Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Biowarfare posted:

how loving absurdly underpaid are you that you can get 8x what you make

When I went from EMS to EHS I quadrupled my hourly rate and went from 48 hours a week to 60-72.

Then again EMS is underpaid as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

champagne posting posted:

At 8x my salary I would do some truly heinous poo poo. gently caress I'd be brand manager at Palantir

Honestly, I'd go back to the coal mine for 8 times minimum wage, much less my current wage.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Biowarfare posted:

how loving absurdly underpaid are you that you can get 8x what you make

Lol I make barely more than the person doing order entry. I am paid hourly. I was originally hired as an admin and failed upward rapidly in a dying small business in a failing market sector.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I never understood why people didn't just give raises instead of the sole way to get cost of living increases being to job hop every year. Why would you want to waste all the money you spent training them, all the efficiency gains from the people that know your business best and can do things quickly because they already know how things are done, over a few dollars an hour

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Also never work in tech or sales for a small business unless you really, really like the abuse. I'm happy to see light at the end of the tunnel.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Biowarfare posted:

I never understood why people didn't just give raises instead of the sole way to get cost of living increases being to job hop every year. Why would you want to waste all the money you spent training them, all the efficiency gains from the people that know your business best and can do things quickly because they already know how things are done, over a few dollars an hour

Because they think they can save a few bucks an hour hiring someone cheaper. And they don't value what you do.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Biowarfare posted:

Because any kind of cuts can be explained as x money * y time = I saved the company texa$.

Any paying talent to retain it can be pointed at the same way but you cost the company money. You can't graph how this employee is holding everything together in a PowerPoint.

If you go the cut route you're promoted away from the impending failure you've caused. Blame your replacement or switch jobs.

And it works at all levels because there's no loyalty without pensions so who gives a gently caress if the company I worked at 3 jobs ago is dying because I gutted it as a spring board.

Top level bonuses should have a clawback if the company implodes.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Today two of my co-workers explained in earnest why it should be legal to run over protesters if they are in “the way.”

Edit: “what about my right to travel, bro?”

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

champagne posting posted:

At 8x my salary I would do some truly heinous poo poo. gently caress I'd be brand manager at Palantir

Yeah that's a bit weird. If I was paid 8x my current salary I would retire in a few years from the investments I would make alone. They must be at a minimum wage/starter or intern wage.

edit: I'd suck dick all day for 8x my current salary

Lascivious Sloth fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 19, 2021

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Yeah that's a bit weird. If I was paid 8x my current salary I would retire in a few years from the investments I would make alone. They must be at a minimum wage/starter or intern wage.

gently caress that I'm gonna be a supervillain

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Lascivious Sloth posted:

It is not. It is a poo poo tier small business in hospitality.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Ehhh that may not be feasible, if you were making so little that you can octuple your yearly income in one job move at least the first year or so can go towards digging out of any financial hole you were in.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah if you octuple the (USA) Federal minimum wage of $7.25/hr, you’d be making $58/hr. That’s middle to upper-middle class money depending on what part of the country you live in but it’s not gently caress-off-to-a-yacht money.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Mormon Nailer posted:

Lol I have an interview with a brand we distribute. My boss doesn't know. He's not gonna know unless he gets an email from me with @thebrand.com.

I feel no shame about being poached because it's full WFH, about 8x what I make plus benefits.

Go get it! Good luck!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Steakandchips posted:

Go get it! Good luck!

Go get paid!

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

I got passed to the next round of interviews. I would be going back to my previous industry and getting paid software money again, whereas right now I'm paid basically mid-tier administrative assistant at a small business in the US money, while doing a lot of things at a sub-ten-person company. Compensation range for potential new job is in line with previous jobs I had before my life exploded, I moved 3000 miles and had to take this job to scratch by.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Heh, yessssss

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Also, I know y'all are mostly engineers, but laying this out:

People in hospitality and hospitality connected industries including distribution and logistics are paid much less and overworked basically to the point of breaking at all times, but especially currently. There are not benefits offered generally at all, you are kept to less than full time hours on a schedule but often work 60+ hours a week, your title does not come with additional compensation, and bonuses are things that happen to other people.

I've worked in a distribution office the entire pandemic, plus six months before that. I do everything from direct order management to sales negotiation to doing software and hardware support to being the administrator for our ERP. It's a lot of hats, I am very tired and I really look forward to not getting 4am emails with someone screaming they're out of product X and we HAVE to overnight it RIGHT NOW or else we all get poo poo canned.

I would have walked earlier but live in one of those places that you can't get unemployment if you quit, and they will fight you on it if you try. And I don't currently have the kind of support network that would let me do that with any sort of safety net because of aforementioned life explosion.

So I'm applying for things and sending out lifelines and one maybe came through. I have a different interview lined up with a different place Friday afternoon post-work; again, a previous industry and role I've held, touching computers primarily, with benefits and compensation in line with what I previously made, fully remote, with actual equipment provided.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Good luck and goonspeed to a better job :marc:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's never been a better time to get you some in logistics and seemingly hospitality than right now. Lots of angles to make a move or get a wage and benefit check because they just can't keep these positions filled right now.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

I've straight up told people that if they have the skills and land another job, just loving walk, it's not worth staying in this loving industry.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Mormon Nailer posted:

Burn this idiot system to the ground. I have to fight to pay staff a living wage and it might not even be feasible in the long run.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Outrail posted:

Burn this idiot system to the ground. I have to fight to pay staff a living wage and it might not even be feasible in the long run.

Yup. They worked my last order processing/customer service person so hard they had a mental breakdown at work and got picked up by their spouse and we never heard from them again. I did their last paycheck via direct deposit as soon as payroll hit.

My boss still poo poo talks them, about how they're "just aren't dedicated to the cause." Bruh, we sell people boxes and the boxes go in the truck and the trucks go to hubs and then to other trucks and then people use the thing and throw it away. It's not like we're loving out here saving lives. It's literally creating more waste that leads to the heat death of the universe in an industry that should be focused on safety but is instead saying "sure thing, bring your deadly viruses here!!!!"

I hate this poo poo.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

I just asked for a day off so I can go have a tooth pulled that I broke grinding my teeth. I was told "we can't really spare anyone right now."

Just a few more weeks.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

zedprime posted:

There's never been a better time to get you some in logistics and seemingly hospitality than right now. Lots of angles to make a move or get a wage and benefit check because they just can't keep these positions filled right now.

This isn't even a hospitality thing. Want a substantial raise? Leave your company and go to a new one. Your current company is not interested in paying you what you think you're worth. Either enjoy your quality of life like 2% raise every year, or you can go somewhere else and just make 15%-20% more out the gate to deal with the same bullshit.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Mormon Nailer posted:

I just asked for a day off so I can go have a tooth pulled that I broke grinding my teeth. I was told "we can't really spare anyone right now."

Just a few more weeks.

Can you take it as a sick day (where they pay you of course), without asking to take a sick day, and just tell them you are taking a sick day?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

vyst posted:

This isn't even a hospitality thing. Want a substantial raise? Leave your company and go to a new one. Your current company is not interested in paying you what you think you're worth. Either enjoy your quality of life like 2% raise every year, or you can go somewhere else and just make 15%-20% more out the gate to deal with the same bullshit.
It's salary life since forever, the point is it's not normally a hospitality line worker thing. They haven't really been able to do that very often in a hell of working 2 33 hour part time jobs without benefits and right now those sorts of places are like "we'll give you $1000 sign on and benefits."

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Mormon Nailer posted:

Just a few more weeks.

Dang, that is bad. Would you be able to just say "urgent medical issue" for the day off? I mean it's true.

After tinkering with obscure options in a program critical to my company I figured out a way to complete a task that was going to take a week of manual data entry in about an hour. I was about to share this super helpful info, then realized as I have no backup there is no one who would be interested. Just throw it in the silo of institutional knowledge to be lost when I (hopefully) transfer out.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mormon Nailer posted:

Just a few more weeks.
Like this poo poo, just don't show up. If they can't spare you for a day you're not getting fired, you have them by their balls not the other way around.

An entire underprivileged class has power they have never had in decades if not forever and they've been conditioned from birth to have no idea how to exercise it.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

They straight up fired someone who had a miscarriage this week, so, yeah they do have the balls.
They genuinely do not give a gently caress about humans, this is why I'm trying to get out.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

:stare:

That... can't be legal... right?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

AHH F/UGH posted:

I think the problem here is going to be once they get done firing everybody for illegal reasons they aren't gonna get any valuable work done and they'll go bankrupt before they pay out for any lawsuits.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

zedprime posted:

I think the problem here is going to be once they get done firing everybody for illegal reasons they aren't gonna get any valuable work done and they'll go bankrupt before they pay out for any lawsuits.

Yes exactly, it's circling the drain hard and fast. They lost three major contracts due to my boss literally telling people to go gently caress themselves over and over.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

AHH F/UGH posted:

At will employment is a hell of a thing. So long as the employer finds a different reason to say they fired you there isn't much you can do. It can be complete nonsense, so long as the reason they list isn't discriminatory the employee is pretty much just screwed.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Florida is an at will work state just in case you thought the state deserved a faster descent into the Atlantic.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Lazyfire posted:

At will employment is a hell of a thing. So long as the employer finds a different reason to say they fired you there isn't much you can do. It can be complete nonsense, so long as the reason they list isn't discriminatory the employee is pretty much just screwed.
Completely baseless reasons usually fall apart if the employee kept any of their own records so even in at will HR will keep a file. HR are alien robots but despite their best efforts managers are still poo poo for brains who will type in something obviously discriminatory in the file so you're not always hung out to dry. But yeah, if HR is paying attention and doing their job it's a huge battle.

E. If you're really paranoid, save your perf evaluations, save any positive communications or communications about protected stuff with your boss. Don't save demerits etc. The company might lose them and you'll be pissed at yourself when your own copies end up in legal discovery. You can roll over the dolts who give you 4 positive evaluations in a row and then list the reason as 'performance.'

zedprime fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 19, 2021

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Lol. We don't have HR. We have my boss, who owns the C-corp.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Also what performance evaluations? I get screamed at. That's it. I sold a multi million dollar contract and got told I don't know how to sell and that I'm stupid, and also, I still get paid hourly with no commission.

This is what people don't get. I mean small business, sub ten people, in hospitality. We sell stuff to hotels. It's a pandemic and supply chains are hosed.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mormon Nailer posted:

Also what performance evaluations? I get screamed at. That's it. I sold a multi million dollar contract and got told I don't know how to sell and that I'm stupid, and also, I still get paid hourly with no commission.

This is what people don't get. I mean small business, sub ten people, in hospitality. We sell stuff to hotels. It's a pandemic and supply chains are hosed.
I'm speaking generally because we've already established there's no blood left in your stone. But what I don't get for you, and it's honestly because I don't know your background, location, skillset finances etc. So maybe it isn't as sure as a shot in the logistic markets I'm adjacent to, is why you don't just no show and get a $5k sign on for picking pallets somewhere where you get in line for a clerk/sales position that if it isn't open yet will be in weeks. I don't know a logistic sector that isn't in absolute chaos and paying bounties for truck drivers, fork drivers, clerks etc. because everyone is calling everyone's bluff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Mormon Nailer posted:

Believe me, most of us are aware of just how lucky our situation is, as much as we bitch about it.

vyst posted:

Florida is an at will work state just in case you thought the state deserved a faster descent into the Atlantic.

This is every state except Montana though, as long as you're smart enough to not say it's for a protected reason.