Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Metaline posted:

Help my heating pad broke and I keep forgetting to replace it in time for my one-two punch cramps and lower back pain combo!

Also, my cycle is usually super long and irregular and getting vaccinated seems to have forced an almost normal consistent cycle, which is amazing and I hope it lasts forever along with the free 5G!

I put a dish towel in a ziplock with some water and put it in the microwave for 45 seconds, do not close it until post heating... I had a lovely heating pad but my rabbit choose violence, so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If anyone is looking for a new heat thing, I bought this one last year and like it: https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Lumbar-Heating-Pad-Microwaveable/dp/B015LSTI6M

The star feature is the elastic strap, which is great for times when you can't sit still or hold the heat on the right spot. You can belt it onto your abdomen or lower back and keep walking around and doing stuff you need to do. In total it is nearly 4 feet long and really stretchy -- american sized not asian sized.

Inside it's 3 beanbag-like little sacks of rice. They are easily removable so you can wash the cover. Some of the reviews mention rice grains escaping, but I haven't had that problem personally. (Like other bag 'o grain heat packs it is basically useless for 'cold therapy' despite their claims.)

I also like to wear it under my coat when I have to go out in cold weather. 20+ minutes of a warm spot on your back is lovely.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

If you just need it to sleep/sit on the couch while working and occasionally whimpering, a sock full of rice in the microwave and sprinkled with the essential oil of your choice is also good.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

I don't have a microwave, or I'd be all over these suggestions! I do have a hot water bottle, but I can't lie down on it so it doesn't work for how I wanna be situated when my cramps are at their peak.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Metaline posted:

I don't have a microwave, or I'd be all over these suggestions! I do have a hot water bottle, but I can't lie down on it so it doesn't work for how I wanna be situated when my cramps are at their peak.

Can you get those hand/foot warmers? (like these https://hothands.com/)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Oh look it me

Having limited eyesight leads to many hilarious situations like 'darling, there was a red handprint on the bathroom door, I got it for you' and tbh I'm too old to even be embarrassed any more.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I was lying in bed the other day and the dog came over and tried to bury my butt like she would food. It was already under the covers!

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I genuinely cannot tell if there's hormones happening making me hornt and revealing their true nature through spotting, OR if unrelated vigorous self-love is somehow causing my cervix to cough up whatever happens to be rattling around in there at the moment. It doesn't actually matter, it's just confusing. I'm not usually this spotty!!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Nettle Soup posted:

I was lying in bed the other day and the dog came over and tried to bury my butt like she would food. It was already under the covers!

My dog used to try and eat my pad while I was in bed and wearing it. She was a minpin so it wasn't like she was mauling me, but it made for some bad nights.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Has anyone ever had cramps so bad that they could feel it in the soles of their feet?

Cowslips Warren posted:

My dog used to try and eat my pad while I was in bed and wearing it. She was a minpin so it wasn't like she was mauling me, but it made for some bad nights.

My cat absolutely LOVES period blood, and it's disgusting.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

YeahTubaMike posted:

Has anyone ever had cramps so bad that they could feel it in the soles of their feet?

My cat absolutely LOVES period blood, and it's disgusting.

I may have already said this in the thread before, but one time my dog stayed over at my ex-gf’s place without me and then pooped an entire tampon when I walked her home. (The dog, not the girlfriend)

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013
I haven’t been to the beach in years, and I fly out in a couple of days. Guess what’s due to arrive mid-vacation? Uuuugh. Thanks nature. I guess.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

AbstractBlacksmith posted:

I haven’t been to the beach in years, and I fly out in a couple of days. Guess what’s due to arrive mid-vacation? Uuuugh. Thanks nature. I guess.

Hey, it's a bonus if you love sharks!

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Finally had my pelvic ultrasound this morning to find out why the hell my last period (in June) had me bleeding like I'd been fatally shot. As predicted, they couldn't get enough of an image in the ultrasound and had to do a vaginal probe, which are always horrifically uncomfortable. Naturally I'm in kind of a foul mood now after it but they told me I should get results from my GP either Wednesday or Thursday of next week, if they found anything of note.

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
Living with men who always notice *something* is wrong every month but never loving remember what it is...
Every drat month eventually it's like "why do you look so tired?" "You sound so grumpy, are you mad at me?"
I don't like announcing when I have it, but I end up having to every time :sludgepal:
You think eventually people could catch on "hmm this person who is always cheerful and energetic is suddenly grumpy and tired. The last time this happened was exactly a month ago...oh right."

Re: pets eating period blood chat:
My brother had his first kid around the time I had my first period and we were all living in the same house at the time, and it was just total carnage of our stupid chihuahua-jack russel eating pads and diapers

Pasketti fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 6, 2021

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

Fun Shoe

Pasketti posted:

Living with men who always notice *something* is wrong every month but never loving remember what it is...
Every drat month eventually it's like "why do you look so tired?" "You sound so grumpy, are you mad at me?"
I don't like announcing when I have it, but I end up having to every time :sludgepal:
You think eventually people could catch on "hmm this person who is always cheerful and energetic is suddenly grumpy and tired. The last time this happened was exactly a month ago...oh right."

if they're the kind that do want to be aware but are just derp about keeping track, there are period apps that can talk to each other so they can quietly check their phone and see instead of being an rear end about it

I asked my partner if he actively tracked mine and he said no, because it "feels creepy" to do so. He does have a good idea of when it's around, and he's super considerate about it, so I'm one of the lucky ones I guess

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick

Pyrtanis posted:

if they're the kind that do want to be aware but are just derp about keeping track, there are period apps that can talk to each other so they can quietly check their phone and see instead of being an rear end about it

I asked my partner if he actively tracked mine and he said no, because it "feels creepy" to do so. He does have a good idea of when it's around, and he's super considerate about it, so I'm one of the lucky ones I guess

Eh a lot of it's on me. I don't need them to know I just wish they could connect the dots when we have the same conversation every month so it would be less awkward. For context my husband and I are splitting a big condo with our buddy. I usually say something like "oh by the way babe it's shark week" to my husband, but I reallllllly don't want to bring it up to the friend.
But like I said, every month he thinks I'm sick or received bad news or something, and I know he's just checking in to be nice but duuuuude it's been a year omfg catch on already.

Similar universal thing I wish all people would stop asking me:
Sometimes I put one of those tiny round bandaids over a pimple after I pop it to hide it and keep it sterile. probably not the best way to deal with acne I know, but for me it works and makes it heal up in a few hours. Que everyone on earth asking "omg what happened to your face???" Its a pimple just like it was last time I had a bandage on my face. Which happened a month ago. because I had my period then and got a breakout. and I'm having one again now, wow. time is a circle.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Pelvic ultrasound and vaginal probe results came back….

Normal.

gently caress.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Pelvic ultrasound and vaginal probe results came back….

Normal.

gently caress.

What are the next steps? Does your doctor want to wait and see if it happens again?

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Pasketti posted:

Eight to ten days before my period happens "Are you upset or something?" "I don't know, maybe I'm just a little tired from doing 90% of the childcare and housework and constantly having to think about what to make for diner and keep a mental list in my head of all the things that need to be done and when and BEING THE ONLY PERSON IN THE HOUSE WHO CAN loving PICK UP A DIRTY DISH FROM THE TABLE AND PUT IT IN THE KITCHEN AFTER EATTING"

Normally I don't care because he makes 90% of our income and that's how we split the labor, but there's a period of about 48 hours were I start thinking "If I got on a train right now and just rode that bad boy to the end of the line there's a good chance I'd never have to put up with this constant bullshit again."

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Eight to ten days before my period happens "Are you upset or something?" "I don't know, maybe I'm just a little tired from doing 90% of the childcare and housework and constantly having to think about what to make for diner and keep a mental list in my head of all the things that need to be done and when and BEING THE ONLY PERSON IN THE HOUSE WHO CAN loving PICK UP A DIRTY DISH FROM THE TABLE AND PUT IT IN THE KITCHEN AFTER EATTING"

Normally I don't care because he makes 90% of our income and that's how we split the labor, but there's a period of about 48 hours were I start thinking "If I got on a train right now and just rode that bad boy to the end of the line there's a good chance I'd never have to put up with this constant bullshit again."

Oh yeah oh yeah I know that feeling. Start thinking about how it would be easier to do everything myself because at least I wouldn’t have to inwardly seethe when things fall to me.

This is only an issue one or two days a cycle, otherwise I perceive him as a great dad who chips in when he needs/can.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

xcheopis posted:

What are the next steps? Does your doctor want to wait and see if it happens again?

No word from the doctor on what happens next. I got the test result in a text from the doctor’s office. I presume this is something where I have to wait and see if it happens again and if it does, then I’m honestly not sure what to do.

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
oh great I got the old "feeling mildly stressed, annoyed, or inconvenienced? HAVE SOME WATERWORKS. TEARS NOW YAY" that I occasionally get a bit before shark week right as I was stomping off to find my supervisor to tell him that having me try to do a specific task wasn't gonna work out. So instead of just being able to matter-of-factly go "yeah hey my skill set is not at all suited to getting this poo poo done quickly enough, we should swap some people around for efficiency's sake" I looked like I was *super distraught* about the whole situation and also that my dog just died. It's a bizarre physical response that I cannot control and I fuckin HATE it because the overwhelming majority of my team at work is dudes and I feel this poo poo hurts my aggressively utilitarian street cred. I wasn't even actually upset! This is stupid and I did not sign up for it.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Big same, yesterday I got teary because my birthday is coming up and I just want people to stop asking me what I want, and then say "that's not enough! It needs to be special!!!" when I tell them a nice charity donation or something.

IF IT NEEDS TO BE SPECIAL THEN THINK OF IT YOURSE- *checks underwear* oh

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
I keep dropping stuff/have no loving motor skills, am sleeping like poo poo/am super tired, i'm weirdly achy and I feel like my life is a disaster and everything is terrible.

Yep it's three days til my period!!

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I had a blissful seven months of no periods after my baby was born. That all ended today and explains why I burst into tears over nothing yesterday.

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
i also randomly started tearing up while watching a video of a guy playing motorhead's ace of spades on a church carillon so i don't know what the gently caress is happening

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Zeth posted:

i also randomly started tearing up while watching a video of a guy playing motorhead's ace of spades on a church carillon so i don't know what the gently caress is happening

That’s what I call “Dino feels”

Named for the time I started crying at work while listening to a podcast about the extinction of the dinosaurs

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Zeth posted:

I never used to tear up much and then perimenopause started and now I cry over everything. Everything. I hate it.

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
Is it actually getting upset over things more or just, random-rear end poo poo causes just tears without an accompanying emotional swing

Because BOTH of those are horseshit

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

To the tune of “Attack of the Name Game” by Stacy Lattishaw

A spot. On your labia :sadpeanut:

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Hi everyone, has anyone iit gone thru fibroid removal surgery? I have 3 big ones (two 8 cm. and one 5 cm.), which lead to the surgen who wile perform the operation stating I will need to stay at least one night in the hospital to recover. I'm kind of anxious about this since this is my first surgery (I'm 28), and I'm dealing with another big event in my life (finally moving out of my parents' house).

I just want to fast foward past the surgery and get to the part where I have a slightly slimmer belly lol

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Zeth posted:

My period is due tomorrow and yesterday I was watching Secrets of the Saqqara Tomb on Netflix, a pretty straight-forward documentary about excavating an ancient necropolis in Egypt and I was a bit weepy eyed the whole time.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Equeen posted:

Hi everyone, has anyone iit gone thru fibroid removal surgery? I have 3 big ones (two 8 cm. and one 5 cm.), which lead to the surgen who wile perform the operation stating I will need to stay at least one night in the hospital to recover. I'm kind of anxious about this since this is my first surgery (I'm 28), and I'm dealing with another big event in my life (finally moving out of my parents' house).

I just want to fast foward past the surgery and get to the part where I have a slightly slimmer belly lol

I had my gallbladder out via keyhole so if you are getting laproscopy I am guessing it will be kind of similar, at least for the part where they cut holes in you to get inside. My surgery experience was pretty nice, the people at the hospital really made sure I was comfortable going in and because keyhole surgery minimises trauma to the body I didn't need pain relief at all after. From what I can see fibroid surgery is regularly done via keyhole so I hope that's the method they use for you.

I had two big holes and two little holes done but they were pretty much just under 1 inch holes and 1/4 inch holes and they were healed shut within a week. I had water proof patches on them so I was able to shower like normal - I had to switch to non-allergic ones because my skin had a reaction to the adhesive in the ones the hospital put on me. The very worst part for me was waking up from the surgery, I woke up in a great mood but feeling really sick and it was a couple of hours and one puke before that wore off. It took me a long time to shake the mental fog from anaesthesia, maybe 4 or 5 days and I spent a lot of that time sleeping it off - the younger you are the easier it is for your body to deal with surgery so maybe it won't be like that for you. Sleeping and giving yourself time to rest does make it go quite fast though! I think I had more pain from a sore throat from where the airway tube was than I did from my surgery sites too, so maybe make sure you have something at hand to deal with that.

The main thing to make it all go smoothly was to make sure I got all my major chores done and set everything up how I want it before going into surgery, since after I couldn't lift anything for a while ie do laundry or vacuum, and chances are you won't feel like cooking so if you can premake and freeze some meals to warm up or get someone to fuss over you for that first week you'll be fine and it will all start going back to normal sooner than you expect.

Sorry I can't give you specific info about fibroids!

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Stoca Zola posted:

I had my gallbladder out via keyhole so if you are getting laproscopy I am guessing it will be kind of similar, at least for the part where they cut holes in you to get inside. My surgery experience was pretty nice, the people at the hospital really made sure I was comfortable going in and because keyhole surgery minimises trauma to the body I didn't need pain relief at all after. From what I can see fibroid surgery is regularly done via keyhole so I hope that's the method they use for you.

I had two big holes and two little holes done but they were pretty much just under 1 inch holes and 1/4 inch holes and they were healed shut within a week. I had water proof patches on them so I was able to shower like normal - I had to switch to non-allergic ones because my skin had a reaction to the adhesive in the ones the hospital put on me. The very worst part for me was waking up from the surgery, I woke up in a great mood but feeling really sick and it was a couple of hours and one puke before that wore off. It took me a long time to shake the mental fog from anaesthesia, maybe 4 or 5 days and I spent a lot of that time sleeping it off - the younger you are the easier it is for your body to deal with surgery so maybe it won't be like that for you. Sleeping and giving yourself time to rest does make it go quite fast though! I think I had more pain from a sore throat from where the airway tube was than I did from my surgery sites too, so maybe make sure you have something at hand to deal with that.

The main thing to make it all go smoothly was to make sure I got all my major chores done and set everything up how I want it before going into surgery, since after I couldn't lift anything for a while ie do laundry or vacuum, and chances are you won't feel like cooking so if you can premake and freeze some meals to warm up or get someone to fuss over you for that first week you'll be fine and it will all start going back to normal sooner than you expect.

Sorry I can't give you specific info about fibroids!

No, this was an informative post! Yeah, I'm reasonably certain that the surgery itself will be fine, but I'm just a tad worried about the post-surgery recovery in my new apartment with no roommates. My mom will absolutely be the person I would rely on, but she still has to deal with a 9-5 job.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

With a tiny bit of prep (laundry, getting some food ready, etc as previously mentioned in that super good post by Stoca Zola), you won't have much to worry about. I had laparoscopic gallbladder removal last year, preceded by six days in the hospital on an all-liquid diet, and even in that state I still bounced back about a week or so after the surgery. For reference, I was 34 at the time. I spent most of the time sleeping or just laying in bed, it was boring more than anything else.

While you're in the hospital, don't be afraid to ask for pain meds or anti-nausea stuff as soon as you start to feel a bit off, it'll help a ton! They might have something like flavored ices to snack on, those were really nice for the post-surgery sore throat.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Zeth posted:

Is it actually getting upset over things more or just, random-rear end poo poo causes just tears without an accompanying emotional swing

Because BOTH of those are horseshit

Just tears, at random. Infuriating.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

From what I've heard about the covid vaccine messing with your periods is that it makes it heavier or break-through bleeding, but what about missing it? Because right now I'm 3 days late on my period and I realized that while I had the 2nd jab before my period last month this month would be my first ovulation with the jab. Also p sure I'm not pregnant, I don't think we had PIV sex this month and I am literally sitting on the can after getting a negative result on a pregnancy test.

candystarlight
Jun 5, 2017

Ralph Crammed In posted:

From what I've heard about the covid vaccine messing with your periods is that it makes it heavier or break-through bleeding, but what about missing it? Because right now I'm 3 days late on my period and I realized that while I had the 2nd jab before my period last month this month would be my first ovulation with the jab. Also p sure I'm not pregnant, I don't think we had PIV sex this month and I am literally sitting on the can after getting a negative result on a pregnancy test.

Mine cycle is definitely delayed now, it hasn't been unusual for it to come up to a week late. I've never had a reliable cycle to begin with though, but it used to be that I wouldn't get one AT ALL, EVER (well, like every 6-8 months) rather than Aunt Flow coming late.

I also get myself worked up and pee on sticks to make myself feel better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

Fun Shoe
I too pissed on a stick after my second shot (Moderna), I have a Mirena and it went from late as hell to crampy af to gross spotting for a while... settled down after a couple months