Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Gamerofthegame posted:

you have to remember

people who post on game community forums sometimes post here, too

:gonk:

no.. that can't be true.. that'S IMPOSSIBLE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Whoa, settlers being able to create cities with all the infrastructure buildings pre-made is crazy powerful. I'm not sure what I think about the big swings this game is making but they're interesting. Strategic resources being so rare seems like it's designed to drive wars. If I knew who I needed to attack to get gunpowder.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Supposedly the number of strats on the map isn't scaling with map size correctly. My source on this is "people on reddit say so", so, grain of salt and all that. My one game has been on a small-ish map, for 4 players, and the density seemed fine to me.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That could make sense. I'm playing a huge and I have a horse, a copper, and iron, and three MYSTERY RESOURCES yet to be revealed. I've been able to buy a second copy of each of those from my ally, and they have two MYSTERY RESOURCES too.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I did a six person 2 continent map. With a new world.

I think new world counts as one of the two? There’s 5 of us on one continent lol

The sixth is still in the neolithic with zero stars (everyone else in classical or medieval)

Also I’m getting stomped by uh nation ai? The one above metropolitan but below civilization

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There definitely seems to be something weird with the map generator. I can see three continents in my game now and all of them are narrow strips stretching from the north to the south pole.

E: Fourth continent is the same. Wonder what shape the final one will be??

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 19, 2021

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

im liking the rarity of resources since im trading for them from everyone who will let me buy them

i really like the focus switching too. it doesnt feel too “everything ends up the same in the end” so far. after focusing on industry and commerce ive moved onto austria so that my massive cities can just poo poo out influence

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
This is the second night in a row ive sat down to play after work and it was time to go to bed when I next looked at the clock, so clearly its doing something right.

A game hasnt gotten its hooks into me like this since civ5 in college.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

My game isn't progressing past Turn 296 :negative:

The difficulty is a bit all over the place in terms of score, I had to declare repeat surprise wars on the guy in first place because I had to get 2000 score within 50 turns. And you cant reduce their accumulated score AFAIK, just outpace them.. so capturing territories + space race poo poo barely pulled me out of it. Also, basically no one on the map was able to tech into modern armies before the game ended.

Simultaneously, once I unlocked units with guns I basically just steamrolled all over enemies because you do full damage in defense mode and also have a ranged attack, which is absolutely devastating to anyone with a melee attack ie all the town defenders plus cavalry.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 19, 2021

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Solemn Sloth posted:

Nah it’s extremely normal to ragequit, refund, and leave a negative review because the tutorial mission doesn’t have a hard stop

Have you ever played a game that doesn't have a hard stop in a tutorial, or just roll the game into a regular game? Me neither, so it's pretty awful to hear people complaining about a game when it has a flaw, I know.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Had anyone gotten the expansionist ability to actually work? It doesn't let me target things, annex things or even give me an error message.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

How unbelievably difficult is it to exit this black hole tutorial that also uninstalls your windows??

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
How irritating is it to play a game for 12 hours and then find out it cannot be won or lost? We'll never know because goons love to defend bad things they're completely unrelated to, it's extremely good content

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Whoa, settlers being able to create cities with all the infrastructure buildings pre-made is crazy powerful. I'm not sure what I think about the big swings this game is making but they're interesting. Strategic resources being so rare seems like it's designed to drive wars. If I knew who I needed to attack to get gunpowder.

am I missing something or can you not build this as an upgrade in existing cities? seems kinda dumb, though I guess... if you merge cities later it'll aggregate the infrastructure?

my rear end is still chapped from locking myself out of wonders for an era unless I conquered another civ for... their mountain

(ok I changed my mind that's kind of funny)

Ether Frenzy posted:

How irritating is it to play a game for 12 hours and then find out it cannot be won or lost? We'll never know because goons love to defend bad things they're completely unrelated to, it's extremely good content

posting from inside the tutorial, day 2, spirits still high, have made friends with the end turn button

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Veryslightlymad posted:

Had anyone gotten the expansionist ability to actually work? It doesn't let me target things, annex things or even give me an error message.

I got it to work once, it was really annoying. From what I can tell, you can't be at war, and can't have a non-aggression pact. I put my army on the admin building, clicked the ability, and then my army sat there for 6 turns before the territory converted to me. Even when the counter said 0 turns left, my army needed one more turn to finish up the annexation.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ether Frenzy posted:

I don't know man, the journey is the purpose of games like this, otherwise you can just go watch the ending vid on youtube or something.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

But the game won't tell me I'm a good boy! The devs can never be forgiven.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Brandfarlig posted:

But the game won't tell me I'm a good boy! The devs can never be forgiven.

honestly these games really do need a fallout 1 style ending where it recaps your story, rather than just... 'You Win! Grats!'

not sure if there's enough actual story fodder for that just yet, but it's a thought

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

victrix posted:

honestly these games really do need a fallout 1 style ending where it recaps your story, rather than just... 'You Win! Grats!'

not sure if there's enough actual story fodder for that just yet, but it's a thought

Old World and Civ4 and Alpha Centauri have game recaps. I think even Civ5 did too? Not sure about civ6 or Humankind though.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

How does the trading work with other guys? I made a deal we can trade in luxury resources. So suddendly I get a notification some guy buys "access" to my luxury for 30g. 10g. ?! I look at what the guy has and he asks me for 150g+.?!?! How does this thing work and why they automatically can loot my luxury resources. Do I lose them to the enemy too while they get them basically for free?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

If the other guys buy access from you then it means they basically get a cloned version of the resource while you still retain the original copy of the resource (and of course the FIDS bonus you get from the deposit). If a merchant culture buys access from you then it means they can sell that cloned version for a markup to other people not you.

Only way to lose the resource is if some rear end in a top hat razes the original deposit down to the ground. If you're buying access, a change in diplomatic relations like going to war or getting trade treaties downgraded will also cut off access.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

To be real, yeah that is bad design, but does it actually matter? Is it seriously "leave a raging review and refund the game" levels of bad? if you had fun..... just start a new campaign, like seriously

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

In other news, I just moved some units onto my border with my neighbor (unrelated to any invasion plans), and the next turn a map marker showed up that said it was from them, with the eye icon. like they pinged that spot to subtly tell me that they see what i'm doing without opening some tiresome diplomacy window about it. That's pretty neat if that's the intent. If that's not the intent, then I have no idea what the deal with that is.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

So uh you might want to make sure to not put too many planes in a squadron unless you want exponential upkeep out of nowhere.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I stopped the tutorial on turn 10 when it showed me my avatar was a standard dev one instead of the one I made myself on the start-up screen, and I assumed everybody else would do the same. Who even plays a game like civ until the victory screen?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Deltasquid posted:

Who even plays a game like civ until the victory screen?

Uh, I mean, probably a lot of people?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Old World and Civ4 and Alpha Centauri have game recaps. I think even Civ5 did too? Not sure about civ6 or Humankind though.

yeah I mean more than a timeline, like cutscenes, dialogue, etc, molded by what you did throughout the game, not just what your victory condition was

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

In other news, I just moved some units onto my border with my neighbor (unrelated to any invasion plans), and the next turn a map marker showed up that said it was from them, with the eye icon. like they pinged that spot to subtly tell me that they see what i'm doing without opening some tiresome diplomacy window about it. That's pretty neat if that's the intent. If that's not the intent, then I have no idea what the deal with that is.

Yeah, they seem to do that a bit. When I moved into the Iron Age, I had both of my allies pinging an iron ore deposit on my lands, presumably as a shorthand for "go exploit that so I can buy it from you". Which I did, and they did.

Anyway, is there any downside to having lots of outposts? I think I was too timid putting them down in my first game, and now I'm boxed in on all sides with a mere four territories and hundreds of influence piling up that I can't spend on anything.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Stability - depending on your difficulty level, you'll have to manage it to a greater or lesser degree. That said in general you should outpost everything you possibly can afford, particularly any region that looks to have multiple strategics/luxuries/natural wonders, or acts as useful tactical terrain for building forts etc.

e: also simply influence cost, you'll need to pump a lot of influence out early to expand rapidly

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

victrix posted:

It does that though? It has a video with views of the world and talks about your specific achievements and failures. It's about as close to a fallout ending screen as I think you could do in a 4x

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

The downside to outpost spam is that you're going to miss out on securing wonders, enacting civics, and face a hard decision between attaching outposts, exploiting strategic/luxury resource deposits, and creating cities. Outposts also don't contribute much to science and money, and they don't have any production so they can't build armies and navies.

The upshot to outpost spam is that the population counts for religion and game purposes. Outposts and resource deposits also create roads which can be handy if the algorithm has the road crossing a river. If you're the Huns or Mongols, outposts are also another way to poop out more horse archers.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Creating outposts doesn't cost stability, at least not by any significant amount comparing to attaching them to cities. Anyway, there's no downside and if you're playing a culture civ of any kind you definitely want to claim as much territory as possible as fast as possible. It's better value than creating more, bigger cities you can't afford at least. Spending culture to exploit resources is also often cheaper and simpler than building them manually and I wish you could just down that for territories that are attached to cities.

Also I wish building a single giant mega-city was actually good, but it seems like they've stacked a billion penalties on it for launch. Like, only being able to grow 1 pop a turn is already pretty awful, but whenever I merge two big cities I find that they somehow don't have enough food to feed themselves anymore?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

a pipe smoking dog posted:

It does that though? It has a video with views of the world and talks about your specific achievements and failures. It's about as close to a fallout ending screen as I think you could do in a 4x

... wait, which game? I just finished a game of OW the other night and didn't see that, just a timeline thing

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

victrix posted:

... wait, which game? I just finished a game of OW the other night and didn't see that, just a timeline thing

Humankind does a thing where it has some ending narration mix-and-matched from the stuff you did well at in the game. It's pretty vague though, like "you built a wonder... you had a lot of allies..."

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

This game already feels like Endless Legend + expansions did, where there's so much stuff going on that takes so long to do or to build, but the eras of time are just flying by without me engaging with much of it. You're also even more vulnerable to bad starts in this game. Endless time setting doesn't fix it either, it's a balance/scaling thing. Like in Endless Legend there was a mod that makes you need 12 techs to go up an era instead of 9, it was a really simple change but it fixed so much for me.

At least it's on gamepass.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Aug 19, 2021

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i've been enjoying the heck out of this on the lower difficulties, where i belong.

unlike in civ 6 where low difficulty usually just meant "ai does nothing" this is actually very fun

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Played about 50 turns of the tutorial so far, seems alright. As others have said, if you choose "I've played this kind of game before" at least, the tutorial is insanely barebones lol. Really it's just like starting a normal sandbox game with a few added tooltips. Lots of stuff I don't fully grasp yet.

Slightly weird things so far:

The first culture I met was Nubians, who are traders, and they just instantly suck up every strategic and luxury resource I get the moment I start exploiting it for a pittance. Yet the reverse is many times more expensive. I think I'll probably be more careful about opening trade rights next time.

All my scouts got decimated by chariots from various factions and independents, even though I swear none of them could have had access to 2x horses.

It's absurdly easy to influence independent factions. Like I went from 0 to 100 in sub-20 turns for the cost of 10 influence and 10 gold total. Maybe it's because I'm an Aesthete culture somehow??

Oh my god the arrow key pan is so slow. I loving hate click to drag on maps.

Overall jury is still out for me. I like Amplitude's games a lot but I'm pretty ambivalent about the Civ games that I have played. Usually I play one or two massive length campaigns and then I feel done with them, while I get a good 60-100 hours out of the Endless games.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I still need to figure out if the AI is interesting in the late game. That's my biggest issue with Civ, they can never recover if they fall behind. In my tutorial game I was way ahead, in this game on Civilization difficulty, I just entered the Early Modern era on turn 104 and there's an unmet player with almost twice as much fame as me.

I love that one of the ending conditions is making the world uninhabitable with pollution or nuclear war.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
This looks interesting, but I haven't played Civ V with the two expansions yet, so maybe I'll just buy those instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I do wish the other players were named by their avatar name rather than their current culture, or perhaps a combination of the two. It can be a bit annoying shortly after an era change to read "The English do this and that" and having to look up who the hell the English used to be and whether you should hate them.