Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I will say when I beat Grimm I did not use Shape of Unn. So maybe I can be proud of that. You'll get 'em eventually.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

This does make me feel better about never having been able to beat NKG myself.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Ouch, that was painful. You were super close. At least 75% there. Pufferfish phase happens on each 25%, right?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

drat you mustve been so close on that one attempt. His third puffer fish is 25% and you beat on him for a while afterwards too.

I don't think shape of unn is necessary if you want those two extra charm notches for more damage or soul gain. You can swap your healing window to when he's doing the flame pillars instead - if you dodge the last one and heal straight away you've got the same window as during the flame bats attack. You can usually get some damage on him beforehand too, and then also use the flame bats attack to damage him.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Take it from a coward who used Shape of Unn for all the late game bosses during his first playthrough: You were right when you said that healing is a crutch.

With NKG and several other bosses it's easier to simply not get hit and to do more damage, because a lot of the time trying to find windows to heal just means you get hit and are thus wasting Soul + Charm slots on said healing.

It's good that you're having fun though! I didn't enjoy my time with NKG half as much as you are doing. Judging by the number of pufferfish attacks and times he was staggered you were like 2-3 hits from beating him that one time, so you'll get him soon.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Yeah it took me way longer to learn the fight by simply not getting hit but it really is the way to go on him specifically. I think the other top-tier bosses in the game have similar lacks of windows to heal, but none feel as oppressive or easily attainable as Grimm here. You'll probably feel the whole "why is everything so slow now" feeling when you start fighting older bosses in Godhome after having defeated NKG.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Quit jumping during the uppercut attack! Lordy.

If you had a nail extension charm, you can parry Grimm's initial swipe in that attack to block it, but the timing's going to be really tough with the normal nail range.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

Games that have filled (or partially filled) the Hollow Knight shaped hole in my heart, in order from most to least:

Ender Lillies: Quietus of the Knights
Ori and the Will of the Wisps (specifically Ori 2, not Blind Forest)
Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (filled the hole well, but ended quickly)
Blasphemous

Yeah I'm deffo going to check out Ender Lillies I've seen it come up in multiple threads now.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

There we go, I'm all caught up now!

And for the last several episodes I've been wondering if Tea is ever going to tell Nat to at least go talk to Brumm in Deepnest since he completely missed spotting that flame on the map and now it's no longer there so he's never gonna find it otherwise.

I never beat NKG legitimately myself. That, along with the later parts of Godhome (starting with the final boss of the third pantheon), was something I concluded was very much for people who enjoy the combat in Hollow Knight more than I do.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

GimmickMan posted:

Take it from a coward who used Shape of Unn for all the late game bosses during his first playthrough: You were right when you said that healing is a crutch.

With NKG and several other bosses it's easier to simply not get hit and to do more damage, because a lot of the time trying to find windows to heal just means you get hit and are thus wasting Soul + Charm slots on said healing.

It's good that you're having fun though! I didn't enjoy my time with NKG half as much as you are doing. Judging by the number of pufferfish attacks and times he was staggered you were like 2-3 hits from beating him that one time, so you'll get him soon.

Joni's Blessing is probably my favorite charm in the game for this reason. It was always what I put on when I had a hard time with a new boss.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Ah you read my post about not jumping, thank you!

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Solitair posted:

Joni's Blessing is probably my favorite charm in the game for this reason. It was always what I put on when I had a hard time with a new boss.

Yeah I tend to use at least one of Joni's Blessing/Quick Focus/Shape of Unn as essentially training wheels for a boss fight to give me more time to learn their patterns and figure out how they work. Once I've got that down I can change to focus on dealing damage.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Kinda funny that the other way to complete that DLC gives you a far better reward in a charm notch and a marginally better charm replacement for grimmchild. Good job nonetheless!

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

shirunei posted:

Kinda funny that the other way to complete that DLC gives you a far better reward in a charm notch and a marginally better charm replacement for grimmchild. Good job nonetheless!

While what you said is absolutely true, Nat20 got the best reward of making NKG his bitch.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011
Well I guess there's a reason the charm from the elder grub has the word "Elegy" in the name...

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Ghost Stromboli posted:

Well I guess there's a reason the charm from the elder grub has the word "Elegy" in the name...

When I saw this in my own playthrough I had pretty much the exact same reaction as Nat: MURDER

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

It's the return of Bat-Friend! :buddy:

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

shirunei posted:

The notch you get for beating regular Grimm which you have to do anyway. But yes, banishing feels like the correct choice since Carefree Melody is probably the better charm and you can fight NKG as much as you want in Godhome, and there you're not forced to have Grimmchild equipped either.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Black Robe posted:

It's the return of Bat-Friend! :buddy:

A single pet should be notch free in this game.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I love Grimmchild's design but I hate the noises it makes.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I have an abiding love of the White Defender fight, just because, like... in the power of his moves, and the grandeur of the music, you see just a glimpse— just a tiny, reflected glimpse— of what Hallownest must have been like at the height of its glory.

It's beautiful, and kind of haunting, too.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Carefree Melody is kind of a silly charm, I never used it myself since it seemed a bit expensive for its effect. I was watching someone streaming do the Radiant bosses in Godhome, which are OHKO fights, and he had Carefree Melody on which I thought, uh, kinda defeated the purpose of the challenge, cause then it's up to RNG whether you win or lose the fight. But, to each their own.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Alxprit posted:

Carefree Melody is kind of a silly charm, I never used it myself since it seemed a bit expensive for its effect. I was watching someone streaming do the Radiant bosses in Godhome, which are OHKO fights, and he had Carefree Melody on which I thought, uh, kinda defeated the purpose of the challenge, cause then it's up to RNG whether you win or lose the fight. But, to each their own.

Apparently the big secret is that the chance doesn't reset when you die, only when you get hit. And when it does reset, it resets to 0%, so the next hit will hit.

Basically, there's a chance of getting one extra hit in a fight. Which is big in a mode where every hit kills you.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Also because it's OHKO, you can overcharm.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Banishing the Troupe gets you Brumm playing the accordion in Dirmouth. Forever. Poor Elderbug never gets his peace and quiet. I think it's clear what the morally correct choice here is.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So while Nat never found the dialogue (and it's gone now) the Grimmchild will eventually become Grimm and repeat the ritual somewhere else.

But in pretty every ending of Hollow Knight, this cycle is going to get disrupted. Either the Knight gets sealed away in the Black Egg along with the Grimmchild, or he becomes one with the Void, and presumably along with everything he was carrying

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

The message I took away from the ending initially was that this game was saying that Dark is Good and Light is Bad, which is a fun situation to be in for once.

Radiance is a stopping block for a lot of people, but not really for me. The fight took me I think three tries only? It's not that long or complicated, which helps, the only real problem is the double damage from most things. An overwhelming offense helps as there aren't many opportunities to heal. Looking forward to the nice episode next.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Alxprit posted:

The message I took away from the ending initially was that this game was saying that Dark is Good and Light is Bad, which is a fun situation to be in for once.

They are, after all, bugs.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

My biggest problem with NKG is that his splash screen desensitizes you to the effect of splash screens in Hollow Knight. When you fight him over and over, THE RADIANCE had much less impact.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

pun pundit posted:

My biggest problem with NKG is that his splash screen desensitizes you to the effect of splash screens in Hollow Knight. When you fight him over and over, THE RADIANCE had much less impact.

He was preparing you without looking like it. What a wily fellow!

Quackles fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 21, 2021

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Ooh yes now that this episode has gone live I can finally open the loreposting floodgates! :dance:

I've been sitting on this post for a while cause soon after writing up my last big spoiler effort post, I had a good sleep then finally beat the Radiance right away on my next try. Then while I was on such a roll, I had a go at Zote and barely pulled through after a few tries. So I got to see the 2400 essence thing too!

I figured that was the point I'd be ok with finally hitting the wikis to see all the things I'd missed. But before I got all caught up in absorbing the internet hivemind's observations, I wanted to properly write up some of my overall game thoughts, along with my own best wacko theories.

When I talked to the White Lady some more, she mentioned her bindings being her own decision. And that she felt a strong urge to breed and reproduce. Her bindings obviously resemble the ones all the beings in Godhome wear. So this seems to be implying a widely accepted cultural thing for "higher beings" that, literally or symbolically or both, shows their wish to focus on higher thoughts than just base survival and reproduction.

That state of base survival, or the lack of higher sentience, is associated with darkness. Many bugs show this more natural state of being when you dream nail them, having only default messages of simple things like "kill... hurt", "eat when", or most crucially: "dark... safe", "light... danger". (great segue there from Tenebrais a few posts up) Staying concealed in the dark is a crucial survival skill for bugs, but it also provides symbolic emphasis on how the "light" and sentience of these higher beings is something unnatural to bugs.

But portraying bugs as mindless and unthinking isn't totally right either. All through the game, I was thinking about ants and bees (or the Zero Escape favourite, termites). And how, despite not thinking in the way we humans think, bugs can have their own proper civilizations. This contrast is best shown in the failed tramway. The Deepnest exemplifies a natural bug civilization that rejects the unnatural impositions of outside divine intelligence. Bugs in their natural state can still create amazingly complex structures, or in cases like ants, even exhibit farming or toolmaking behaviours. But a fully mechanical vehicle, or something as complex as a machine that plays recorded music? Those are products of a much more human style of intelligence.

So even if we cast the Radiance as a great evil, bringing its light to the bugs to forcibly enslave their will, and cast the King as an opposing hero, bringing his light to bugs so they can gain their own individual sentience... there is still an uneasiness there, suggesting that the civilization of Hallownest itself, and the worship of its King, may not necessarily be an inherent good. This is where I started thinking more about the Hunter.

The Hunter shows strong individualist sentience while still reveling in the natural world of "kill or be killed", and showing great disdain for how weak and coddled bugs became as they were 'civilized' by Hallownest. When we meet the most truly devout worshippers of the King though, the Hunter doesn't have quite the same level of vitriol as he does for the rich bugs. He simply likens them to eyes or claws, beings that, no longer having any will of their own, become mere extensions of the King's own body. In their case this is presumably by choice, but even so, things are starting to sound a little bit more similar to the Radiance.

Another particular quote from the Hunter was very evocative to me here. Describing one of the Soul Sanctum gang, he said something about how the bugs of Hallownest tried all kinds of tricks to get rid of the infection... but maybe it was something deep inside themselves, that they could not escape.

So all that gave me the inspiration for my "Fight Club poo poo" theory: What if that idea applied to the king?

The King himself is a pretty small figure compared to that giant freaking cast-off shell we got to explore. Even if the wyrm's death leads to a change to a new form, that's a pretty huge change! And the King is also described as very elusive... So I wondered if the King we briefly see could have actually been more of an avatar for the bugs to interact with on their scale, while the King's true form was something far greater. (actually I still think this bit could be possible, even if the next part is way off)

Since the Radiance with its outstretched wings resembles the main Hallownest seal, I briefly wondered if it was the actual full godly form of the King. The King's devoted followers in the Palace think things like "The King... for us..." which prolly just refers to all the horrible lengths the King was going to for the sake of the kingdom in general, but what if the King was also making some sacrifice of his own? And trying to restrain and bind himself for the sake of Hallownest? This finally brings me back to the White Lady's comments about her bindings and her having such a strong urge to reproduce and propogate herself. What if the King was also fighting something "deep within himself" - the urge to just dominate the lower beings' wills as a god, instead of allowing them their own individual thoughts?

Now of course, referring to this being as blazing "kin" already implies it is a separate being even if they were directly related. And with the Seer mentioning the conflict between worship of Radiance and worship of the King, even before my wiki dive it was pretty explicitly clear that this theory can't be right. "Fight Club poo poo" can get really gimmicky anyway, so it's probably good that it's not the case. But I really had fun being able to just entertain theories like this while I was piecing the bits of worldbuilding together. Here's the next one!

One other totally wrong guess I had, which was also inspired by me being all hung up on that Hallownest Seal, is that maybe the Radiance was worshipped right alongside the King in Hallownest, until things went wrong. The King is building on what came before, right? Maybe he's also trying to work with the other higher beings that are already there as he embarks on this whole idea. But Unn and even the root lady didn't get to be on the crest. What if it's a bigger collaboration than that? What if the "Monarch" wings that also resembled the Radiance meant the Radiance was another full-on Monarch? It's a butterfly pun rather than a moth pun, but close enough, hey? What if the Radiance... was the Queen?!

Now okay, the White Lady sitting there in the Queen's Gardens seems at first glance like she's supposed to be the Queen. But I could've sworn I'd heard people talk about the Queen also being gone or dead just like the King, or how she used to hang out in the Gardens. Marmu I particularly remember talking about the Queen coming back, when mate, she's still right there and doesn't seem like she's going away anytime soon! In fact, speaking of not moving around much, Marmu also talks about the Queen teaching him to fly. That sounds more like something you'd expect a moth to do than a root lady! So maybe the White Lady was a more recent partner, and that "union of higher beings" only happened after the fallout with the Radiance..... or it could have helped prompt the falling out with the Radiance. This theory I actually still thought had legs for a while, before I did my wiki dive and found a bunch more obscure evidence hidden away that rubs in how the White Lady was definitely the Queen. But yeah, it was fun as hell to try and figure it all out myself in the meantime.

The thing that confused me most in the game, both before and after the wiki dive, is the Lifeblood place in the Abyss. I can get the Lifeblood being its totally own thing, a weird different type of alternate higher being that's out there with no relation to the others. But why is there that parallel between the veins of the infection resembling the veins of lifeblood? Also the lightseeds and lifeseeds? That part nags at my brain a lot, wanting to force some kind of connection. But I think I'll give it a rest for now and just let everything sink in, and wait for Nat to stream more Godhome stuff.

I really love this game a lot, y'all

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

That, I must say, was dope.

Out of curiosity, are we shooting for the Delicate Flower Godhome ending?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

"An emptiness that was once hidden, now unconstrained.

Unites the void under the bearer's will."

The description of the Void Heart.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Holy poo poo. I know I've done at least one whispering root that Nat hasn't, but I've never seen that one in Forgotten Crossroad :psyduck:

It's too bad Nat didn't go see Dung Defender earlier in the game, because he's actually a talking NPC. He only goes to sleep after I think you do all three Dreamers.

I just love the whole atmosphere of the Radiance fight, especially the final sequence of Radiance desperately trying to escape you and the void.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
:psyduck: :psyduck: Radiance in first try??? :psyduck: :psyduck:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I'm really curious how far Nat'll get in Godhome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I honestly think Nat is good enough to do the full Godhome, it's just a question of whether he has the patience.