Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
At least Opie and Anthony are gone from the title now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Is Chip Chipperson still a thing?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Norton is still mentally ill yes

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

gently caress. RIP Fez.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006

Stotty posted:

His phone calls to the show in the past couple of years have been really good, he was the old Fez again.

At least the Bucs won the Super Bowl one last time.

Hopefully he's resting easy in the refrigerated truck on the way to Northern Virginia.
Do NOT bury him in Northern Virginia!

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Goddammit. RIP Fez.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Today will be a tough listen

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
Today's show is live. They opened with an old R&F intro, the one with ICP's Oddities, into All Things Must Pass by George Harrison.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

JFC posted:

Today's show is live. They opened with an old R&F intro, the one with ICP's Oddities, into All Things Must Pass by George Harrison.

I haven't listened to Bennington in years and i'm already sobbing. gently caress.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSUE4_Y2QEE

For anybody wanting to listen.

It's a rough listen from the start.

Stotty fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 16, 2021

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!
Man, this is incredibly sad, RIP big cat. A legend of talk radio.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
this is brutal

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Listened to the first hour, first time I've listened to Bennington in years. Very hard to hear Ronnie and Gail that broken up, but I expected it. Hearing Chris Stanley in tears really got me, though.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

East Side Dave’s call was good. The image of Ron setting up play dates between Fez and ESD is pretty funny. A great episode overall, but very sad.

E: and fuckin Earl just reading what he posted on the interrobang. Of course.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I never realized how much I missed Fezatorials until I heard one on today's show.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

uploaded today

woooooooooooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhp_jL7FjK4

katatonic
Mar 14, 2007

Stotty posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSUE4_Y2QEE

For anybody wanting to listen.

It's a rough listen from the start.

gently caress, the call with his sister broke me. Specifically the part where Ron said he wished he did everything with Fez differently/feels like he failed him.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
The origin of the Sleeves song, "It Takes a Rube."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fig86NrZUjQ

And the song, sung from the perspective of the waiter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrZ93pO2_8A

It’s my last night at the steakhouse
‘Cos I haven’t got a prayer
Debts and bets are piled up
My bills, my pockets bare

So I’m raggin’ out some bar-glass
And my eye runs to the door
There they stand, four men in hand
I’ll serve them, carry out my plan

I’m gonna take me to the Brooklyn Bridge
I’m gonna rip me up in howlin’ winds
I’m gonna swim me down the coal black sea
Gonna take me so they can’t take me

Well I seat the men as quickly
As my arthritic legs allow
Here’s a snapshot of me then
Can you guess how old I’m now?

Well I used to box on Sunday
In the twen’y dollar fights
But you don’t last long and when you’re done
They dim ya like the lights

I brought the steaks and sodas
Sharp knives and chocolate treats
Took up the cheque and nearly died
When I saw you’d left me all I’d need

I’m gonna take it to the race-track
I’m gonna take it to the OTB
I’m gonna take it to the basement games
I’m gonna find myself a new bookie

I’m gonna win myself a whole new life
Run the tables and then find my wife
I’m gonna make it now and want to say
It takes a rube, come back any-day

Dookberg
Oct 14, 2003

katatonic posted:

gently caress, the call with his sister broke me. Specifically the part where Ron said he wished he did everything with Fez differently/feels like he failed him.

That got me as well. She mentioned that Fezzie wasn't able to see that he was loved, when by all accounts everyone who met him loved and appreciated him to no end. Everyone tried to get that message through to him. I hope Ronnie doesn't see this as his failure, when the big cat just needed to love himself.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Dookberg posted:

That got me as well. She mentioned that Fezzie wasn't able to see that he was loved, when by all accounts everyone who met him loved and appreciated him to no end. Everyone tried to get that message through to him. I hope Ronnie doesn't see this as his failure, when the big cat just needed to love himself.

Yeah, I don't think Ron should blame himself. He did the best he could and, honestly, the real answer was for Fez to get off the radio and sort himself out. It's horrible that he didn't manage to get to that point, but there's only so much one can do when dealing with someone deep into mental illness like Fez was.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
Anyone else notice that whenever Ant calls into Bennington Gail never says a word to him or laughs at anything he says?

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

JFC posted:

Anyone else notice that whenever Ant calls into Bennington Gail never says a word to him or laughs at anything he says?

that's why she's the best lol

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

JFC posted:

lol wanted to come here to mention this

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNE9uuHafIo

sometimes my brain pulls random lines from this and repeats them. Fez was insanely talented at selling bullshit as legit

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
The new Opie and Dopey.

Big fan of Ronnie P.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Pengton

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

that's why she's the best lol

She still talks well about nick dipaolo which I don't understand

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!
Honestly, Ron n Fez is the best talk radio show ever made. I downloaded the entire SXM archives a couple years ago and listen every day seeing if I cant find bits that arnt on YT yet or to just listen to classic bits. The stuff never really gets old cuz nobody ever did a show as out there as them. I mean when has anybody heard of a show where the host doesnt talk and when he does he cries. And you cant turn away because Ron's droppin killer lines and redirecting Fez's anger towards someone else in the room, which Fez would take entirely serious and build an instant grudge. Like what even is that???

RIP Big Cat!

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

JFC posted:

the best

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Tr33 posted:

I mean when has anybody heard of a show where the host doesnt talk and when he does he cries. And you cant turn away because Ron's droppin killer lines and redirecting Fez's anger towards someone else in the room, which Fez would take entirely serious and build an instant grudge. Like what even is that???

Big Jay Oakerson was saying on the Bonfire yesterday how he walked in one day and Fez had a grudge against him for something. I remember hearing that show that week, it pops in my head a lot for some reason, it was really strange and I remember Jay being utterly perplexed and apologetic because he didn't know what he'd done to offend Fez. I think their show is where I first heard Big Jay.

He said he called Ron up at some point and asked if Fez still hated him, and Ron replied "Well, Fez doesn't ask me about you."

Smugworth fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 17, 2021

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006

Smugworth posted:

Big Jay Oakerson was saying on the Bonfire yesterday how he walked in one day and Fez had a grudge against him for something. I remember hearing that show that week, it pops in my head a lot for some reason, it was really strange and I remember Jay being utterly perplexed and apologetic because he didn't know what he'd done to offend Fez. I think their show is where I first heard Big Jay.

He said he called Ron up at some point and asked if Fez still hated him, and Ron replied "Well, Fez doesn't ask me about you."
It was probably this, which was ironically was the last thing he did before "retiring."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wH-ae7pNmE

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

"One time I saw gays making fun of the way Neil Armstrong dressed when he was walking on the moon. Said he looked like an exploring baked potato."

I don't know why that loving line murdered me. (Timestamp 33:59 on vid above)

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Stefan Prodan posted:

She still talks well about nick dipaolo which I don't understand

nick isnt a confirmed pederast

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

RIP Fez. How long did they do Soundboard Fez? https://youtu.be/JmO_1hkJpQs

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Cory Lidle posted:

It was probably this, which was ironically was the last thing he did before "retiring."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wH-ae7pNmE

Hm, you're probably right

Tr33
May 26, 2007

gently caress compound media and all but East Side Dave was a huge part of Fez's crazy legacy. He did a tribute show to Fez for those who want to see it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0b6bMOklZ0

Big Jay and Dan opened The Bonfire with North American Scum, which was fitting they both come from that 2012-2014 era of the show.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cZQ-kaZ3FA

I mean when you think about it, Fez not talking and Jay and Dan being more than capable of pickin up the slack ended up probably getting them the Bonfire gig.

Tr33 fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 19, 2021

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Does anyone else remember the time Ron arrived really late for the show and they got through two full plays of North American Scum before he got there? I believe Fez was sitting there in a blind panic the whole time.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I've definitely heard it but I can't seem to find the clip. I think Ron got held up at security for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tr33
May 26, 2007

AndrewP posted:

I've definitely heard it but I can't seem to find the clip. I think Ron got held up at security for some reason.

Yeah that's the one. Fez goes full panic attack and lol even gets a lil racist about what kinds of people need to be security checked (hint: its not middle aged white men)

I've been lookin for it the past half hour and cant find it anywhere. I heard not even too long ago too, now its just gone