Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Is there a goon trading guild on the NA server? I'm kind of getting back into ESO for a bit but now that I've almost maxed out crafting on my main it'd be nice to be able to actually sell stuff to people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Comrade Koba posted:

Is there a goon trading guild on the NA server? I'm kind of getting back into ESO for a bit but now that I've almost maxed out crafting on my main it'd be nice to be able to actually sell stuff to people.
No, the guild is barely active. It's a place to help each other out but we don't do anything outward facing and, even if activity picked up, the kind of dedication needed for a trade guild is enormous. They're bidding millions per week, tens of millions in prime spots.

There are a number of no fee trade guilds on NA, some just require activity some have minimum sales requirements. I only have first hand experience with a couple that are full right now, but if you're not sure about the ones you find in the guild finder, or have trouble finding one PM me. I shop around enough to recognize which guilds have consistent traders, though I can't vouch for how they work internally.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

No, the guild is barely active. It's a place to help each other out but we don't do anything outward facing and, even if activity picked up, the kind of dedication needed for a trade guild is enormous. They're bidding millions per week, tens of millions in prime spots.

There are a number of no fee trade guilds on NA, some just require activity some have minimum sales requirements. I only have first hand experience with a couple that are full right now, but if you're not sure about the ones you find in the guild finder, or have trouble finding one PM me. I shop around enough to recognize which guilds have consistent traders, though I can't vouch for how they work internally.

Well, that sucks. :(

Trading in ESO seems pretty arcane and involved to me, but then my only experience has been various kinds of conventional MMO auction houses. Guess I'll just stockpile some mats until I've decided what to do.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
Trading is absolutely awful and the worst I've ever experienced, but the minority who "like" it are extremely vocal, so here we are.

I use https://tamrieltradecentre.com/ a lot, you can also get an addon for price checks (or ask guildies).

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Is there an EU guild? I’m just doing newbie story stuff right now but could be cool to run dungeons or whatever it is folks do in this game.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Is the GM of Lusty Argonian Maid around still? Would you mind making me the rank under GM so I can do things with the guild? DocZero is PSN.

:wotwot:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

how DOES trading work, anyway? I can't for the life of me figure out how auctions work in this game

is there not a faction market

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

how DOES trading work, anyway? I can't for the life of me figure out how auctions work in this game

To the best of my knowledge: You need to be in a large (50+ members) guild. Many trade guilds charge you a regular fee for membership.
You can then put things up for sale in the guild store (like a fixed-price auction house, but limited to your guild).

Guilds place bids each week for merchant locations. If they win, the merchant in that location will make the items in that guilds guild store available to other non-member players.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Potato Salad posted:

Nope, there's not.

Around various cities you'll see on your map "Guild Trader". There's an icon and when you hover, you'll see like 1 to 7 names listed. If you go there, you'll see an NPC standing in front of a cart of goods (or a row of them). It looks like a farmer's market. When you target one of them, after the NPC's name, it'll say what guild is selling from that NPC.

Each week (as mentioned), a trading guild (remember, you can be in multiple guilds, up to 5 I think, so lots of guilds are pretty specialized) will place bids on what trader they want. So ones in hot spots go for a lot, ones out in the boonies will be cheaper.

When you're in that guild, when you go to the bank, you'll have an option for "Guild Store". You can then list stuff for sale from there, that'll show up in your guild's trader, if they have one. Otherwise, only your other guildies can view what you have, from the banker (and you can view theirs).

So if you want to buy something? You have to go loving NPC to NPC searching. You can use https://tamrieltradecentre.com/ as mentioned, but it's only updated by people running the related addon. Anything that looks like a "good deal" and listed more than 30 minutes ago is probably already sold. It's good enough to find basics though, and the addon works well enough to give you an idea if something is obviously vendor trash or might be worth looking more into market value and trying to sell.

In the guild section in ESO, click the guild name at the top, and you can go to the part where you can search for guilds. Find one you like, and there's an apply button in there somewhere. I applied to one of the trade guilds on Saturday, still no response. Some of the guilds are full so the apps back up. Some still have a lot of people in it, but none of them play. Some the leaders just go through apps, kicking out inactive people and letting new ones, like once a week. So it's not the fastest process, and you can't really know why. Some of the trade guilds charge fees or have minimum selling thresholds to not be kicked. If not that, they all at least have inactive kicks (like a week usually).

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Potato Salad posted:

Nope.

Trading is not an auction house at all. it's more like selling on consignment, but you have to do it though a guild. There is a limit to the size of the guild needed before you unlock the ability to bid on a merchant. Koba is correct, there are a bunch of guild merchants scattered around the world, and a guild will go to the ones they like and make a bid to have the merchant represent your guild for that week. if you get outbid, and that's the only one you tried to bid on, then the guild doesn't have a merchant that week. That's why guilds typically charge or ask for donations - that bidding can be quite expensive, especially in high traffic areas like Vvardenfel or Alinor.

Once your guild has a merchant, then people can interact with them to see your Guild's store. Store items persist for up to 30 days, so you don't have to redo your sales every week. At that point, it's essentially you adding your items to the guild's pool of sales. You have to compete with other merchants (guilds) nearby and also your own guild members. It can be considered pretty poor form to undercut a guild member unless they are just asking ridiculous money for something.

You pay a small listing fee, and then the guild gets a cut of the sale that goes into their coffers, so big trading guilds tend to be very wealthy because of this. You can use the guild merchant directly if you want to sell/buy or you can also access the guild store fully at any Banker (but not at Moneylenders or personal bankers). Guilds usually post the merchant in the Notifications, but if they don't or you missed it, the guild merchant is also listed in the Guild info (in the social menu).

If you want to buy stuff, you can do so from guildies or any other guild merchant in the world. You are not limited by faction, guild affiliation, or anything else. I prefer to buy from my own guilds because then the money goes to my guilds (duh). But I don't limit myself. It's a good idea to figure out the high traffic zones, but also some out of the way merchants. You can get a good feel for the going rates like this. High traffic areas can have better prices since there's more competition, but prices can also be outrageous because the seller is betting on the convenience factor, so it's very swingy. Out of the way merchants usually have better prices in my experience, due to not getting much traffic. But then they also tend to have less of a selection because smaller guilds bid on them.

Feel free to ask any specific Qs I may have missed.

E: f;b :orks:

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 18, 2021

longtimelurker
Mar 12, 2006

Powered by alcohol

So I got a random guild invite, found their store by pure random chance, put something on sale then someone changed my rank to not sell!

If anyone has a PSN guild that can invite on the NA server my tag is hello6615. I imagine making your own guild is epic poopsocking and guild wars taught me that running a guild might ruin the game for me.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Two questions that have probably been answered a billion times but I will be dumb and ask anyway.

1) I guess I have the Elsweyr Collector’s edition that I bought a couple years ago to also get access to Morrowind etc. I noticed on their page that it came with the collectors edition items for all of those content packs, but all I could find on my account is the dwarven war horse. How do I redeem all that other stuff? The code from my receipt just says invalid code when I put it in on the account page.

2) I see Blackwood is on sale so figured I should grab it, but I also do not have Graymoor. Currently f2p right now - to get Graymoor I’d have to buy the collection for $40 instead of the upgrade for $28 or whatever, right?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

longtimelurker posted:

So I got a random guild invite, found their store by pure random chance, put something on sale then someone changed my rank to not sell!

If anyone has a PSN guild that can invite on the NA server my tag is hello6615. I imagine making your own guild is epic poopsocking and guild wars taught me that running a guild might ruin the game for me.

Sure, when I get on next I'll shoot you an invite (LOK-Goonsquad guild)

Edit: Done

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 18, 2021

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

longtimelurker posted:

I am at work and dont think I have invite rights to either guild but you can search for the 2 that I am in that have Traders.

Praise RNGesus - always has good trader, works on donations (mats, gold & helping others)

Wicked Ways - new to traders but good overall guild and no current fees or donations.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Fruits of the sea posted:

Is there an EU guild? I’m just doing newbie story stuff right now but could be cool to run dungeons or whatever it is folks do in this game.

House Awful, but it's dead.

longtimelurker
Mar 12, 2006

Powered by alcohol

Awesome! Is there a guild hall and things like that. I probably need to find the guild menu and leave the one I am in. I haven't even played in a group yet in this game but some PvP that isn't in a pick up group sounds fun. Is the whole zone of cyrodil open map PvP?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

longtimelurker posted:

Awesome! Is there a guild hall and things like that. I probably need to find the guild menu and leave the one I am in. I haven't even played in a group yet in this game but some PvP that isn't in a pick up group sounds fun. Is the whole zone of cyrodil open map PvP?

Assuming you are replying to me, then yes! Guild hall with training dummies and all the stations. We also have a couple of weekly raffles, events, and activities. Also a decently active guild chat and discord. But you don't have to be on that if you don't want. A lot of peeps ask for filling out groups, so if you want to get used to it in a low-pressure group, jump in.

re PVP: for the most part yes. I think there are safe areas around the quest givers. I haven't gotten there yet, but I probably should at some point.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Ort posted:

Two questions that have probably been answered a billion times but I will be dumb and ask anyway.

1) I guess I have the Elsweyr Collector’s edition that I bought a couple years ago to also get access to Morrowind etc. I noticed on their page that it came with the collectors edition items for all of those content packs, but all I could find on my account is the dwarven war horse. How do I redeem all that other stuff? The code from my receipt just says invalid code when I put it in on the account page.

2) I see Blackwood is on sale so figured I should grab it, but I also do not have Graymoor. Currently f2p right now - to get Graymoor I’d have to buy the collection for $40 instead of the upgrade for $28 or whatever, right?

1) No idea

2) That sounds correct.

However, sticking to my normal advice in this thread - unless you just have to play both of those right now, I wouldn't buy anything. Go through the content you've already purchased.

And if you go ESO+ (which I would recommend if you like to loot or engage with crafting), there's no reason to buy any of it really. You'll have access to it all except a couple of classes (that you can buy with crowns that ESO+ will give you) and whatever the latest chapter is (aka, Blackwood). Buy it if you do everything else first or just really want to play it right now for whatever reason, I guess. It'll be part of ESO+ when next year's chapter comes out (usually in June-ish, it looks like).

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Doctor Zero posted:

re PVP: for the most part yes. I think there are safe areas around the quest givers.
The only safe area in Cyro is the starting keep where you port in with the banker/merchant/stations/wayshrine etc and your faction quest givers. The quest givers in Cyro, in the various towns, have no safe areas. In Imperial city the quest givers are in safe areas, though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Oh god I'm getting locked into indecision from the very start. I'm either gonna be an Orc and go physical or a High Elf and go full mage. Any opinions? Any tips?

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh god I'm getting locked into indecision from the very start. I'm either gonna be an Orc and go physical or a High Elf and go full mage. Any opinions? Any tips?

It’s pretty cheap to respec between magic and stamina, so I’d try to pick a race you like and a class you like the aesthetic of. Stam builds use more weapon skills (2h, dual wield, etc) and magicka builds use more skills unique to different classes.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Can I play the other alliance storylines without making a new character?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Ort posted:

It’s pretty cheap to respec between magic and stamina, so I’d try to pick a race you like and a class you like the aesthetic of. Stam builds use more weapon skills (2h, dual wield, etc) and magicka builds use more skills unique to different classes.

This. The bonuses for class are nice, but aren't enough to make one choice far superior than others. If you want to make an Orc Magic user, go for it.

StrixNebulosa posted:

yes. It's a little strange when your High Elf has to go fight Dominion forces, but whatever

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yes. You can either do it organically by finishing your original storyline first and then the game will give you a quest to do it, or you can just wander there on your own and break timeline immersion.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Bit of an odd question, maybe, but is there any class/spec that is noticeably slower paced than most of them? I’ve been playing a stamina NB on and off for a few years and while I like the playstyle and can easily steamroll most PVE content, sometimes it gets a bit too twitchy for my taste.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Comrade Koba posted:

Bit of an odd question, maybe, but is there any class/spec that is noticeably slower paced than most of them? I’ve been playing a stamina NB on and off for a few years and while I like the playstyle and can easily steamroll most PVE content, sometimes it gets a bit too twitchy for my taste.
Look for heavy attack builds. I don't think any are anywhere near meta, but there should be some that are more than good enough for most content and they're easier to weave and get sustain on.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Also just random things but completing zones and some other quests allow you to buy a house in each zone for gold instead of crowns.

Also I think it's the Elswyr one where if you finish the main story you get a whole huge house for free. Maybe it was Summerset? I doesn't take very long at all.

Also there's apartments in some cities you can get for really cheap, check the inn in main towns.

I believe Zone Guides are only available if you have ESO+ though, it shows you where to start every zone quest, could be very wrong I've always had ESO+.

e: dunno who this guy is but could help since he shows new players how to max out on just the base game, no added money for like half of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZdQf-N_kGA

Barreft fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 19, 2021

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Barreft posted:

I believe Zone Guides are only available if you have ESO+ though, it shows you where to start every zone quest, could be very wrong I've always had ESO+.
No, those are available always.

ESO+ gives: 1650 crowns, all DLC access, 10% quest gold and XP bonus, 10% research speed, craftbag, double bank space, house furnishings and transmutes, ability to dye costumes.

Nothing UI related is locked behind ESO+ and all content is equally available (as long as you've bought the relevant DLC).

Three main reasons to get ESO+ are a way to get crowns if you'd be buying them anyway, a way to access the content if you prefer a sub vs outright buying, and a way to get the craftbag and double bank space to save inventory juggling. I guess some people are really into housing and get it for the furnishing slots too.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

If it's free then definitely use the zone guide. zoom out on your map, pick a zone, and it'll tell you where to start. It even zooms in. and this is for any part, if you're 4 of 7 zone quests in and were drunk and forgot what you did, the zone guide literally will, again zoom right in and show you where to go.

and that's any zone, but i'd recommend one at a time.

Barreft fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 19, 2021

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

No, those are available always.

ESO+ gives: 1650 crowns, all DLC access, 10% quest gold and XP bonus, 10% research speed, craftbag, double bank space, house furnishings and transmutes, ability to dye costumes.

Nothing UI related is locked behind ESO+ and all content is equally available (as long as you've bought the relevant DLC).

Three main reasons to get ESO+ are a way to get crowns if you'd be buying them anyway, a way to access the content if you prefer a sub vs outright buying, and a way to get the craftbag and double bank space to save inventory juggling. I guess some people are really into housing and get it for the furnishing slots too.

The cost of the DLCs are very high, like 2000 crowns each.

e: Which I think is $20? and there's like 20 DLCs lol

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Rolled an orc lady with the classic two-handed weapons, which I picked as it's completely different to my characters in Daggerfall, Morrowind and Skyrim (archer, thief, and mage respectively) and if I don't like it I'll start over again. Thanks for the tips, I'm in and playing and... oh god right it's an mmo, stop drowning me in menus and login bonuses! :v:

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

quote:

If you want an invite, just drop your @username in the thread and someone will get you an invite into the guild

If the guild is still a thing @CptSoban for an invite please and thankyou.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Barreft posted:

The cost of the DLCs are very high, like 2000 crowns each.

e: Which I think is $20? and there's like 20 DLCs lol
Yeah everything in the game is overpriced. I find the $15 per month for sub to also be high. It's worth pointing out most of those DLCs are dungeons, which are very skippable, though.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Rolled an orc lady with the classic two-handed weapons, which I picked as it's completely different to my characters in Daggerfall, Morrowind and Skyrim (archer, thief, and mage respectively) and if I don't like it I'll start over again. Thanks for the tips, I'm in and playing and... oh god right it's an mmo, stop drowning me in menus and login bonuses! :v:
If you're the pick up everything you find type you'll find yourself with inventory issues. You can alleviate these quite a bit by a) upgrading your bank when you can and b) taking half an hour to make a guild, make 9 trial accounts (outside steam), and have them join your guild. Now you have a personal bank with 500 slots.

Also when you get to level 10 take the game up on its invitation to the PVP zone, do the intro quest and put a skill point into a passive that gives +30% horse speed.

I think inventory and mount training are the most annoying MMO things in the game. There are a few others, like trait research, but they're easier to ignore since they're not essential nor do you feel the impact of not having them.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

LI think inventory and mount training are the most annoying MMO things in the game. There are a few others, like trait research, but they're easier to ignore since they're not essential nor do you feel the impact of not having them.

I don’t think there’s a single MMO that does inventory management well, it’s just this weird relic of 1990s RPG design that gets replicated over and over because it’s an established genre convention and has to be in every single game. I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone who actually thinks fiddling with your inventory slots is an enjoyable part of the game experience?

That said, ESO:s unlimited crafting bag is definitely one of the better implementations out there, so of course you have to pay a monthly fee to use it.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Pledges today were all dungeons that I hadn't done yet (compared to zero from yesterday). That's a lot of dungeons for a weeknight. And of course the random didn't turn up one of them.

I wish they'd get rid of the dungeon quest, just have the NPCs automatically do their scripting, and you get your skill point from the achievement for killing the last boss. Or a quest person is standing there who just gives you the quest and let's you complete it right away. Or something.

It stresses me out trying to start it, esp when there's RP first or if the stretching npc is a little off the main path. The group is already yelling about rushing and skipping. Just stressful, and I want my skill point.

At least the dps queues we're only ~15 (random is quicker).

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Oh speaking of dungeons - what kind of DPS is acceptable for normal dungeons? For veteran?

I have that DPS meter that also tells you your percentage of damage of the group. If I'm in with some 1500cp person... Trash dies before I can really do anything, bosses I might get up to 20-25%, heh.

I mean, they're just normals, I'm not going to beat myself up on it. But I'd like to get some monster sets which is guaranteed helm from vet boss (does it have to be hardmode?), and I don't want to overly embarrass myself.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

xZAOx posted:

Oh speaking of dungeons - what kind of DPS is acceptable for normal dungeons? For veteran?

I have that DPS meter that also tells you your percentage of damage of the group. If I'm in with some 1500cp person... Trash dies before I can really do anything, bosses I might get up to 20-25%, heh.

I mean, they're just normals, I'm not going to beat myself up on it. But I'd like to get some monster sets which is guaranteed helm from vet boss (does it have to be hardmode?), and I don't want to overly embarrass myself.

If I remember it correctly vet dungeon should be started at 25k+ ish on a dummy.

What also catches most newbies off guard is the difficulty progression. One would think it would be dungeons, arenas, trials and then veteran versions and last their respective hard modes.

This is not actually the case.

Actual difficulty curve (there are some exceptions but overall this should be somewhat accurate)

normal base game dungeons
normal base game trials
Veteran base game dungeons
Normal DLC dungeons (difficulty overlap with vet base)
Veteran base game trials
Veteran DLC dungeons (there is a list on Reddit that ranks them individually)

And the sweatiest endgame: hard mode and trifecta runs (speed, no death, hardmode)

I can also really recommend eso+ if you have the spare cash.
There's currently a free play event so I would also strongly encourage you to set up a private guild on your main account and create 9 free accounts that join this guild. This will give you a 500 slot guild bank. The alts need to stay in the guild otherwise you'll loose access.

Random tip: if you level Alts via PVP, make sure not to open any of the reward boxes until you are lvl 50 and CP150. The rewards scale to level when opened. This can be a great source of income.

the panacea fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Aug 19, 2021

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I find the $15 per month for sub to also be high.

I'm not sure why you feel this way since most MMOs are the same price. WoW is the same cost, and while I haven't played WoW in a while I would say ESO has at least a comparable amount of content, and unlike WoW they actually give you expansions (albeit older) for free.

longtimelurker
Mar 12, 2006