Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Der Meister posted:

if it is released and subsequently demonstrates very high rates of something bad it would be catastrophic.

I wonder if the second shot of Moderna gives kids a whole lotta side effects like it does for adults

Not even heart damage-level side effects, but fevers/headaches/etc.

Imagine having a vax clinic at an elementary school, and all of a sudden the kids start passing out and screaming they have headaches.

IIRC the dosing for kids was going to be far less than the adult dosing, so maybe that won't happen. But then who knows if a 1/10 dose would be as effective?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Der Meister posted:

if it is released and subsequently demonstrates very high rates of something bad it would be catastrophic.

how does anything change if it's held back and then shows the same catastrophic results?

Lenin Stimpy
Sep 9, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

If people want ethically justified things to occur in this world, then we need to end democracy. There is no way countries with resources are going to humanitarianly give those resources away to other countries when they need those resources. It's why reparations will never happen in a democratic society, it's why truly open borders will never happen in a democratic society, and it's why people would never consider giving vaccines to other countries until there's no longer a shortage of supply, without some underlying selfish reason to do any of those things.

It's America First babey, and no matter how much liberals will try to deny it, all humans believe it to our very core. It's even more basic than country first really, it's: Me First. gently caress You Got Mine

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

mod sassinator posted:

how does anything change if it's held back and then shows the same catastrophic results?

it’s held back for more data, data shows badness, it is approved with black box or not approved???

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

U-DO Burger posted:

are you doing home schooling yourself, or is it virtual learning?

It’s a legit, established remote school program run by the state, but a <12 can’t be expected to focus on schoolwork all day, so it’s just one (or both!) of us ignoring our jobs to drag the kid through schoolwork for eight hours.

Then we get to fight in the evenings, which is a nice break.

Don’t update the xslx just yet; we survived this last year with even less effort from the kid. And at least our O2 sats are going to remain above 95%.

kopasetic
Sep 18, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

…fewer children would have developed those bad things?

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Lawlicaust posted:

30 day mask mandate for Hillsborough County schools. Requires a doctor’s note to opt out now.

Lol, 30 days.

i watched some of the meeting and it was painful. there was lots of concern trolling from the board about "how will poor kids that can't afford healthcare be able to make it to the doctor to get a note to not wear a mask?". i dont loving care, let the anti mask psychos figure it out. what medical conditions would prevent you from wearing a mask? is that even a thing?? multiple people expressed concerns over this mysterious group of people. it has to just be to please the anti maskers right? yeah, i have medical condition that prevents me from wearing a mask.. wink wink

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pillowpants posted:

Motherfucking....

KId who came to my sons birthday party has a loving fever (The party i did not want to have but was overrulled)

Look on the bright side. Now you have carte blanche to overrule anything you want forever, and if you get any pushback you can just say "remember that time you got our kid sick? Overruled!"

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Der Meister posted:

it’s held back for more data, data shows badness, it is approved with black box or not approved???

the AAP and pediatricians are saying there is enough data to grant an EUA decision right now. it's not a black box decision. the FDA is quibbling over 4 more months of data so they can speed up the full approval. however delta isn't going to wait 4 months, especially as governors across the country are throwing kids unmasked into the plague pits now

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

kopasetic posted:

…fewer children would have developed those bad things?

many children are about to develop a very, very bad thing with delta

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

mod sassinator posted:

the AAP and pediatricians are saying there is enough data to grant an EUA decision right now. it's not a black box decision. the FDA is quibbling over 4 more months of data so they can speed up the full approval. however delta isn't going to wait 4 months, especially as governors across the country are throwing kids unmasked into the plague pits now

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the Great Barrington Declaration signatories on the panel approving the pediatric vaccines

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Is it a case of we literally don't understand how the mRNA vaccine works enough to say what exact effects it might have on kids, or is it just that safety dictates that we test it a bunch to confirm the science that says it's safe?

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bathtub Cheese posted:

Great Barrington Declaration

I was not aware this was a thing

...my god

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

mod sassinator posted:

if they don’t have access to the actual data how can they say there’s enough data

they may be able to infer the vaccine’s effectiveness based on the 12+ crowd but the side effect profile may be different and changes the math

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Is it a case of we literally don't understand how the mRNA vaccine works enough to say what exact effects it might have on kids, or is it just that safety dictates that we test it a bunch to confirm the science that says it's safe?

Neither. People are too afraid of being sued or public criticism affecting stock prices.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

McNugget Buddy posted:

I was not aware this was a thing

...my god

yeah all the denialism is one big grift

right wing astroturf like the Hoover Institute, who sponsored that, and alternative medicine scams have driven all the antivaxx and antimask stuff the entire time

Bathtub Cheese fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 18, 2021

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

lol at all the goons trying to lie about being immunocompromised and getting turned away when all they had to lie about was being there for their first dose

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Bathtub Cheese posted:

yeah all the denialism one big grift

right wing astroturf like the Hoover Institute, who sponsored that, and alternative medicine scams has driven all the antivaxx and antimask stuff the entire time

Stanford was a mistake.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Cases almost doubled in Melbourne overnight... Shiiiieeet

https://twitter.com/VicGovDH/status/1428125009021575171?s=19

Most in iso at least.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

Lacrosse posted:

lol at all the goons trying to lie about being immunocompromised and getting turned away when all they had to lie about was being there for their first dose

i got my appointment marking "i don't know" on the self attestation for being immunocompromised. i got to the pharmacy and no one asked any questions, despite giving them my insurance and legit vaccine card. 3rd dose of moderna definitely made me sick whereas the first 2 didn't, though, so maybe i am??

Loucks
May 21, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Cases almost doubled in Melbourne overnight... Shiiiieeet

I’m sure it will be fine. What’s the worst that could happen?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Situation in Australia.... seems bad

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

is Australia gonna open er up now

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Has anybody asked Psaki if Biden has gotten a booster yet?

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 19, 2021

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Just got an email from my state inviting me to get vaccinated. I had my second Pfizer in early April, providing no insurance information. Think I’ll see what the Moderna experience is next.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Thoguh posted:

Has any ody asked Psaki if Biden has gotten a booster yet?

Aren’t you tired of hearing her lie and dissemble?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Der Meister posted:

is Australia gonna open er up now

Sydney is giving up for sure.

This is a preview for America's second covid winter btw

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Situation in Australia.... seems bad

call the national guard!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
the other states have closed their borders to NSW, right?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Loucks posted:

It’s a legit, established remote school program run by the state, but a <12 can’t be expected to focus on schoolwork all day, so it’s just one (or both!) of us ignoring our jobs to drag the kid through schoolwork for eight hours.

Then we get to fight in the evenings, which is a nice break.

Don’t update the xslx just yet; we survived this last year with even less effort from the kid. And at least our O2 sats are going to remain above 95%.

oh poo poo man, good luck with that. we're still finalizing details but it's increasingly looking like i'm going to be homeschooling my kids. i'll probably be teaching them in the morning, and then i'll be doing my wfh for most of the rest of the day.

it'll be exhausting as hell, but there was a time when i was able to endure working full-time, doing grad school, and raising two little kids all at once on like 3 hrs of sleep per night. i'm doing my best to convince myself that i can make it through being stretched that thin again. we'll find out!

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I've heard from an epidemiologist but can't independently confirm that there are at least some hypotheses that mRNA vaccines in developing immune systems may suppress immune response for non-targeted diseases but the whole technology is so new that nobody knows for sure. So at minimum there's some debate on the theory side of things.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Lacrosse posted:

Yeah I've decided I'm gonna skip my booster visit and just walk into another pharmacy and get a covid shot

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Der Meister posted:

if they don’t have access to the actual data how can they say there’s enough data

they may be able to infer the vaccine’s effectiveness based on the 12+ crowd but the side effect profile may be different and changes the math

https://downloads.aap.org/DOFA/AAP%...en_08_05_21.pdf

quote:

Based on scientific data currently available on COVID-19 vaccines, as well as on 70 years of vaccinology knowledge in the pediatric population, the Academy believes that clinical trials in these children can be safely conducted with a 2-month safety follow-up for participants. Assuming that the 2-month safety data does not raise any new safety concerns and that immunogenicity data are supportive of use, we believe that this is sufficient for authorization in this and any other age group. Waiting on a 6-month follow-up will significantly hinder the ability to reduce the spread of the hyper infectious COVID-19 Delta variant among this age group, since it would add 4 additional months before an authorization decision can be considered. Based on the evidence from the over 340 million doses of COVID-19 doses administered to adults and adolescents aged 12-17,as well as among adults 18 and older, there is no biological plausibility for serious adverse immunological or inflammatory events to occur more than two months after COVID-19 vaccine administration.

unless you think you know more than the AAP I'm going to trust their decision here. they're the ones who have deal with both the problems from vaccines and the problems from delta. they are telling us in very clear terms to approve the vaccines now given the available data in order to save more children from delta

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Dunno why people are that worried about Jay Inslee's weak as poo poo mask "mandate" when Delta isn't slowing down for anything short of closures of schools and businesses. It's like being worried that a pair of water wings isn't as good as a life jacket as a five thousand foot tall wall of water crests above you.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Der Meister posted:

When the FDA's request for additional safety data before a pediatric vaccine EUA was first publicized there was some discussion this was done with an eye towards expediting some form of full approval. That seems plausible, why do you think it might be due to adverse effects?

Plus during the adult phase 3 vaccine trials significant adverse effect cases were widely publicized, while I'm not aware of any reported so far for the pediatric vaccines. Wouldn't serious adverse effects be reported as well for the pediatric trial prices if they were happening?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Thoguh posted:

Has any ody asked Psaki if Biden has gotten a booster yet?

cannot wait to see the answer to this, it will probably be something like "I cannot believe you would insult the office of the president with such a question. I am personally horrified that these words have been uttered in this hallowed grounds, and I cannot express my complete disgust at what has just transpired. *click, the binder snaps shut* There will be no further questions today."

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

very curious where school resource officers count as employees or contractors w/r/t the vaccine mandate in washington state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Koirhor posted:

call the national guard!

The military has been involved in covid response for like a year.

Steve Yun posted:

the other states have closed their borders to NSW, right?

Yes, that happens after one case.