Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ram dass in hell posted:

If you think about it really no deaths are preventable since everyone is mortal,

Speak for yourself I got the death mrna shots and the booster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

empty whippet box posted:

a 9/11 every 3 days is fine because a democrat is president, actually

lmao we're going to have almost 10 9/11s of death before the anniversary of 9/11

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Kids dying en masse is going to be consent manufactured to hell and back. They're not your kids. The parents are at fault. It didn't happen to you. Enjoy your Applebee's.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Kreeblah posted:

I mean, there's certainly the donor thing, too, but the Dems are loving obsessed with chasing Republican votes (who basically hold the same views that their donors do). They're the "large parts of the country" I meant, but I guess I could have been clearer about that.

don’t know why I have to post this in C-SPAM or how to make this clearer but normal people don’t matter.

Even on just a state level, a governor is concerned with the opinions of maybe .05-.25% of the state population. And those people, in both red and blue states, are mostly fine with things as they are. COVID is a poor person disease* and they’re not poor so why change things that could inconvenience them?

*: I anticipate that the aristocracy realizes that delta has maybe changed this risk calculus by the middle of September.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

the precog lady emerges from the water, but instead of "mur-der", she says "lol lmao"

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

osprey posted:

yes of course. but then it has to corn teen

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

mastershakeman posted:

What do you guys think real cases are at

Like last fall.testinf was pretty good so those 200k days were probably true 250k? And the early spring of 2020 were only like 30k but really 300k daily when you looked at deaths after the fact ?

So now it's probably in between that, and what, these 150k are really 450k?

If we kept up doubling every 11 days like was happening all of July we'd be around 200-250k per day right now. So yeah assuming there's some testing that's missing it's tracking pretty well with us only logging about 175k cases right now.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

corona familiar posted:

ever since that GIF i made a few days ago, i started working on a web app that could animate historical data from CovidActNow's dataset

it's really barebones right now, just a map and a date, but i can animate basically any field on this documentation page

here's a recording of cases per 100k (7 day average). placeholder colors, but red = 100 cases / 100k

https://i.imgur.com/hNYIUaU.mp4

not sure what's up with nebraska

ohhh that is really cool

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Mola Yam posted:

the precog lady emerges from the water, but instead of "mur-der", she says "lol lmao"

trump

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Penisaurus Sex posted:

don’t know why I have to post this in C-SPAM or how to make this clearer but normal people don’t matter.

Even on just a state level, a governor is concerned with the opinions of maybe .05-.25% of the state population. And those people, in both red and blue states, are mostly fine with things as they are. COVID is a poor person disease* and they’re not poor so why change things that could inconvenience them?

*: I anticipate that the aristocracy realizes that delta has maybe changed this risk calculus by the middle of September.

Nah delta hasn't changed poo poo. It's easily beatable by the rich with early detection and treatment. Just as that cockswindling cumhoarder Abbott will have absolutely nothing to worry about with his covid, any rich people that get it simply have to call their concierge physician and get the ball rolling on regeneron and adrenochrome injections.

The best we can hope for is that they develop brain damage from long covid. Otherwise the only way rich people will even notice is when too much of the help is dead and they are inconvenienced (a genuine possibility at this point considering the whole nobody working retail/service anymore)

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Asproigerosis posted:

Nah delta hasn't changed poo poo. It's easily beatable by the rich with early detection and treatment. Just as that cockswindling cumhoarder Abbott will have absolutely nothing to worry about with his covid, any rich people that get it simply have to call their concierge physician and get the ball rolling on regeneron and adrenochrome injections.

The best we can hope for is that they develop brain damage from long covid. Otherwise the only way rich people will even notice is when too much of the help is dead and they are inconvenienced (a genuine possibility at this point considering the whole nobody working retail/service anymore)

I think the big change is going to be the level of wealth you need to insulate your family. With wildtype you really only needed the level of wealth that a couple of million dollars bestowed.

delta pushed that up by a factor of 10 probably.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Asproigerosis posted:

https://twitter.com/SarahMaslinNir/status/1408830124066316290

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

SpaceDrake posted:

alright, but. im sorry cspam, i have to realpost for a minute here

I'm actually super loving worried about the next 6-8 weeks. like. it is now virtually guaranteed that millions of children are going to be infected with covid-19 — probably north of 75% of the entire school-age population, especially the elementary demographic — and the sheer overload of the health system this will cause is going to kill tens of thousands of children in the space of a month or two. I am deadass actually expecting that we are going to be facing down a hundred thousand dead children by some point in October. and I have no loving idea what happens after that. what happens after the biggest child mortality crisis in this country in more than a century, and this one self-manufactured.

like, the leadership and certain parts of the bourgeoisie are going to try to not give a poo poo beyond platitudes, and at least at first I expect a Sandy Hook-esque shrug, but by the time the death wave really sets in, even at only like 50,000 dead that's going to be six digits worth of parents who are just. just totally and completely out of their minds with grief and rage. and power will try and do nothing, and. they're going to want to express their anger.

i'm not predicting ~~civil war~~ because i don't expect it to be a war; war implies some level of organization. i just keep imagining this white-hot ball of rage erupting all across the country, and. it'll just be people doing poo poo because gently caress it, our children are dead, our world has already ended, and so far nobody has given a gently caress. well we'll make you give a gently caress.

like. tell me the molochian virus furnace we're about to shovel 60 million children into isn't going to result in massive child death, cspam. tell me the next few months I see ahead of us is just me doom-braining. :smith:

it could get there but I think even the most lovely and lax school system is going to totally breakdown as hundreds of cases pop up every week. there is just no possible way to run school with everyone is absent for weeks at a time. we'll probably see some pretty horrific death numbers in the south where they aren't mandating masks, but hopefully in the rest of the country people will be scared shitless into good mask use, quarantining, shutting down, etc.

100k dead kids with a CFR of 0.1% (total guess but the CFR for kids definitely isn't the 0.5% we see for adults) would require all 100 million children in the country to be infected. realistically i doubt we can get much past 1/3 of kids infected before poo poo is really off the rails. and 0.1% is still probably way too high a CFR, it's probably more like 0.01%. so I'd wager we see about 1,000 kid deaths--which is still a horrific number and like 4x a bad flu year in deaths. if I'm totally off and it really is a 200x bad flu year (100k deaths) then holy poo poo you are right there will be parents gunning down principals and administrators in murder-suicide retributions

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

IHME a while ago (before Delta) estimated the US was at 900k+ dead. I'd love another updated estimate like that this year.

salient
Jan 2, 2021

quote:

https://www.facebook.com/106544924308343/posts/384056303223869/

Hey, friends. It’s bad in the pediatric units right now. You’ve probably heard about the rumblings of high census overall and more Covid and other respiratory viruses making kids sick. I just received this from a friend, and was given permission to share. This is the experience of an Indianapolis pediatrician right now. Feel free to share.

“I just worked 60 hours over the past 5 nights, single physician coverage, in a 17-bed pediatric Emergency Department. These have been some of the toughest shifts I have ever had in my 20 year career.

Much of the time during those 5 nights we were on PICU diversion, which means we have no staffed PICU beds available, and we cannot accept ambulances or hospital-to-hospital transfers with critically ill or injured children. Imagine that being your child. 😢

One night we held both a young cancer patient in septic shock and a patient having a severe asthma attack for many hours (one of them for almost my entire 12-hour shift), while the nurses and docs upstairs shuffled patients around, trying to get the least critically sick PICU patients safely out to the general pediatric floor and make room for the new critically ill. Are there COVID patients in the PICU? Yes. Does it matter if we get two or ten more COVID patients (when people argue about IF kids really get "that" sick from COVID) when we don't have room for even ONE more? You tell me. Everything matters when it’s your child, OR when you are a physician or nurse caring for those children.

In the meantime in the Peds ED, while doing our best to care for those critically ill patients, we are also seeing a 20 to 50% increase on a daily basis in patient volumes from our pre-pandemic average. And despite the nurses, physicians, respiratory therapists, radiology technicians, pharmacists, physician assistants, environmental services and every other healthcare worker busting our behinds, patient wait times are high, and family frustrations are rising. Yesterday 23 pediatric patients checked in over just 2 hours! Most parents have been understanding, though many still have not."

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Foo Diddley posted:

i just don't want my niece to die. she's like the only little kid i can stand

but hey, open biden, can't upset number

send your sibling packs of kid size KF94s and encourage them to use them everywhere

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

lmao we're going to have almost 10 9/11s of death before the anniversary of 9/11

Imagine for a moment, that in 10 years anybody will remember 9/11

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

osprey posted:

children are not part of the labor pool. nor are they consumers. we cannot extract wealth from them, therefore they are expendable

elon musk-ishly: we will replace the children with an army of AI robots that are more productive to society. telomere extensions will keep all adults alive indefinitely and we will procreate merely for the thrill and pleasure of it--all will be sterilized

cmerepaul
Nov 28, 2005
That's not chapstick!

[COVID-19] I think we’re about to blow it — in a euphemistic way, and in a literal way

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

fosborb posted:

another factor of some children getting very sick is that we dont really build in extra pediatric ICU beds like we do with adults, because kids aren't supposed to get sick like that.

and even if we find the beds, crash coursing medical staff in peds will absolutely result in worse outcomes

that's probably the real risk that will end up turning what should have been a couple hundred preventable child deaths into a thousand or more preventable deaths

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Kids dying en masse is going to be consent manufactured to hell and back. They're not your kids. The parents are at fault. It didn't happen to you. Enjoy your Applebee's.
yup. You Knew The Risk. It Was Your Choice.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

i like the moderna personally, you just jam that big thing in there and blow a massive load out

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Thesaurus posted:

is there any reason I should get the booster now at 5 months? any adverse effects reported from boosting too early?
who knows :shrug: I got my booster at 4 months because why wait, besides a sore arm everything is normal

cmerepaul
Nov 28, 2005
That's not chapstick!
BTW, feature request for the timelapse video creator peeps: if a county on a particular date has a null value, show the most recently recorded value instead of null. It'll prevent the noisy black blips sprinkled across the map due to occasional missing data.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

If there's a bustle in your hedgerow, don't be alarmed now
It's just a spring clean for the Yaaas Queen

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
america

suck poo poo you dumb assholes

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

mod sassinator posted:

i like the moderna personally, you just jam that big thing in there and blow a massive load out

big beautiful titers

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
i hope everyone dies all of the time

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
in a constant state of living and dying all the time

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Tzen posted:

yup. You Knew The Risk. It Was Your Choice.

Children 👏 don't 👏 need 👏 to 👏 have 👏 a 👏 long 👏 life 👏 to 👏 live 👏 well

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Mola Yam posted:

i hope everyone dies all of the time

:hmmyes:

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
We flat out don't do any mri on kids under 12 because the radiologists aren't comfortable in familiarity with reading them. I suspect this can be directly analogous to normal physicians and clinical treatment. Zoomer gen looking bleak as gently caress.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Zoomers are gonna poo poo on millennials for complaining about our lives the way that we poo poo on boomers

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Casey Finnigan posted:

Zoomers are gonna poo poo on millennials for complaining about our lives the way that we poo poo on boomers

"Shut the gently caress up millenial, at least you had a JOB when you graduated"

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Casey Finnigan posted:

Zoomers deserve to put our heads on pikes when the water wars start.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Casey Finnigan posted:

i hope the zoomers poo poo into my open skull

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
they say being drunk just amplifies who you are when you're sober

i have a drink and i feel fine about dying. what a gift! i wish death on everyone as a kindness!

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Mola Yam posted:

they say being drunk just amplifies who you are when you're sober

i have a drink and i feel fine about dying. what a gift! i wish death on everyone as a kindness!

Yeah my mom used to say people are honest when they're drunk.

I drank the other night and was just 'lmao this country is hosed, just keep close touch with friends and help out if I can'

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Yeah that’s the plan, as far as there is one.

Governors don’t want to act because it’s political suicide. Same for state legislators. Because of Federalism the Biden admin can’t do much, and what they can do is even further limited by ideological and political fears.

The first elected official to really admit everything is falling apart might realistically have to worry about a lot more than getting re-elected, especially in Florida or Georgia or somewhere. If all the death is baked in and we can’t actually do what we need anyway (banning interstate travel, actual lockdowns, contact tracing), who gains anything by rocking the boat?

Sadly a whole lot of people are going to die but that’s a consequence of the entire rotten structure, not one or two dipshits who became governor somehow.

newsom is gonna get recalled because of being slightly inconveniencing to chuds lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SpaceDrake posted:

alright, but. im sorry cspam, i have to realpost for a minute here

I'm actually super loving worried about the next 6-8 weeks. like. it is now virtually guaranteed that millions of children are going to be infected with covid-19 — probably north of 75% of the entire school-age population, especially the elementary demographic — and the sheer overload of the health system this will cause is going to kill tens of thousands of children in the space of a month or two. I am deadass actually expecting that we are going to be facing down a hundred thousand dead children by some point in October. and I have no loving idea what happens after that. what happens after the biggest child mortality crisis in this country in more than a century, and this one self-manufactured.

like, the leadership and certain parts of the bourgeoisie are going to try to not give a poo poo beyond platitudes, and at least at first I expect a Sandy Hook-esque shrug, but by the time the death wave really sets in, even at only like 50,000 dead that's going to be six digits worth of parents who are just. just totally and completely out of their minds with grief and rage. and power will try and do nothing, and. they're going to want to express their anger.

i'm not predicting ~~civil war~~ because i don't expect it to be a war; war implies some level of organization. i just keep imagining this white-hot ball of rage erupting all across the country, and. it'll just be people doing poo poo because gently caress it, our children are dead, our world has already ended, and so far nobody has given a gently caress. well we'll make you give a gently caress.

like. tell me the molochian virus furnace we're about to shovel 60 million children into isn't going to result in massive child death, cspam. tell me the next few months I see ahead of us is just me doom-braining. :smith:

everyone will shrug and move on again op