Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

Some savage 12 minute reviews out there. Shame.

I saw the IGN guy say he gave it an 8 which seems good.Good enough for me to try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Real hurthling! posted:

Some savage 12 minute reviews out there. Shame.

:confused:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Are there any gimmicky YouTube reviews that are 12 minutes long and then repeat?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Pc gamer gave it a 53/100

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Real hurthling! posted:

Better than a 52, not quiiiiiiite as good as a 54.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Boy, this Quake game sure is old.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

This kicks rear end. I'm gonna time travel back to 2000 this weekend. Stay up past bedtime, put on some Less Than Jake, erase all recollection of the post-9/11 political environment with bong hits, really set the mood.

Real hurthling! posted:

+20 modifier from game pass, attack succeeds, I'll check it out

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Quake ftw. Gonna get some 8 man lobbies going tonight.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I tried Quake but now I'm playing Spiritfarer instead. It's pretty cool!

vv Exactly what I was looking for, it's very relaxing. Liking it a lot so far.

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 19, 2021

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I really liked Spiritfarer but it's definitely my "play for an hour before bed and almost fall asleep" game. Not a bad thing, just incredibly chill and relaxing.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I love quake and played a ton back in the day. I don’t really need to play it on XS in 2021 though.
Oh well *fires up quake 2 rtx*

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I played so much loving quake. I played quake until q3 arena came out lol. Gonna go download that poo poo but I’m not sure how it’s gonna work with a controller.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Happy Hedonist posted:

I played so much loving quake. I played quake until q3 arena came out lol. Gonna go download that poo poo but I’m not sure how it’s gonna work with a controller.

Do not play Q3A with a controller

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

Yea I tried Quake 1 on my series x, and it looks good, but I can’t do it. Luckily I have a decent PC, so nbd. I’ll play through the campaign on my couch, but not MP.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

TheScott2K posted:

You can't stop me, fool!

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

This is nuts. Quake is literally my goat and I had absolutely no idea this was coming out. I’m so geeked.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've been playing 12 Minutes for a couple hours. I'm thinking there must be a way to get the cop to electrocute himself on the lightswitch without knocking out your wife with the sleeping pills, but it doesn't look like he'll ever turn the light on if you hide in the bedroom while he's searching for you. Am I on the right track, or can that simply not be done?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I've been playing 12 Minutes for a couple hours. I'm thinking there must be a way to get the cop to electrocute himself on the lightswitch without knocking out your wife with the sleeping pills, but it doesn't look like he'll ever turn the light on if you hide in the bedroom while he's searching for you. Am I on the right track, or can that simply not be done?

I never figured out a way without drugging my wife. For a general gameplay tip as well as my opinion about the game without spoilers: I don't think the game works very well in the context of playing a character who has motivations beyond "Solve this adventure game puzzle."

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 19, 2021

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

lamo

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1428456888354709511

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Finally, heavily modded Skyrim in a retail package.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I hope they paid those modders, and I also hope 400 of the mods are for weird sex things

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
open up the modding for Myst while we're at it. I want atrus to be naked and sexy

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

lmao 12 minutes is so silly

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
What type of game is 12 minutes and is it good

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Point and click adventure game meets groundhog day where you have to keep using your newly gained Intel to progress further in the scenario.

It seems well made and interesting but if you're not heavily into the narrative/mystery of it then I can see the repetition getting a little tiresome.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

American McGay posted:

Point and click adventure game meets groundhog day where you have to keep using your newly gained Intel to progress further in the scenario.

Hmmm. I think I'll pass on this. I there any word of Q3 making it to console eventually?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I highly doubt Q3 is going to make it to console because the Q3 that is on PC Gamepass is just straight up the old Q3. Also, holy crap was it always this fast? I'm so old now.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Where are people seeing the Quake collection on PC Gamepass? It's not showing up for me.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Where are people seeing the Quake collection on PC Gamepass? It's not showing up for me.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

use the MS Store app instead

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Roman posted:

use the MS Store app instead

That did it!

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

American McGay posted:

I really liked Spiritfarer but it's definitely my "play for an hour before bed and almost fall asleep" game. Not a bad thing, just incredibly chill and relaxing.

It’s a really good game, but it shows it’s hand very early and never really has any narrative progression. It also requires a little grinding, which is so against the game’s tone that it comes close to ruining the whole thing.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I highly doubt Q3 is going to make it to console because the Q3 that is on PC Gamepass is just straight up the old Q3. Also, holy crap was it always this fast? I'm so old now.

Oh no, it was super fast. I remember choosing UT over Q3A because I couldn't handle/didn't like the speed. I hated Tribes.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I didn't even know Tribes existed until everyone had already turned on it. I was all about Q3A even as I got crushed at every LAN.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tribes 2 for liiiiiife <is instantly headshot by someone with a better pc and thus superior draw distance>

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Quake 2’s license on Xbox might be tangled up with Activision. They made a 360 port of it and offered it exclusively with Quake 4 as a bonus, no digital release.

That was in 2005, and when Bethesda re-released Quake 4 much later this port was absent.

This Q2 port had achievements but someone had the bright idea of making them all give 0 points. It also didn’t come with any expansions and lacked online multiplayer. Seriously one of the most bizarre 360 releases.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

There were a lot of baffling decisions around Quake 4.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

njsykora posted:

There were a lot of baffling decisions around Quake 4.

Ok, what if you had to play 1/3rd of the game for the controls to improve?

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I played 12 Minutes through to one ending, and I would say it's a very interesting premise that flubs the execution.

There are a few genuinely good "a-ha!" moments where you figure out how to make things happen or learn new information, but in the latter half or so of the game, I was getting fed up by the extreme repetition just to try a single new variable to see if it gets you any further. There is a lot of "setup" that happens on every loop in order to push the scenario in a certain direction, and while the game does do *some* things to smartly put in shortcuts, I still ended up having to do way too much tedious rube-goldberg-machine setup, and button mashing to fast forward through dialogue. The game also kind of gets infuriating in how specific the "golden path" you need to walk is and how it almost plays calvinball in ways that feel cheap or poorly considered.

Perhaps most disappointing though is that the actual narrative ends up being soap-opera mundane, while also having a weird twist that is less good-weird and more "why did you write a story about THIS" weird.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Scoss posted:

I played 12 Minutes through to one ending, and I would say it's a very interesting premise that flubs the execution.

There are a few genuinely good "a-ha!" moments where you figure out how to make things happen or learn new information, but in the latter half or so of the game, I was getting fed up by the extreme repetition just to try a single new variable to see if it gets you any further. There is a lot of "setup" that happens on every loop in order to push the scenario in a certain direction, and while the game does do *some* things to smartly put in shortcuts, I still ended up having to do way too much tedious rube-goldberg-machine setup, and button mashing to fast forward through dialogue. The game also kind of gets infuriating in how specific the "golden path" you need to walk is and how it almost plays calvinball in ways that feel cheap or poorly considered.

Perhaps most disappointing though is that the actual narrative ends up being soap-opera mundane, while also having a weird twist that is less good-weird and more "why did you write a story about THIS" weird.

I feel like the game would have been helped out if it had shortcuts to certain set up scenarios