Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Do you get any performance differences between windowed, borderless-windowed and fullscreen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Are the fire control radars just for sprint missiles?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Capntastic posted:

Are the fire control radars just for sprint missiles?

I have that query too. Its expensive as poo poo and those aren't even good for anything except cruise missiles.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yes, FCR's are for the R-9's.

They can intercept cruise missiles, aircraft, and heat seekers.

The more you have the more simultaneous R-9's you can launch.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

FCRs also provide realtime enemy position data on the map unlike the early warning radar. Additionally it can provide guidance for cruise missiles, like the fast launching A-100s that have max 400km range anyways (same as the larger FCR module range).

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Friction posted:

FCRs also provide realtime enemy position data on the map unlike the early warning radar. Additionally it can provide guidance for cruise missiles, like the fast launching A-100s that have max 400km range anyways (same as the larger FCR module range).

Oh excellent, that is good to know! Thanks!

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Tarkhan pro-tip:

Today I discovered that you dont need to land a ship to repair it. Its great for rebuilding landing gear/crab legs before landing!

(it does take forever without repair bonuses, though)

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Also, I have finally beaten the game on normal. The second part was really hard!

The most dangerous enemy at the end-game were random enemy tradeships, which would instantly report my fleet position. This almost always resulted in said position getting nuked by ballistic missiles 20 in-game minutes later XD

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Captain Gordon posted:

Tarkhan pro-tip:

Today I discovered that you dont need to land a ship to repair it. Its great for rebuilding landing gear/crab legs before landing!

(it does take forever without repair bonuses, though)

Yeah this is the prologues fault because it actually makes you land the ships.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Capntastic posted:

Oh excellent, that is good to know! Thanks!

This is still an active radar. Although it's weaker than the big one, it will still show up on enemy ELINT (and therefore summon cruise missiles to your face) from further out than it can see the enemy.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Ceebees posted:

This is still an active radar. Although it's weaker than the big one, it will still show up on enemy ELINT (and therefore summon cruise missiles to your face) from further out than it can see the enemy.

Oh I know. Currently toying with a small armored "pillbox" I can drop in the desert near crossroads to act as an outpost and missile carrier. Being landed means you can armor the top and defang missiles and planes without losing too much, I imagine.

Are A100s much more accurate/deadly than the KHs?

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
Man, gently caress this game.

There are some serious QOL improvements before I play it again. I love some of this, but other parts are so obtuse and just lovely that it saps the fun.

I lost a 33% run last night that I was better than treading water, because I ran out of fuel? I had enough to make the next town, but somehow bled more fuel than the blue line said? And then a strike group came, and I just lost?

Then, I had no option to reload from my last dumb save, 3 hours ago? Just GG, go again?

Key gripes -

-fuel costs are lovely. They should be half or less.
- stupid saving system. You only get a save when you FIRST take a command city, but not any time you come back? Just give a persistent “last town” or manual save, you loving grogs. Or at least auto save every time you land at a save city, with indexable reloads
- Not being able to reload anti ship missiles and bombs except at rare merchants means either buying all in stock, and “repairing” or having dedicated bombers that can only reload at rare merchants; which is a waste. Just add them to the supplies side screen and be done; their cost already makes them strategic.
- repairs. There doesn’t seem to be a way to selectively repair some parts first; it’s all at the discretion of the slider, which always prioritizes expensive missiles and bombs first. Let me select parts to repair first
- cruise missiles/radar. I can’t for the life of me extend my radar range to a point where I can effectively target a strike group, but they can blindly fire poo poo endlessly.
- planes/missiles leaving no scrap. When time/scrap is a resource, you basically commit to expending dollars in missiles/plane armnaments, with no chance of recovering the cost.
- radio poo poo. The mini game doesn’t provide nearly enough useful info. Amber is headed NW and needs medical at 150? Cool! What is it? A supply? Strike group? And having to fart around with it each time, or auto-call for even worse data makes me just want to ignore it
- and on that note, I know Alexander wants to talk to me. Stop loving sending me a message every 6 hours
- ground versus air tracks? I have never seen a ground track that had mattered
-and then IR tracks? I guess it’s passive tracking, but even when there is a blip, there is never an IR signature on screen?
- I know it’s been said, but the bullet holes are really annoying, and patching those out immediately feels like a necessary mod. They could be done way less obtrusively
-also, aiming. I can get hit across the map from ships I can’t see, because aiming won’t let me scroll the screen enough. They need to extend the aiming arrow way beyond 1cm in front of your ship.
- all your allies, but not a one that can bring you a gas can, or quick refuel?
-ship builder 2 layer system is not well designed. And why can I take a stick lightning, modify it, then not be able to take those mods and apply them against another stock lightning? - Also, lack of permanent unlocks on ship designs is dumb

Then there’s the general things that I feel like could be awesome upgrades:

- easy mode; no morale penalty for redos on fights and lands
- free sky pirate mode
- ground assets; someone said war rig; but yeah?
- maybe even sea assets? Sub groups? Destroyers?
- high G blackout is executed well, but can we add stuff to mitigate it?
- redos of tarkhan negotiations; even at a morale cost
- let salvaged hull be used for armor/hull part credits
-include missiles/bombs in ammo salvage

There’s a lot that’s good here; the combat feels awesome. The sound is great, and the art style is phenomenal. And despite all the dumb bullshit with the command screen tools like radios, the art and gameplay hit the right mark. But at the end of the day, it’s still a game, and if I’m not having fun, or fighting some of the annoying design decisions, it’s a pass.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Thats a pretty fair assesment tbh

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Dalaram posted:

There are some serious QOL improvements before I play it again. I love some of this, but other parts are so obtuse and just lovely that it saps the fun.

I lost a 33% run last night that I was better than treading water, because I ran out of fuel? I had enough to make the next town, but somehow bled more fuel than the blue line said? And then a strike group came, and I just lost?

Then, I had no option to reload from my last dumb save, 3 hours ago? Just GG, go again?

Key gripes -

- stupid saving system. You only get a save when you FIRST take a command city, but not any time you come back? Just give a persistent “last town” or manual save, you loving grogs. Or at least auto save every time you land at a save city, with indexable reloads
- Not being able to reload anti ship missiles and bombs except at rare merchants means either buying all in stock, and “repairing” or having dedicated bombers that can only reload at rare merchants; which is a waste. Just add them to the supplies side screen and be done; their cost already makes them strategic.
- repairs. There doesn’t seem to be a way to selectively repair some parts first; it’s all at the discretion of the slider, which always prioritizes expensive missiles and bombs first. Let me select parts to repair first
- cruise missiles/radar. I can’t for the life of me extend my radar range to a point where I can effectively target a strike group, but they can blindly fire poo poo endlessly.
- planes/missiles leaving no scrap. When time/scrap is a resource, you basically commit to expending dollars in missiles/plane armnaments, with no chance of recovering the cost.
- radio poo poo. The mini game doesn’t provide nearly enough useful info. Amber is headed NW and needs medical at 150? Cool! What is it? A supply? Strike group? And having to fart around with it each time, or auto-call for even worse data makes me just want to ignore it
- and on that note, I know Alexander wants to talk to me. Stop loving sending me a message every 6 hours
-and then IR tracks? I guess it’s passive tracking, but even when there is a blip, there is never an IR signature on screen?
- I know it’s been said, but the bullet holes are really annoying, and patching those out immediately feels like a necessary mod. They could be done way less obtrusively
-also, aiming. I can get hit across the map from ships I can’t see, because aiming won’t let me scroll the screen enough. They need to extend the aiming arrow way beyond 1cm in front of your ship.
-ship builder 2 layer system is not well designed. And why can I take a stick lightning, modify it, then not be able to take those mods and apply them against another stock lightning? - Also, lack of permanent unlocks on ship designs is dumb

- free sky pirate mode

There’s a lot that’s good here; the combat feels awesome. The sound is great, and the art style is phenomenal. And despite all the dumb bullshit with the command screen tools like radios, the art and gameplay hit the right mark. But at the end of the day, it’s still a game, and if I’m not having fun, or fighting some of the annoying design decisions, it’s a pass.

Sounds like the game isn't for you, or whatever easy mode will end up being. A lot of your complaints are pretty deliberate design choices that quite a few people like based on steam reviews.

You have a few valid points that I'm sure will be addressed (ship building improvements) that are likely not in game currently due to time and the developers staying they're solely focusing on bugs for now (which they've been addressing very quickly), but a lot of it is just complaining about the difficulty. Fuel is supposed to be managed, strike groups are supposed to be avoided, you're supposed to have to make a choice between cities to land at etc.

If your ELINT is going off turn off your radar or expect incursions. You can selectively repair components by just right clicking them before setting the repair slider.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 19, 2021

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Roumba posted:

Do you get any performance differences between windowed, borderless-windowed and fullscreen?

It seems like windowed is the best performance, but still not great.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Mr. Crow posted:

Sounds like the game isn't for you, or whatever easy mode will end up being. A lot of your complaints are pretty deliberate design choices that quite a few people like based on steam reviews.

Yeah. It’s a shame - this game is 100% my jam; maybe I just haven’t “gotten” some of the complex gameplay decisions. I’ll check it back out in a few months, and see if it drifts towards a more filthy casual like me, or stays groggy and obtuse.

(I even took the time to read all the manual, too!)

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
It definitely doesn't explain itself well, manual or otherwise, check out this guy's videos for explanations of some of the features of you want to give it another go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4O3etdR2Mo

I am particularly grognardy (with certain games) and part of me liked discovering how certain game features worked but I totally get and think the game needs be better on this front. A lot of the essential skills are completely uncovered by the various tutorials, especially as it relates to missiles, planes and radar. Knowing how to properly use those 3 together are like night and day as far as staying alive and running.

Also never use nukes, they will gently caress you up in return. It's easy to shoot down non nuclear missiles but even when you shoot down a nuke it completely dicks your fleet up, trying to shoot down 3 in a row is a nightmare.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 19, 2021

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
There's also some little things you missed that could improve your experience. You can pick which parts to repair by right clicking on them in the repair dock. Cruise missiles don't need a friendly radar lock to operate, you can blind-fire them right back at your enemies if you know their bearing. You can extend the length of the aim arrow in the settings.

Fuel costs destroyed my first few runs, until I got used to moving efficiently. Gas guzzlers like Sevastopol should move in straight lines between fuel depots and hidden cities on route to Khiva, while your small efficient ships jump from town to town destroying garrisons and hunting trade ships. If you try to bring Sevastopol to every city, you're gonna have a bad time.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Its easy to edit fuel price too. Think the file is Seria.ol or something. Just open with a text editor, search for Fuel, and it should be pretty clear

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Also re: cruise missiles and them hitting you or you firing blindly:

They aren’t cheating, but unfortunately neither are you.

If you get spotted somewhere, a strike group will often launch missiles (or planes, if carriers are nearby) at where they spotted you. Get spotted near a city? They’re going to cruise missile that city. If I get spotted at a city, I’ll quickly gently caress off to the last city I was at and only return after a bit, then I never see missiles. They could also be using ELINT if your radars are on

You can cheat them too. Intelligence is the easiest, it’ll tell you where strike groups are and where they’re going - but you can also use some creative ELINT triangulation or even scout aircraft to spot a group, then launch missiles at them. From their perspective, it might seem like they were hit “blindly.”

That weird game of missiles and spotting/hiding is subtle and weird but understanding how to exploit that becomes extremely critical.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yeah the way ELINT/Radar/Thermal/Radio Intel all plays together is the source of 75% of the grog here and casual people having trouble with it is not really surprising. Its not bad game design, its just not something there is a tutorial for.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

It did take me multiple observations of me being struck by the enemy and multiple failures/misses of strikes before I got a feel for how to find and track enemies. It’s not easy and it can be frustrating until the mix of it all clicks.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

The game will click for a lot of people once they realize it is a Battleship inspired roguelike

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Dalaram posted:

Key gripes -

- free sky pirate mode

The game mechanics that make you win or lose are basically about inferring stuff from ELINT and economizing fuel. Fuel economy and rationing is the foundation of what you gotta make decisions based on and forces the player to split up their fleet into a heavy fuel consumption part that you move slowly towards Khiva and a lighter raiding parties that zip around the map to make cash off salvage and secure cities

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

a lot of this is fair but there are a few things to point out:

fuel costs are only lovely because you're dragging too much poo poo around, park your main fleet and use a more efficient strike group

there is a way to repair selectively. Right click on damaged parts to repair them individually.

Strike groups are firing Radar-seeking missiles at you. You are firing Radar-using missiles at them. If you get the missile variants with the radar icon, you can do the same thing back at them. And if you turn your radar off, they'll have a much harder time firing missiles at you.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
You can also now change the aiming stick to be long by default from the options menu, which made a world of difference in my ability to solo god and all his angels with a Lightning.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
Also, it's not entirely obvious from the UI, but if you win a fight and salvage the enemy fuel tanks, it'll stay available on the map as a refueling spot until you've completely taken whatever fuel was left in their tanks. It takes just as long as refueling in a city, so you'll need to sit there a while to take the fuel, but if you leave without taking it all, the fuel will remain available on the map and you can send ships back to those spots later to take the rest of it.

Between that and being able to sell salvage, it can really pay off having a tough ship that wins fights even if the fuel economy is a bit crap.

Especially if it can take a strike group in close combat - since strike groups broadcast their position via ELINT, it's entirely possible to bait them in and ambush them without ever having to deal with their cruise missiles, and they tend to give pretty valuable salvage since they're big well-armed ships with plenty of missiles and expensive electronics.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

cock hero flux posted:

a lot of this is fair but there are a few things to point out:

fuel costs are only lovely because you're dragging too much poo poo around, park your main fleet and use a more efficient strike group

there is a way to repair selectively. Right click on damaged parts to repair them individually.

Strike groups are firing Radar-seeking missiles at you. You are firing Radar-using missiles at them. If you get the missile variants with the radar icon, you can do the same thing back at them. And if you turn your radar off, they'll have a much harder time firing missiles at you.

re missiles: you can also land to reduce your radar profile but if they're in visual range they're gonna get you anyway

Vizuyos posted:

Also, it's not entirely obvious from the UI, but if you win a fight and salvage the enemy fuel tanks, it'll stay available on the map as a refueling spot until you've completely taken whatever fuel was left in their tanks. It takes just as long as refueling in a city, so you'll need to sit there a while to take the fuel, but if you leave without taking it all, the fuel will remain available on the map and you can send ships back to those spots later to take the rest of it.

Does this happen if you airstrike the SG to defeat? I feel like I don't see spots from it but jets don't really give the player visual confirmation of anything so maybe I'm just missing the spots. It's enough of an issue that I try to finish off a SG with an actual ship once I've weakened it with jets but jets seem to be the ultimate SG killer.

Marzzle fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 19, 2021

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Killing a fleet with planes or cruise missiles does not produce a crash site or any salvage opportunity.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Jamsque posted:

Killing a fleet with planes or cruise missiles does not produce a crash site or any salvage opportunity.

I'd love to be able to salvage within a day or so- it would add some nice choices for leaving a pile of loot to pick up making a logistics chain of "getting salvage back to cities or to the main fleet".

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Jamsque posted:

But the reward of a strike force never seeing you being crashed into the desert from your missiles is enough.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Anime Store Adventure posted:

But the reward of a strike force never seeing you being crashed into the desert from your missiles is enough.

Agreed, I never want to take on a strikeforce in anything close to a fair fight. There are plenty of other ways to make money.

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Jamsque posted:

Or just soften them up enough that you can send in a lightning or two to finish them off easily. Then you still get the tasty salvage and weapons. And the radar too that sells for 4k

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Biggest thing is looting properly, you get a 4k gun off a wreck thats on hard mode 2000 tons of fuel, or enough for the sevastopol to make it another 1000 km.

Crew Quarters are the only higher priority because they are your source of gifts to give to tarkhans, sweet sweet gifts.

Sell crap you won't use, rebuild the sevastopol so its faster/not junk/more fuel efficient.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Jamsque posted:

yeah, if you wipe out the whole thing. But wiping out an entire strike group with planes and missiles means that you didn't actually have to fight it. And if you instead just beat it up and then go finish it off, you get easy salvage.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Marzzle posted:

re missiles: you can also land to reduce your radar profile but if they're in visual range they're gonna get you anyway

Does this happen if you airstrike the SG to defeat? I feel like I don't see spots from it but jets don't really give the player visual confirmation of anything so maybe I'm just missing the spots. It's enough of an issue that I try to finish off a SG with an actual ship once I've weakened it with jets but jets seem to be the ultimate SG killer.

I dunno; I've never used carriers and hardly use missiles. I've got a custom ship with 2.5 layers of armor and a bunch of vulcans and mid-caliber artillery, and that's really all it takes to wipe an entire strike group without taking serious damage.

To avoid cruise missiles, I just lure the strike group in and ambush them. I let a bait ship get sighted and reported while multiple Skylark scouts and a SG-killer fleet lurk in the desert ahead of it. When a SG is detected, the bait ship moves off to the side before it enters cruise missile range, while my other fleets work to narrow down the SG's approximate bearing and position using ELINT from different directions. It takes a bit of fumbling around, but I've been able to catch SGs between cities with purely passive scanning and not get a single missile sent my way.

Now, the real trouble is if two SGs turn up at the same time and the second one comes in before I can get everything in good condition for a second ambush.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Took me way too long to figure out that this is possible in the shipyard. Hello space savings.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

So I got this game after seeing it in the thread, any newbie tips besides "read the manual, idiot?"

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Turn off your radar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

So I got this game after seeing it in the thread, any newbie tips besides "read the manual, idiot?"

turn off your radar, leave the sevastopol parked somewhere out of the way unless you need it to bust strike groups