Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

STAC Goat posted:

And then prepare for Atwell bulk up for that Captain Carter appearance in Secret Wars.

Maybe she'll punch Loki in the face in his second season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Retro Futurist posted:

I do kind of wish they'd do weird variant things with the What If opening. It would make perfect sense

It would be cool if like they added one animated thing after each episode so by the last one its got the whole season in there. It doesn't even seem all that different from the way they've changing the end episode credits on the Disney+ shows as characters were revealed.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Yeah, I believe this is canon, just a lot cheaper to animate brief one-off adventures than to spend the time and energy to do it live action (they’d have to not only make a Hydra Stomper, but also use digital magic to keep Steve as scrawny and tiny as he was in the opening of First Avenger for an entire episode).

It’ll be cool if/when something from this show makes an appearance live action, and since they’ve said there’ll be at least one Captain Carter episode a season she seems like character to bring over (also because Haley Atwell is basically done with the MCU otherwise so she could easily be thrown into the “main” mix).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I'm half joking but also half serious. Atwell feels like such a well received but underused MCU star and it would be a ton of fun to see her show up through multiverse magic as Captain Carter. You mainly just have to work out how much it would cost to get her to do the Natalie Portman workout plan.

It could be a really fun way to get people like Atwell and like Micheal B Jordan/Killmonger back in play if you can make the deals. And IF they have some kind of ideas of a Secret Wars/Battleworld type thing I think that's how you make it work.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Sanschel posted:

Yeah, I believe this is canon, just a lot cheaper to animate brief one-off adventures than to spend the time and energy to do it live action (they’d have to not only make a Hydra Stomper, but also use digital magic to keep Steve as scrawny and tiny as he was in the opening of First Avenger for an entire episode).

It’ll be cool if/when something from this show makes an appearance live action, and since they’ve said there’ll be at least one Captain Carter episode a season she seems like character to bring over (also because Haley Atwell is basically done with the MCU otherwise so she could easily be thrown into the “main” mix).

Not to mention getting Chris Evans back, which would be expensive as gently caress and maybe not even possible.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I prefer the Star Wars little eyecatch thing, quick pan over a bunch of helmets, done. Marvel could switch over to showing various super heroes butts.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

I prefer the Star Wars little eyecatch thing, quick pan over a bunch of helmets, done. Marvel could switch over to showing various super heroes butts.

Black Widow got a head start on that!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sanschel posted:

Black Widow got a head start on that!

I was thinking more like Cap, Hulk, Thor, Ant-man, Tony and so on.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
What about America's rear end

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

site posted:

What about America's rear end

You are right, it could just be a series of Steve's butts.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Butt If?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Someone write this guy a check

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I'm half joking but also half serious. Atwell feels like such a well received but underused MCU star and it would be a ton of fun to see her show up through multiverse magic as Captain Carter. You mainly just have to work out how much it would cost to get her to do the Natalie Portman workout plan.

It could be a really fun way to get people like Atwell and like Micheal B Jordan/Killmonger back in play if you can make the deals. And IF they have some kind of ideas of a Secret Wars/Battleworld type thing I think that's how you make it work.

Throw in a handful of mutant characters and you'd have a perfectly cromulent Exiles lineup

Now I'm kind of curious if we're going to get to see Tony Stark's best friend, Eric Killmonger the Black Panther, interact with his cousin from outer space, Starlord

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There is some world where the big secret plan is a giant multiverse crossover crisis that includes Captain Carter, Killmonger, Tobey and Garfield, Deadpool and Jackman, X-Men Quicksilver and MCU Quicksilver, and Wesley Snipes.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

There is some world where the big secret plan is a giant multiverse crossover crisis that includes Captain Carter, Killmonger, Tobey and Garfield, Deadpool and Jackman, X-Men Quicksilver and MCU Quicksilver, and Wesley Snipes.

Sounds like a perfectly acceptable Season Two finale for Loki. :shrug:

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting

STAC Goat posted:

They have to top the ending to End Game somehow, this honestly isnt that unrealistic imo

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

OnimaruXLR posted:

Throw in a handful of mutant characters and you'd have a perfectly cromulent Exiles lineup

Tbh there is a pink woman featured in the intro sequence showing all the timelines that I couldn't help but think was Blink

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Medullah posted:

This is the best issue of What If? change my mind

I had this issue and I won't even try to

Honorable mention goes to that time the Venom symbiote possessed the Punisher and Frank scared it into submission with his manly determination

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Medullah posted:

This is the best issue of What If? change my mind

The issue itself is unfunny garbage for the most part, but the opening story about Galactus being transformed into Elvis is legitimately my favorite comic book story.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Honorable mention goes to that time the Venom symbiote possessed the Punisher and Frank scared it into submission with his manly determination

It wasn't even the manly determination as Frank kind of understood that it wasn't a fight he could win that way. He just figured out what made the symbiote tick and told it straight-up, "Join me in a life of endless violence and adventure, but I run the show. If you don't follow my lead, I will kill us both with no hesitation."

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I had this issue and I won't even try to

Hey, I had that trading card!

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

STAC Goat posted:

See, I like that. That would have been the predictable, by the numbers path but Zola's in SHIELD custody so he's not there to conduct the experiments. And without him I guess Skull is less interested in converting the Tesseract into tech and weaponry and instead just jumps right into crazier ideas. It kept me guessing and I wasn't really expecting that.

Ah, you're right, I missed the detail about Zola not being around. And yes, avoiding predicability is nice, but the idea of Cap 2, but with Peggy as Cap and Steve as the Winter Soldier seems like something that would be cool to explore.

Is tomorrow supposed to be the T'Challa/Star Lord episode?

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting

WaffleZombie posted:

Is tomorrow supposed to be the T'Challa/Star Lord episode?

Word on the street is that it is, yeah

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

WaffleZombie posted:

Ah, you're right, I missed the detail about Zola not being around. And yes, avoiding predicability is nice, but the idea of Cap 2, but with Peggy as Cap and Steve as the Winter Soldier seems like something that would be cool to explore.

Yeah, Peggy goes into action as Cap quicker since she doesn't do the USO thing, so her first mission she captures Zola and acquires the Tesseract before he can get it to Skull. Howard Stark then use the Tesseract to power his armor since he was unable to find a power source until Tony made one. So I enjoyed all those little ripples. Made it feel like someone had fun really spitballing ripples.

Like I definitely had that same thought you had about Steve becoming the Winter Soldier. And it feels like they teased it deliberately with him falling in the same mission Bucky did. But I like that they surprised me and swerved somewhere else entirely.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Anyone else watching titans? I think I'm kind of enjoying season three but I'm not sure why?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I keep wanting to watch that then forget about it in like 5 minutes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kingtheninja posted:

Anyone else watching titans? I think I'm kind of enjoying season three but I'm not sure why?

Mentioned in another thread but I thought it was funny how they basically did a speed run through the Red Hood introduction and reveal.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
After watching the second episode of What If, assuming that the series maintains this kind of tone, I think one word sums it up succinctly:

It is... cute.

I don't say this disparagingly, but it's very... light. And sweet. We'll see if that changes when we get to something like the Marvel Zombies, but somehow I doubt it, considering that's going to have a teamup between Spidey and Dr. Strange's cape

Kinda disappointed that lounge singer Nebula didn't have her comics hair, but oh well

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I loved how T'challa out classes Peter both figuratively and literally in every aspect. talking down thanos and avoiding the snap all together lol

Also, the only thing that I love more than large women killing nazis: Howard the Duck!

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
drat that was a pile of fun. I could have done with a little less play by play by the new recruit but Boseman sold me on the character and the number of people who popped up made it fantastic. That was what I wanted What If to be. Much as I loved episode 1; this one was just a charming romp from start to finish.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Korath was my favorite part just because that was still Djimon Hounsou doing what seemed like a really fun character reversal. Same with the Collector, Benny getting a chance to take the ham up a few notches was fantastic.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

It's interesting, because a lot of the What If comics are relentlessly bleak, often with the format of "What If <some event we did last year> turned out different" with the result usually being "almost everyone dies and everything's terrible." The show, however, seems to be doing things that, so far, are at worst lateral moves and arguably improvements. Which is a lot more fun, frankly.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

jng2058 posted:

It's interesting, because a lot of the What If comics are relentlessly bleak, often with the format of "What If <some event we did last year> turned out different" with the result usually being "almost everyone dies and everything's terrible." The show, however, seems to be doing things that, so far, are at worst lateral moves and arguably improvements. Which is a lot more fun, frankly.

I'm guessing that happened early in the writing process as they realized that this series is going to not only have seasons, but season arcs, and unrelenting everyone dies grimness wouldn't lend itself well to a season arc. We're already seeing the Avengers lineup forming with both Starlord and Captain Carter ending up on Earth in the modern day. I'm just curious to see what the big villain is gonna be. Ego 2? Zombies? We didn't see where Gamora wound up this whole episode, maybe she's taking that Deadliest Woman in the Galaxy stuff to heart.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Gamora with the Gauntlet?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah I just can't see anybody thinking it's a good idea to kill off Chadwick even in a what if

As for the actual episode that was a lot of fun. Djimon sounded like he had a lot of fun as korath this time around. The Thanos joke killed me. Not sure I'm really feeling Nebula with the blonde hair but I get they were going for the the classic bombshell thing. Seeing the items tivan pulled out was cool. Lmao at the ending stinger

Can't believe they got literally everyone back to do the voices except Bautista. What's up with that

site fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 18, 2021

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

No Pratt either. Bautista said they didn't ask him though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He's been hyper critical of Disney since Gunn was fired. Even after Gunn got the gotg3 gig back Batista has not held back about the big D.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 minutes!
Pretty sure he's on record saying gotg3 is the last Disney project he's doing. Might just be mcu tho

E: I still don't like the animation much. It makes for some pretty wide shots, but something about the actual characters and movement just feels off to me.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

https://twitter.com/DaveBautista/status/1422297797588623361?s=20

Says he wasn't asked. Gunn is in the replies being surprised.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bautista says he was never asked, some Disney guy says they asked but that maybe it was through an agent and it never got to Dave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

theironjef posted:

I'm guessing that happened early in the writing process as they realized that this series is going to not only have seasons, but season arcs, and unrelenting everyone dies grimness wouldn't lend itself well to a season arc. We're already seeing the Avengers lineup forming with both Starlord and Captain Carter ending up on Earth in the modern day. I'm just curious to see what the big villain is gonna be. Ego 2? Zombies? We didn't see where Gamora wound up this whole episode, maybe she's taking that Deadliest Woman in the Galaxy stuff to heart.

They briefly showed basically the spinning shot from Avengers 1 with What If characters in one of the trailers. I don't remember exactly who, but definitely Starlord, Captain Carter, I think Loki with Mjolnir and an Ironman (probably Killmonger).