Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

CaptainViolence posted:

i watched this with horrified fascination and the cut at the end just as it starts exploding right about now lol is perfectly terrifying

its like that tianjin port explosion video

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

38 of the 57 new cases today were from the same Muslim school that was the centre of the outbreak at this same time last year. This is right after the fundamentalist Jewish engagement party super spreader event. Must be a fun time for racists.

"australia - a fun time for racists"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I was expecting that to be this music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST2H8FWDvEA

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Famous last words.

The most annoying thing about covid destroying the last bastions in the western world is that I wasn't able to lose any weight in the last 18 months despite doing everything I could without gyms open. I drank nothing but goddamn water this entire time and walked home from work every day. I only eat two healthy meals per day, no snacks. Yet I'm still 30lbs overweight with high blood pressure and asthma and covid knocking at my door. Cut me some loving slack world.

We'll see lol, I'd put money on us running this to ground. The lockdown here is total, compliance is really high, close contact and location of interest numbers are still low enough to be manageable because it was caught before having too much time to spread un-noticed. The imported case that it leaked from has already been identified via genomic sequencing so now they just have to figure out how it leaked but we know exactly when and where it came from and it seems unlikely that it could have been in the community for very long or passed through many people before detection.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Americans are stupid and selfish but we're also violent and while you can debate whether or not most parents truly love their children, I think it's reasonable to say that at the very least they think they do and would be angry if their children were murdered or maimed. I highly doubt we won't see some kind of reaction to a modern day Massacre of the Innocents - only real rather than fictional.

Granted, as mentioned, we're stupid and selfish, so whether or not the reaction is in any way constructive, helpful, or even aimed at the right people is anyone's guess. I'm already anticipating peopel somehow blaming the vaccines and the vaccinated.

I mean, we've seen a massive amount of death so far, and almost all of the violence has come from people who think it's a hoax. I could easily be wrong, but I don't think the victims being children is actually gonna change much, people have been indoctrinated with learned helplessness way too thoroughly.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

SpaceDrake posted:

alright, but. im sorry cspam, i have to realpost for a minute here

I'm actually super loving worried about the next 6-8 weeks. like. it is now virtually guaranteed that millions of children are going to be infected with covid-19 — probably north of 75% of the entire school-age population, especially the elementary demographic — and the sheer overload of the health system this will cause is going to kill tens of thousands of children in the space of a month or two. I am deadass actually expecting that we are going to be facing down a hundred thousand dead children by some point in October. and I have no loving idea what happens after that. what happens after the biggest child mortality crisis in this country in more than a century, and this one self-manufactured.

like, the leadership and certain parts of the bourgeoisie are going to try to not give a poo poo beyond platitudes, and at least at first I expect a Sandy Hook-esque shrug, but by the time the death wave really sets in, even at only like 50,000 dead that's going to be six digits worth of parents who are just. just totally and completely out of their minds with grief and rage. and power will try and do nothing, and. they're going to want to express their anger.

i'm not predicting ~~civil war~~ because i don't expect it to be a war; war implies some level of organization. i just keep imagining this white-hot ball of rage erupting all across the country, and. it'll just be people doing poo poo because gently caress it, our children are dead, our world has already ended, and so far nobody has given a gently caress. well we'll make you give a gently caress.

like. tell me the molochian virus furnace we're about to shovel 60 million children into isn't going to result in massive child death, cspam. tell me the next few months I see ahead of us is just me doom-braining. :smith:

lol

lmao

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I mean, we've seen a massive amount of death so far, and almost all of the violence has come from people who think it's a hoax. I could easily be wrong, but I don't think the victims being children is actually gonna change much, people have been indoctrinated with learned helplessness way too thoroughly.

yeah i guess my correction would be that there probably will be outbreaks of violence but it will be directed at the entirely wrong targets instead of the people in charge

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

papersack posted:

can corn catch covid?

yes of course. but then it has to corn teen

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Zisky posted:

It rules having a wife in one of the largest public health departments in the US because you get to hear leading indicators like "yeah in the next couple of weeks shits gonna get really really bad."

Wow, has she looked in to

Heh

therapy?

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

lol

https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1428202423210889220

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

i am harry posted:

“we’re not going back, that’s what.”

-jenn psaki

We're not going back! COVID's going back. To your lungs.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

I have been stuck

And i like to gently caress

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

official song for when covid is absolutely going to be over this time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp93s2nmUhU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

SpaceDrake posted:

I'm actually super loving worried about the next 6-8 weeks. like. it is now virtually guaranteed that millions of children are going to be infected with covid-19 — probably north of 75% of the entire school-age population, especially the elementary demographic — and the sheer overload of the health system this will cause is going to kill tens of thousands of children in the space of a month or two. I am deadass actually expecting that we are going to be facing down a hundred thousand dead children by some point in October. and I have no loving idea what happens after that. what happens after the biggest child mortality crisis in this country in more than a century, and this one self-manufactured.

like, the leadership and certain parts of the bourgeoisie are going to try to not give a poo poo beyond platitudes, and at least at first I expect a Sandy Hook-esque shrug, but by the time the death wave really sets in, even at only like 50,000 dead that's going to be six digits worth of parents who are just. just totally and completely out of their minds with grief and rage. and power will try and do nothing, and. they're going to want to express their anger.

i'm not predicting ~~civil war~~ because i don't expect it to be a war; war implies some level of organization. i just keep imagining this white-hot ball of rage erupting all across the country, and. it'll just be people doing poo poo because gently caress it, our children are dead, our world has already ended, and so far nobody has given a gently caress. well we'll make you give a gently caress.

like. tell me the molochian virus furnace we're about to shovel 60 million children into isn't going to result in massive child death, cspam. tell me the next few months I see ahead of us is just me doom-braining. :smith:

We are very likely to see vast numbers of children die, yes. The thing is, though, it's going to be spread out over a huge country. Add in the fact that America is fantastically unhealthy, and you'll probably see many of those deaths directly written off as "they had comorbidities". Like, think about how many kids you know who have asthma. People will be happy to memory hole them because asthma is a comorbidity.

Maybe I'm wrong (and, honestly, I really hope I am), but I don't think that, even though we'll be feeding huge numbers of kids into the fire (even more than just from COVID, too, since full ICUs are going to significantly amplify mortality from what should be treatable illnesses and injuries) for the sake of juicing the economy and BIden's political aspirations, Americans will generally care. Maybe if kids were falling over dead in classrooms all across the country, but that's not going to happen. We're really good at keeping images of what serious illness actually looks like away from people who might see it and decide that things are bad.

Most of this country operates under the belief that if it doesn't hurt them, personally, it can't be that bad. I don't know how you shake that.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

100k dead children is 2000 per state

barely a blip

america will shrug it off. the endgame of neoliberalism is utter indifference and outright contempt for people who are going "hey we should do something", constant mocking and YOOOOO THIS GUY ACTUALLY CARES XDDDDD LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo*howling* WHAT A CUCK LOSER!

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Casey Finnigan posted:

what is the american endgame here? just keep things open until every single hospital in the nation is overwhelmed? and then what? What the gently caress are we doing

Say it's over and that everyone sick is either not important or a loser. Expressing American individualism to the core and not give a poo poo of how bad our country has become.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Kreeblah posted:

Most of this country operates under the belief that if it doesn't hurt them, personally, it can't be that bad. I don't know how you shake that.

a respiratory virus that's mutated to be more contagious and deadly scything through millions of unvaccinated children would probably do it

also re: doomposting - yeah, it's probably going to get bad, but there's nothing you can do about it. worry about what you can do something about. love yourself, love your family, and do whatever you can to put some good out into the world

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Casey Finnigan posted:

what is the american endgame here? just keep things open until every single hospital in the nation is overwhelmed? and then what? What the gently caress are we doing

Genocide of its own people

It makes no sense, if only stupid anti-cancers would die then I’d be ok/whatever but they’re killing kids now and people with poo poo immune systems who probably are vaccinated and trying to keep themselves and their families safe.

If chuds were the only ones getting it and dying then I’m all for it and I’ll support them to do it.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
hahaha holy gently caress:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2108453

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Most Americans can't accept that there are problems that guns can't address

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

things are looking up

for the coronavirus!

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

pillsburysoldier posted:

Most Americans can't accept that there are problems that guns can't address

some might argue that guns could solve covid if applied correctly

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

PDP-1 posted:

so is abbot dead yet or what

That is not dead which can eternal lie

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

SKULL.GIF posted:

100k dead children is 2000 per state

barely a blip

america will shrug it off. the endgame of neoliberalism is utter indifference and outright contempt for people who are going "hey we should do something", constant mocking and YOOOOO THIS GUY ACTUALLY CARES XDDDDD LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo*howling* WHAT A CUCK LOSER!

Oh gently caress.. I'm becoming a neoliberal.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

SpaceDrake posted:

lol

lmao

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

the endgame that our leaders are aiming for is that eventually the problem goes away on its own

trump

whoops
biden

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Glumwheels posted:

Genocide of its own people

It makes no sense, if only stupid anti-cancers would die then I’d be ok/whatever but they’re killing kids now and people with poo poo immune systems who probably are vaccinated and trying to keep themselves and their families safe.

If chuds were the only ones getting it and dying then I’m all for it and I’ll support them to do it.

i think the whole "this is an intentional genocide" thing is giving the government way too much credit tbh.

covid isn't unique, it's just the first major crisis in our lifetimes that can't be bribed, murdered by the police, silenced by lack of media coverage, or ignored because the damage is being done a thousand miles away. the people in power have ignored every problem they've ever come across and someone else either takes the fall or it goes away on its own. that's all they know how to do and its exactly what they're doing now

edit: this is the first time that most of the elites and the people they serve (corporations and old white voters) have to face direct consequences for their actions that they cant deflect onto someone else and they're all going insane. turns out you can't blow someone else's lungs out if you go to the gently caress'n'suck

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 19, 2021

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

so this seems to say if you beat the original SARS and got a COVID-19 vaccine you are now immune to any related coronavirus?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

mod sassinator posted:

fauci flapping his jaws about boosters: https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/dr-fauci-on-effectiveness-of-vaccine-booster-118989381977

lol he says we don't need a 4th shot after this one, that ~~the data~~ shows a third shot is good enough

a whole lot of non-answers otherwise

Somebody's tracking the obvious lie for a year from now when we're getting 4th boosters?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

PostNouveau posted:

Somebody's tracking the obvious lie for a year from now when we're getting 4th boosters?

actually the science just learned more and changed their recommendations. they weren’t lying to your face, they just didn’t have all the science yet. the fact that a bunch of terminally online shut-in superposters knew before the CDC is because they need therapy and should stop posting misinformation

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Business Gorillas posted:

i think the whole "this is an intentional genocide" thing is giving the government way too much credit tbh.

covid isn't unique, it's just the first major crisis in our lifetimes that can't be bribed, murdered by the police, silenced by lack of media coverage, or ignored because the damage is being done a thousand miles away. the people in power have ignored every problem they've ever come across and someone else either takes the fall or it goes away on its own. that's all they know how to do and its exactly what they're doing now

Yep. And as a result, we have a government full of people who have never had to make a truly difficult decision (do the right thing, even though it's gonna be massively unpopular with a huge part of the country) in their entire careers. Like, it's literally a thing that they've never had to contemplate doing. What we're seeing now is the effects of that, where loving nobody is willing to do what needs doing, because they're hoping that somebody else will jump on that grenade instead. Then, if it ends up becoming blindingly obvious (even in spite of America's built-in apathy) that they completely hosed it up, they're just gonna point fingers at somebody else (presumably unvaxxed folks), because that's always worked in the past.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Atrocious Joe posted:

so this seems to say if you beat the original SARS and got a COVID-19 vaccine you are now immune to any related coronavirus?

yep

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

Business Gorillas posted:

edit: this is the first time that most of the elites and the people they serve (corporations and old white voters) have to face direct consequences for their actions that they cant deflect onto someone else and they're all going insane. turns out you can't blow someone else's lungs out if you go to the gently caress'n'suck

I think all that will ultimately come of this pandemic is that it speeds up the process of the US turning itself into a country with a South American standard of living

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Biden is just gonna keep saying pandemic of the unvaccinated for the next 7 months and waiting for it to burn out like all other waves. have fun all.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

At what point do you think Biden will address the nation on delta?
I'm thinking he might pop up at Thanksgiving to thank you all for defeating it

Apr 7, 2003

Bathtub Cheese posted:

I think all that will ultimately come of this pandemic is that it speeds up the process of the US turning itself into a country with a South American standard of living

That's the goal

Brazilian style 12% shoe installment payments

Having a middle class is no longer profitable enough

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
It wouldn't surprise me either if our country goes full Nazi Germany and blames the long covid people for not working hard or being a burden on medical care.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Kreeblah posted:

Yep. And as a result, we have a government full of people who have never had to make a truly difficult decision (do the right thing, even though it's gonna be massively unpopular with a huge part of the country) in their entire careers. Like, it's literally a thing that they've never had to contemplate doing. What we're seeing now is the effects of that, where loving nobody is willing to do what needs doing, because they're hoping that somebody else will jump on that grenade instead. Then, if it ends up becoming blindingly obvious (even in spite of America's built-in apathy) that they completely hosed it up, they're just gonna point fingers at somebody else (presumably unvaxxed folks), because that's always worked in the past.

it's not that the right thing is unpopular with a huge part of the country. today, the right things to beat the pandemic are very popular with the majority. vaccine mandates have majority support according to polls these days, and paying people to stay home in the form of trump/biden/bernie bucks were of course overwhelmingly popular. popularity with the majority of the population doesn't matter, they're worried about popularity among the 1% of people who do matter

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

is there any reason I should get the booster now at 5 months? any adverse effects reported from boosting too early?

Apr 7, 2003

Credit Karma keeps offering me 6% car refinance loans

my current loan is 0%

dunno what their profile on me looks like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

DesertIslandHermit posted:

It wouldn't surprise me either if our country goes full Nazi Germany and blames the long covid people for not working hard or being a burden on medical care.

"We must doing something about the dirty Jews CCP/Russian agents"