Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mister Facetious posted:

Except how is the mic going to know what material type of pan you're using, it's size, the thickness, whether you used any oil or not, the thickness of the meat/vegetables, the mic's distance to the subject in question, etc.

Wow, a lot of negative energy in this post… The challenge has been set by a blue sky thinker, and all you can do is point out details and facts that would make it unfeasible in a real world situation? You’re fired!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I'll sell you an NFT of all the steaks I've eaten in the past 5000 days for US$69 million.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Scientastic posted:

Wow, a lot of negative energy in this post… The challenge has been set by a blue sky thinker, and all you can do is point out details and facts that would make it unfeasible in a real world situation? You’re fired!

I'm just ahead of my time as an innovation disruptor. :v:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

signalnoise posted:

How bout a service that sells you steaks that are already cooked to your preferred doneness, flash frozen so all you have to do is defrost them, microwave them, and blame yourself

“Microwave steaks” is a particularly unappetising phrase.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

therattle posted:

“Microwave steaks” is a particularly unappetising phrase.

Look at this bougie jerk who thinks he's too good for SteakUmms.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Look at this bougie jerk who thinks he's too good for SteakUmms.

Somehow the idea of microwaved steakumms is even worse to me, and I like steakumms. I just can't see myself ever microwaving them instead of browning the hell out of them

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

A microwaved steakum might as well be those beige paper towels from a public bathroom

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I didn't know I was posting in the Hamptons with all these fancy "I cook my SteakUmms in the pan" people. I bet you all boil hotdogs, too, instead of just eating them cold from the package.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Fry hotdogs!

As a kid, I always wanted those ones with a vein of Cheese Food Product down the center, but my mom just slit the side of the weiner and put a thin strip if cheese in them.

Then again, she also conned us into drinking molasses milk instead of chocolate milk. (It's high in iron!) I tried again as an adult, and it's not horrible... But certainly not chocolate milk equal.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Arkhamina posted:

Fry hotdogs!

As a kid, I always wanted those ones with a vein of Cheese Food Product down the center, but my mom just slit the side of the weiner and put a thin strip if cheese in them.

Then again, she also conned us into drinking molasses milk instead of chocolate milk. (It's high in iron!) I tried again as an adult, and it's not horrible... But certainly not chocolate milk equal.

Holy poo poo, I thought my Mema was the only one that pulled the molasses milk con. I made a glass of the stuff in front of one of my friends in elementary school and I still feel the hot shame of her horrified stare. It didn't help that I was making it with full fat raw milk, butterfat chunks and all. She did finally try some and said it tasted like chocolate milk made with pennies and dirt.

I still drink it and sometimes I make it with buttermilk instead.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fizzymercury posted:

Holy poo poo, I thought my Mema was the only one that pulled the molasses milk con. I made a glass of the stuff in front of one of my friends in elementary school and I still feel the hot shame of her horrified stare. It didn't help that I was making it with full fat raw milk, butterfat chunks and all. She did finally try some and said it tasted like chocolate milk made with pennies and dirt.

I still drink it and sometimes I make it with buttermilk instead.

I've never had molasses milk but I'm gonna try it. My grandpa used to make me maple milk and holy poo poo I loved that, but who can afford that these days.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

fizzymercury posted:

like chocolate milk made with pennies and dirt.

New thread title, please.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I didn't know I was posting in the Hamptons with all these fancy "I cook my SteakUmms in the pan" people. I bet you all boil hotdogs, too, instead of just eating them cold from the package.

I microwave them and I am not ashamed, but cold from the motherfucking package, holy poo poo. Gonna haunt my fuckin dreams

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I've eaten more than a few "ambient temperature after being shoved into a backpack and hiked with for 10 miles on a humid July day" hot dogs in my face. Once you get past the hot dog sweat it's not so bad.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I've been putting ginger in goddamn everything recently and it's like a cheat code for goodness

Earlier I made some simple cold soba noodles and tossed them with ginger juice, sesame oil, and soy sauce. A little wasabi. So good

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Brawnfire posted:

I've been putting ginger in goddamn everything recently and it's like a cheat code for goodness

Earlier I made some simple cold soba noodles and tossed them with ginger juice, sesame oil, and soy sauce. A little wasabi. So good

Soba are the buckwheat ones, right? I might have to remember that one.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

This is making me want to stir fry minced pickled ginger with some roughly chopped kimchi, mix that into rice, and just eat that with a fried egg and a drizzle of kecap manis. Optional boneless fried chicken thigh if I have it. I need to remind myself to do this. Basically just combining all the stuff that works on a ridiculous amount of stuff and I bet it's easy as hell and fuckin good. I wouldn't doubt I just rattled off a traditional thing that someone could name

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Casu Marzu posted:

Once you get past the hot dog sweat it's not so bad.

Also a strong thread title contender.

Brawnfire posted:

Hell yeah. Ginger is amazing. I got lazy and recently started buying the jars of pre-grated stuff. It’s good for a lot of cooking purposes (curries etc) but slightly vinegary so not good for everything. Otherwise I grate it in my micro plane, which make an excellent purée.

I also love a really gingery loaf cake. And honey, lemon and ginger tea. And chai with a good ginger kick. And ginger beer (and the beer a local brewery does which is beer with a load of ginger added - so drat good).

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Ginger is by far my favourite ingredient, right up there with peppercorns.
I buy a loose leaf lemongrass and ginger tisane/tea and drink litres of it. It’s good hot in the winter and cold in the summer.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Ginger's also an attractive plant that's dead simple to grow. You can theoretically do it in containers for continuous harvest (just snap off a hunk whenever you need it), but the rhizomes grow slowly enough that you'd have to devote a shitload of yard space to keep yourself supplied if you go through ginger the way I do. Kinda nice as a fuckaround gardening project, though.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I didn't have cooked rice ready so I used a pack of instant ramen noodles to make a breakfast of fried egg, noodle, pickled ginger, and kimchi with kecap manis and holy poo poo the flavor is exactly what I wanted

I need to do this again but with rice and cook the egg less

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 17, 2021

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

SubG posted:

Ginger's also an attractive plant that's dead simple to grow. You can theoretically do it in containers for continuous harvest (just snap off a hunk whenever you need it), but the rhizomes grow slowly enough that you'd have to devote a shitload of yard space to keep yourself supplied if you go through ginger the way I do. Kinda nice as a fuckaround gardening project, though.

I would love to grow some ginger, I'm in 6a so I'd have to bring my plants in during winter though. Also how fun is Zingiber to say?

I actually had no idea you could straight-up juice the stuff until recently, that's been a game changer in how I use it. I've just been throwing the juice everywhere. Marinades, baked goods, steaming liquid, dressings, it literally has not been out of place yet.

Mister Facetious posted:

Soba are the buckwheat ones, right? I might have to remember that one.

Hell yeah. I love chilled soba or udon with only minimal seasonings. It somehow hits the spot in ways no ornate dish possibly can. Somewhat like a bowl of hot steamed rice with good vinegar in that way.

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 17, 2021

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Helith posted:

Ginger is by far my favourite ingredient, right up there with peppercorns.
I buy a loose leaf lemongrass and ginger tisane/tea and drink litres of it. It’s good hot in the winter and cold in the summer.

Oh, that sounds delicious. I love lemongrass too. I bought a ginger syrup a while ago that was really good, but when I thought about it it was quite pricey, so I just made my own. Dead simple, really good, much cheaper.

I am on holiday and there is a nice barbecue here. My wife is vegetarian so I don't think of barbecuing much in London (and don't have a BBQ) but it feels different here. I did some Beyond burgers the other day (and grilled some young onions alongside, which were DELICIOUS); tonight we tried Beyond sausages for the first time. I haven't had a meat sausage for a long time but these were very, very good. Really meaty, delicious flavour, good texture, nice spicing. We were really happy with them. I also did something I remember from my many childhood barbecues (braais, really), which is onions. We ran out of foil so I just did them in the skins, a bit like one would do potatoes. They were the exact melting sweet flavour and texture I remembered from probably 25 years ago when I last had them,. it took me right back. I am now awaiting the inevitable and distinctively-flavoured farts that will inevitably result.

I am also enjoying building the fire. I did wood the other day and got charcoal today. I sometimes smell BBQs in London and the dominant smell is firelighters, which I never use. The taste and smell lingers and taints the food in a really noticeable and unpleasant way.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

therattle posted:

My wife is vegetarian so I don't think of barbecuing much in London (and don't have a BBQ) but it feels different here.

This made me a bit sad. I live in London/Surrey (depending on who you talk to), and we barbecue all the time in summer: no firefighters, only tinder and twigs that I get the kids to gather.

There are so many good things to do on a barbecue that aren’t meat, you should barbecue more, it’s great. Last time we barbecued, we had courgettes, sweet potato, mushrooms, peppers, corn, halloumi, asparagus, salmon and prawns, as well as some sausages, steak and chicken. There are loads of options, and experimenting with vegetables on the barbecue is fun.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Is firelighters the lighting fluid or something else? I swear people around here will cook exclusively using that as a fuel, it's disgusting. Smells for blocks. Get a drat chimney starter and a small scrap of paper drat it

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Brawnfire posted:

Is firelighters the lighting fluid or something else? I swear people around here will cook exclusively using that as a fuel, it's disgusting. Smells for blocks. Get a drat chimney starter and a small scrap of paper drat it

Fluid or little bricks of fire lighter. Yes, it’s disgusting and makes the food taste of it. Growing up we had a chimney starter. They’re brilliant.

Scientastic posted:

This made me a bit sad. I live in London/Surrey (depending on who you talk to), and we barbecue all the time in summer: no firefighters, only tinder and twigs that I get the kids to gather.

There are so many good things to do on a barbecue that aren’t meat, you should barbecue more, it’s great. Last time we barbecued, we had courgettes, sweet potato, mushrooms, peppers, corn, halloumi, asparagus, salmon and prawns, as well as some sausages, steak and chicken. There are loads of options, and experimenting with vegetables on the barbecue is fun.

Yeah, I should probably do it more. Just this trip I’ve done veg burgers and sausages, cabbage (it needed eating),onions and potatoes , and we also plan to char some feta to eat with watermelon and mint.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I really love whole grilled onions like that. One of my favorite foods period.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

therattle posted:

Yeah, I should probably do it more. Just this trip I’ve done … cabbage

I am intrigued, what do you do with cabbage on a barbecue?

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021

therattle posted:

Fluid or little bricks of fire lighter. Yes, it’s disgusting and makes the food taste of it. Growing up we had a chimney starter. They’re brilliant.

Yeah, I should probably do it more. Just this trip I’ve done veg burgers and sausages, cabbage (it needed eating),onions and potatoes , and we also plan to char some feta to eat with watermelon and mint.
Skip the feta, grill the watermelon. It gets all chewy and smoky and caramelized.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mintymenman posted:

Skip the feta, grill the watermelon. It gets all chewy and smoky and caramelized.

I might try that, thanks!

Scientastic posted:

I am intrigued, what do you do with cabbage on a barbecue?

Cut into slices keeping the core intact so the leaves don’t fall apart, brush with oil, grill. Not bad. It’s not the best use of cabbage but I had a half growing tired in the fridge and thought I’d experiment. I burned most of it as the direct heat from the coals was too strong.

I really want to try grill some cauliflower steaks on the bbq.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

therattle posted:

Cut into slices keeping the core intact so the leaves don’t fall apart, brush with oil, grill. Not bad. It’s not the best use of cabbage but I had a half growing tired in the fridge and thought I’d experiment. I burned most of it as the direct heat from the coals was too strong.

I made a grilled Caesar salad once where I charred the romaine before making the salad. It was OK, but this cabbage sounds like it would be absolutely great in a slaw

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Pointed cabbages, halved or in quarters, are very convenient for grilling.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We make a breakfast "salad" sometimes by grilling halves or quarters of Romaine until charred, then topping them with a poached egg, caesar dressing, parmesan, etc.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I wonder if you could make some kind of cabbage roll by wrapping raw, separated leaves around some filling then grilling that.

I tried it on a pan before and it was interesting. What I want is some charred cabbage leaf, maybe cook it a little, and eat it like a taco kind of thing. A flat pan is not really ideal for getting a good char like that without cooking things too much.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Eeyo posted:

I wonder if you could make some kind of cabbage roll by wrapping raw, separated leaves around some filling then grilling that.

I tried it on a pan before and it was interesting. What I want is some charred cabbage leaf, maybe cook it a little, and eat it like a taco kind of thing. A flat pan is not really ideal for getting a good char like that without cooking things too much.
I do that all the time with a whole head of cabbage.

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/barbecued-cabbage-with-santa-fe-seasonings

That's the starting point I use but you can stuff it with pretty much any meat filling and it's nice. My favorite is traditional golabki filling with a sauce made from grilled onions and tomatoes on top.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Eeyo posted:

There is a dish in the (old world/last generation) Eastern European Jewish world called chaluptches which is cabbage leaves stuffed with some kind of meatloaf-adjacent mix and braised in a tomato-y sauce.

Also apparently called holishkes? There are way more search results for that name than the other.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mintymenman posted:

So we grilled the feta and watermelon. The fire wasn't quite hot enough but it was DELICIOUS nonetheless. I dressed it before cooking with sugar, salt and lime zest, then served it with the grilled feta and mint.

My wife and I both came to the conclusion (independently) that we need to buy a barbecue. I am used to Weber - am I missing anything?

We also did corn (v good, as expected), and I have bought a cauliflower. I think this is going to end up like the GWS.txt article by the guy who bought a deep fryer.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Buy the closest thing you can to half an oil drum on legs

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Oh. Man - there was a dish an ex's mom (born in Poland, Jewish) used to make with red cabbage, and a rice/meat mix, with a tart (vinegar?) Tomato sauce. I was only like 20 then and just starting to cook so I have no idea what made the sauce so amazing, but it was tangy and different from any other sauce I had had before.

She was great, unabashedly trying to fatten me up because she though I was too skinny to breed well. (I had it dated her son like... 3 months). Every dinner had soup from scratch, and she would pour heavy cream on top until it was surface tension full. She kept saying she thought I might be Jewish but not know it because I loved all her food. (No, you're just a great cook!). One of a few times where I wished I could dump the boy but keep the mommy :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Arkhamina posted:

Oh. Man - there was a dish an ex's mom (born in Poland, Jewish) used to make with red cabbage, and a rice/meat mix, with a tart (vinegar?) Tomato sauce. I was only like 20 then and just starting to cook so I have no idea what made the sauce so amazing, but it was tangy and different from any other sauce I had had before.
You're describing gołąbkis, if you want to look up recipes to try to chase the version you remember. They're a quintessentially Polish dish so pretty much any source for Polish recipes will have a recipe for gołąbkis, but they're one of those things where everybody's matka/babcia has their own special version. Or at least it was that way in mid-20th Century communities of Polish immigrants in the US.