Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

soundflower Just Works in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Is there an adblocker for safari that works to block youtube ads? 1blocker doesn't seem to. I thought with the recent webextensions support ublock origin might be available, but looks like it isn't :(

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
If you're using UBO, just turn off and back on again. The rules seems to get cached and YT is always loving around with things.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Chris Knight posted:

If you're using UBO, just turn off and back on again. The rules seems to get cached and YT is always loving around with things.

is there a version of UBO for big sur safari?

e: from the horse's mouth; doesn't look like it :(
https://www.reddit.com/r/uBlockOrigin/comments/hdz0bo/will_ublock_origin_back_to_macos_big_sur/

e: e: adguard seems to work better for youtube thankfully

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 13, 2021

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
So I have an Intel 16inch MacBook that sits closed and plugged into a USBC Dock with Ethernet etc on my desk at home.

While mobile I have a 11inch and 13inch MacBook that I take around with me when working remotely outside of my home LAN.

What are my options for accessing that 16inch from away from home?

I would prefer to use VNC since it's a native service on the machine.

Does it need to be 'awake' all the time while in the dock for this to happen? Do MacBooks have the capability to WOL when plugged into ethernet?

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 13, 2021

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Ziploc posted:

Does it need to be 'awake' all the time while in the dock for this to happen? Do MacBooks have the capability to WOL when plugged into ethernet?

Check Energy Saver settings. There should be a wake on LAN option.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Will a VNC connection wake it up?

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

TACD posted:

Don't know what you're using Docker for and hopefully this won't be relevant but trying to use the host's network on Docker for Mac fails silently. If you don't spot the single solitary line buried in the Docker documentation explaining this then you might spend days smashing your head against a wall trying to make it work, ask me how I know

Ask me how I know that docker silently forces a resolv.conf containing 8.8.8.8 into every container if you run it on a host that’s ipv6 only with no option to not do that

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Generic Monk posted:

is there a version of UBO for big sur safari?

e: from the horse's mouth; doesn't look like it :(
https://www.reddit.com/r/uBlockOrigin/comments/hdz0bo/will_ublock_origin_back_to_macos_big_sur/

e: e: adguard seems to work better for youtube thankfully
Balls, sorry, missed the Safari part. So used to folks saying it stopped working in Chome

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ziploc posted:

Will a VNC connection wake it up?
I think wake on LAN is it's own thing so just depends on the app implementing it. Or find some other app to send the WoL packet.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Generic Monk posted:

Is there an adblocker for safari that works to block youtube ads? 1blocker doesn't seem to. I thought with the recent webextensions support ublock origin might be available, but looks like it isn't :(

1blocker are claiming that they can’t without doing scripting/extensions stuff that they’re not willing to do, BUT recently have been saying that they’re optimistic something will change in the new version that will allow it again.

Initially they were saying there was nothing they could do, so that change is making me think they MIGHT be able to do something before long.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
AdGuard for Safari has been blocking youtube ads for me just fine. It's the only site I use it for, everythingn else is 1blocker.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Posted this in tech support but thought I'd post here too. New iMac with Apple processor out of box, Firefox ain't working right but everything else is. Anyone else seen this?

Problem description: Just bought a fancy new iMac to replace my aged Mac Mini. First app I installed was Firefox, and I noticed right away that things didn't look quite correct. Certain elements of web pages aren't displaying--most images show up, but things like toolbars and structural elements don't show up. Everything looks fine in Safari, so it's not a system-wide issue. I went into Firefox preferences to fool around, and some of the text isn't showing up properly. (Screencaps below.)

Gmail login shouldn't look like this:

Broken Amazon:

SA in Firefox:

SA in Safari (working properly):

Firefox Prefs screen. Text is visible when selected but not otherwise:

Attempted fixes: I turned off ad/tracker blocking in Firefox, made sure there were no weird accessibility settings turned on in MacOS. Google suggested I confirm there were no weird font settings in FF, and they're set at default. Of course cleared the FF cache. I deleted FF and reinstalled. The iMac shipped with BIg Sur 11.3 and I upgraded to 11.5.2 but the problem existed on both.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

soundflower Just Works in my experience.

It does, but anecdotally after upgrading to whatever os is current I had constant kernel panics, sometimes several in a row, and after uninstalling soundflower (which was a pain, involved disabling sip) it stopped. Could have been some other programs too, just something to keep in mind.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

The Macaroni posted:

Attempted fixes: I turned off ad/tracker blocking in Firefox, made sure there were no weird accessibility settings turned on in MacOS. Google suggested I confirm there were no weird font settings in FF, and they're set at default. Of course cleared the FF cache. I deleted FF and reinstalled. The iMac shipped with BIg Sur 11.3 and I upgraded to 11.5.2 but the problem existed on both.
Tried finding and wiping out everything FF in ~/Library? (Maybe the root Library too but not sure it puts stuff there). You already reinstalled so can't think of much else besides making sure it's completely cleared out. And uh, tried just restarting? Dumb but sometimes works for mystery stuff like this. Can't think of much else besides the possibility of something else you have going screwy with Firefox.

Puppy Galaxy posted:

It does, but anecdotally after upgrading to whatever os is current I had constant kernel panics, sometimes several in a row, and after uninstalling soundflower (which was a pain, involved disabling sip) it stopped. Could have been some other programs too, just something to keep in mind.
It works pretty low level last I recall, so it's something that can really gently caress poo poo up if something goes wrong.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I think that was the cause of the bizarre phenomenon, many years ago, when my Mac stopped outputting system sounds (like the error ting or email send/receive sounds), but then when I plugged headphones in after a few weeks of not doing so, it would play back all the missing sounds, in order.

Ping
Ping
Woosh
Woosh
Woosh
Ping
Ping
etc...

Very weird!

Violator
May 15, 2003

The Macaroni posted:

Can you hop into the macOS guest account and see if it’s still an issue? That may help isolate it to see if it’s something in your account and system-wide. It has helped me troubleshoot in the past.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009
Any recommendations for PDF viewers / editors that have a bit more oomf than Preview, but aren't overly bloated? I could do with some of the professional features of Acrobat, specifically flattening PDFs, outlining fonts, cropping / rotating pages, editing metadata and so on. Less interested in OCR or file conversion.

I know there are command lines tools that do it, but I just don't get on with Terminal.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

okay the keyboard situation is fixed for now, but I have a problem with my mouse. I have a Logitech G300s and I grew accustomed to using the two extra buttons on the left side for traveling forward and backward in web browsers. I don't see any option in system preferences to set the functionality of the extra mouse buttons, and the Logitech software for this mouse is not compatible with Big Sur. Not sure what kind of workaround exists, if any.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

HorseHeadBed posted:

Any recommendations for PDF viewers / editors that have a bit more oomf than Preview, but aren't overly bloated? I could do with some of the professional features of Acrobat, specifically flattening PDFs, outlining fonts, cropping / rotating pages, editing metadata and so on. Less interested in OCR or file conversion.

I know there are command lines tools that do it, but I just don't get on with Terminal.
I think you can do most of that with Preview, but assuming you already knew that the main ones that I can think of off the top of my head are PDF Expert and PDFPen, looks like they're both $80. I assume PDF Expert goes on sale and/or in some cheap app bundles cause I have it, so look for deals if you're interested. I assume PDFPen too, otherwise looks like it's on Setapp if you might be into that whole thing.

haunted bong posted:

okay the keyboard situation is fixed for now, but I have a problem with my mouse. I have a Logitech G300s and I grew accustomed to using the two extra buttons on the left side for traveling forward and backward in web browsers. I don't see any option in system preferences to set the functionality of the extra mouse buttons, and the Logitech software for this mouse is not compatible with Big Sur. Not sure what kind of workaround exists, if any.
BetterTouchTool (also in Setapp apparently) or other similar stuff out there, I think there's free stuff out there too but don't know them off the top of my head.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

japtor posted:

Tried finding and wiping out everything FF in ~/Library? (Maybe the root Library too but not sure it puts stuff there). You already reinstalled so can't think of much else besides making sure it's completely cleared out. And uh, tried just restarting? Dumb but sometimes works for mystery stuff like this. Can't think of much else besides the possibility of something else you have going screwy with Firefox.
Tried wiping out the folder in Library and also restarted. No dice. But:

Violator posted:

Can you hop into the macOS guest account and see if it’s still an issue? That may help isolate it to see if it’s something in your account and system-wide. It has helped me troubleshoot in the past.
This worked! It works fine in the guest account. So, uh, what the hell does this mean? If anything I would've expected it to break in guest and not my main account. Any notions on where to go next? And thanks, btw.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

The Macaroni posted:

This worked! It works fine in the guest account. So, uh, what the hell does this mean? If anything I would've expected it to break in guest and not my main account. Any notions on where to go next? And thanks, btw.
Guess it’s “the possibility of something else you have going screwy with Firefox” then. Could be something specific to Firefox or some other utility having a weird conflict for whatever reason. I wonder if safe mode (hold shift on boot) would show any difference for you, otherwise go through and disable whatever utilities you might have running to see if that narrows it down.

Alternatively, there might be an invisible Firefox folder with borked settings in your home somewhere, that type of stuff is usually in the root of your home. And look for other folders in ~/Library like Application Support and such (or just use search).

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

japtor posted:

Guess it’s “the possibility of something else you have going screwy with Firefox” then. Could be something specific to Firefox or some other utility having a weird conflict for whatever reason. I wonder if safe mode (hold shift on boot) would show any difference for you, otherwise go through and disable whatever utilities you might have running to see if that narrows it down.

Alternatively, there might be an invisible Firefox folder with borked settings in your home somewhere, that type of stuff is usually in the root of your home. And look for other folders in ~/Library like Application Support and such (or just use search).
I don't have any other utilities running--literally I took the iMac out of the box, booted it up, did the whole AppleID thing, and the first app I installed was Firefox. Only other things I installed are 1Password and PDFPen. Would it be worthwhile to nuke my user account and start from scratch? Haven't even copied my backup files on yet, so I won't lose anything.

Edit: Apple support suggested creating a new user account with admin access--I did that and it works fine in that account too. Maybe I should just delete the main one.

Edit 2: Seriously WTF, this is such an odd thing to show up on a new computer. All I can think of is that iCloud syncing up somehow dumped an old config file somewhere, but at least in theory iCloud shouldn't be syncing system folders.

Edit 3: Just moving over to the new account and shrugging on this one. Something must've hiccuped during the creation of the first home folder or something. Well, it's working now! Thanks again.

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 19, 2021

Violator
May 15, 2003

Dang that sounds like it was a pain in the rear end. At least it happened before you restored your files.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

*archiving old account* No highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

japtor posted:

I think you can do most of that with Preview, but assuming you already knew that the main ones that I can think of off the top of my head are PDF Expert and PDFPen, looks like they're both $80. I assume PDF Expert goes on sale and/or in some cheap app bundles cause I have it, so look for deals if you're interested. I assume PDFPen too, otherwise looks like it's on Setapp if you might be into that whole thing.

Thanks. I've probably seen bundles with either of those in before and although I can't find one now, I'm sure there will be one any minute.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Probably a better question for 15 years ago, but does anyone have recommendations for a program that can do mass tagging/renaming of audio files? Ideally free but wouldn't even mind paying a small amount for something that doesn't suck. I've been getting a lot of music as WAVs recently that are predictably completely untagged after converting to FLAC. Back in the day I would do this sort of thing with Foobar2000 + plugins (which I guess I could run via Wine?), but something Mac native would be nice.

Main features I need:

- Mass auto-tag via filename patterns
- Mass file renaming via tag based patterns
- FLAC support

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Mp3tag is pretty much perfect

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

musicbrainz picard is the other gold standard

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Nice, I'll try those 2 out

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Mercurius posted:

There may well be a significantly faster model coming out after they eventually refresh the high-end MacBook Pros to Apple Silicon but I'd also expect it to be significantly more expensive. You can probably expect an M2 refresh next year sometime if they continue to operate how they do with the iPhone/iPad but that's likely to just be the same core configuration but faster (and hopefully with an extra Thunderbolt controller to add support for more external displays but you can't tell sometimes with Apple).

This is what I'm waiting for. There were strong rumours a while back that an M1X Mac Mini would release after the now almost mythical 14/16" MBPs ("They're coming soon..Honest!!" 😲) release this coming quarter, but these rumours seem to have tailed off. I'll look at the Mac landscape early December and pull the pin on an upgrade then. I'm just of those people who would kick themselves if I jumped on an M1 system only to have the M1X release a month later.

binarysmurf fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 20, 2021

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

binarysmurf posted:

This is what I'm waiting for. There were strong rumours a while back that an M1X Mac Mini would release after the now almost mythical 14/16" MBPs ("They're coming soon..Honest!!" 😲) release this coming quarter, but these rumours seem to have tailed off. I'll look at the Mac landscape early and pull the pin on an upgrade then. I'm just of those people who would kick themselves if I jumped on an M1 system only to have the M1X release a month later.

I'm still mulling about the Mac Mini myself...have been waffling over gigabit ethernet vs 10-gig for a while now and 1TB vs 512GB (have 1TB in the MBA M1). The M1X/M2 would be much more expensive most likely and push out of my budget.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm still mulling about the Mac Mini myself...have been waffling over gigabit ethernet vs 10-gig for a while now and 1TB vs 512GB (have 1TB in the MBA M1). The M1X/M2 would be much more expensive most likely and push out of my budget.
Yeah it'd likely be the replacement for the higher end Intel model that's still around. Course the lower end ones could be updated too, even if just for the rumored redesign if there's no new lower end chip.

Some new rumor said they'll be 2022, probably the usual early/"Spring" window they tend to do stuff (and likely with the long rumored MBA redesign). If you can deal with your current hardware and really want the latest, keep that possible longer wait in mind. Alternatively find a lower end one on sale to hold you over for now then sell and do your real planned upgrade whenever that time comes.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

binarysmurf posted:

This is what I'm waiting for. There were strong rumours a while back that an M1X Mac Mini would release after the now almost mythical 14/16" MBPs ("They're coming soon..Honest!!" 😲) release this coming quarter, but these rumours seem to have tailed off. I'll look at the Mac landscape early December and pull the pin on an upgrade then. I'm just of those people who would kick themselves if I jumped on an M1 system only to have the M1X release a month later.
I rather suspect that Apple's just as affected by the semiconductor shortage as everyone else, they're just being more quiet about it.

I suspect that had they been able to release things when they wanted you'd have seen the Pro laptop refresh in June/July and we'd been looking at updates for the other Pro machines like the higher-specced Mac Mini and the 27"+ iMac in November. Now, we're looking at November (maybe) for the laptops and I'd sort of expect anywhere from April to June for the next round of updated hardware based on the delays in the rest of the industry.

At work our regular computers from all vendors are sitting at approximately 2 months minimum and if we try to order a Dell Precision tower with an Nvidia GPU in it we're currently looking at early January to give an idea of how much of a mess everything is.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

japtor posted:

Yeah it'd likely be the replacement for the higher end Intel model that's still around. Course the lower end ones could be updated too, even if just for the rumored redesign if there's no new lower end chip.

Some new rumor said they'll be 2022, probably the usual early/"Spring" window they tend to do stuff (and likely with the long rumored MBA redesign). If you can deal with your current hardware and really want the latest, keep that possible longer wait in mind. Alternatively find a lower end one on sale to hold you over for now then sell and do your real planned upgrade whenever that time comes.

Thing is, I'm super not comfortable with the MBA being used in clamshell 24/7 and would like a fan so probably will snag the M1 Mini and sell it later for M1X/M2 or whatever if I need it.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Is there an application that *just* disables all mouse acceleration for a given device, and nothing else? I always use steermouse for this but it seems to conflict with the logitech drivers and causes scrolling to freak out (logitech implement a smooth scrolling thing and I think tune the sensitivity per-app, which is probably added onto whatever steermouse is doing to the sensitivity). I'll suffer through the standard OSX mouse acceleration if I have to but it is absolutely horrible

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Are the Mac mini Bluetooth issues that bad?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Are the Mac mini Bluetooth issues that bad?
Dunno about the new ones, but my 2017 model was atrocious. Routinely failed to connect to Bluetooth devices, or dropped connection. And Airplay was just like "No recipients detected, what are you playing at?"

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The Macaroni posted:

Dunno about the new ones, but my 2017 model was atrocious. Routinely failed to connect to Bluetooth devices, or dropped connection. And Airplay was just like "No recipients detected, what are you playing at?"

macOS and Mac Software: No recipients detected, what are you AirPlaying at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Macaroni posted:

Apparently these carry over to the M1 Mac Mini but somehow worse...seeing as the only place I could put the Mac Mini is up on a shelf due to issues with space, I might just go for a 256GB iMac and move stuff around so my 4K external is up on the shelf to use for YouTube or other videos.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 20, 2021