Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

brugroffil posted:

This is my own dumb thought, but might this mean that Delta is going to make it pretty hard for any other variants to get a foothold given how highly infectious it is? Yeah maybe some new variant will be cooked up that's twice as deadly, but if Delta is outcompeting everything still, it'll never catch on.

Didn't we already see this happen with Ligma Lambda?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thedavid
Oct 29, 2004

Starting on 9/11 this year I've 'season passed' Keith Olbermann on my tivo.

Also, Golden Girls.
I did it. I got a covid test.

2.2 miles from me is the hospital, and they have their urgent care people setup to swab noses in the hospital's parking garage.

I can't imagine that these doctors and nurses went to school expecting to work in an exhaust filled garage, but here we are.

I will find out tomorrow, I guess?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Is it not possible that with the advances in vaccines that we develop something sterilizing?

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Google Butt posted:

Is it not possible that with the advances in vaccines that we develop something sterilizing?

yes for the human race

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

brugroffil posted:

iirc the breaker will actually trip here but this is a cheap version of a lock-out where you can't easily reset it

If you want it to be hard to reset a breaker you lock the panel you don't jury-rig a fuckin fire hazard

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Casey Finnigan posted:

the kids who are being jerked around by school districts and the cdc are going to hate america so much

Getting jerked around by a school district is just how dealing with one goes.

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

inferis posted:

selling parody vaccine cards that say “please keep this record card, which includes medical information about the vaccines you haven’t received” (FOR NOVELTY USE ONLY) (PARODY NOT A REAL VACCINE CARD)

“Got the vaccine In Minecraft”

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Casey Finnigan posted:

with trump it was like being on a runaway train driven by a dumb clown that's panicking and doing a bunch of stupid poo poo to try to stop the train. with biden it's like being on a runaway train driven by a smiling silent man who doesn't acknowledge your presence and won't even try to stop the train

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

:neckbeard:

I know a goon found a CDC tab where you can use a slider to compare these but I still think my animated gifs of the actual twitter graphs are funnier

. . . . . .

They haven't leapt massively upwards for the first time in about 2 months and have actually dropped off a little this time, looks like that deceleration of case growth might be starting to kick in

It's more likely we're hitting testing thresholds. So many testing centers have been closed. My nephew has COVID and had use one of those store bought tests to confirm it. The family couldn't get a real PCR appointment because everything is booked solid.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Google Butt posted:

if we mix the vaccine base with the adjuvant in the lab in the second floor of the underground facility we'll get a glowing purple syringe full of sterilizing vaccine that also cures ongoing infections iirc

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Not a Children posted:

If you want it to be hard to reset a breaker you lock the panel you don't jury-rig a fuckin fire hazard

what if you think the people you leech rent payments off of are subhuman thieves tho and don't care at all about their safety. what then

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

i bet the hospital-izations are going down at this point

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

brugroffil posted:

I was trying to find some info on Illinois hospital utilizations and came across this 2015 business mag article decrying all these empty, unused hospital beds

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/static/section/hospital-beds-database.html

"buisiness" is just the science of taking something that works well and then breaking it, but somehow making money from the now broken thing

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Google Butt posted:

Personally I think there's reasonable likelihood that vaccine sprays end up being sterilizing. Being able to maintain a strong antibody response in the region you want (mucus membranes near the respiratory tract) may be what's required to shred the virus before it can start replicating in useful numbers.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Mr. Pizza posted:

yeah full ICUs were yesterday's news story, so they must be better at this point.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

trying to imagine healthcare 3 years from now after wave after wave this severe

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Mr. Pizza posted:

Hospitalizations in the hardest hit areas have plateaued!

(Because they can't hospitalize any more people than now)

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Google Butt posted:

It's possible after staggered dosing the current vaccines could be sterilizing, but our world leaders weren't thinking about that when they issued dosing guidance

Polio dosing for comparison:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/polio/public/index.html

quote:

Infants and Children

Children in the United States should get inactivated polio vaccine (IPV) to protect against polio, or poliomyelitis. They should get four doses total, with one dose at each of the following ages:

2 months old
4 months old
6 through 18 months old
4 through 6 years old

quote:

Adults

Adults in these three groups who have never been vaccinated against polio should get 3 doses of IPV:

The first dose at any time,
The second dose 1 to 2 months later,
The third dose 6 to 12 months after the second.

We are all guinea pigs

Lenin Stimpy
Sep 9, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Personally I think there's reasonable likelihood that vaccine sprays end up being sterilizing. Being able to maintain a strong antibody response in the region you want (mucus membranes near the respiratory tract) may be what's required to shred the virus before it can start replicating in useful numbers.

Yep, here's a discussion with Eric Topol on that (on MedCram):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haG1yKJVVAw&t=411s

Start at 6:51

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Google Butt posted:

IMO some of the neutralization studies of affinity matured antibodies suggest vaccine-induced sterilizing immunity might be possible. However some people in the previous thread got very salty when I made some posts to that effect and I am a factual idiot so who knows.

One thing I'm wondering is why are coronavirus antibodies so short lived? People are immune to measles forever but apparently we'll need a COVID booster shot every six eight months? Seems weird.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

McNugget Buddy posted:

It's possible after staggered dosing the current vaccines could be sterilizing, but our world leaders weren't thinking about that when they issued dosing guidance

Polio dosing for comparison:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/polio/public/index.html

We are all guinea pigs

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Google Butt posted:

yeah but at least in america you end up in an infinite loop of not enough people taking it or intentionally destroying and wasting doses while intentionally spreading disease everywhere they go?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nocturtle posted:

IMO some of the neutralization studies of affinity matured antibodies suggest vaccine-induced sterilizing immunity might be possible. However some people in the previous thread got very salty when I made some posts to that effect and I am a factual idiot so who knows.

One thing I'm wondering is why are coronavirus antibodies so short lived? People are immune to measles forever but apparently we'll need a COVID booster shot every six eight months? Seems weird.

Measles isn't mutating all the time for one thing

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

https://twitter.com/DWUhlfelderLaw/status/1428078215978004490

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Nocturtle posted:

measles isn't a fair comparison because it's extremely easy for your immune system to kill.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Yeah, I'm wondering if having only one variant circulating slows down the reinfection rates a bit. Prior to delta there were multiple circulating strains so resistance to one provides windows for others with a handful of different mutations to come in and infect someone instead. But with all of the other options squelched out, anything new has to sequentially mutate out of delta now. That being said, SARS-CoV-2 appears to mutate rapidly under the right selective pressures, and we've already seen mutations go completely global before (although maybe convergently) like D614G.

Luckily we are definitely taking strong action worldwide and are going to wipe delta out before it has a chance to mutate.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Joke world.

I heard a new term today. Toxic positivity.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

skewetoo posted:

Joke world.

i refuse to surround myself with negative people and doomers so i will go get brunch unmasked no new normal

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Nocturtle posted:

Unbelievable, just got an email from Pfizer saying my kids are NOT going to be enrolled in a pediatric trial. They claim there's not one in my area and yes there is I can see the locations on a map it's only like 2 hours drive. As a former mega commuter that's nothing. Appreciate them telling me at the very least.

This appears to be a form email from their pediatric study site that I filled out back in April, so it probably has no bearing on the study locations I contacted in person to get on the waitlist. However guessing they think they might have enough participants for their expanded phase 3 trial and are telling everyone else they won't be included. If this is true the fact that they're only at this point now is "concerning" for those hoping for a September EUA.
gently caress that sucks, but yeah at least you got a reply. yeahh kids aren't getting the jab until Jan/Feb
lol that i ever had hope for a sept/oct jab for my kids

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

skewetoo posted:

Joke world.

yeah that's a real thing it's like when Doctor Jill Biden tells us all the air tastes sweeter with no mask on !!

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Tzen posted:

gently caress that sucks, but yeah at least you got a reply. yeahh kids aren't getting the jab until Jan/Feb
lol that i ever had hope for a sept/oct jab for my kids

By then literally every kid would have had it

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

skewetoo posted:

Joke world.

It's those people that seem like they can never catch a break that always stay the course and never compromise. There's a reason that cloud follows them around.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Google Butt posted:

trying to imagine healthcare 3 years from now after wave after wave this severe

Medecins sans Frontieres have already been sending teams into the US to assist with the covid response: https://msf.org.au/country-region/usa

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

In line at Safeway for my booster. I gave them my real information because they require you show ID and they gave me a CDC card and told me to wait in line. Looks like I'm getting Pfizer. Kinda mad they didn't let me choose but eh fuckit. There's two people ahead of me getting jabbed before they call my name.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

ram dass in hell posted:

yeah that's a real thing it's like when Doctor Jill Biden tells us all the air tastes sweeter with no mask on !!

Yeah it clicked real quick that it's a major element of why we're in this poo poo

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

jisforjosh posted:

lmao while cleaning out my car i found my "essential worker" letter that was necessary to present if i was pulled over during the "lockdown and curfew"

lmao

Ah a fellow Melburnian I see.

My "essential" coworkers get stopped for a permit check like every day. Not me though since I guess I'm too old/white.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

WampaLord posted:

Measles isn't mutating all the time for one thing

Yeah but how does your immune system know that when deciding how long to make antibodies? How does it make a similar decision when confronted with a novel virus? Such as a certain novel coronavirus.

Basically I find the large variation in antibody lifetimes, like those summarized in this table, really weird:

Who designed this system, I have issues.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nocturtle posted:

Fun to look back a year, NYC COVID case counts are about eight times as high compared to a year ago, hospitalizations three times as high, deaths about twice as high (low statistics though). Great things lie ahead.

yeah I love doing a service job right now Lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

skewetoo posted:

Yeah it clicked real quick that it's a major element of why we're in this poo poo

drake no: pull yrself up by yr bootstrapp
drake yes: manifest abundance queen !!!