Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cats are pretty good at not falling, they know the landing hurts. But they are predators and if there's an open window and a bird zooms past instinct can take over and off they go. I personally wouldn't leave a window open if it doesn't have a screen.

If it's an indoor cat I wouldn't put a collar on it, there's no need. It's not bad for them in any way, it just seems pointless.

Cats generally do fine solo and being left alone for long periods. Certain personalities will do a lot better with a cat friend though, but it's hard to predict when they're kittens.

Cat sitting: it is preferred to pay someone to come to your home once or twice a day to feed them. Moving cats to a new environment is super stressful for them. Worse if there's established cats there already.

Feeding: it's best to feed them as much wet food as you can. People opt for dry food because it's cheaper and less work. But a quality wet food is the best choice for long term health. Feeding schedule is up to your preferences, as long as you don't change it constantly because cats love routine. One big meal a day, 2-3 small meals a day, whatever makes you happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Absolutely do not leave a cat with open windows that don't have flyscreen, the cat will fall out of the windows.

Other than that try not to stress too much, cats are generally low-maintenance pets compared to what you're used to. Half of the things you buy for it probably won't get used but you'll learn what it likes and dislikes as you go! You don't have to get it perfect right away.

They especially are not like dogs in that they don't need a regimented routine or to be trained to be or do anything in particular, just let them do what they like as long as it's not dangerous or something you specifically don't want. They don't respond well to negative reinforcement - their reaction to a person getting mad at them is "ok I'll just come back and try again later". You need to kind of trick/convince them that the thing they're trying to do is inherently unpleasant or not worth it or make it impossible.

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 18, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

xzzy posted:

Cats are pretty good at not falling, they know the landing hurts. But they are predators and if there's an open window and a bird zooms past instinct can take over and off they go. I personally wouldn't leave a window open if it doesn't have a screen.

If it's an indoor cat I wouldn't put a collar on it, there's no need. It's not bad for them in any way, it just seems pointless.

Cats generally do fine solo and being left alone for long periods. Certain personalities will do a lot better with a cat friend though, but it's hard to predict when they're kittens.

Cat sitting: it is preferred to pay someone to come to your home once or twice a day to feed them. Moving cats to a new environment is super stressful for them. Worse if there's established cats there already.

Feeding: it's best to feed them as much wet food as you can. People opt for dry food because it's cheaper and less work. But a quality wet food is the best choice for long term health. Feeding schedule is up to your preferences, as long as you don't change it constantly because cats love routine. One big meal a day, 2-3 small meals a day, whatever makes you happy.

Thanks for this

There's no screens on any of our windows and there's no way to mount them - super old single pane sliding windows. Right now there's AC units in the windows and the open space is blocked off but I guess I'll have to figure something out.

Fair enough about the collar. It's just super ingrained into me that the collar is necessary from owning an outdoor dog. I guess the microchip is all you need? What age do you get kittens microchipped?

Cat sitting: Hmm, alright. We were hoping that the cats would 'get to know each other' and be able to spend time in each other's places. Is this impossible due to the nature of cats? I'm certain my whole place currently smells like the previous cat we were looking after so it'll be a familiar scent if nothing else.

Feeding: Alright, wet food it is. I guess I need to look at the food thread that's referenced in the OP, or are there some great recommendations for The Best Wet Food for cats? I'd say money is no object but I'm sure there's $3000/mo cat food. Let's say I'm comfortable spending $100-150/month on cat food.

e:

Organza Quiz posted:

Absolutely do not leave a cat with open windows that don't have flyscreen, the cat will fall out of the windows.

Other than that try not to stress too much, cats are generally low-maintenance pets compared to what you're used to. Half of the things you buy for it probably won't get used but you'll learn what it likes and dislikes as you go! You don't have to get it perfect right away.

Jesus, alright. Maybe I can find some way of attaching a screen from the inside of the windows.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

VelociBacon posted:

Thanks for this

There's no screens on any of our windows and there's no way to mount them - super old single pane sliding windows. Right now there's AC units in the windows and the open space is blocked off but I guess I'll have to figure something out.

Fair enough about the collar. It's just super ingrained into me that the collar is necessary from owning an outdoor dog. I guess the microchip is all you need? What age do you get kittens microchipped?

Cat sitting: Hmm, alright. We were hoping that the cats would 'get to know each other' and be able to spend time in each other's places. Is this impossible due to the nature of cats? I'm certain my whole place currently smells like the previous cat we were looking after so it'll be a familiar scent if nothing else.

Feeding: Alright, wet food it is. I guess I need to look at the food thread that's referenced in the OP, or are there some great recommendations for The Best Wet Food for cats? I'd say money is no object but I'm sure there's $3000/mo cat food. Let's say I'm comfortable spending $100-150/month on cat food.

e:

Jesus, alright. Maybe I can find some way of attaching a screen from the inside of the windows.

I bought some fine garden netting and used gaffer tape to hang it. Looks like rear end, keeps flies and mosquitoes out. My senior cat hasn't busted through, but she probably could if she put her mind to it. If you are putting it on the inside a staple gun would probably work more securely, and still look like rear end. I just couldn't put holes in the siding or aluminum windows, but tiny holes in walls or wooden frames are easy to patch.

This is the stuff I got: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07PGNWS88
I've used it in gardens before and had it last a couple years, so I figured it would be an inexpensive fly screen for a ground floor apartment, and having any kind of barrier is enough to discourage my lazy cat from trying to koolaid man through the window.

If flies are not a worry you can get a sturdier kitten resistant barrier with chicken wire or hardware cloth. Barnyard chic. Metal, should last basically forever indoors. You can kinda wiggle your fingers through it to get your window open and closed, probably. Again a staple gun would be the easiest way to attach it. Still very easy to tear down in the event of a fire or something.

Cheaper than custom made window screens, but as I said looks bad.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

VelociBacon posted:

Thanks for this

e:

Re collar: both of mine are 100% indoor cats, and I always keep collars on. It’s minimal extra effort, but if they make it outside, anyone who sees them immediately knows they’re pets.

The amount of time it takes cats to warm up to a new space means that its not really a good option. For the most part if they’re not spending time with another cat, they’ll forget that cat, then reintroducing them makes them start from square on again.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There are other screen options out there too. Amazon has some with magnets on them if the window happens to have a metal frame. There's a product out there called flexscreen too that allegedly can be put in any window. There's probably clones out there too.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Facebook Aunt posted:

This is the stuff I got: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07PGNWS88
I've used it in gardens before and had it last a couple years, so I figured it would be an inexpensive fly screen for a ground floor apartment, and having any kind of barrier is enough to discourage my lazy cat from trying to koolaid man through the window.

If flies are not a worry you can get a sturdier kitten resistant barrier with chicken wire or hardware cloth. Barnyard chic. Metal, should last basically forever indoors. You can kinda wiggle your fingers through it to get your window open and closed, probably. Again a staple gun would be the easiest way to attach it. Still very easy to tear down in the event of a fire or something.

Cheaper than custom made window screens, but as I said looks bad.

Yeah any cat determined to get outside will bust through that in no time. They do sell cat-resistant window screen, we have it on all of our windows and doors out of necessity: https://www.amazon.com/MAGZO-Replac...9310898&sr=8-10

I bet you could cobble something together using that for your windows.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Cat’s are territorial so removing a cat from it’s territory and throwing it into another cat’s territory will be super stressful for both animals. It’s easier to have someone housesit/check on them.

A collar with ID tag is one more thing that might help you reunite with your cat if they get lost. I don’t see any reason not to?

If you can get 2 littermates they might help deflect the firehose of pure kitten assholery.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

VelociBacon posted:

After having read the OP I'm wondering about two cats - basically my partner is going up there to look at two and then take one home or something, I'm not sure if two littermates are 'available' or whatnot. I have to say that I'm very reluctant to have two because:

• Worried it will make it very hard to find catsitters as the cat would be going to another cat owner's home most likely, or is this going to be hopeless anyways even if we introduce those cats properly? We do a couple 2-3 week trips per year usually.
  • Worried about a situation where one cat passes away/is put down and then we need to get another cat, and then another one when the first one passes away, then another, etc
  • SEEMS LIKE A LOT OF CATS
  • There's generally always someone home, partner works from home and I work shift work and I'm off work more days than I'm there, not sure the cat will be sitting around feeling lonely much
  • The cat I was looking after recently is an only-cat, and seems happy? Is having a single cat a recipe for sad cat?

You're overthinking this. The reason we recommend getting two kittens is that kittens have INSANE amounts of energy, and you will get exhausted trying to keep up with them to expend that energy. It's not about someone being there to keep the kitten from being lonely, it's about someone constantly playing with the kitten because otherwise it becomes a bored rear end in a top hat destroying everything and keeping you awake. Getting two kittens means they will direct that energy towards themselves, and all you really have to do is watch the fun, clean their litterboxes, and cuddle them.

If you think you can handle it, ok, go for one kitten. It's temporary anyway - once they've grown cats tend to mellow out, and most are just fine being alone for long stretches of the day - they just sleep anyway. But the kitten months may be hectic.

So to sum up: KITTENS are much easier to care for when they have a playmate. CATS, while they are social animals, can do just fine as solo pets.

Oh, and as someone above me said, if you have someone cat-sit, they come to YOUR house. Taking the cat to someone else's house while you're gone is a good way to traumatize a cat.

quote:

Food: I've read a lot about the obligate carnivore thing, and I've heard a lot about cats having renal dysfunction. I work in (human) healthcare, in critical care where we do things like monitor urine outputs, look at those kind of labs related to the kidney, do continuous dialysis in ICU, that sort of thing and so I really want to maximize the renal health as much as possible because I'll be stressing about it no matter what. How many times a day should you feed? How do you 'dose' the amount of food for a kitten?

Is there a downside to purely going wet food seeing as that gives the most hydration per caloric intake? I read about avoiding the carbs in dry food as well for liver health. Why does anyone use dry food then? Is a wet/dry mix the best? Should I rotate brands of food to reduce the chances of allergies developing? How much of this is just cat preference?

Again, you're overthinking it. Just feed your kitten the amount it wants to eat. They're growing, they basically can't overeat. And going 100% wet food is fine, just make sure they're getting enough - personally, I always have dry food out to let our cats (and foster kittens) free feed, and then give them wet food 2x a day. They prefer the wet food, and it is better for them, but they always have a source of food available if they need more.

quote:

I'm still looking up what needs doing at different ages, is there a good guide for this where it's broken down like the service intervals for a vehicle? I'll know more about the kitten's age hopefully well before this coming weekend so I can plan this stuff. Should I be making an appointment with a vet for an initial assessment?

Make an immediate appointment with a vet for the spaying, and then ask all your questions there. Normally the shelter would help you with this stuff, but obviously you're not getting this kitten from a shelter.

quote:

The plan is to bring the cat down, we don't have a small room (like a laundry room etc) that isn't the bathroom so maybe we'll keep the cat in one of the bedrooms for a few days with the litter in the same room and see how that goes? What should the game plan be re: fleas? What should I be on the lookout for? If the cat wants to sleep under a bed or whatnot should I just let it be or should I be placing it in the cat bed in that playpen?

I'm sure I'll have more questions. Any advice is appreciated.

I'd put it in one room temporarily to not overwhelm it, as moving can be a scary thing for a cat or kitten. Then as it starts getting bolder and exploring more, open up the rest of the house.

For fleas, use a flea comb to find fleas and dirt, or just get that vet appointment ASAP - they'll tell you right away if it has fleas.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Managing kittens has never seemed like that much of a chore to me. But maybe I'm weird because I'll spend hours with a kitten, they're too much drat fun.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, but if you don't have those hours to spend, a solo kitten can be a bit much. We're currently fostering 4 kittens and it's a breeze - they chase each other all day then sleep on top of us.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Spread the fur in their armpits so you can see skin to check for fleas. If you see them you want to do something immediately, if not then still vet asap for general kitten stuff.

The Cat FAQ/Megathread: is there a good guide for this where it's broken down like the service intervals for a vehicle?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, but if you don't have those hours to spend, a solo kitten can be a bit much. We're currently fostering 4 kittens and it's a breeze - they chase each other all day then sleep on top of us.

When we took in our current pair of cats I set up a bed for me and everything kittens needed in our spare bedroom and basically lived in there for a week, only left them to go to work. It was pretty great waking up next to these two dorks.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Buff Hardback posted:

Re collar: both of mine are 100% indoor cats, and I always keep collars on. It’s minimal extra effort, but if they make it outside, anyone who sees them immediately knows they’re pets.

This is my stance on cats with collars. It's just an extra layer of precaution in case the cat escapes.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

My cats immediately remove their own collars and then remove the collar of the cat that hasn't removed theirs. Then proceed to play with the removed collar and I'll find it weeks later under the couch. We gave up and now just make sure the contact info on their chips is up to date.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
One time Rexie's collar just vanished and we couldn't find it anywhere, so we caved and got a new one (somewhat annoying since we get these engraved tags that strap to the collar so it isn't dangling).

A few weeks later I cleaned the sugar glider cage and found the old collar in their treasure horde in one of their hammocks. I have no idea how it ended up in their cage, but they were really mad that I took away what was probably the greatest thing they ever stole.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thanks everyone for the helpful posts. I've read every single one, won't bother quoting each in this post but it's super appreciated. We'll probably use a collar at least initially and see how things go. I'll find out how to secure the windows.

I learned just now the kitten is 8 weeks old. Where does that put me in terms of timing for vaccinations and such?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

VelociBacon posted:

I learned just now the kitten is 8 weeks old. Where does that put me in terms of timing for vaccinations and such?

My vet once told me eight weeks is their threshold for spay/neuter, so you should be able to get the kitten done very soon. Vaccinations and stuff vary a bit more, your vet will be able to tell you.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

saintonan posted:

My vet once told me eight weeks is their threshold for spay/neuter, so you should be able to get the kitten done very soon. Vaccinations and stuff vary a bit more, your vet will be able to tell you.

I've had vets that wanted to wait until 4-6 months. It comes down to their comfort level, organs are extremely small at 8 weeks so it allegedly makes the job easier if they wait a bit longer. With males timing isn't a big deal but females can go into heat after 5 months so there is some pressure to get it done earlier.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Hey, all.

Just moved to the US and back home we fed our cat a specific Royal Canin food reinforced in fiber. It's available here but apparently only sold under prescription.

The people at Pet Smart told us that we could stop by the pet hospitals at some of their locations and see if the vets there would be OK validating a prescription from our vet back home.

I called and the checkup fee is $50, which I'll pay, obviously, but I was wondering if maybe there's anything cheaper since I figure that PetSmart is probably not on the lower end.

Also tips/recommendations about pet insurance are welcome! We literally got here 5 days ago so still getting the hang of things.

Edit: this is in Atlanta.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 18, 2021

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
We got Katya a fancy collar with a custom engraved QR code pendant but at some point we decided it was useless to keep it on her. She doesn't like it, it mats her fluffy manes and makes it difficult to comb them through, and she only goes into the backyard anyway. We never even got Kimchi one, just a chip when she got spayed (at 5 months btw, the earliest the vet would do it).
It does help that where I live there are basically no feral cats, you can pretty much assume any collarless cat is an indoor/outdoor cat going on a stroll.

e: if you do put a collar on your cat, make sure it has a safety closure that pops open under pressure. never use ones with buckles, especially on kittens, they could snag on something and hang themselves.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

My easy cat has a collar because just in case, why not. My difficult cat has had a collar twice in her life and has lost both of them, and is so scared of humans that I figure if she got out no one would see her with the collar anyway so eh why bother.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Let the kitten free roam the house for the first time overnight and I got a total of 1 (one) hour of sleep.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

We use little harnesses with GPS trackers we can track on our phones for when we let our cats roam around our vast yard. It's really cool to be able to track where they are at any given moment, and it gives some security when you've got like a 4-acre yard enclosed by a bendy wire mesh fence that's difficult for cats to scale but not impossible.... Anyway, it's a good system and works quite well.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

kaworu posted:

We use little harnesses with GPS trackers we can track on our phones for when we let our cats roam around our vast yard. It's really cool to be able to track where they are at any given moment, and it gives some security when you've got like a 4-acre yard enclosed by a bendy wire mesh fence that's difficult for cats to scale but not impossible.... Anyway, it's a good system and works quite well.

That sounds like a fantastic solution for my parents cat. What kind do you have?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Velocibacon, I would highly recommend Nature's Miracle for poo/pee/puke cleanup instead of what was in your screenshot. I also recommend getting Da Bird as most cats and kittens greatly enjoy it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

InvisibleMonkey posted:

We got Katya a fancy collar with a custom engraved QR code pendant but at some point we decided it was useless to keep it on her. She doesn't like it, it mats her fluffy manes and makes it difficult to comb them through, and she only goes into the backyard anyway. We never even got Kimchi one, just a chip when she got spayed (at 5 months btw, the earliest the vet would do it).
It does help that where I live there are basically no feral cats, you can pretty much assume any collarless cat is an indoor/outdoor cat going on a stroll.

e: if you do put a collar on your cat, make sure it has a safety closure that pops open under pressure. never use ones with buckles, especially on kittens, they could snag on something and hang themselves.

Yep it has the break-away feature.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

Velocibacon, I would highly recommend Nature's Miracle for poo/pee/puke cleanup instead of what was in your screenshot. I also recommend getting Da Bird as most cats and kittens greatly enjoy it.

Cool, thanks.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Lasting Damage posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question, but is it alright to ask for regional recommendations on shelters? I have a friend trying to adopt a cat and was looking for advice, but every cat I've gotten since the 90s has been directly adopted from other people or a stray so I wasn't sure what to tell him.

We live in the CA Bay Area.
I'm a big fan of Cat Town in Oakland. They're a shelter with a cafe where you can schedule visits to have a drink and hang out with the cats. They put special focus on helping kitties that are otherwise considered difficult to adopt, i.e. old, skittish, etc., but they get some perfectly adorable kittens too.

Not all the cats are ready to hang out in the cafe area and they have really nice smaller booth areas where you can go in and meet the slightly more difficult or sensitive ones.

Even if your friend is unsure about what they're looking for, the cafe visits have no expectation of committing to anything and the staff are really nice and could talk them through their options.

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010
I recently moved into a new apartment and discovered that the city is ripping up and redoing the surrounding streets. The notice on the building door said that the project is projected to last until mid-September and it's been, uh, very loud for a week or so now. My cat has mostly been rolling with the punches, but I can tell that she finds the loud noises really disturbing (and probably especially so since she's in a new place, although she's generally pretty confident and didn't seem that scared of the new apartment). Does anyone have recommendations about how to make this situation as minimally stressful for her as I can, given that I can't reduce the exterior noise or activity?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I’ve had Latte for a week now and she’s getting braver every day. She doesn’t hide all day anymore and she mostly sleeps at night, with very little meowing.

One small concern I have is she barely touches her water. I’ve seen her lapping at her bowl here and there but the volume of water barely goes down in a day.

We do feed her wet food so maybe she’s getting enough water from that?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

dantheman650 posted:

I’ve had Latte for a week now and she’s getting braver every day. She doesn’t hide all day anymore and she mostly sleeps at night, with very little meowing.

One small concern I have is she barely touches her water. I’ve seen her lapping at her bowl here and there but the volume of water barely goes down in a day.

Yeah if a cat exclusively eats wet food they need very little additional water.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

dantheman650 posted:

Imo get one of these if you haven’t already.

Comsmart Cat Water Fountain, 81oz/2.4L LED Pet Fountain Stainless Steel Automatic Drinking Water Dispenser for Cats, Dogs, Other Pets https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07SMPC3MD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_TKJHJKZMFCPWPB9MQNF5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Cats don’t care for stagnant water much.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

What are some good brands for wet food? Anything to avoid?

e: I called a local vet today to just check in and see what the process was for new cats, timelines for stuff, etc. Seems good. Also looked at pet insurance which we'll be doing once we know the breed (it's going to be domestic shorthair probably). I somehow gave the person answering the phone there the impression I was anti-cat-vax by asking about what the vaccines were against and I didn't clue into this until they were almost pleading with me about it.

Getting less nervous now about it.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 20, 2021

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

What are some good brands for wet food? Anything to avoid?

They're all "good" in that the nutritional content is regulated by the FDA and all will provide proper nutrition, regardless of price.

The only thing that really matters is what your cat likes and if they have any allergic or other health issues with specific ingredients. Beyond that, go hog wild and buy whatever you want.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

They're all "good" in that the nutritional content is regulated by the FDA and all will provide proper nutrition, regardless of price.

The only thing that really matters is what your cat likes and if they have any allergic or other health issues with specific ingredients. Beyond that, go hog wild and buy whatever you want.

Sweet, thanks.

Additional question - what kitty litter material for a kitten? The pellets?

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

Sweet, thanks.

Additional question - what kitty litter material for a kitten? The pellets?

E: Listen to the folks below me

Ball Tazeman fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Aug 20, 2021

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

You don't need a sifting tray for wood pellets, though it can simplify things considerably. Wood pellets also have the added bonus of being compostable (for non edible plant fertilizing) so you don't have to be chucking poo poo into the landfill

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

For an eight week old kitten IIRC clumping litter isn't good because they might eat it. If you specifically google litter for kittens you should get kitten-safe options.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Newspaper shreds is the traditional kitten litter. It stinks like hell and it's unlikely any of us even get a newspaper anymore, but that's what I always used.

So not suggesting it, just reminiscing. :v:

Wood pellets is what I'd use these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Jayne Doe posted:

I recently moved into a new apartment and discovered that the city is ripping up and redoing the surrounding streets. The notice on the building door said that the project is projected to last until mid-September and it's been, uh, very loud for a week or so now. My cat has mostly been rolling with the punches, but I can tell that she finds the loud noises really disturbing (and probably especially so since she's in a new place, although she's generally pretty confident and didn't seem that scared of the new apartment). Does anyone have recommendations about how to make this situation as minimally stressful for her as I can, given that I can't reduce the exterior noise or activity?

My sweet angle babby cat has a hard time during the summer because fireworks are legal here and we get summer thunderstorms. I’ve set up a lot of hiding places for him, like a cat fort under the loft bed, sheet over the chaise in my room so it’s more private. I set up three Feliway diffusers, one for each room of the house. It seems to help. He won’t want to be outside and watch fireworks like my fat cat but he uses the spaces when the noises get to be too much for him.

I’ve recently started giving my cats Zylkene, a supplement that has some milk protein in it, to chill out the fat one (he gets a little mean during the summer because he can smell all the community cats truckin and fuckin) and that seems to help, too. The supplement is supposed to help calm them, I think? They’ve both gotten more cuddly. Fat one still mean, though, and wants to glare at his enemies when they stop by.