Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

library was probably just happy someone showed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
statement from the library confirms it happened there

said they ran out of wheelchairs and got 3x the number now.

extremely cool and good right?

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
the multiple 200+ attendee superspeader meetings my office had scheduled for next month have all been cancelled lmao

i told them this was gonna happen

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1428386507803566088?s=19

I was told covid wasn't hurting the economy

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

I ordered those exact things last year at this time and they came from amazon looking exactly the same (in bags like that). I think they look fine.

I’ve seen that package at hardware stores.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Stevie Lee posted:

the multiple 200+ attendee superspeader meetings my office had scheduled for next month have all been cancelled lmao

A few weeks ago my department rented out a pavilion at a local park to introduce the new director

while she was making her introduction speech a honey truck pulled up behind her to pump the portable toilet out

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 373 days!
We already had to train library staff to be de facto social workers so now I guess we have to train them to be RNs as well

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

number is quadruple vaxxed

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Mr Hootington posted:

Everyone should go on vacation to non hot spots before they get hot!

What if I go to a hot spot first, then a non hot spot to cool off? Average out my covid exposure to a reasonable level?

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Schnorkles posted:

covid gonna absolutely rip through the crazies in the state legislatures.

people like DeSantis and Abbott aren't crazy, they're just power hungry with absolutely 0 remorse for murdering their own citizenry. They're both vaccinated probably with boosters.

Hearing that Abbott was already boosted with a third shot, plus that CNN article saying Pfizer/Moderna recipients will get boosters but J&J havers can twist in the wind, is what crack-pinged me into getting a booster myself

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

A few weeks ago my department rented out a pavilion at a local park to introduce the new director

while she was making her introduction speech a honey truck pulled up behind her to pump the portable toilet out

lmao

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

sonatinas posted:

some serious munchausen going on there, can an adult give another adult munchausen by proxy?

or it’s a lie

Given all the fake medical equipment I’m guessing it’s an act

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

navyjack posted:

goin way out on a limb with this take

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Schnorkles posted:

statement from the library confirms it happened there

said they ran out of wheelchairs and got 3x the number now.

extremely cool and good right?

Got drat, is there a link that you could share with them confirming? I'd like to send that to some people.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
my employer has pushed back my office return date until March at the earliest, hell yes

now I just have to watch my kids' school district COVID dashboard

:sludgepal:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Stevie Lee posted:

did they write you up with a disciplinary action for warning them?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
My understanding is that the monoclonal isn't very effective and doesn't do dick unless given right at the start, so the whole thing is a real loving heinous scam by desantos making the only treatment in Florida being hydroxychloroquine and ivermectin conveniently sold by his golf buddy.

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

Same energy

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Marjorie Taylor Green lookin kinda hot here ngl

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Asproigerosis posted:

My understanding is that the monoclonal isn't very effective and doesn't do dick unless given right at the start, so the whole thing is a real loving heinous scam by desantos making the only treatment in Florida being hydroxychloroquine and ivermectin conveniently sold by his golf buddy.

Unless you're the right level of elite, in which case you get them pumped in the second you test positive to actually get the benefits.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

did they write you up with a disciplinary action for warning them?

i wish

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
The way people talk about the concept of science is weird. Like saying things like "I trusted science!" as if it were a trickster god.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

navyjack posted:

Nah I'm sure it's real medical testing and that she just keeps shopping around for doctors that keep going through the same motions to tell her they just don't know! Because they are too loving cowardly to just yell at her to knock it the gently caress off she is either faking it for attention or has conversion disorder.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

lil poopendorfer posted:

that dude is a PCP, he's not kicking people outta the ED or witholding life saving care, just refusing to see them for future appointments. WHats the issue?

oh, ethically or morally, I dunno

if the ER's full, start kicking out the unvaxxed to make room imo

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

your filters probably have a code on them you can double check with the manufacturer's site to make sure they're legit

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Asproigerosis posted:

Nah I'm sure it's real medical testing and that she just keeps shopping around for doctors that keep going through the same motions to tell her they just don't know! Because they are too loving cowardly to just yell at her to knock it the gently caress off she is either faking it for attention or has conversion disorder.

I want someone to make videos where they go around to churches and loudly yell at people "speaking in tongues" to cut the bullshit

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Zurtilik posted:

The way people talk about the concept of science is weird. Like saying things like "I trusted science!" as if it were a trickster god.

That's exactly how they see it. These are the same people who, centuries ago, would be telling us that we have to trust the priests because only they can interpret God's will.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Asproigerosis posted:

uh we don't call it conversion anymore we call it psychogenic non-epileptic seizure or psychogenic tremor

although i had a neurologist tell me once "if they're an adult with a stuffed animal, it's conversion.'

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

rip mastershakeman

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Zurtilik posted:

In this house, we no longer trust the science

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

Kreeblah posted:

In DeSantis's arm for a fourth jab.

apparently he's now discouraging boosters lol

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost
I Fuckin Love Science!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

trusting the science is fine, just don't trust the CDC lol. I'm sure there's lots of serious professionals doing good work within it, but every part that is public facing or policy guiding is 100% political and unmoored from "the science"

trust the authorities in countries that have actually crushed COVID, imho

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Stevie Lee posted:

In this house, we no longer trust the science

i no longer trust gravity to always pull down and have glued my furniture to the floor

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

mod sassinator posted:

and all the blue libs will cheer in celebration LMAO

Literally the Hank/Alabaster chase scene. Well, except that Hank nuts up at the end and confronts him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63EdY_sQOcY&t=126s

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I liked how in the middle of her thread on respirators, Naomi Wu as politely as she could responded to people citing CDC stuff by pointing out that they had been wrong about absolutely everything this entire time so maybe please don't consider them a good source for planning, I need to revisit that to see if anybody got all pissed at her

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

https://twitter.com/jbendery/status/1428393333341229059

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
All Congressmen, governors and the White House Chain of Command get the rich people treatment with COVID. They'll be okay but at the worst might have cheese brains forever.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Epic High Five posted:

trusting the science is fine, just don't trust the CDC lol. I'm sure there's lots of serious professionals doing good work within it, but every part that is public facing or policy guiding is 100% political and unmoored from "the science"

trust the authorities in countries that have actually crushed COVID, imho

i think it's really more that the CDC is making public health decisions in the best interest of the government and there are definite cases where that interest is not aligned with the best interest of the individual. like wearing masks in march 2020 when hospitals couldn't get them, or getting people out and spending money in april when it looked like the economy was going to collapse again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/Nature/status/1428382065330991107

quote:

Cowling and his colleagues analysed exhaustive test data from 101 people in Guangdong who were infected with Delta between May and June this year, and data from those individuals’ close contacts. They found that, on average, people began having symptoms 5.8 days after infection with Delta — 1.8 days after they first tested positive for viral RNA. That left almost two days for individuals to shed viral RNA before they showed any sign of COVID-19.

In the latest work, the researchers also found that those infected with Delta had higher concentrations of viral particles, or viral load, in their bodies than did people infected with the original version of SARS-CoV-2. “Somehow the virus is appearing quicker and in higher amounts,” says Cowling.

As a result, 74% of infections with Delta took place during the presymptomatic phase — a higher proportion than for previous variants. This high rate “helps explain how this variant has been able to outpace both the wild-type virus and other variants to become the dominant strain worldwide”, says Barnaby Young, an infectious-disease clinician at the National Centre for Infectious Diseases in Singapore.

The researchers also calculated Delta’s ‘basic reproduction number’, or R0, which is the average number of people to whom every infected person will spread the virus in a susceptible population. They estimated that Delta has an R0 of 6.4, which is much higher than the R0 of 2–4 estimated for the original version of SARS-CoV-2, says Marm Kilpatrick, an infectious-disease researcher at the University of California, Santa Cruz. “Delta moves a bit faster, but is much more transmissible.”

love to read this and see all the school mitigation plans premised on symptom screening!