Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

skooma512 posted:

What is there an air pump in the co2 under the exosuits? Is it a leftover from a previous initiative?

Liquid pump on the off chance they pee in their suits. I'm not even sure it's connected to anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I think a lot of the bad bugs in the DLC are sorted out, most of it is playable, but the balance is off. And the game doesn't have much late game. By cycle 600 I've got all the research done, main base is completely sustainable, I've extracted what I need from the lava & water & swamp planets, but there's not much point to doing anything else I can see.

I could try to build up farms & shipping food to the tree planet to get isoresin for... ??? I'm already making liquid hydrogen fine w/o insulation. And visco-gel while neat is hardly worth the effort just for that.
I could build a sour gas boiler, except my power needs are met perfectly fine with a petroleum boiler & solar & a couple natural gas geysers.
I could try to really deck out the living quarters in my main base, except my dupes already have way more morale than they need for the skills they use.
I could do space mining from POIs to get... ? I don't have any real resource gaps.
I could do a nuclear reactor for .... power? Don't need that. Radiation? To ship something? Or mutate plants because... ?
I think the temporal tear stuff isn't fully implemented yet, but I think the rumors were you just had to collect 10 artifacts and clean them, which I already have like 5 not even trying.

I guess the tldr is a lot of the game, by the time you really have the resources to try it out or build it, you don't really need it anymore. Like if you got some crazy mutated plants early on, it might affect how you build your farms or something. But you don't get enough radiation to produce enough for a proper farm until waaay on in the game, when who cares. I have like 3000+ sleet wheat sitting around that I've produced while trying to make some specialized or super-specialized seeds to make a fancy temperature-controlled wild sleet wheat farm. But I also have millions of calories of BBQ by now sitting around just from 3 hatch ranches.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Rescue Toaster posted:

I think a lot of the bad bugs in the DLC are sorted out, most of it is playable, but the balance is off. And the game doesn't have much late game. By cycle 600 I've got all the research done, main base is completely sustainable, I've extracted what I need from the lava & water & swamp planets, but there's not much point to doing anything else I can see.

Yeah, research needs to a major nerf. It moves so fast, that you're researching things long before you can actually use them. You could always just not research it until you need it, but the balance just seems really off, you're right.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Rescue Toaster posted:

I could try to build up farms & shipping food to the tree planet to get isoresin for... ??? I'm already making liquid hydrogen fine w/o insulation. And visco-gel while neat is hardly worth the effort just for that.
I could build a sour gas boiler, except my power needs are met perfectly fine with a petroleum boiler & solar & a couple natural gas geysers.
I could try to really deck out the living quarters in my main base, except my dupes already have way more morale than they need for the skills they use.
I could do space mining from POIs to get... ? I don't have any real resource gaps.
I could do a nuclear reactor for .... power? Don't need that. Radiation? To ship something? Or mutate plants because... ?
I think the temporal tear stuff isn't fully implemented yet, but I think the rumors were you just had to collect 10 artifacts and clean them, which I already have like 5 not even trying.

I guess the tldr is a lot of the game, by the time you really have the resources to try it out or build it, you don't really need it anymore. Like if you got some crazy mutated plants early on, it might affect how you build your farms or something. But you don't get enough radiation to produce enough for a proper farm until waaay on in the game, when who cares. I have like 3000+ sleet wheat sitting around that I've produced while trying to make some specialized or super-specialized seeds to make a fancy temperature-controlled wild sleet wheat farm. But I also have millions of calories of BBQ by now sitting around just from 3 hatch ranches.
To me the last puzzle is really hammering that sustainability - not that I've ever achieved it fully but it's worth thinking about. How much dirt do you use and how much do you produce? Phosphorite? Sand?? My goal was to make a base that would keep running for all time, thousands of years even, as long as the game didn't crash.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Sustainability is kind of as hard or not hard as you want now. Most of the DLC world generation are drowning in water. And for example, my warp asteroid had 5 oil wells, which is 16.6kg/s of petroleum when boiled. If you burn it in petroleum generators that's 16kw power and CO2 that can feed enough slicksters to feed a lag-inducing amount of duplicants. Also it refunds 6.2kg/s of polluted water, and only 5kg/s of that water is needed to feed the oil wells.

I'm really happy since I started getting off sand for filtering, making a steam turbine water purifier using your magma biome and large heat exchanger is fairly easy. So you get all your PO2 and brine converted to water and also generate a few hundred watts. By the time the magma biome would cool enough (not one square of my magma has solidified into igneous yet after running it for ~200 cycles) you can use a supercoolant aqua tuner. You can also just dump diseased water in there and even though the steam will appear full of food poisoning I haven't seen it come out in the water.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm kind of in trouble with my current base. I've got one SPOM inside my base and a second one at the top of the map directly under the Gravitas lobby, and together they're trying to run a power grid that has like 15 kw of periodic consumers hooked in. For a while I was having trouble even keeping the SPOMs running, until I did some prioritizing work with bridges.

Steam is definitely my next project, I've got a tiny industrial block set up, but I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around that whole deal. Not helped by my base cooling loop being a horrible monstrosity cobbled together in four stages as I needed more cooling, so it makes weird loops and offshoots that dodge around my toilets and attempt to make use of a cool slush geyser that won't be active for another fifty cycles.

I also just realized today that one of the vents I'd found early on was not a hot CO2 gas vent as I'd thought, but a subzero liquid geyser, which is giving me interesting cooling ideas.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
SPOMs are kind of an obsession like air-locks. When you are playing for 1000s of cycles, they don't hold up without baby sitting hydrogen. After experience, its better to make it as efficient as possible and have a main source of power. Usually I do water, power, and air around the same time because they interlock and mark a huge milestone in sustainability. Someone once commented on why bother and ever since I've quit worrying about making a 100% spom.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

I have a Cool Salt Slush Geyser which is putting out a lot of Brine @ -10c. Right next to it is Hydrogen vent, an Aluminium volcano and a Magma volcano all of which are currently sealed to they go dormant and I figure out what to do with them.
I'm thinking to use the brine as the mainstay of my SPOM, but the liquid is too cool for the Desalinator and breaks the piping
I don't have a source of refined metal at this point, so I'm constrained from some larger ideas I.e. radiant piping through my base and use the brine as a cooling system before pumping it into the SPOM.
What are some good methods I can use to heat the brine to a more reasonable temp?
I do have large supplies of water and polluted water, but I hate to use a non-renewable resource when this option is right there

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Any time I get a cool slush geyser I try to get the pwater or brine up to as close to 70c as I can before I filter it and crack it in an electrolyzer for maximum heat deletion. It’s a pretty good source of cooling first and water only second.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

How are you heating the liquid?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Generally by cooling, in order, sleet wheat farms, the base, any infinite gas storage, any cool steam geysers that are on the map, and then if all else fails, I have refineries set up to make steel on repeat that only fill with coolant if I need the temperature bump.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Dareon posted:

I also just realized today that one of the vents I'd found early on was not a hot CO2 gas vent as I'd thought, but a subzero liquid geyser, which is giving me interesting cooling ideas.

Because the output of those is so low, and CO2 has really low specific heat capacity, even if you heat it all the way up to like 40C you're getting less cooling than two wheezeworts. It's not worth the trouble.

Moreau posted:

I have a Cool Salt Slush Geyser which is putting out a lot of Brine @ -10c.
I don't have a source of refined metal at this point

Feed your cold brine through a refinery and then into a storage tank, then you can desalinate it and get all the refined metal you need for the midgame. In my most recent game I still haven't built an 'industrial brick' @ 650 cycles because the cool slush and cool salt slush that you start with have provided all my refined metal and cooling for glass forge & kilns, etc..etc..

Heffer
May 1, 2003

You could also cool the outgoing gasses from the spom to make them nice and chilly.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

And if all else fails, just use the tepedizer or whatever it is called. It is surprisingly effective at generating heat.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Dunno-Lars posted:

And if all else fails, just use the tepedizer or whatever it is called. It is surprisingly effective at generating heat.

Presently doing this for my pepper nuts and balm lilies.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Is starting with a researcher, or even having a dedicated researcher, actually useful? Research seems to happen so quickly, I've got more stuff researched by cycle 50 than I'll be able to use for several hundred cycles (I'm a terrible player)

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
1) You can't get dupes on demand nor dupes with the skills you want from the printing pod. Starting with one ensures you have it from cycle 1 instead of cycle 4++.
2) Making manual doors, air flow tiles, etc early (within 10 cycles) goes a long way in efficiency and resource conservation. That's only possible with an early and good researcher.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Moreau posted:

Is starting with a researcher, or even having a dedicated researcher, actually useful? Research seems to happen so quickly, I've got more stuff researched by cycle 50 than I'll be able to use for several hundred cycles (I'm a terrible player)

I still like doing this just to minimize the time until you get your basic sustainability techs. And then late game techs take hundreds of points so it is still nice to have someone fast to work on those.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Science also affects how quickly your dupe levels skills. Sometimes I take people with high science just for that, especially if they have another skill.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
So, is this update out of alpha?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Samovar posted:

So, is this update out of alpha?

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

One thing i'm a little uncertain of with the DLC.

It says on the tin that I'm now supposed to be playing on a few planetoids or w/e instead of one big base?

Is the intention now to unlock space-travel as a mid-game option and use it to solve problems instead of as a late-game bonus project?

I don't know if I"m intended to try a completely different playstyle because I won't be able to make a single base function in the DLC, or if the description is really just overstating the usefulness of space travel now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I believe it depends how you generate the map, if you generate the new style maps I think you need to spread over multiple rocks, if you generate the old style you still have a quite big asteroid with most resources on.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
My take on the DLC is each planet needs a different strategy to become sustainable. It's like a sampler pack of the different starts in the base game but you only have to climb the tech tree once.

My last experience was with the swamp start. First two planetoids may as well be one since a teleporter connects them. Starter produces all the water/oxygen needed. Ships it to the second. Second produces crude oil, ships it back to be boiled. 100% sustainable before touching space.

From there it's basically pick a destination, sort out what resources you have to work with. The next stop I had was the forest planet which is low oxygen and no free water source. Figured out a arbor tree to petrol generator loop that I've never bothered to build before because I've never had the need. Managed to put together a self sustaining base completely unlike the first one.

After that I start getting bored because the game performance has slowed to a crawl by that point.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Moreau posted:

Research is technically the best stat for all dupes, but generally it doesn't matter.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

About how many cycles in does everyone try to have certain things done? I frequently find myself at cycle 100 (I use the 10x speed mod, no idea if that causes problems) having forgotten something major so then I have to rush build to make up for it.

How do I best set up a way to cool water from a geyser for oxygen? I usually just look for a cool slush but the map seed database is out of date and will be for a couple months still.

I should really switch to the DLC but I can't even successfully transition to mid game on vanilla.

Running With Spoons
Oct 26, 2005
Only the spoon knows what is stirring in the pot

Admiral Joeslop posted:

About how many cycles in does everyone try to have certain things done? I frequently find myself at cycle 100 (I use the 10x speed mod, no idea if that causes problems) having forgotten something major so then I have to rush build to make up for it.

How do I best set up a way to cool water from a geyser for oxygen? I usually just look for a cool slush but the map seed database is out of date and will be for a couple months still.

I should really switch to the DLC but I can't even successfully transition to mid game on vanilla.

It takes 5x less energy to cool the output oxygen rather than the water input.

Best long term method is probably cooling a large (10x2? Probably less is fine) block of metal through aquatuner, or cold biome, or whatever and then putting your gas pipes through that.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Water geysers make some pretty hot water. I tend to skip them because of it. I've lasted over like 2k cycles before touching one.

So the geysers shoot out 100c+ steam and that poo poo is hot it will heat up everything around it. Actually if I remember correctly I did set up one my last world with an aquatuner cooling it all the way down to 10c but that usually took forever.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

If you want to get wild, you can valve in exactly 1000 g/s of water to each electrolyzer and superheat it above 100 with the waste heat of the aquatuner used to cool the outgoing oxygen. Should give you very frosty O2.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Almost tempted to get the Mechatronics guy but good lord those are bad traits for a 4th dupe.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Catalina would be a decent cook though. The Decreased <activity> is -3, right?

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I wouldn't hesitate to take Rowan. He'd be better as a 6th-7th dupe once you're ready to setup a kitchen and infinite food storage where you need the mechatronics, but I'd tough it out with him doing supply stuff until then.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Yeah it’s not like incredibly good, since there’s no reason to take the second Cuisine skill, but early pawns with a Science affinity get really good at everything workaday, over time. Unless you’re somehow not hurting for labor it’s a solid early get even though it’s not as appealing as Free Mechatronics

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Almost tempted to get the Mechatronics guy but good lord those are bad traits for a 4th dupe.

The dirt is more valuable that those dupes. That's enough dirt to take care of one sleet wheat for 100 cycles, an arbour tree for 50 cycles, or a hatch for 3 cycles. The algae is enough to make around alittle less than 5t of oxygen.

Docter and strength are kinda pointless stats. Improved carrying and improved carrying 2 give a dupe the equivalent of 30 str for carrying. It also gives them 4 strength also so that's even more.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 20, 2021

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

I'd take the algae, useful stuff for early rocket oxygenating, especially if you take the forest start and have no gold for oxylite production...

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Does the base game still have meteors on the surface? I hate dealing with them but also don't like trying to run 2+ colonies and all the slowdown that comes with it

insta
Jan 28, 2009
What slowdown? The DLC just portions the same map out into smaller worlds separated by neutronium and fog of war. It's the same simulation size.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I did the "original" start or whatever it's called. Soon as I teleported to the other asteroid, the game dumped down to 35~ fps.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The asteroids also spawn regolith long enough game it will dump hundreds of tons on top of the map and will lag you.

You can turn off asteroids in the base game with a mod but it makes space pretty easy, and also turns off infinite ranching of Shove Voles because you wont get the regolith to feed them. But it kinda requires space metal to build their ranch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AotC
May 16, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I did the "original" start or whatever it's called. Soon as I teleported to the other asteroid, the game dumped down to 35~ fps.

I don't know if it's confirmed or not but I've noticed the classic (large) start on dlc always feels worse than the spaced-out (mini) start. Maybe they proportioned everything for the mini start and just chucked in the large one after people requested it?

If you're really worried about performance then don't core out areas. Gas is slower than solid materials. You could also backfill the map with plastic tiles from drecko ranching, that has been confirmed to help with performance to some degree.

AotC fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 23, 2021