‘declaring war on China’ if it's true
https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202108/1231686.shtml

Global Times had a good analysis.

"A senior US senator, also a member of US Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, on his social media revealed that the US has 30,000 soldiers stationed in China's Taiwan island. If the tweet is correct, it is a military invasion and occupation of China's Taiwan and equivalent to the US declaring war on China. China could immediately activate its Anti-Secession Law to destroy and expel US troops in Taiwan and reunify Taiwan militarily, some experts noted."

HOWEVER

Li Haidong, a professor at the Institute of International Relations of the China Foreign Affairs University, told the Global Times on Tuesday that such ridiculous and shocking news is more likely the result from the old age of the senator that makes him a dotard or his confusion about the data with previous data in the 1970s or 1960s. But we have to acknowledge that there are also some US senators fabricating data to boost their political careers.

The presumed dotardedly nature of American leadership may save the day and prevent the nukes from flying!

potentially starting a war via tweet is something alright

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The chances of Singaporean soldiers shooting at the PLA under any circumstance are roughly 0.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Red and Black posted:

He was probably using out of date numbers from before the rapprochement with the PRC

The US has been covertly reintroducing troops to Taiwan though, just in much smaller numbers than 30,000.

Not even that covertly seeing as they've literally confirmed it, but it's just special operations training etc, along with plenty of "contractors" for training on the US equipment.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

stephenthinkpad posted:

Obviously there is no US Army stationing in Taiwan, outside of a couple thousand? spy in AIT.

Have you heard any drunk soldier rape allegation?

lol that would be a dead giveaway wouldn’t it

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

https://www.scmp.com/news/people-culture/environment/article/3145450/china-considers-legal-changes-curb-noise-pollution

quote:

China considers legal changes to curb noise pollution from the country’s notorious dancing grannies
A 62-year-old square-dancer [said] she has not yet heard anything about the regulation, but was not concerned. “If they won’t let us dance, we’ll figure out something else then”

Amendments to existing noise pollution law from 1997 are currently before the Standing Committee of the National People’s Congress, China’s legislative branch.

Entertainment and exercise in public places would be required to observe rules restricting the places and times they can perform. Anyone in breach of the new rules could be fined from 200 to 500 yuan (US$30 to $77).
The amendments also include extending the legislation to include smaller rural villages, more planning for the control of industrial and transport noise, and adding standards for vibration control.
my first thought was cadres of grannies going into the mountains to begin their campaign of guerilla dance ambushes on the PLA and chinese citizens lol

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/WOTB07/status/1427202774551441410
https://twitter.com/indmilitarynews/status/1427234385758019585

happyhippy posted:

The UK don't want anyone anymore whose a shade darker than weak milky tea.
Take the Gurhkas, fought for the UK army in WW2, given a UK pension LESS than what the army gives dogs in its service.
No joke, some are hunger striking outside of Downing Street right now, and no one gives a flying gently caress.

shirts and skins posted:

We tried all we could to build them in our image

US Cop training Afghan counterparts, May 2012: *chambers bullet* okay, where do you keep the dogs around here

Bideo James posted:

one of the propaganda things that was used in the early invasion of the afghan war was that "afghans are scared / skeptical of dogs, and will shoot them on sight and such because cultural things" and it was a lie to dehumanize them

dead gay comedy forums posted:

oh my loving god this is a post of posts

quote:

From what is happening, the Taliban might last less than one week. The Taliban has decided that burning dogs and destroying villiages will make their people much more willing to join the Taliban army. Of course they have not, large numbers of people in Afganistan have already left, or if they have not, are going to the Northern Alliance. I heard on MSNBC that the NA will be moving out in the morning, when the US and Britian will not be attacking, and are supposed to be heading to Kabul. The US and Britian do not want the NA to help though, their weapons are old, and will most likely get in the way. Although right now the NA is being pretty good about it, and are not moving from their positions, they are just listing to the radio about what is happening.

https://medium.com/@ultrahuhwhat/universal-values-imperialism-the-debasement-of-leftism-of-humanism-and-of-hope-9386b1210036
The concept of “personhood” is very vague in the West. Some Western scholars are now discussing where to place pets such as cats and dogs on the spectrum. Although I may jokingly refer to myself as a “loyal dog-like servant”, there is no ambiguity if I am asked to delineate between dogs and humans. A dog is a dog and a person is a person. But Westerners fly into a rage as soon as they hear about people eating dog meat. Chinese people often don’t understand this reaction because we think differently: we simply and neatly group dogs, pigs and cows all into the category of animals, but Westerners think in terms of the degree-of-humanity spectrum and to them dogs are closer to people than pigs and cows.

As Edward Said has previously elaborated in his writings, this is how Western culture hypocritically serves the interests of imperialism.

At this point, if you are able to finally see the incongruity that lies at the very heart of Western humanism, then you will understand that when they are shouting “everyone is equal” and “freedom, equality and fraternity”, they are actually being sincere and believe in those words wholeheartedly. It’s just that when they are uttering those phrases, they never had you in mind as they never regarded you as human beings in the first place.

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SL.TLF.TOTL.FE.ZS?locations=CN

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo

Throatwarbler posted:

Shorts and T-shirts a really a thing for pasty faced civilians in temperate climates.

Throatwarbler posted:

People who spend their lives in hot climates (e.g. Bedouins) rarely wear anything that exposes skin to the sun or environment if they have a choice.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

lmao is that a percent and a half decline?

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo

Throatwarbler posted:

Hey guys I wrote a NYT/WP article about China:

Horny Asian sluts near you are LUSTING FOR YOUR WHITE COCK.

My pulitzer is in the mail presumably

https://www.zhihu.com/question/68135158/answer/610441394

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
https://i.imgur.com/Zmk5lYv.mp4

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

cant wait for next weeks headline of women leaving chinese workforce because of sexist neoconfucianism

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

woah a two percent difference in the female workforce over the course of more than 25 years during the same period when poverty rate ($3.20/day PPP) in China fell from 90% to 7%, god forbid any middle class families have single income households now that they can afford to eat lol

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

lmao even their dogs are better organized than us

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/BadChinaTake/status/1427997640101408774

im confused i thought the gimmick of this account was that it clearly sourced the bad china takes

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/Noahpinion/status/1427870720189636610

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/accidentalflyer/status/1427739135213588481

im trying to guess what yamamoto could possibly have defined as diversity that he or anyone else in the early twentieth century would have recognized as a decisive advantage to america as a world military power