Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

What a loving shame. RIP to a legend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Absolutely crushed by this news. Along with Bruce Lee, Sonny Chiba was my introduction to the genre. One of my absolute favorites.

ultraviolence123 fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 19, 2021

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
He was always such a captivating performer. Goddamn. :smith:

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

gently caress, my Street Fighter Collection can’t get here fast enough. Bought totally on spec to see full leading man Chiba.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I'm amazed by the career and antics of Godfrey Ho. Most obviously recognize him for his antics of chopping together footage of Australians on vacation in the Philippines in ninja costumes with already existing movies but he is a very capable and competent film maker when the conditions are right.

I recommend anyone to take a glance at angel enforcers which is full of just non-stop sick rear end action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk47kzbL5Kc

There's also Princess Madam aka Iron Angels 4 which is just nutso

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs8tIwS_guk

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Angel Enforcers owns. Looks like I'm gonna have to stick Princess Madam in the queue thanks to that trailer!

Also, time for another rewatch of Kung Fu Hustle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixeHttmdsZY

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I saw Angel Enforcers a few weeks ago and loved it. Pretty much an all star cast for the time and tons of great fight scenes.

RIP Sonny. I had no idea he was in so many movies. Turns out he played Golgo 13 in a live action movie in the 70s! I had no idea that even existed. Gonna have to get a copy.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Elephant Ambush posted:

I saw Angel Enforcers a few weeks ago and loved it. Pretty much an all star cast for the time and tons of great fight scenes.

RIP Sonny. I had no idea he was in so many movies. Turns out he played Golgo 13 in a live action movie in the 70s! I had no idea that even existed. Gonna have to get a copy.

There's two! The first one stars Ken Takakura.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It came in a box set of Sonny Chiba films I bought a decade ago, so it's the only Golga content I've ever seen. From that perspective, it's just another sleazy Hong Kong 70s film. I can't recall the details except that I remember thinking The Bodyguard and The Street Fighter were better.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

It came in a box set of Sonny Chiba films I bought a decade ago, so it's the only Golga content I've ever seen. From that perspective, it's just another sleazy Hong Kong 70s film. I can't recall the details except that I remember thinking The Bodyguard and The Street Fighter were better.

The first one is a better film overall but doesn't have Chiba in it but does have a good amount of violence. Pretty solid flick imo, also interesting because they filmed a lot of it on location in pre-revolution Iran.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ynohtna posted:

Angel Enforcers owns. Looks like I'm gonna have to stick Princess Madam in the queue thanks to that trailer!

Also, time for another rewatch of Kung Fu Hustle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixeHttmdsZY

I came across this video today, realized I really like these movies, and then popped into the thread. I need to watch more of these I absolutely love everything I watch

G-III posted:

I'm amazed by the career and antics of Godfrey Ho. Most obviously recognize him for his antics of chopping together footage of Australians on vacation in the Philippines in ninja costumes with already existing movies but he is a very capable and competent film maker when the conditions are right.

I recommend anyone to take a glance at angel enforcers which is full of just non-stop sick rear end action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk47kzbL5Kc

There's also Princess Madam aka Iron Angels 4 which is just nutso

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs8tIwS_guk

Holy poo poo I'm smiling so hard at ANGEL ENFORCERS

You can't fire me
I QUIT
guns

meefistopheles
Nov 11, 2013
Does anyone have any recommendations for martial arts films that kind of blend in the supernatural? Supernatural ranging from wirework to laser swords. Anything with fancy camera tricks and interesting practical effects would be a great bonus. I've seen a few already, so if it's something you'd like to check out I would really recommend:

Zu: Warriors from the Magic Mountain
Dragon Inn

Encounters of the Spooky Kind
The Miracle Fighters
Come Drink With Me
A Touch of Zen
The Seventh Curse
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If you've seen Encounters of the Spooky Kind, I assume you'll enjoy all the Mr. Vampire movies if you haven't already.

I also recommend Black Magic 2.

gently caress, I'm trying to remember that kung fu movie about warring martial arts families where everyone is shooting lasers at each other and has lightsabers. I'm sure somebody knows what I'm talking about. Might have been Buddha's Palm.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 26, 2021

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

meefistopheles posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for martial arts films that kind of blend in the supernatural? Supernatural ranging from wirework to laser swords. Anything with fancy camera tricks and interesting practical effects would be a great bonus.

Holy Flame of the Martial World

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012

meefistopheles posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for martial arts films that kind of blend in the supernatural? Supernatural ranging from wirework to laser swords. Anything with fancy camera tricks and interesting practical effects would be a great bonus. I've seen a few already, so if it's something you'd like to check out I would really recommend:

Dragon Inn

The Miracle Fighters
Come Drink With Me
A Touch of Zen
The Seventh Curse

Seconding Holy Flame of the Martial World. The Battle Wizard is worse but still fun. If you liked The Miracle Fighters you will also enjoy Shaolin Drunkard and Taosim Drunkard. It has been a while so I'm not completely sure it fits your list but I liked The Bride With White Hair a lot. And while Tsui Hark's Green Snake isn't that special as far as action is concerned the style and the capricious snake demons make more than up for it.

This reminds me, if you ever wanted to see a trailer that contains the whole movie (including the main theme!) while being way better than the actual movie, here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFN9YTTl8Jo

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Mantis42 posted:

I was able to get a copy of Golgo 13 Assignment Kowloon and I loved it. I'm a fan of the comics and the movie really captured that. If you haven't read the comics it won't have the same appeal.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

meefistopheles posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for martial arts films that kind of blend in the supernatural?

Legend of the Sacred Stone, the only puppet martial arts film I'm aware of.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

meefistopheles posted:

A Chinese Ghost Story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIDCU467dCA

(Trailer isnt that great, the movie is though)

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

meefistopheles posted:

Dragon Inn

The Miracle Fighters
Come Drink With Me
A Touch of Zen
The Seventh Curse

Somebody already mentioned Buddha's Palm, I'm seconding that. I'll also recommend Thrilling Sword from 1981:

https://youtu.be/MDRdT0N5UH4

Low budget "lazer wuxia" madness from Taiwan with a weirdo man-in-a-suit monster and lots and lots of cheesy optical effects

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
How about Kibakichi, my favorite werewolf samurai movie

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

meefistopheles posted:

Dragon Inn

The Miracle Fighters
Come Drink With Me
A Touch of Zen
The Seventh Curse

What you're interested in is "wuxia" which some argue aren't quite "martial arts" movies so much as a different genre of fantasy entirely. Sort of like how there are "action movies" in general, but "superhero movies" are a specific variant thing within that umbrella. That sort of martial heroes/martial fantasy action is the descriptor for more or less all of the movies you named there, so here are some other examples. Most of these are from the early 90s since that's the stuff I know, but also because once The Storm Riders hit it big in 1998, this style of movie switched away almost entirely from practical effects in favor of mostly using CGI instead.

Bastard Swordsman and its sequel
The Evil Cult aka Kung Fu Cult Master
Swordsman 2
The New Legend of Shaolin
Butterfly and Sword (sometimes it's listed as Comet Butterfly and Sword)
Duel to the Death (kind of the OG example of this style in my book, even though there are films preceding it by decades)
Legend of the Liquid Sword

If you're into the puppet mayhem of Legend of the Sacred Stone, the company that made that (their name is "Pili") has actually been doing glove puppet wuxia stories for over 35 years. The most readily accessible by far is Thunderbolt Fantasy which has three seasons (a fourth was just announced) and two movies. All of that is available subtitled in English on Crunchyroll, though their subtitles do this annoying thing where the characters all speak Japanese but the subtitles are transliterations of what that same name would be if spoken in Chinese. For example, the main character's name is spoken as "Sho Fukan" but in the subtitles it's written as "Shāng Bů Huŕn." Fortunately, everybody has a moniker they also go by e.g. "Edgeless Blade" or "Screaming Phoenix Killer" which is far easier to remember.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Seconding Thunderbolt Fantasy. It's one of my favorite shows of all time.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/smoothposer/status/1438630615025389571?s=19

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Got the new Duel to the Death bluray from Eureka. Great movie.

https://i.imgur.com/lfOh5ae.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/vSWrqFH.mp4

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Holy poo poo

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Wow. That looks great.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Just want to second that Duel to the Death owns. Some gorgeous locations too and I love the way the movie is shot and edited, like you can really feel how much work went into shooting it

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The last time I had Bruce Lee films in my library was back when they were on VHS tapes, and the one that I knew growing up as “Fists of Fury” was actually meant to be called “The Big Boss” and “The Chinese Connection” was actually called “Fist of Fury”

I finally bit the bullet and got the criterion set that has all of them. I’ve been watching them for several days, and they are awesome.

The films look great. You can watch with the old dubs recorded in the 70s of course, but you can also use the Cantonese audio track or the Mandarin one, with English subs. And there are some differences in the music and sound effects on a couple of the films, depending on which audio track you use.

As is often the case with dubbed films, the subtitles sometimes make a little more sense than the dubbed lines.

Some of the scenes are longer, and there are some additional scenes that weren’t in the old versions I knew from the VHS days.

Each film has a commentary track, most of them done by a guy named Mike Leeder, a Hong Kong based British actor/producer who is something of a martial arts film historian. Unfortunately the commentary tracks sound like they were recorded on a Skype call with a poor internet connection, but they are pretty interesting.

There are also something like ten hours of documentaries, interviews, and various other extras. It’s a great set.

e: this is probably an unusual opinion, because Enter the Dragon is by far the most polished of all the films, but my favorite has always been Fist of Fury.

I think it has the best plot of all his films. Lee’s character Chen is absolutely unhinged, and it is intense, and it really plays. That scene where he goes alone into the Japanese dojo to confront all of them is truly epic, and the overhead shot at about 2:13 of this clip is the one thing I always think of first when it comes to Bruce Lee films.

I love the music, the cinematography, and I love the dark tone.

The guy on the commentary track says if you removed the scene where Chen lifts up the rickshaw with the passenger by its handles, the shot where he spins around holding two obvious dummies, and the scene in the final duel where he and the final boss jump fifteen feet up into the air, the film would be perfect. I agree.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 16, 2021

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Bruce Lee was definitely my, and probably most peoples, gateway to the awesome world of kung fu movies. I haven't picked up the Criterion set yet, glad to hear that they did a good job on it. IDK how controversial the opinion is but I agree with you about Enter the Dragon - I'd probably put both Fists and Way above it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Double post but I'm gonna find it difficult to not buy this Shaw Bros boxset

https://www.amazon.com/Shawscope-One-8-Disc-Limited-Blu-ray/dp/B0997LX85L

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Mantis42 posted:

Double post but I'm gonna find it difficult to not buy this Shaw Bros boxset

https://www.amazon.com/Shawscope-One-8-Disc-Limited-Blu-ray/dp/B0997LX85L

This and the Criterion Once Upon A Time In China boxset are really gonna gently caress my budget up in a month.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Barnes and Noble sale is next month I believe, so you can at least get the China set for half off.

I ordered Shaw Scope set through Diabolik a few months back so that money is already gone.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Just got my Shawscope box and this thing is a BRICK. I'm really excited to start digging into the individual discs.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I watched King Boxer for the first time and that was a trip. Shawscope is going to open my eyes to how much I've been missing reference wise in media that calls back to these flicks.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Just finished The Boxer From Shantung and the downer ending was so unexpected that I'm just confused. Film definitely got its point across, but I don't think I've seen another movie in this genre end this way yet. Shawscope is exposing me to some good stuff.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I watched Crippled Avengers and was taken aback by the abruptness of the ending. I kinda liked that though, better than drawing it out.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

A lot of the "heroic bloodshed" movies have downer endings.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Five Shaolin Masters next. The group dynamic is a bit stiff and there's no team fights but overall I liked it. I'd seen this before on bootleg mall kiosk dvd and I definitely missed a lot of the plot then. Messenger dude was a real one.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
There's one I've seen, Mantis Boxer or something, that ends mid blow. The hero punches or kicks the villain in half and it ends right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Shaolin Mantis, maybe. I can't remember how it ends, all these Shaw films blend together and a lot of them that abruptly.