Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

The system collapsed it's all inertia now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

stone soup posted:

struggling to find the picture from last year of one school's auditorium which was showing off their covid shame cube setup

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress THIS poo poo

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

zegermans posted:

One of the things I always thought as a kid was that teachers are relatively smart.

Turns out like 90% of grade school teachers are morons who just like to play with kids all day

:goonsay:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Nocturtle posted:

122.1 of 148.4 beds used

???

Doctor
Jul 22, 2005

GO TO YOUR ROOM!
at the rate at which we're going I wouldn't be at all surprised if the next COVID variant just turned out to be The Thing

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lol like clockwork i received a work email just now, another positive popped in the office
lmao you god drat morons with your 'safely 6 feet away without masks'
cackling from my car

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

haha

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Doctor posted:

at the rate at which we're going I wouldn't be at all surprised if the next COVID variant just turned out to be The Thing

that was an R0 of 1 though, not so bad

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

7 Day Avg. of Bed Occupancy

Oh, didn't realize the total number of available beds would fluctuate over time.

Prefer to believe this is the case.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

https://people.com/human-interest/texas-couple-who-declined-covid-vaccine-die-leaving-behind-four-children/

Although the article doesn’t say it, people on social media identified them as having been in the news previously. They’d already been infected by covid before and thought that they therefore didn’t need the vaccine
lol

Nocturtle posted:

This thread has been talking a lot about child mortality due to COVID, understandably, but the risk of long-term impacts from a non-fatal infection is also significant. In fact people often dismiss concerns about COVID in children by pointing to the low mortality rate and ignoring the much higher rate of long-term disease. The estimated rates are all over the place but very roughly about 5% of children in the 2-11 year old range experience symptoms persisting out at least to ~3 months. The fall wave will likely have the large majority of children infected without any vaccine protection, and without hyperbole millions of children will likely contract these long-term symptoms.

Long-COVID is still not understood! Even in children it's often not just a months long cold and in some cases can be very significant, as the NY times article about pediatric long COVID linked from the thread spreadsheet describes well. It seems plausible that it could be due to some dysregulation of the immune system. If so, these effects could potentially be permanent or recurrent. No-one knows!

Here's a short Nature summary of the current understanding of pediatric long-COVID that I don't think is in the thread spreadsheet. Some ghoul in the D&D thread actually linked this in an attempt to downplay the significance and rate of pediatric long-COVID, and it was like did you even read the article?

Somewhere between only 1-10% of children, totally fine.
lmao

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

WTF BEES posted:

Aaaannnnd my boss just came into work, maskless, complaining of a fever and vomiting last night. She is unvaxxed.

Lol

Lmao
lmao :rip: go get tested

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Red but less than 100%, not good, not terrible

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I do not like this bed at all.
a lot of things have come to call.
A cow, a dog, a cat, a mouse.
Oh! What a bed! Oh! What a house!

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Nocturtle posted:

Oh, didn't realize the total number of available beds would fluctuate over time.

"Staffed inpatient beds"

The beds aren't the variable :)

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

ya dude hold off on the bike riding, you got a rowing machine?

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

inferis posted:

went to a bar last week with my friend who was in town and sat outside with them not drinking or eating and never taking my respirator off like an absolute psycho
a psycho that lived to post another day

Apr 7, 2003

Koirhor posted:

ya dude hold off on the bike riding, you got a rowing machine?

I do not

1/4th of all ED visits at the pediatric hospital are for covid. jesus loving christ

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Holy poo poo lmao

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

2 hours and 45 minutes to turn over a bed? shameful

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lmao

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

anyone stopped doing certain activities in order to reduce the chance of injury that may land you in the hallway of your local er again?

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

fosborb posted:

0.1 of a bed is available not bad

Apr 7, 2003

fosborb posted:

fwiw Passavant is up in the super chuddy northern white flight suburbs

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

Those stats are a week old now too. I'm sure everything is better now.

e: I did see an article that Pittsburgh hospitals have been taking a lot of out of state transfers, so that's at least some of that

e2: Not that it matters, once everything is full everywhere

yellowD fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 19, 2021

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Google Butt posted:

anyone stopped doing certain activities in order to reduce the chance of injury that may land you in the hallway of your local er again?
yes
i went to do a run along a trail i've never ran before
prior to the run i took a lunch break walk along it
decided it was too risky to fall/sprain/etc. so i opted out and went and ran at the usual high school track i use

edit also driving way more defensively than usual

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Google Butt posted:

I quit mountain biking :( That is the most dangerous activity I do. I was road biking ~2.5 miles to a greenway but I think I'll start driving over there.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have a house in cranberry township PA

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Google Butt posted:

yeah I stopped grinding garbage rails

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvB_qGhyg_k

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Koirhor posted:

that’s 33 pediatric icu beds left for the entirety of cental ohio

OSU football starts soon too

Go Bucks!

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

I think the dumb letters people are dunking on are an extension of the admin threatening to envoke title ix.

Basically the Biden camp is saying that making my kid with asthma go to school where masks are banned is a violation of his 504 plan. I think it depends on what a lawsuit would call "reasonable accommodations"

If the state lost their case though they'd lose federal funding for schools and financial assistance programs

Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

I have a house in cranberry township PA

Boomers fuckin love Cranberry Township because it's built around a strip mall and a Walmart

all their favorite brands are there

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

mod sassinator posted:

OSU football starts soon too

Go Bucks!

looking forward to jumping in mirror lake pond thing

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Boomers fuckin love Cranberry Township because it's built around a strip mall and a Walmart

Its the best. Just drive to what you want.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Koirhor posted:

looking forward to jumping in mirror lake pond thing

this will be perfectly fine because of all the preexisting mutagens in ohio water

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The worst person I ever worked for lived there and owned a restaurant in Washington.

he was a horrible person and I hope he's dead but he's probably not.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

Try to guess the outcome before looking at the spoiler!

quote:

In June, when U.S. Vice President Kamala Harris visited Greenville to encourage more vaccination in the state, Stutts stood outside with a group of more than 100 people and protested amid scores of waving American flags and posters.

They were protesting against vaccine and mask requirements.

"People should be free to get the vaccines they want. Free not to get it. But what's happening now is that there's a discrimination starting to take place,” he told The Greenville News.

Greenville County Republican Party leader Pressley Stutts died Thursday morning after battling COVID-19 for nearly a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

rich white atlanta burb

https://twitter.com/JustinGrayWSB/status/1428416211428290564?s=20