Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

jimmydalad posted:

Yeah, that's my bad. Edited the post to reflect and clarify.

All good :)

Real excited for a new season of U.K. Don’t get me wrong I’ve enjoyed AS6 but it just doesn’t compare to UK2 and very little has tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
UK has really shot to the top of my list, as far as favorite editions of the show. There isn't a day that goes that i don't remember Ginny Lemons's croc earrings.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

jimmydalad posted:

Yeah, that's my bad. Edited the post to reflect and clarify.
Not to belabor it but since I know you mean well, you may also want to correct your other post. Gottmik is a trans man, not a trans woman.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Stroop There It Is posted:

Not to belabor it but since I know you mean well, you may also want to correct your other post. Gottmik is a trans man, not a trans woman.

Holy poo poo, my brain was not working this morning. Thanks for letting me know!

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

jimmydalad posted:

:siren: HOLY poo poo WE HAVE AN CIS WOMAN DRAG QUEEN :siren:

US Drag Race would never.

Wellllll on season 14 there's apparently a Cishet male/ally so the inclusivity is getting there.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I'm so tired of this misogynistic fanbase (not anyone in this thread, more referring to social media). It takes all of two seconds to see that Victoria Scone is a lesbian, yet social media is already starting with "OH GREAT, STRAIGHT WOMEN ARE INVADING!!" These loving fans have spent years meme-ishly referring to Trixie/Brooke Lynn/whoever as "LESBIAN QUEEN/SAPPHIC GODDESS", but now we get an actual cis lesbian and they're not welcome?! gently caress that.

https://twitter.com/VictoriaScone/status/1427564713601273857

Also I've followed Charity Kase for some time on Instagram and some of their looks, particularly "childhood cartoon character but murderer/murder victim) make me real uncomfortable, in a good way.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

the best part of Dragula is that a broader group of performers are involved. Drag Race has obviously taken efforts to be more inclusive very recently. I think the backlash is a result of the show having a very narrow definition of Drag.

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 18, 2021

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Oh, for sure, I wanted to add "Landon Cider didn't get this kind of bullshit, proving that Dragula has the superior fanbase :colbert:" but a) the Dragula fanbase is also much smaller, and b) Landon is a drag king, not a hyper queen. Still, I'm pleased to see RPDR becoming more inclusive, even if you cynically believe (like I do) that Rupaul just wants to move away from the previous backlash of her "Cis women or post-transition trans women can't compete, it's CHEATING!"

(Apologies, don't know if "post-transition" or "transitioned" are a correct term...they seem "off", particularly the latter, but not sure of a better phrasing.)

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

To be honest, hyper queen is a fantastic term and I wish I had a chance to use it in life more.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Yeah, I believe the older term was "bio queen", but some folks have since pointed out that term sort of perpetuates the whole problematic trans-exclusionary "biological woman" term, so "hyper queen" is much preferred.

There's more hyper queens out there than you think! Hell, look at Lady Gaga (or at least her older fashion/work), Cher, Dolly Parton...she's been brought up in this thread before, but Creme Fatale is one of my favorites.

https://www.instagram.com/cremefatale/?hl=en

Roxxy Andrews even has a drag son who is a hyper king!

https://www.instagram.com/axelandrews88/?hl=en

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Read After Burning posted:

(Apologies, don't know if "post-transition" or "transitioned" are a correct term...they seem "off", particularly the latter, but not sure of a better phrasing.)
Both are perfectly acceptable, post-transition is a little more common though. :)

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

Oh, my goodness, I remember we had a similar discussion when Tamisha Iman said that she didn't think biological women can do drag!

Hug in a Can posted:

I'm not sure if there's generally agreed-upon terminology for cis women queens - I've seen "AFAB queen" to include nonbinary and transmasc AFAB queens but it's kind of invasive, and "bioqueen" and "hyperqueen" feel like they pull attention away from the actual drag element of it. Personally, as a cis woman who does femme drag performances as a hobby, I'm fine with anything and prefer to just say "cis woman drag queen" when it's relevant, but different people have different preferences :)

I use "cis woman drag queen" when my gender out-of-drag is relevant to the conversation. "Hyperqueen" is cute, but "drag queen" is best :)

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Hug in a Can posted:

Oh, my goodness, I remember we had a similar discussion when Tamisha Iman said that she didn't think biological women can do drag!

Tamisha really burned each and every single bridge didn't she?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

All the transphobia Nina Bonina Brown threw towards Gottmik in S13 (and attempted to throw at Aiden and Jan in S12) still makes me so fuckin' mad to this day. Gottmik was apparently able to brush it off (or at least made a joke about it in her video with Trixie), but still. Yuck.

Nina B. Brown really was one of those "WE WERE ROOTING FOR YOU!!!!" queens for me. Such a talent, wasted on such a nasty person.

(For context, Nina said that Aiden and Jan out of drag "look FtM" and had several comments to make about Gottmik, including talking about her "curves" in her LBD runway. As if Gottmik doesn't have an ideal, "passing" body and/or a figure similar to AMAB queens such as Violet or Aquaria.)

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 18, 2021

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I thought Veronica Green would be guaranteed top three on the next UK season but seeing these promos I'm not too sure. My early top three would be Charity/Kitty/Vanity.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

There's more hyper queens out there than you think! Hell, look at Lady Gaga (or at least her older fashion/work), Cher, Dolly Parton...she's been brought up in this thread before, but Creme Fatale is one of my favorites.

Hell, even Michelle Visage borders on hyper queen with a lot of her more outlandish looks, especially during the middle seasons where she was matching the runway theme or challenge. Wasn't there a "dress like Michelle" challenge recently?

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

curiousTerminal posted:

Hell, even Michelle Visage borders on hyper queen with a lot of her more outlandish looks, especially during the middle seasons where she was matching the runway theme or challenge. Wasn't there a "dress like Michelle" challenge recently?

that’s the one Jan was wildly ROBBED on and Gigi won wearing a bikini and zero padding or tiddy.

I’m still offended.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Weirdly, I just rewatched that episode tonight and still don't know how Gigi got so much praise for that runway.

AS6 new ep: one of the most entertaining hours I've spent in a long time, although I hated the Ariana Grande song.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Honestly, the episode was worth it just for Silky lipsyncing to Barbie Girl alone. The flashback to Season 7.

Raccoonboy
May 31, 2011
okay, the game within the game was worth the wait

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Not gonna lie, I wasn't expecting much going in, but that was a really fun episode.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
That was a fun episode, and my theory about the format of the game within a game turned out to be correct. Thoughts: I'm not a fan of Silky, but she absolutely earned each win, even the week Akeria forfeit. There were several songs where it was clear that Silky simply didn't know the words to parts of the song, and would either just make random mouth motions, turn away, or simply do some comic relief. She relied heavily on props, to the point where I have to wonder if they were actually told which songs to prepare lip syncs for before they even came on the show. But she was undeniably charismatic in each one, and she was not up against a strong group of lip syncers. I know we won't find out until next week whether Silky or Eureka won that final lip sync, but I'm just assuming Silky did because Ru loves her so much.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

If Ru is considering just that lip sync then Eureka clearly took it. Also I want more mad Jan.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

subpar anachronism posted:

Also I want more mad Jan.

Yeah, she came out looking PISSED.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

That was great.

Silky definitely came to play and earned her way to the end. The only real challenges were A'Keria (self-elimination) and Eureka, but as others have said that shouldn't matter. Silky had a plan and executed it perfectly until that last Lip Sync.

I would think Eureka earned the win, but we could also have the two of them return as well. I wouldn't be mad if that happens.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I think Jan knew that she was never gonna be brought back anyway. :v:

It was the perfect song to channel all of that though. I thought she won it by a slight margin, even.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

loving ridiculous.

I absolutely HATE when a queen leans on stunts and Silky depended on stunts for nearly all of those, and imo clearly lost a couple. most heavy-handed producer fuckery I’ve seen in a while.

If it’s not Eureka I may just dip entirely tbh.

Raccoonboy
May 31, 2011
Pulling a whole bar out her titties? The barbie girl solo lipsync? the guitar?! legendary icon status tbh

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

the escape goat posted:

loving ridiculous.

I absolutely HATE when a queen leans on stunts and Silky depended on stunts for nearly all of those, and imo clearly lost a couple. most heavy-handed producer fuckery I’ve seen in a while.

If it’s not Eureka I may just dip entirely tbh.

Yeah, agreed wholeheartedly

"Weirdly prepared for every single lip sync with a reveal and/or relevant prop" is a pretty major :crossarms: too, especially when you should only expect to lip sync a couple times per season. I'm annoyed.

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.

Poulpe posted:

Yeah, agreed wholeheartedly

"Weirdly prepared for every single lip sync with a reveal and/or relevant prop" is a pretty major :crossarms: too, especially when you should only expect to lip sync a couple times per season. I'm annoyed.

hmmm. it's possible they were prepared to lip-sync for their legacy instead of their rudemption. other all-stars front runners did have gags and whatnot for if/when they won the maxi challenge. it was a smart move in any case because silky brought something different to each lip-sync. she was *rends garments and howls* MOTHER loving READY.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

!!!Silky!!! had this to say about last night's episode:

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I wonder if they were allowed time in the (or a) werkroom to work on costumes and props while waiting for the next lip sync.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

!!!Silky!!! had this to say about last night's episode:

Seriously. Were people not paying attention to the judging panel? Each faceoff was in front of the next episode's judging panel, which means that the queens had over a day to prep for the matchup.

I don't know if these songs were in the list that they're given prior to the start of filming, if it was then people had the ability to bring specific outfits/props. If not, and Silky built that Barbie Girl outfit in a day, props to her.

The only "immediate" lipsync would have been Silky v Eureka.

There's going to be a lot of spoiler text for a day, isn't there. :) Good.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

I'm a little surprised people liked this. The production edit is heavier than it's been for anything else recently. Some wins were earned, for sure. But the fact that they needed to show the reaction shots to justify it multiple times says everything it needs to. You knew who was going to win each time based on those canned reactions. Awful.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Pandorah Boxx's finest moment all season, she looked absolutely stun

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Bushido Brown posted:

I'm a little surprised people liked this. The production edit is heavier than it's been for anything else recently. Some wins were earned, for sure. But the fact that they needed to show the reaction shots to justify it multiple times says everything it needs to. You knew who was going to win each time based on those canned reactions. Awful.

those "reaction shots" are more importantly about showing the queens having fun and great chemistry together op

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Wow, well that was something! I have to say it's a little suspicious how prepared ~~Silky~~ was, but if the queens were given an episode's worth of days to prepare I can see it being possible. Either way, I was entertained and at the very least the Rudemption of No Scrubs was well earned.

Still, I really hoped and believed Jiggly could've fought her way to the top, having the best actual lip sync record on her season

Pinwiz11 posted:

I don't know if these songs were in the list that they're given prior to the start of filming, if it was then people had the ability to bring specific outfits/props. If not, and Silky built that Barbie Girl outfit in a day, props to her.

:v:

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Rofl at Charli XCX watching 3 lip syncs that day and her own song being the worst

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That was entertaining but man…

Silky generally coasting on gimmicks got annoying fast. The drinks were good. The Barbie girl was legendary but the rest? Nah.

Pandora almost had it.
Jan too.
Eureka SHOULD win.

But Silky is Ru’s favourite. She’ll push her as hard as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

blizzardvizard posted:

those "reaction shots" are more importantly about showing the queens having fun and great chemistry together op

Lol
I believe they're referring to cutting to the judging panel with BIG SMILEY FACES :D :D :D WOW ~~~Silky~~~ isn't having the floor wiped with her at all look Ru is laughing! Haha! :)!
They did it constantly with the "queen reaction shots" too, like when the ONE splits happened and that was apparently enough to make the entire workroom jump to their feet. Absolutely no way.