Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Kids who aren't old enough for school, how are you handling socializing in this day and age? We only have one child, 2 years old. He has some family an hour away. He spends weeks with just 3 adults. I can tell when we go to parks he wants to play with other kids.

What are my options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Kids who aren't old enough for school, how are you handling socializing in this day and age? We only have one child, 2 years old. He has some family an hour away. He spends weeks with just 3 adults. I can tell when we go to parks he wants to play with other kids.

What are my options?

My daughter is about the same age, she’ll be two in September. My wife has had a lot of success with the Peanut app (“mommy tinder”) to meet similar moms and kids, and filter for people who take COVID seriously. We’ve found a couple go-to friends for setting up ad hoc play dates. It’s been a life saver since socializing is so much harder now.

If you’re a dad though I honestly have no idea. Peanut and similar resources are super mom centric.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Kolodny posted:

My daughter is about the same age, she’ll be two in September. My wife has had a lot of success with the Peanut app (“mommy tinder”) to meet similar moms and kids, and filter for people who take COVID seriously. We’ve found a couple go-to friends for setting up ad hoc play dates. It’s been a life saver since socializing is so much harder now.

If you’re a dad though I honestly have no idea. Peanut and similar resources are super mom centric.

Peanut is loving awesome. My wife and I found another mixed race couple (I'm white she's Chinese, same as the other couple) with a son that's a month younger than our daughter. We've hung out a number of times and it's pretty cool when you meet other parents with a kid hitting the same milestones yours is.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Elementary school kids are super entertaining. Now that my 7.5 year old is a solid reader, she can play basically any board game. She has insightful but innocent questions about anything and everything. I’ve started introducing her to books I loved as a kid, and we can have conversations about them! It’s pretty great.

She even sorta-cooks and sorta cleans up after herself. Gives herself a SHOWER! ALONE!!!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I need some new good resources for dinner recipes, my kids now won’t eat anything I make other than pasta and it doesn’t seem sustainable.

2 of the 3 basically refuse anything for dinner and then give the “I’m hungry “ thing just before bedtime and it drives me nuts. My wife is like whatever and gives them some crackers but these bad eating habits are worrisome.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Fozzy The Bear posted:

What are my options?

My two year old is in daycare two days a week for A. Socialization B. She has fun C. Mommy needs a break sometimes.

When she’s not in daycare we go to the playground by our house almost every day and sometimes there are other kids her age there, and since they’re in a stranger danger phase they mostly just look at each other, maybe interact from a distance.

Do you have any local family/ childhood education programs or a community education program? I have a couple people who I met through early child education with kids the same age who have become good friends, and our kids play together.

Do you have any coworkers with kids around the same age? Play dates with people who are acquaintances usually aren’t too awkward with toddlers because you’re interacting with the kids most of the time.

Koivunen fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 19, 2021

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

priznat posted:

I need some new good resources for dinner recipes, my kids now won’t eat anything I make other than pasta and it doesn’t seem sustainable.

2 of the 3 basically refuse anything for dinner and then give the “I’m hungry “ thing just before bedtime and it drives me nuts. My wife is like whatever and gives them some crackers but these bad eating habits are worrisome.

Same with my oldest. He used to eat anything like a loving billy goat. Now he whines and moans if it’s something he doesn’t want (something that isn’t cheez-its or goldfish or whatever). We have dinner at 6 most nights and he will without fail come up to us at 5:15 saying he’s soooooo hungry and when we put food in front of him, he scoffs and says he’s all done, then gets up multiple times and comes back to graze. Or he eats literally nothing and has a poo poo fit until bedtime, and then says he’s hungry. My wife also breaks down and gives him something. I usually don’t agree with that and we warn him he will be hungry if he doesn’t eat, but now thanks to Mommy he’s learned that there are no consequences if he decides he won’t eat because he doesn’t like whatever it is.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

priznat posted:

.... but these bad eating habits are worrisome.

I survived on mostly Kraft Mac and cheese + red Barron personal size deep dish microwave pizzas from about 3 to 14 and ended up the tallest kid in 5th grade

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Hadlock posted:

I survived on mostly Kraft Mac and cheese + red Barron personal size deep dish microwave pizzas from about 3 to 14 and ended up the tallest kid in 5th grade

Yeah I'm probably a bit too concerned about getting healthy food in them but then genetics are gonna genetic anyway I guess.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Tonight was amazing for dinner. We just handed the 15mo half my sandwich and he just ate it. No complaints. Minimal food throwing. He did rip it in half again and eat each half separately but that is still SOOO nice compared to the last few days. I had to clean bacon grease and Mac and cheese off the ceiling yesterday after dinner.

I wish I knew what changed between yesterday and today so I could replicate today's dinner again.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

priznat posted:

Yeah I'm probably a bit too concerned about getting healthy food in them but then genetics are gonna genetic anyway I guess.

To be fair, to this day I don't eat salad, we came this close >.< to not serving salad at our wedding (instead this super tasty, you guessed it, pasta - tortellini) but I caved at the last moment

So there's probably some value in force feeding them nasty rear end plant leaves with little to no dietary value (I've definitely not been influenced by my early diet) soaked in salad dressing

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

L0cke17 posted:

I wish I knew what changed between yesterday and today so I could replicate today's dinner again.
Don’t even bother, we all know that if you try to offer a sandwich tomorrow he’ll scream as if you were serving him worms. Just be grateful that you had a single easy meal.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

remigious posted:

I’m doing baby-led weaning (which basically means no purées, just set food in front of him and let him feed himself) with my 7 month old and he loves banana, steamed sweet potato, watermelon, and toast. Basically just try food in strips so he can grab it.

Yeah banana and avocado are both good. At first we would give him a quarter avocado with the skin on to help him grip it, but now he just shovels chunks into his mouth with his hands.

Also fruit. Ripe (soft) peach, plum or pear work well cut up. Blueberries are also good, but either cut them in half or squish them so they're not a choking hazard.

For protein, fresh salmon flaked up works well. Also egg and tofu.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Thanks for telling me about Peanut, goons! Just signed up and am hopeful I'll finally make some mom friends in Barcelona.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

When do babies get better at sleeping on their backs? She is 3 months as of yesterday. Last night was probably one of the most miserable nights I've had since the first week she was born. Tried to put her to bed around 8:30, screaming etc until 1 am, slept 1 to 5, woke to nurse but now refuses to get back in her basinette. Every time I put her down in it she could be dead to the world, floppy armed asleep on me or in my arms, and then shakes herself back awake between 5-10 minutes later if not sooner. I feel helpless and like I don't know how to do this at all.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

hallo spacedog posted:

When do babies get better at sleeping on their backs? She is 3 months as of yesterday. Last night was probably one of the most miserable nights I've had since the first week she was born. Tried to put her to bed around 8:30, screaming etc until 1 am, slept 1 to 5, woke to nurse but now refuses to get back in her basinette. Every time I put her down in it she could be dead to the world, floppy armed asleep on me or in my arms, and then shakes herself back awake between 5-10 minutes later if not sooner. I feel helpless and like I don't know how to do this at all.

Give yourself a break and cosleep? You don’t have to make it a regular thing, one night won’t hurt regular sleeping habits you’re trying to instill, and you both might get a bit of sleep. Try again the next night.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

ngl I loved when our babies got good/strong enough at rolling over that they would then immediately do it upon being set down on their backs and would sleep waaaaay better

Aryoc
Nov 27, 2006

:black101: Goblin King :black101:
Grimey Drawer

hallo spacedog posted:

I've had a very similar experience (baby fully wakes up as soon as she makes contact with the crib), it changed once she learned to roll over well and could decide by herself how to sleep. I don't remember when that was anymore, just that eventually we got over that period. So just have patience, there's no trick to it unfortunately.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

BadSamaritan posted:

ngl I loved when our babies got good/strong enough at rolling over that they would then immediately do it upon being set down on their backs and would sleep waaaaay better

My kid slept fine on his back and when he learned to roll over he would immediately do it and then get extremely pissed off that he wasn’t strong enough to roll back.

So we had about a month of “set down on back, baby flips over, cries like sad Turtle” until he gained the ability to roll from front to back.

Now he sleeps almost exclusively on his stomach.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

This is a pretty good article. At least it makes you feel less alone:https://www.scarymommy.com/school-fear-moms-not-okay/?fbclid=IwAR0Hwe7mD6ZBDHV88hacpV5m_xh2XW_GDV7wdjth-g9smsxahxXxHylKbrY

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

BadSamaritan posted:

We are also looking forward to this. Our baby girl is soooooo close, she can just go on her side right now, but she just has to get past her own arm to go all the way

Our son did that and never really got better at sleep but I seem to remember he went to sleep quicker when he could roll over and tuck his legs up underneath him. I don’t know how young children sleep like that.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

life is killing me posted:

Our son did that and never really got better at sleep but I seem to remember he went to sleep quicker when he could roll over and tuck his legs up underneath him. I don’t know how young children sleep like that.

It's the cutest poo poo ever. I remember reading that it's basically womb position which is why it's so comfortable.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

So we're lucky in that our kids are still in day care. Not thrilled, but if we don't then we don't work. It's way more isolated than school proper though, and since it's not state-run they get to control their policies, so it's better in that respect.

That said, I'd love nothing more than to feel utterly alone about being concerned about this. But instead, we all see and recognize the massive public health threat that returning to in-class learning poses, and we're all basically powerless to do anything about it because the decisions are being made by a bunch of loving idiots.

So no, I'd say that's a pretty godawful article.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah banana and avocado are both good. At first we would give him a quarter avocado with the skin on to help him grip it, but now he just shovels chunks into his mouth with his hands.

Also fruit. Ripe (soft) peach, plum or pear work well cut up. Blueberries are also good, but either cut them in half or squish them so they're not a choking hazard.

For protein, fresh salmon flaked up works well. Also egg and tofu.

Salmon and egg are usually no-go at daycare though. We got a politely worded but emphatically underlined note back in our day bag when we tried to send salmon lol.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Aryoc posted:

I've had a very similar experience (baby fully wakes up as soon as she makes contact with the crib), it changed once she learned to roll over well and could decide by herself how to sleep. I don't remember when that was anymore, just that eventually we got over that period. So just have patience, there's no trick to it unfortunately.

I'm really hoping this will be the case although I don't know how close she is to rolling over.

My mom, being of a much different generation, always just tells me they used to put us to sleep on our stomachs (as was the style at the time) and we were perfectly comfortable etc so not very helpful.

As tempting as it is to try co sleeping I am too scared of what can go wrong. So during the daytime hours I just try to let her nap on the nursing pillow if she wants to so at least she gets some sleep. I did manage to get her in the crib for 30 minutes earlier and took a short nap at that time and then my husband will help me get a nap in this afternoon when he gets home too.

Edit: question though, once the baby can flip over to her tummy if she does that is it safe to just let her sleep that way?

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 19, 2021

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

DaveSauce posted:

So no, I'd say that's a pretty godawful article.

There’s a particular brand of parenting thinkpiece that really tries to normalize pathological anxiety levels and this one does it. There’s a difference between being informed, worried, and involved about covid and school/daycare/workplace policies and the level that this article is trying to depict as normal for parents (and for moms in particular).

It’s a worrisome ongoing trend in mom-blog and parenting articles that existed and was already growing pre-covid. It encourages some pretty unhealthy attitudes and behaviors.

Like, it’s not cool or good to actually obsess (which is what they are depicting in that) or to totally bypass your needs to the detriment of your health, regardless of whether it’s in the context of covid or not.

I’m absolutely not saying that covid isn’t something to be concerned about and that a bunch of people in charge aren’t doing their best to gently caress things up to avoid upsetting a subset of idiots as opposed to acting in the best interests of their population. But I am saying that constantly playing a worst-case-scenario highlight reel in your head while chopping your organic vegetables (because your kid can’t touch an unclean prole vegetable) isn’t normal and healthy and shouldn’t be modeled as such.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

“We think about what picture they will use of our child if they are one of those 0.03% cases.”

This is actually not constructive or helpful thinking for anyone!

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

hallo spacedog posted:

I'm really hoping this will be the case although I don't know how close she is to rolling over.

My mom, being of a much different generation, always just tells me they used to put us to sleep on our stomachs (as was the style at the time) and we were perfectly comfortable etc so not very helpful.

As tempting as it is to try co sleeping I am too scared of what can go wrong. So during the daytime hours I just try to let her nap on the nursing pillow if she wants to so at least she gets some sleep. I did manage to get her in the crib for 30 minutes earlier and took a short nap at that time and then my husband will help me get a nap in this afternoon when he gets home too.

Edit: question though, once the baby can flip over to her tummy if she does that is it safe to just let her sleep that way?

Yes, once baby can roll over on their own, they are strong enough to roll themselves back if they need to, or turn their head.

My baby loves sleeping on her stomach as soon as she gets a chance to.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Nessa posted:

Yes, once baby can roll over on their own, they are strong enough to roll themselves back if they need to, or turn their head.

My baby loves sleeping on her stomach as soon as she gets a chance to.

Thanks, I feel very clueless sometimes so I appreciate that.
I'm really hoping that she gets there soon. She is sleeping on the positioner pillow right now while I watch her. If I can get her back to the crib again I will.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

Salmon and egg are usually no-go at daycare though. We got a politely worded but emphatically underlined note back in our day bag when we tried to send salmon lol.

I learned the other day that some kids have severe Kiwi fruit allergies after my son brought some to daycamp for snacks. I had no idea! Oddly the strawberries were fine. I have heard of strawberry allergies and would have thought they would be related.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

BadSamaritan posted:

There’s a particular brand of parenting thinkpiece that really tries to normalize pathological anxiety levels and this one does it. There’s a difference between being informed, worried, and involved about covid and school/daycare/workplace policies and the level that this article is trying to depict as normal for parents (and for moms in particular).

It’s a worrisome ongoing trend in mom-blog and parenting articles that existed and was already growing pre-covid. It encourages some pretty unhealthy attitudes and behaviors.

Like, it’s not cool or good to actually obsess (which is what they are depicting in that) or to totally bypass your needs to the detriment of your health, regardless of whether it’s in the context of covid or not.

I’m absolutely not saying that covid isn’t something to be concerned about and that a bunch of people in charge aren’t doing their best to gently caress things up to avoid upsetting a subset of idiots as opposed to acting in the best interests of their population. But I am saying that constantly playing a worst-case-scenario highlight reel in your head while chopping your organic vegetables (because your kid can’t touch an unclean prole vegetable) isn’t normal and healthy and shouldn’t be modeled as such.

You know I didn't even think about it from that angle, but it does make more sense now that I think about. For me in particular, I'm mad that this is being forced on us, but also mad that this article is normalizing the whole "we're all concerned about this situation but lmao we can't do much about it :shrug:"

I mean, I wasn't exactly thinking about the anxiety/obsession part of it, because honestly I dismissed it as being overdramatic. But that's even worse, because I'm sure there are many people who actually do feel that way, and it's not OK for them to read mommy blogs and think that it's normal.

Mainly I was using it as an excuse to vent about it all. Because honestly if you think things are bad now, just wait a few weeks as more schools around the nation to open up... I'm not specifically concerned about my kids becoming a statistic (though who hasn't had the occasional "what if" thought), but more annoyed that we have to keep going through this over and over because of a bunch of selfish people.

We had to RSVP "no" to a 4th birthday party last weekend for a classmate of our daughter, and we're going to have to do it again for an invite we got yesterday for a party a month from now. Last weekend's party was outdoors, and we still said no on account of the delta variant. Next month's is indoors, so that's a hard no unless things miraculously improve (spoiler: they won't).

This is just getting tiresome. We've been getting by easy in that we've been able to send our kids to day care throughout, but this shouldn't even be a conversation anymore.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
If you've had a child in daycare prior to 2020 they probably got all types of respiratory illnesses. If you've had one in daycare for the past three months they probably had RSV. You know, the constant, endless colds and runny noses? How did your kid do with those? If "fine", they'll probably also be "fine" if (when) they catch COVID.

That's not to be dismissive of COVID--dear lord please take it seriously and follow basic precautions including vaccination for anyone in your household eligible (if available) and masking when practical--but at the end of the day we can only control what we can control and you may not have many options with regard to your kids and daycare.

If your child doesn't do well with respiratory illnesses and has suffered from bronchilolitis in the past, that's when I'd be particularly worried about COVID. Our son was hospitalized with RSV in 2019 shortly before the COVID pandemic hit, and when RSV hit this past spring he had some borderline episodes again. I'm worried about how COVID might affect him. We may have to pull him from daycare and get creative with childcare if (when) cases get bad in our area again. If nothing else, I want to make sure there's ICU space if he needs it (again).

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I mean, yeah. Our youngest just caught RSV and is doing fine. Our oldest had RSV (we think) back in 2017 and was fine.

But the whole "well I/my kid/my dog will be fine" attitude is why COVID is still spreading like wildfire.

For us, this isn't about "what if my kid catches it." It's about "stop loving around so we can end the pandemic you selfish assholes."

My kids surviving COVID doesn't mean gently caress-all when there are no ICU beds available.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

hallo spacedog posted:

So this is controversial advice, but you could try placing her on her side to sleep. You can take a baby blanket, roll it up, and place it in a u-shape around their legs and up the front and back to prevent rolling. You could also slightly elevate the head of the crib mattress with a couple towels underneath it so it’s not completely flat. I have put my two month old on his left side with an elevated mattress since he was a few days old to sleep because he won’t sleep on his back. When he was really little I used the rolled up blanket but he stays on his side without it just fine now, a three month old may not need blanket support either.

E: like this

Koivunen fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 19, 2021

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Hey, I think we have the same crib. :hfive:

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Apparently an unvaccinated guy who had just become a father, died of covid around here. People aren’t taking it seriously in Texas at all, by and large—and our governor has emphatically been enforcing an order against mask mandates, citing personal responsibility should reign. So school districts are not allowed to require masks in Texas right now, though Dallas’s county judge defied it and mandates anyway and some school districts followed suit. A judge upheld the governor’s order, and some school districts are still defying it. Basically the governor is trying to micromanage. But guess what? He caught covid, tested positive after he spoke the a large crowd of people.

They are being ridiculous. I’m glad Biden has pledged to deal with any states whose governments won’t allow mask mandates, but the when and how is important. As a family unit we are going back to extra precautionary, and my parents are unvaccinated so we are very dubious on whether it’s wise to allow our children to spend time around grandparents who refuse to get vaccinated.

Like, I’m not terribly anxious, but my parents’ decisions irk and frustrate me. In concerned for their health and I know I’m gonna be in for Issendai levels of struggling with my parents if we decide to keep our children apart from them.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

space uncle posted:

My kid slept fine on his back and when he learned to roll over he would immediately do it and then get extremely pissed off that he wasn’t strong enough to roll back.

So we had about a month of “set down on back, baby flips over, cries like sad Turtle” until he gained the ability to roll from front to back.

Now he sleeps almost exclusively on his stomach.

This just started happening last night at bedtime. Set child (5 months) down, walk away, they flip onto belly and start screaming. We know she can roll front to back, she's done it before, but....I guess it hasn't sunk in fully yet. Hopefully it does quickly, having her wake herself up after only a few hours of nightsleep has been something we've avoided since she was 1/1.5mo.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Apparently an unvaccinated guy who had just become a father, died of covid around here. People aren’t taking it seriously in Texas at all, by and large—and our governor has emphatically been enforcing an order against mask mandates, citing personal responsibility should reign. So school districts are not allowed to require masks in Texas right now, though Dallas’s county judge defied it and mandates anyway and some school districts followed suit. A judge upheld the governor’s order, and some school districts are still defying it. Basically the governor is trying to micromanage. But guess what? He caught covid, tested positive after he spoke the a large crowd of people.

They are being ridiculous. I’m glad Biden has pledged to deal with any states whose governments won’t allow mask mandates, but the when and how is important. As a family unit we are going back to extra precautionary, and my parents are unvaccinated so we are very dubious on whether it’s wise to allow our children to spend time around grandparents who refuse to get vaccinated.

Like, I’m not terribly anxious, but my parents’ decisions irk and frustrate me. In concerned for their health and I know I’m gonna be in for Issendai levels of struggling with my parents if we decide to keep our children apart from them.

Set a boundary and don’t break it. If they want to see the grandkids, get vaccinated. It’s their choice then.

There were a few parents of young kids who I took care of that had terrible complications or ended up dying during the first few waves pre-vaccine. It’s horrible. And countless grandparents, FWIW.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Koivunen posted:

Set a boundary and don’t break it. If they want to see the grandkids, get vaccinated. It’s their choice then.

There were a few parents of young kids who I took care of that had horrible complications or ended up dying during the first few waves pre-vaccine. It’s horrible. And countless grandparents, FWIW.

I’m just not sure they realize how immensely irresponsible they are being. It’s turned into a political thing where in their eyes, their son being vaccinated and supporting mask mandates means I’m taking a side and it’s opposite theirs. A boundary is fine because I went through boundary making with my dad after a huge fight we had, and boundaries are healthy—but if I set this particular one, the sad part is they will feel personally hurt and affronted, and may not see their grandchildren for awhile to boot.

They will under no circumstances get vaccinated. They want to see their grandchildren, but not enough that they are willing to put in their veins what they believe is basically poison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"

I’m just not sure they realize how immensely irresponsible they are being.

You have an opportunity to try to make them realize by setting this boundary. It’s their choice not to get vaxxed. You’re being completely reasonable to not allow your kids to see anyone who isn’t vaxxed.