Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

slinkimalinki posted:

New Zealand doesn't need you to visit. The world is not your playground.

This is the first nationwide lockdown in over a year, and the first community case since February (so yes the first "single positive test" in the community since February).

Sorry you live in a failed state, but other countries are allowed to do better.

My concerns were already answered. Thanks for the assumptions, hopefully putting me in my place makes you feel better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

Got vaccinated earlier this month but lucked out and caught covid a few days before., symptoms didn't hit until a day after my first vaccine.

I wasn't ever a anti vaxxer, I just sort of have been watching the cases from the spring into the summer trend downwards, so I was just continuing to wear my mask and hope for the best, thinking the numbers trending downwards at that time was a sign of the end, finally. When Delta first started making the rounds it got my attention, and into maybe a few weeks of it I decided to get my shot so I scheduled it and ended up getting it on August the 5th, my first shot of Pfizer vaccine. A day afterwards I started to feel crappy, I was thinking maybe it was just a crap shot of people who have that kind of reaction to the second shot but it was just affecting me for the first one, anyways my work wanted me to get tested so I did, came back positive and over the course of the next week got really loving sick, like for about 5 days there it was very tough. I had a video visit with my doctor, he told me the warning signs to look for if I was going to go to the ER and to monitor my blood oxygen levels, after about 4 days of being really bad off my doctor put me in for antibody infusion treatment, and about the next day after getting that done I admit it was the first I started to feel better, it's been slow on the mend since then so I'm just sort of taking things day by day, only thing that really concerns me is my resting heart rate seems to be elevated, maybe 10-15 bpm over what it would normally be even resting in bed, sitting up, walking, or the light duty I tried to get on my exercise bike and move my legs a bit.

I'm not sure how hosed I am in terms of this, I called my health insurance and they have a nurse line I can speak to for free, I described my situation and concerns and they didn't really seem all that worried about it. Work wants me to return since I'm not showing symptoms, and while I'm ready to return to work, I'm now sort of afraid of getting myself hosed up by overdoing it. Light duty really doesn't exist in my line of work.

Also sort of interested in if my first shot of vaccine was 'useless' since I legit caught covid and it just didn't hit until I was vaccinated, and due to the antibody infusion I have to wait 90 days before I can get my second vaccine shot.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

latinotwink1997 posted:

My concerns were already answered. Thanks for the assumptions, hopefully putting me in my place makes you feel better.

I'm pretty sure that like 99,98 % of Australians and New Zealanders would be perfectly okay if both countries kept the proverbial drawbridge pulled up even long after COVID becomes manageable.

Goons going from zero to "gently caress off mate, we're full" to your pretty normal question is also :discourse:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Hey Georgia, im next door in Florida can i have one of those for my 3rd and get it out of the way. gently caress

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

slinkimalinki posted:

Sorry you live in a failed state, but other countries are allowed to do better.

A country that believes it's good or legal to strand its own citizens outside the country is not a shining example of a functional state.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

This might be the time IN MY LIFETIME where I support the Federal government interfering in State issues in an extremely aggressive manner

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

iroguebot posted:

Got vaccinated earlier this month but lucked out and caught covid a few days before., symptoms didn't hit until a day after my first vaccine.

I’m sure you will get poo poo on here for posting this, but sorry you got the bad roll of the dice. Looking back at it, can you say how safe you were really being with mask usage? We’re you wearing it all day at a physical job? Hanging out in houses/restaurants with people? Choosing to not get vaccinated ASAP seems so crazy, to me.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

iroguebot posted:

Also sort of interested in if my first shot of vaccine was 'useless' since I legit caught covid and it just didn't hit until I was vaccinated, and due to the antibody infusion I have to wait 90 days before I can get my second vaccine shot.

On the bright side, once you get that second jab and add the vaxx antibodies to your 'natural' antibodies you'll have some of the highest efficacy protection against re-infection

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Galewolf posted:

I'm pretty sure that like 99,98 % of Australians and New Zealanders would be perfectly okay if both countries kept the proverbial drawbridge pulled up even long after COVID becomes manageable.

Goons going from zero to "gently caress off mate, we're full" to your pretty normal question is also :discourse:

They can have that attitude, but I remain convinced that COVID is here to stay. There's no eradication end-game, only learning to live with it. Thankfully the vaccines are phenomenally good at keeping people from getting hospitalized and dying, and once those are fully distributed across the world COVID will end up as just another seasonal virus we have to live with.

Lockdowns have worked for New Zealand, not for Australia, but they certainly won't and can't work forever. I suspect that as the vaccination rates in those countries head up towards 70-80% the public at large will begin to accept the inevitability of living with COVID, and they'll open back up.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/19/up-to-100-may-already-be-infected-in-new-zealand-covid-outbreak-modelling-says

quote:

New Zealand’s coronavirus cluster has grown to 21, with a strong link discovered to a case at the border, as the country began day two of a national lockdown.

On Thursday, New Zealand reported another 11 cases of the Delta variant in the community, all in Auckland.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MrQwerty posted:

This might be the time IN MY LIFETIME where I support the Federal government interfering in State issues in an extremely aggressive manner

MrQwerty posted:

extremely aggressive

I hate to break it to you but ...

https://twitter.com/RandyOnEd/status/1428100056029224963

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

On the bright side, once you get that second jab and add the vaxx antibodies to your 'natural' antibodies you'll have some of the highest efficacy protection against re-infection

.. from the current variant.

Very likely the next variant will not have significant cross immunity from previous infection.

Glad you are recovering and will be getting fully vaxx'd.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

How are u posted:

They can have that attitude, but I remain convinced that COVID is here to stay. There's no eradication end-game, only learning to live with it. Thankfully the vaccines are phenomenally good at keeping people from getting hospitalized and dying, and once those are fully distributed across the world COVID will end up as just another seasonal virus we have to live with.

I have accepted that this is how things will be going forward, because all signs seem to point to this. I'm hoping booster shots are very effective.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
Are New Zealanders now clamoring to get the Vax? In Canada we did a semi-ok job locking down which created a lot of desire for the shot so we can move on. I couldn't imagine doing as fantastic a job as NZ and then shrugging at the vaccine.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I mean, can you blame me for getting my hopes up after how aggressively Desnatis and Abbott have been murdering children?

It doesn't mention those two states tho

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 19, 2021

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Purgatory Glory posted:

Are New Zealanders now clamoring to get the Vax? In Canada we did a semi-ok job locking down which created a lot of desire for the shot so we can move on. I couldn't imagine doing as fantastic a job as NZ and then shrugging at the vaccine.

Both Canada and New Zealand are free from Murdoch-owned media, so I expect NZ to have a vaccine rate much more like Canada than the US or Oz.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

How are u posted:

Lockdowns have worked for New Zealand, not for Australia, but they certainly won't and can't work forever. I suspect that as the vaccination rates in those countries head up towards 70-80% the public at large will begin to accept the inevitability of living with COVID, and they'll open back up.

The official Australian government four phase plan is to raise the vaccination rates up to a point where the continual ongoing covid illnesses & deaths only ever get as bad as an influenza outbreak and then "just live with it". Borders will be open but travelers from high risk countries will have to quarantine on entry.

quote:

The fourth and final phase of the government's four-step plan sees things as "normal" as possible, with international borders finally set to open back up.

Australia will seek to treat COVID-19 like any other infectious disease, with the goal to minimize cases without ongoing restrictions or lockdowns.

Some restrictions will continue to remain in place, including:

- Quarantine for high-risk inbound travellers
- Boosters as necessary
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-30/national-cabinet-four-phase-plan-out-of-covid-pandemic/100339314

Edit: whether they'll actually be able to get the vaxx rate high enough is another thing altogether

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

iroguebot posted:

I'm not sure how hosed I am in terms of this, I called my health insurance and they have a nurse line I can speak to for free, I described my situation and concerns and they didn't really seem all that worried about it. Work wants me to return since I'm not showing symptoms, and while I'm ready to return to work, I'm now sort of afraid of getting myself hosed up by overdoing it. Light duty really doesn't exist in my line of work.
Like not getting vaxed, it's a roll of the dice. Hopefully your remaining symptoms go away soon, but they could be permanent.

quote:

You caught covid at least a few days before you got vaccinated. It's not that the shot was useless, but it couldn't prevent it since you already had it. Two weeks after the second shot, I think you can consider yourself as vaxed as anyone who had two shots.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart
Our (very small town) hospital has been posting updates about covid cases in their ICU. Check out this genius in the comments. I wonder where this 'statistic' came from?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

tagesschau posted:

A country that believes it's good or legal to strand its own citizens outside the country is not a shining example of a functional state.

A bit of Googling confirms that New Zealand citizens can reenter the country any time they want, so why did you post this?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MrQwerty posted:

I mean, can you blame me for getting my hopes up after how aggressively Desnatis and Abbott have been murdering children?

It doesn't mention those two states tho

Apparently they already got letters, here's an article about Texas:

quote:

Last week, U.S. Education Secretary Miguel A. Cardona sent Abbott and Texas Education Agency Commissioner Mike Morath a letter expressing support for local school districts that have implemented mask mandates.

Cardona said in the letter that school districts had received COVID-19 relief funds to use for “contact tracing, implementing indoor masking policies, or other policies aligned with CDC guidance” and that the federal government was monitoring whether the state’s ban was in line with fiscal requirements attached to those funds. Texas has received $18 billion for public schools in COVID-19 relief dollars from the federal government, and has already released $11 billion of it to the districts to spend.
https://www.kwtx.com/2021/08/18/biden-takes-aim-states-blocking-mask-mandates-setting-abbott-up-showdown-with-feds/

Oooooh they politely reminded them of the "fiscal requirements" oooooooooooooooooh they mad

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

If they tried to actually force a mask mandate it would get shot down regardless but I mean at least they are trying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIPSvIz9NDs&t=39s

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Fedora Guy got the roni real bad :(

https://www.tmz.com/2021/08/19/jerry-messing-fedora-guy-covid-ventilator-freaks-and-geeks/

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

single dose vaccinated

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

QuarkJets posted:

A bit of Googling confirms that New Zealand citizens can reenter the country any time they want, so why did you post this?

A bit of Googling confirms that some people have been trying to return to New Zealand for months. The New Zealand government is clearly in no rush to help its citizens exercise their right to enter the country.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

arnt the vax rates relatively low in NZ and OZ because they pulled up the drawbridge and relied on isolating?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Oh no

Not LETTERS

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

numberoneposter posted:

arnt the vax rates relatively low in NZ and OZ because they pulled up the drawbridge and relied on isolating?

No, like most of the rest of the world they do not have an adequate supply of vaccines.

Somehow most Americans, when discussing any other country exclaims "Why don't they get vaccinated what is wrong with them??!", while tossing millions of doses in the garbage.

:magemage:

Blitter fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 19, 2021

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Oh no

Not LETTERS

Sternly written letters, I'm sure.

The letter:

-Pwease no ban mask mandandes uwu, pwetty pwease

President Man

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

So what exactly do you think Federal government can do? This is a total no win situation.

Its major power here is fiscal and we’ve already seen Republican run states are happy to refuse money (see: ACA).

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 19, 2021

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Oh no

Not LETTERS

DOE already said they'll replace salaries at any school where DeSantis strips that funding away for taking COVID precautions

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

I know I posted this before but... these same people waving signs screaming "My body my choice!!" are the exact same demographic who are mouth-frothingly against abortions.

The irony would be hilarious, except for the fact that, ya know, we're all gonna die.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
They know that. It's not like they came up with it at random. They're saying it on purpose because they feel it reveals the hypocrisy on the other side.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

gently caress you antivaxxers, you're the villains

https://twitter.com/WUTangKids/status/1428104545641631744?s=20

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

How effective are the shots right now?

3 ladies I work with had both doses of phizer and got knocked out for over a week with corona.

I have both of the moderna shots and work in the same building.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Still pretty effective from what we can tell (exact numbers are all over the map though), but there's so much delta out there now that the risks are high for everyone.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Is getting a hair cut a bad idea if I'm vaxxed? I'm guessing most any place I go to there's like a 50/50 chance here that they'd even wear a mask since I live in a dumb red state.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Does concentration of virus have an effect on whether it "breaks through" the vaccine?

I work for a school system and we're all masked up, but sitting in a room/building all day makes me wonder if that raises the chances of a breakthrough.

And just as an aside, holy poo poo has this completely destroyed multiple school years of education now. I am teaching 2nd graders who have not been in school since the end of kindergarten and they've just lost everything.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

spacetoaster posted:

Does concentration of virus have an effect on whether it "breaks through" the vaccine?
Almost certainly, though the specifics aren't nailed down.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

3 ladies I work with had both doses of phizer and got knocked out for over a week with corona.

How old and fat are those ladies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

If they didn’t die, that’s technically a success

Ginette Reno posted:

Is getting a hair cut a bad idea if I'm vaxxed? I'm guessing most any place I go to there's like a 50/50 chance here that they'd even wear a mask since I live in a dumb red state.

I remember some podcast (TWIV I think) from last year about how some haircut studio had been exposed a bunch of times and nobody got it because they were all wearing masks, but that was with OG Covid