Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Localized? Hasn’t the “measure in inches” system worked around the world for GW for decades?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Ghazk posted:

From the Killteam core rulebook. This makes me so happy, I love shape math!

loving lmfao at this

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Absolutely incredible.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Xenomrph posted:

Localized? Hasn’t the “measure in inches” system worked around the world for GW for decades?

I assume some places don't use Arabic numbers. Or the were going to use S M L for short/ medium/ long and then went shapes for language localization.

(Following the Saga 40k interpretation I'm still on.)

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Does 2 square also work? Help I need assistance with this new math.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The numbers not having any relation to the shapes owns

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Is it just so that you will have to buy the official GW measuring tools?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

moths posted:

I assume some places don't use Arabic numbers.

Not targeting you, Moths, as others have also used localization as the reason, but this argument makes no sense - Hindu Arabic numbers are used all over the game and are recognized in the majority of modern countries. Swapping out symbols that most countries use to represent numbers into symbols that NOBODY uses to represent numbers would be so incredibly stupid that it can't possibly be the case.

If I'm in a country where, for whatever reason, "3" doesn't mean anything, replacing it with "●" means EXACTLY the same thing to me as using an "M" or a ":smith:" emote. Using the shapes as your proprietary measurement system only serves to put everyone on the same confusing footing and force you to write the above referenced statement in the rulebook instead of the obvious "an operative moves in increments of 1"."

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 19, 2021

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

There literally isnt a country on the planet that doesnt use arabic numerals. There are a few that have their own, but even they also use arabic numerals alongside. It is the one thing we as a species have universally agreed on.

It feels like they initially were going to go purely with arbitrary shape-based distances that don't map cleanly to inches to sell their proprietary tools, but along the way someone went "the gently caress is this" so they changed it to map to inches, making the tool redundant but still kept the shape stuff in.

I've griped about the listbuilding, but the rules are otherwise great, except for this one extremely :wtc: thing.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 19, 2021

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I’m going to play the game and I’m going to love the beautiful shapes

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

How did nobody at GW think to at least match shape sizes to the number value?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

GW uses Imperial for measuring and Metric for base sizes. Are we really THAT surprised they would eventually figure out another measuring system to throw into a game?

Ghazk posted:

From the Killteam core rulebook. This makes me so happy, I love shape math!

It's dumb, but at least I can see them putting that into a book because they foresaw the "But can I use the pentagon for 3 circles? Lawl" idiots wasting everyone's time and tried to nip it in the bud.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
Circledari (TM)
Trianganid (TM)
Squarruk (TM)
Primaris Pentagon (TM)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

berzerkmonkey posted:

Swapping out symbols that most countries use to represent numbers into symbols that NOBODY uses to represent numbers would be so incredibly stupid that it can't possibly be the case.

That makes a lot of sense. I really do think someone at GW played Saga and was like "gently caress let's do this" and the shapes are meant as global stand-ins for S M & L. So they're replacements for letters which were themselves replacements for numbers.

I doubt we'll ever get confirmation on this, because they'd need to acknowledge being influenced by an indie game. But there's a lot of Saga peeking through the seams of Kill Team and that's great.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

moths posted:

That makes a lot of sense. I really do think someone at GW played Saga and was like "gently caress let's do this" and the shapes are meant as global stand-ins for S M & L. So they're replacements for letters which were themselves replacements for numbers.

I doubt we'll ever get confirmation on this, because they'd need to acknowledge being influenced by an indie game. But there's a lot of Saga peeking through the seams of Kill Team and that's great.

The ONLY non-"proprietary measuring tool that you can't legally duplicate" reason I can come up with as to why GW is using the shapes in this manner was that they originally had intended to do something similar to BSF where the shapes represented different dice for range and damage, then later decided it was too complicated or bogged things down too much. Molds had already been cut at that time, and it was too late to fully back off, so they had to form the rules around the shapes. No other explanation makes sense to me, since even S / M / L would still have worked, even in non-english countries, since they're still just symbols representing a range band. I dunno.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It might also have keyed to a gimmick die that's no longer involved.

SM&L in another language would have worked functionally, but design generally hates to remind an audience that their language was an afterthought.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
i'm just gonna have a cheat sheet with circle = this and pentagon = that

And then then just measure poo poo in inches

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Can't wait until KT 4.0 launches with numbers as a feature

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

How about Roman numerals?
I, II, III, IV, V, VI

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The entire rule set is written in binary. You want numbers? We’ll give you loving numbers.

Omnissiah be praised

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Virtual Russian posted:

I took that list for another spin - got absolutely slaughtered this time.

Went up against codex marines. Turn one they jumped Terminators onto my Revenant, no damage sustained but the Rev broke and fled. Terrible start. Turn two it lost another assualt, turn three it failed to activate and couldn't shoot a thing, Turn four it killed some stuff, but too little too late. The guardians got pulled apart in assualts, they could dish fire as good as the marines, but just can't take it in return. It didn't help that somehow in 4 turns I failed 6 activations, which is impressive as I never had more than 3 activations on the field at one time.

I'll use the list a bit more, the marines played an exceptional game, and my rolls were terrible, but I can see that the list is pretty fragile. I know the concern was getting shot apart, but it seems the list really falters against good assualters. Still, more games are required.

Right on. Yeah for assaults, aspect warriors are a big upgrade over guardians, especially if you pick the assault-focused ones. But then you're trading off a lot of points cost.

Space marines are just a really good tough army in Epic though, keep that in mind, and assault marines in particular are... good at assaults. I've always struggled against a good Marine list.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 20, 2021

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

berzerkmonkey posted:

The ONLY non-"proprietary measuring tool that you can't legally duplicate" reason I can come up with as to why GW is using the shapes in this manner was that they originally had intended to do something similar to BSF where the shapes represented different dice for range and damage, then later decided it was too complicated or bogged things down too much. Molds had already been cut at that time, and it was too late to fully back off, so they had to form the rules around the shapes. No other explanation makes sense to me, since even S / M / L would still have worked, even in non-english countries, since they're still just symbols representing a range band. I dunno.

This is the only scenario that makes any sense to me.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Having lived in multiple countries where roman alphabets aren't used, SML is about as universally used and understood as Arabic numerals. Globalization is a thing.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

I haven't seen an Spanish rulebook in ages, but I remember a WFB rulebook that used "Movement Units (MU)" instead of inches, as in, 1 UM was the same as 1 inch, but I guess they didn't want us to know we were actually using the imperial system.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Right on. Yeah for assaults, aspect warriors are a big upgrade over guardians, especially if you pick the assault-focused ones. But then you're trading off a lot of points cost.

Space marines are just a really good tough army in Epic though, keep that in mind, and assault marines in particular are... good at assaults. I've always struggled against a good Marine list.

Yeah Marines played well are very formidable. Also yes, picking a unit of aspect warriors would really upgrade my list's raw power, but would cost me an entire activation.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

radlum posted:

I haven't seen an Spanish rulebook in ages, but I remember a WFB rulebook that used "Movement Units (MU)" instead of inches, as in, 1 UM was the same as 1 inch, but I guess they didn't want us to know we were actually using the imperial system.

That’s also a common trope i historical games though, as it makes it easy to use the game with different scales. So for 28mm minis you can use 1 inch as the MU, while you can use 1 cm if you scale it down to 10mm minis for example.

It’s not bad to use an alternative to inches (like MUs or S/M/L). It’s insane to swap it for several different unrelared glyphs.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It'd be fine if they were using ork glyphs.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Annoyed. If the octarius box had the compendium in it, it'd be an instant buy for me. I have enough dudes from various factions around to make a few kill teams, making more of those is a lot more appealing than going full size 40k, I'm ok with the DKoK but the Kommandos look fantastic.

The book being the extra on top of the box is rubbing me really badly. I know :files: are a thing but I'd prefer not to.

e: Preorders on GW Australia just went up too.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 21, 2021

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Eediot Jedi posted:

Annoyed. If the octarius box had the compendium in it, it'd be an instant buy for me. I have enough dudes from various factions around to make a few kill teams, making more of those is a lot more appealing than going full size 40k, I'm ok with the DKoK but the Kommandos look fantastic.

The book being the extra on top of the box is rubbing me really badly. I know :files: are a thing but I'd prefer not to.

e: Preorders on GW Australia just went up too.

yeah it's the worst part of what otherwise seems like an awesome new edition. 100 bucks for the rules alone is too much, and they also want you to buy their essentials kit for the combat gauges which is another 35 bucks. I've had a hard time getting my friends excited about this

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Booyah- posted:

yeah it's the worst part of what otherwise seems like an awesome new edition. 100 bucks for the rules alone is too much, and they also want you to buy their essentials kit for the combat gauges which is another 35 bucks. I've had a hard time getting my friends excited about this

And that's before you've bought a single miniature, assuming you're new.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I just want the Ork Kommandos, but I'm not paying $285 retail or $240 :canada: "bargain prices" for that box for a game I'd need to flip.

Maybe eBay will pan out, or the Kommandos box won't be mega bucks in 6 months :sigh:

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
Hopefully the Kill Teams end up around the price of what a Warcry warband costs. I could see them jacking up the price a little cause it's 40K, but that's the price point I hope they aim for. If the individual teams are mega-expensive along with the rules, then I have no idea how they expect this game to survive past the initial hype (which is already pretty dire).

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Time for ACTUAL HOBBIT-POSTIN

I finally got off my rear end and finished some Hobbits to tag along with my Ringwraiths

I tried OSL for the first time ever!

And they're now at home in the Weathertop 3D print

Not a cell phone in sight. Just 9 friends living in the moment

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Desfore posted:

Hopefully the Kill Teams end up around the price of what a Warcry warband costs.
You are aware the Warcry warbands are already $55 USD, right? They normally have fewer models too, so even if GW puts the KTs out at that price, you're paying a minimum of $120 for the two and $35 for the tools, so you're dropping $155 when you could spend $200 and get all that, the rule book, the Octarius lists and the ork fort for the remaining $45.

Yeah $50 is a LOT for the rules, and $200 is a pricey box, but you're not going to get away cheaply buying everything piecemeal.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Time for ACTUAL HOBBIT-POSTIN

Those are great! I have some LOTR minis lying around I really ought to paint one of these days

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

berzerkmonkey posted:

You are aware the Warcry warbands are already $55 USD, right? They normally have fewer models too, so even if GW puts the KTs out at that price, you're paying a minimum of $120 for the two and $35 for the tools, so you're dropping $155 when you could spend $200 and get all that, the rule book, the Octarius lists and the ork fort for the remaining $45.

Yeah $50 is a LOT for the rules, and $200 is a pricey box, but you're not going to get away cheaply buying everything piecemeal.

Yes, buying the Octarius box is a much better deal than trying to buy everything piecemeal, but that doesn't matter to what I was saying. I was saying, when GW releases the Krieg and Kommando's as individual boxes, I really hope they stick to a similar system they had with Warcry. Granted, $50 for a box of 11 or 12 new GW models is almost absurd looking at their current prices, but imagining a new KT player looking to pick up a team at $60/$70 or more, on top of the rules, accessories, and probably a separately sold Octarius Mission manual (because those teams aren't in the Compendium), just makes me think how put off a new player would be. Remember, this box was a limited release. If you didn't already pre-order it, depending on how the supply shakes out, you might be hosed. It doesn't matter that just buying the complete box is a better deal than piecemeal, when in a few months your only options will be eBay or piecemeal. So just saying, "Sure, every piece of this game is expensive, but just buy the package deal!" doesn't work once the package is gone, and for people that just bought the compendium and want to pick up the teams later.

Plus, I'd like it if future teams were around $50, so I wouldn't have to deal with more box sets after this.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

What is the actual street date for the Octarius Kill Team box? I have no clue why I am struggling to find this info.

I’m just going to blame my job.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Saturday, theoretically.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Work has finally cleared up a bit so I have time to do some painting, which means it's Bone Bois Begin AKA It's Grime Time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Got another game in, swapped out 2 guardians for aspects, managed a win. Was up vs orks, they did a lot of damage, wiping the guardians in an assault, but the aspect warriors had three successful assaults. At the end of turn 3 all I had left was 3 dire avengers, so they took some serious hits, but they punched way above their weight. I'm really liking the wraithgate for minigeddon. The smaller map really adds utility to it.