Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

huh.
Generations only exist for rich people?

You know anyone else that calls themselves "the third?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Ice Phisherman posted:

I expect empty platitudes from politicians and eventually some politician is going to get attacked by an angry parent. Perhaps shot or at least shot at. But I don't expect thousands of children to just get shuffled underneath the rug. As a mass we're pretty jaded but the personal tragedies are going to radicalize at least a few people towards violence.

Someone else said that nothing happened after Sandy Hook. I say that it's hard to retaliate against a lone wolf shooter. Even though there are communities that essentially mint new "lone wolves", though obviously not always. But decisions made by government that kill this many children? People already hate government and they have a wide variety of targets to choose from. Also the dead at Sandy Hook were 27 children. The dead will likely number in the thousands. So this will become a numbers game.

So you have many potential targets of an identifiable group of people in government and far more aggrieved people who will possible be radicalized or who are already radicalized. And radicalization happens a lot easier now that people are more often stuck at home with access to the internet.

I expect violence against people in government.

they're going to drown in individual guilt and maybe go to support groups that will get a bump in funding about 1/1000th of a tax cut to the credit card industry

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
I like how the CDC is only just now going "uuhh, maybe get booster shots" but then politicians get covid and they're like "lol this won't kill me, I got my third shot like a month ago. ignorant plebs"

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Ice Phisherman posted:

I expect empty platitudes from politicians and eventually some politician is going to get attacked by an angry parent. Perhaps shot or at least shot at. But I don't expect thousands of children to just get shuffled underneath the rug. As a mass we're pretty jaded but the personal tragedies are going to radicalize at least a few people towards violence.

Someone else said that nothing happened after Sandy Hook. I say that it's hard to retaliate against a lone wolf shooter. Even though there are communities that essentially mint new "lone wolves", though obviously not always. But decisions made by government that kill this many children? People already hate government and they have a wide variety of targets to choose from. Also the dead at Sandy Hook were 27 children. The dead will likely number in the thousands. So this will become a numbers game.

So you have many potential targets of an identifiable group of people in government and far more aggrieved people who will possible be radicalized or who are already radicalized. And radicalization happens a lot easier now that people are more often stuck at home with access to the internet.

For reasons that don't make sense to any sane person, the only violence will be far right groups targeting democrats who dare try and impose mask mandates or vaccine requirements. The people actually trying to save kids will be threatened or attacked by the parents of the children they're trying to help. No it doesn't make any sense.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ice Phisherman posted:

oh you sweet summer child, thousands of toddlers are going to die and not a single thing will be done, nobody will be punished. nobody will be brought to justice. there will be no singularity, no straw that breaks any proverbial camel's back. things will just get worse, as they always do, and we will keep taking our punishment like the pathetic, subjugated underclass we are. wages will not rise. there will be no more stimulus. there will be no justice. yes, thousands of children will be shuffled underneath the rug and if there is any violence it will be against the innocent, like usual.

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

Solarin posted:

lol the Biden admin is responsible for so many deaths

yeah its a recurring crack ping when I consider absolutely nothing has been done for 2 months while this all played out

tweets were made i suppose

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Imagine for a moment, that in 10 years anybody will remember 9/11

I think emergency services is stylized “911”

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

if you want to get pedantic about it you need at least two planes to even have one 9/11

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

SpaceDrake posted:

what happens after the biggest child mortality crisis in this country in more than a century

trump

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

empty whippet box posted:

oh you sweet summer child, thousands of toddlers are going to die and not a single thing will be done, nobody will be punished. nobody will be brought to justice. there will be no singularity, no straw that breaks any proverbial camel's back. things will just get worse, as they always do, and we will keep taking our punishment like the pathetic, subjugated underclass we are. wages will not rise. there will be no more stimulus. there will be no justice. yes, thousands of children will be shuffled underneath the rug and if there is any violence it will be against the innocent, like usual.

We had an entire summer of protests and riots last year due to the straw that broke the camel's back. It was a rare event but those kinds of events have happened in the past. This was just the biggest since the civil rights era.

Each bad thing that happens to people is another roll of the dice. Another match struck and flung at a puddle of gasoline. Maybe nothing happens. In fact most of the time nothing that most people would notice would happen. But it's a numbers game. And in heightened times of stress, fear and anger, each roll could come up poor, each match catch the oil on fire. You're playing the numbers and rolling those dice a lot. So not only might you have bad consequences but those bad consequences could feed into one another.

I remember The Tale of Two cities. A wealth noble, a marquis, runs over a boy in his carriage and kills him. The father, Gaspard, approaches and has a coin flipped to him which is considered due payment by the uncaring noble. The father flings at at his back.

Later, the marquis is assassinated by the father. The father is caught a year later and hanged. Revolutionaries react to the hanging and burn down the marquis' old chateau is burned to the ground. The officers at the royal garrison can only watch because the enlisted men would probably not obey orders. Paralysis ensues and it is that kind of paralysis that really finished off a nation in crisis.

In a healthy society, the above wouldn't happen. But in the story they don't live in a healthy society. They live in a society that was pre-revolutionary because it was sick.

America is a deeply sick society. Thousands of coins are going to be flung at thousands of parents in the very near future. Except they won't even be coins. They'll be empty words and fake tears. And it may not pop off because of kids. Just someone else who died.

So you may be right. That is the wisdom of what used to be normal or at least what used to feel normal. But things have obviously changed. We're now in post-normal times and we're never going back. So you may be wrong because your cynicism is of what used to be/feel normal and maybe we'll just suck it up. Maybe we won't. I have no idea what normal actually is anymore. So we'll see what happens.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Aug 19, 2021

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Chard posted:

is the communication improvement between 3m 6300 vs secure click worth upgrading, or better question, how did you decide it was?

With my 6x and 7x series I honestly didn't even bother talking through it. I have no issues with the hf803.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
The Secure Click voice diaphragm is legit great. I just got mine and it's definitely more comfy than my 6200-series.

Having said that, is there anything I can do about the exhalation valve buzzing when I talk? It's most likely just my lower voice since my spouse had no problems with it and I don't think there's anything wrong with the mask itself.

I tried inserting a light piece of foam against the valve but that only made the whole mask vibrate when speaking and did not dampen the buzz at all.

Jeff Fatwood fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Aug 19, 2021

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Blaziken386 posted:

I like how the CDC is only just now going "uuhh, maybe get booster shots" but then politicians get covid and they're like "lol this won't kill me, I got my third shot like a month ago. ignorant plebs"

Abbott is Max Titers

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Also libs in D&D are stupider than Republican politicians

That is why they will always lose, even when their team wins

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

Mola Yam posted:

america

suck poo poo you dumb assholes

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

god blast america

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
100k dead kids is pretty insane, but 5k dead kids isn't as crazy. as a note: on average, 3k 1-4 year olds die each year and 5k 5-14 year olds die each year

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Jeff Fatwood posted:

The Secure Click voice diaphragm is legit great. I just got mine and it's definitely more comfy than my 600-series.

Having said that, is there anything I can do about the exhalation valve buzzing when I talk? It's most likely just my lower voice since my spouse had no problems with it and I don't think there's anything wrong with the mask itself.

I tried inserting a light piece of foam against the valve but that only made the whole mask vibrate when speaking and did not dampen the buzz at all.

I dunno, the mask tolerances might be slightly off the more I'm examining it. The mask buzzes very annoyingly when I talk. Seal check works fine. I might have to ask about a warranty replacement.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Kunabomber posted:

"Shut the gently caress up millenial, at least you had WATER COMING OUT OF A TAP when you graduated"

Laughs in fracking caused my tap water to catch on fire

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Hadlock posted:

Laughs in fracking caused my tap water to catch on fire

Clear proof of living standards going up

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Palladium posted:

Clear proof of living standards going up

Laughs in lived in a one bedroom apartment until my mid 30s

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Hadlock posted:

Laughs in lived in a one bedroom apartment until my mid 30s

I just bought my "dream" one bedroom apartment for $440,000 and I'm 41.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lenin Stimpy posted:

Yep, here's a discussion with Eric Topol on that (on MedCram):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haG1yKJVVAw&t=411s

Start at 6:51

A little before five minutes: “I think, to your question, that it was because we had a vaccine‐centric strategy. That would have worked, and we would have full containment now, but then came Delta”

LOL good one.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Asproigerosis posted:

Yeah there are stringent requirements for using n95s (annual fit testing and medical clearance) all mandated by OSHA regulation. Frankly I'm not sure how they could deny someone using it in an work activity that doesn't require it and thus not subject to OSHA regs. It's not like meeting the requirements would be difficult, it's just that they most certainly don't have any experience in doing it and the paradoxical liability of trying to figure it out and failing at it instead of just giving you no protection and letting you die to roni.

It's why there was such a stupid crisis early on where hospitals were refusing to allow staff to use their own masks or respirators. The letter of the law with OSHA is that it has to be supplied by the employer so they'd rather risk you getting covid from lack of ppe on their part than risk running afoul of OSHA by letting you use your own.

Oh great, employer.

So can I get it in writing that my work does not involve entry into an environment hazardous to respiratory health?

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Got a response back from my email to the superintendent of my kids school district:

Here's Addendum 11 for CT DOE, for reference:

Last updated August 2020. I'm making my kid go in surgical +kf94 combo and hope the latter supply lasts until the school goes into quarantine

LOLing that all of the negatives of N95s except “supply chain issues” (in August of 2020) also apply to KN95s.

Supply chain issues can’t do poo poo to my fire safe full of N95s.

Meanwhile, in the Southern Hemisphere…

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Aug 19, 2021

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Jeff Fatwood posted:

I dunno, the mask tolerances might be slightly off the more I'm examining it. The mask buzzes very annoyingly when I talk. Seal check works fine. I might have to ask about a warranty replacement.

Mine does the same and I also have a rather deep voice. I actually like it, I sound like there's a purring cat in the mask when I talk.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I just bought my "dream" one bedroom apartment for $440,000 and I'm 41.

Yeah buddy

By the time you're 50 maybe you can afford to upgrade your coffee table from an empty Amazon box :hf: work it

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Also libs in D&D are stupider than Republican politicians

That is why they will always lose, even when their team wins

lol

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mastershakeman posted:

My friends school announced that mouthpieces on brass instruments count as masks so they can have full band practice (safely)

His wife reported them to the state board of education in hopes the school gets stripped of accreditation

Lazy fucks couldn't even be bothered to make the stupid tokenistic concessions that had already been agreed upon. From the previous thread:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I was curious about how masks with mouth slits cut into them could possibly fly in schools so I googled it

https://www.nfhs.org/articles/third-round-of-performing-arts-aerosol-study-produces-more-scientific-data-for-return-to-activities/

quote:

Third Round of Performing Arts Aerosol Study Produces More Scientific Data for Return to Activities
[...]
Among the key findings in the most recent results – which focused on the distribution of respiratory aerosol generated while playing wind instruments, singing, acting, speaking and dancing – was that if music participants wear surgical-style masks with a slit for the mouthpiece, and use an appropriate bell cover, that aerosol emission is reduced between 60 and 90 percent.

:doh:

There are, of course, a whole range of these masks and premade bell covers currently available on Amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com/Gator-Double-Layer-Magnetized-Performance-GBOM-SMALLBK/dp/B08H5X73DK

quote:

Made to Meet the Recommendations Set Forth by the NFHS’ Performing Arts Aerosol Study

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

tuo posted:

Mine does the same and I also have a rather deep voice. I actually like it, I sound like there's a purring cat in the mask when I talk.

I wish it sounded like a purring cat lol. I definitely noticed that the mask does boost some frequencies naturally but the sound I'm talking about is more like the exhalation valve flapping against the plastic. I don't know if there's anything I can do since it seems to love doing it at the specific tones I speak in.

I guess I'll wait and see a while if I can get used to it. Not gonna take it outside though until I figure out what I do.

I don't know what's up with the filters I got with it either since they looked slightly dirty and came in a clear plastic bag. I'm already paranoid enough about masks. :shepface:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Schnorkles posted:

The answer to "I have symptoms that vaguely look like COVID, what do?"

is always "act like you do and get tested until proven otherwise" because its everywhere right now and we're not monsters itt

Just want to jump on this and mention my supervising physician was bitching about one of my anti vax coworkers coming into the office with symptoms because she didn’t think it was Covid.

“What the gently caress else did she think it is? There’s NOTHING else to catch right now!”

With the exception of like RSV Covid is basically the only disease in town right now.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Jeff Fatwood posted:

I guess I'll wait and see a while if I can get used to it. Not gonna take it outside though until I figure out what I do.

The resonation definitely changes on mine too depending on the pitch. At some, it's a little bit unnerving, yeah.

Just scream in a high-pitched voice. Fits the current times well, I think.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/integrityact/status/1428043170172919810?s=21

Regeneron fell yesterday but this is still LOL

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1428295737339748358?s=21

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

For looks like 3rd shot was like the 2nd booster shot.

Got the 3rd shot at around 1100 and by the evening had all the standard barf bag / flu like side effects (Chills, aches and nausea)

Great that this will be a once a year experience going forward!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

etalian posted:

For looks like 3rd shot was like the 2nd booster shot.

Got the 3rd shot at around 1100 and by the evening had all the standard barf bag / flu like side effects (Chills, aches and nausea)

Great that this will be a once a year experience going forward!

I’m gonna get off work Friday and go.

Good excuse to skip that string cheese concert friends wanted me to paddle board to

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

I’m gonna get off work Friday and go.

Good excuse to skip that string cheese concert friends wanted me to paddle board to

If anything Moderna seems faster acting for side effects than Pfizer.

I know for Pfizer dose 2, I didn't start to feel bad until the next day.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Jeff Fatwood posted:

I wish it sounded like a purring cat lol. I definitely noticed that the mask does boost some frequencies naturally but the sound I'm talking about is more like the exhalation valve flapping against the plastic. I don't know if there's anything I can do since it seems to love doing it at the specific tones I speak in.

I don't know what's up with the filters I got with it either since they looked slightly dirty and came in a clear plastic bag. I'm already paranoid enough about masks. :shepface:

I wonder if drum dampening gel (or tape) would help. Guess it depends on what part is resonating and also if loving with it would compromise the mask somehow.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Solarin posted:

I wonder if drum dampening gel (or tape) would help. Guess it depends on what part is resonating and also if loving with it would compromise the mask somehow.

Maybe it could. I was looking at parts where I could strategically place tape but it's too janky of a solution for a new product. I tried a bigger piece of foam just in between the plastic parts of the mask but that had the same effect of just turning the whole mask in to a vibrating piece :lmao: Zero dampening

The whole order just seems sketchy. The mask's box is beaten up, seems like it has been opened prior (the locking cardboard flap was folded inside instead of locked into the top cover) and the filters just look scuffed even though the plastic bag was sealed.

Still within return period and terms don't seem to say anything about masks not being applicable so probably just return. Too sketched to trust it.

My 6202QL is working fine even though I hate how much it muffles my voice so no big loss other than the opened filters and return shipping.

edit. important notice. Does a new mask come inside the white plastic bag? This video has the bag folded inside. My mask came inside the bag within the beat up box. :psyduck: Did they ship me a customer return?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk_M8fGZBiw&t=104s

Jeff Fatwood fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Aug 19, 2021

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Mine also came inside the bag

e: I have a secureclick, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Secureclick cartridges should be in a shrink-wrapped pack. 5/6/7000 series P100 filters are in a sealed bag.