Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Am I missing something regarding building influence? I'm making about a thousand a turn, and I think over the course of the game, I have only ever earned a single aesthete star.

Like, the merchant stars seem out of reach, too, but at least I can sort of eyeball the money-making bonuses and decide "yes, this is doable".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Perestroika posted:

I do wish the other players were named by their avatar name rather than their current culture, or perhaps a combination of the two. It can be a bit annoying shortly after an era change to read "The English do this and that" and having to look up who the hell the English used to be and whether you should hate them.

At the same time in the list other players are identified by their symbol and color. Even if you hover over them you won't know which one is Goth till you click.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Always hate the English.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Dunno if this is a bug or just that I don't understand the game, but why no empire wide science here? This is the turn after adding max number of pops to work on science. All techs say they will take an infinite number of turns to complete.
Same thing for Money, production and food work as I'd expect.

Dirty Frank fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Aug 19, 2021

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Dirty Frank posted:

Dunno if this is a bug or just that I don't understand the game, but why no empire wide science here? This is the turn after adding max number of pops to work on science. All techs say they will take an infinite number of turns to complete.
Same thing for Money, production and food work as I'd expect.

Look at the upper left. You're running your civ unique ability on that city that's converting it all to industry it looks like.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Fhqwhgads posted:

Look at the upper left. You're running your civ unique ability on that city that's converting it all to industry it looks like.

Ahhhh, thank you, I clicked that without knowing what it did, I do have mad production tho

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Jeza posted:

The first culture I met was Nubians, who are traders, and they just instantly suck up every strategic and luxury resource I get the moment I start exploiting it for a pittance. Yet the reverse is many times more expensive. I think I'll probably be more careful about opening trade rights next time.

That's all sorts of great - a smart, gamified mechanic that reflects the real world. It gives a nice edge to traders.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Jeza posted:

The first culture I met was Nubians, who are traders, and they just instantly suck up every strategic and luxury resource I get the moment I start exploiting it for a pittance. Yet the reverse is many times more expensive. I think I'll probably be more careful about opening trade rights next time.

As far as I can tell, trading luxuries or strategic resources away lets you keep it, it just grants a copy of that resource to the buyer. From the perspective of the seller, it’s essentially free money with no downside, unless you’re trying to embargo a player so they’re starved of a particular resource for whatever reason.

Some cultures can apparently also “pass along” a bought trade good to third parties, creating a chain of duplicated resources, which is kinda cool.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i have a question - how exactly are you supposed to defend your outposts/territories that are attached to cities

in one game i had just two cities but a ton of outposts attached to them, and then an enemy went to war against me and just went around ransacking all of them completely removing all my territory. oops

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Your Computer posted:

i have a question - how exactly are you supposed to defend your outposts/territories that are attached to cities

in one game i had just two cities but a ton of outposts attached to them, and then an enemy went to war against me and just went around ransacking all of them completely removing all my territory. oops

Did you... have an army?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Really enjoying this game and the way it encourages you to adapt to changing circumstances instead of sticking to a path you choose early. I also enjoy the way conflict is handled and it seems like I'm always having little border skirmishes without going full war footing all the time.

Playing 10 players on the "large" map has been fun for there always being stuff going on.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Your Computer posted:

Send your army out to punch them in the face, or wait until they attack your actual city to hit them from a defensive position.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Did you... have an army?
not a very impressive one to be quite honest

i guess i mean like, with cities you have the whole siege thing and fortifications and reinforcements and stuff. with the outposts i guess you just need enough nearby military units to play the ol' whack-a-mole as they run up try to ransack? i am absolutely terrible at these games, so i'm just wondering if there are some smart things you can do like placing a garrison near every outpost or something like that

genuinely also kinda unsure how to keep a standing army and what it should be composed of

vvv you know what that's fair vvv

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Your Computer posted:

Yeah, that's kind of how war actually worked back then. Motherfuckers ransacking the poo poo out of the countryside and smaller towns while those lucky enough to live in a big city watched in horror from behind tall walls.

If you don't like your countryside ransacked, own an army.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

There's unit spawners (can't recall the building name offhand, check the nationopedia) you can build anywhere in your territory, techs that build roads, and later of course stuff like air power and artillery.

Early on expect to defend your outposts manually, especially if you can tell a nearby neighbor isn't going to be friendly - you can build forts either near the outpost or near choke points.

Also general note, if you check your game folder there's a nice pdf version of the unit poster that came with the physical version.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Outposts can be moved, so to start with you can have them close your city, inside a mountain pass etc, with a few units in them to defend and you can move them later before you turn them into cities.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Veryslightlymad posted:

Had anyone gotten the expansionist ability to actually work? It doesn't let me target things, annex things or even give me an error message.

It worked as advertised for me.

This game is pretty good, it's doing a lot of interesting and well-designed things with the formula but... the gameplay of building specialized tiles that reinforce the similar ones around them just isn't for me. I really don't like the way 4X games scale at all, they're pretty much only enjoyable to me with less players but some of the screws come lose if you scale it down. I basically get bored around the midgame because there's just too much poo poo to manage and worry about.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Danann posted:

So uh you might want to make sure to not put too many planes in a squadron unless you want exponential upkeep out of nowhere.

Nice, I got the same bug. For me it cost 96k per turn to have 8 fighters in the same squadron.

I've finished 2 games so far and there are some really weird bugs, in my latest game all my military units suddenly turned permanently invisible for example. Overall I like the game but there are some super annoying things. For example why does the trade screen pop up all the loving time? Drives me nuts.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The "New World" map type features an "empty" continent for everyone to colonize. Extremely not cool.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

How do I give some loving nowhere territory to Huns? I didn't realize outposting it annoys the gently caress out of motherfucking huns with their warp speed horse archers who just gently caress up everything. I want to get rid of the outpost ASAP and give it to the huns. Huns demand the outpost but I have no idea how to actually give it to them, help

Edit: I can "liberate" it from the outpost tab so Huns can just do whatever the gently caress they want with it.. and they don't have to own my rear end personally. Those horse archers are loving murder machines, hell let loose on earth.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 19, 2021

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Ihmemies posted:

How do I give some loving nowhere territory to Huns? I didn't realize outposting it annoys the gently caress out of motherfucking huns with their warp speed horse archers who just gently caress up everything. I want to get rid of the outpost ASAP and give it to the huns. Huns demand the outpost but I have no idea how to actually give it to them, help

Edit: I can "liberate" it from the outpost tab so Huns can just do whatever the gently caress they want with it.. and they don't have to own my rear end personally. Those horse archers are loving murder machines, hell let loose on earth.

can you see the demand in the diplomacy tab? I think it should be in Crisis and just give in?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The "New World" map type features an "empty" continent for everyone to colonize. Extremely not cool.

It’s a very unfortunate name, but it was also used in civ v and civ vi’s mapgen options for the same concept, I think. Regardless, it’s a fun map type, they should rename it to “uninhabited continent” and keep it

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I remember when I was a kid and played Civ1 and met Aztecs and Zulus. Then I was puzzled: I thought those colonized people were represented by barbarians. Who are those barbarians then?

It's still an uneasy distinction in many historical strategy games. Civ5/6 at least uses city-states to represent multitude of people. But it still has those mysterious barbarians. From what I understand Humankind only has warlike... whatever they're called. City-states? It's certainly a better approach than having berserk hordes.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Late-game barbarians in civ appear to have graphics reminiscent of insurgents, and they can be spawned by low happiness/amenities or by subversive actions by spies. I think barbarians are a placeholder for all sorts of bandits, brigands, deserters, insurgents etc. Who are a nuisance (as opposed to “uncivilized peoples”) but the game mechanics certainly oscillate between barbarians/clans of “uncivilized” folks and less loaded representations of unaligned armed groups.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Civ games have always had strong nationalistic vibes to them, just by the virtue of it being possible to "win" at being a nation. The idea of nuking a foreign nation to stop them from launching a rocket to the moon is insane but is practically encouraged by the game. For all of their pretentions this trend still holds with Humankind, but at least here the only "barbarians" that I felt required to kill were full on city states later in the game or literal bears.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I've encountered a bug multiple times where my army that takes a city becomes invisible on the map and I need to click around for it and then move the units out of the army and reform it for it to be visible again.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Thom12255 posted:

I've encountered a bug multiple times where my army that takes a city becomes invisible on the map and I need to click around for it and then move the units out of the army and reform it for it to be visible again.

Can you select them through the army list in the top right corner of the UI?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Isn't it only empty of major civilisations, meaning it's full of minor civs? I haven't seen too far into the game yet.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Gort posted:

Isn't it only empty of major civilisations, meaning it's full of minor civs? I haven't seen too far into the game yet.

Yea I'm sure the "New World" is full of "independent people" for you to subjugate or assimilate depending onw what you want to do. If you want a "new world" with civs on it, you can just choose 2 continents and the game will split the civs between the two continents so you won't see the other half of civs until you get the tech to cross the ocean.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
hey what's the deal with the difficulty level of the ai personas

i've noticed that almost all of them are "expert" or "advanced" but it's not like you can change that (despite there being a "change settings for this competitor" menu) or have multiple of the same ai so..... is it all just meaningless? i mean you choose a difficulty separate from them anyway when you start a new game

e: also how is the ai rushing harappans before like turn 5 in every single game

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 19, 2021

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I just learned that fighting a battle on a city turns off your building progress for the turn. My soldiers killed a bear outside the city so hard they freaked out my builders on the other side of town.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Brandfarlig posted:

I just learned that fighting a battle on a city turns off your building progress for the turn. My soldiers killed a bear outside the city so hard they freaked out my builders on the other side of town.

Had to use all three people living in the city the size of Chicago to drag the bear meat back to the city.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005
Had a fun but frustrating game. A poo poo start where I put my capital in the middle of continent because it was only unclaimed fertile land left. This meant being surrounded by other civilizations. Celts put an outpost right next to my capital and that started causing friction. They were stealing my populations and eyed my luxury resources and one outpost. Well, this will lead to war sooner or later I thought and I formed alliances will Greek and Olmecs thinking they'd have my back.

Then the Celts declared war and started besieging my capital. I fought off long as gently caress two sieges, destroyed their outpost next to my capital but still they could send armies in a constant stream. Meanwhile I, having only one city, the capital, couldn't build up armies to cover for my losses.

And those allies? Never came to my help. I even demanded that they'd declare war on Celts but nothing. We could have easily steamrolled them. I wonder if this is just poo poo AI that doesn't respect deals we've made or am I missing some deeper game mechanics here?

Anyway, the third siege was success for Celts and my capital fell and got game over. Funnily the game said, thanks to my victories, that I was close to winning the war right to the end.

The game seems good and the battle system is light years ahead of Civ V. But I think I'll wait for more patches before playing again, there's a lot of potential here.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Your Computer posted:

hey what's the deal with the difficulty level of the ai personas

i've noticed that almost all of them are "expert" or "advanced" but it's not like you can change that (despite there being a "change settings for this competitor" menu) or have multiple of the same ai so..... is it all just meaningless? i mean you choose a difficulty separate from them anyway when you start a new game

e: also how is the ai rushing harappans before like turn 5 in every single game

They get various bonuses regardless of difficulty and the "expert" and "advanced" are supposed to correlate to how good the bonuses are. You can give your own avatar these and you're supposed to be able to play against other people's avatars but the implementation isn't even done yet and it's just some half-assed afterthought system.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

War and threat is weird in this, you have to really fight for a reason to declare. You can demand an ally join a war, but if they don't it mostly just builds grievances against them, and I wonder if the AI is smart enough to go "so what, are you going to open up a two fronted war because I won't join yours? Not likely". Alliances are mostly for the trade bonuses and by acting as a super duper non aggression pact

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I've googled, can't seem to find an answer: can I name my avatar? Because I can't seem to and even under new games it says " 's game" so I assume I should be able to?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Veryslightlymad posted:

Am I missing something regarding building influence? I'm making about a thousand a turn, and I think over the course of the game, I have only ever earned a single aesthete star.

Like, the merchant stars seem out of reach, too, but at least I can sort of eyeball the money-making bonuses and decide "yes, this is doable".

I got plenty over the course of the one full game I've played. I never focused on influence production but I'd generally get at least one star, usually one of the last stars to get me to the era upgrade, but I'd got at least one most eras. I don't think I saw a money star, but then I focused even less on money except to maintain my crusading armies. I went full faith and military.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Is influence a mechanic that's supposed to be key early then irrelevant later? Once territory's mostly been claimed there doesn't seem to be anything to do with it. Only time I see it used is to claim wonders, but I have like 10k banked at that point so who gives a poo poo.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
You can spend huge amounts of it to merge your cities but it just makes them worse so I'm not sure why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah, I did see the city merge but like you say, I don't see what the point of that is.