Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it is kinda cool conceptually that after the time skip in Rebuild the technology has evolved into this insane eldritch magitech cobbled together from Eva and Angel parts as well as whatever leftover old-world machinery people had lying around but yeah I definitely prefer the physicality of the fights in the original series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Anno wanted to try new tech and thats why you get virtual cameras and such but yeah, the fights feel very inconsequential but that's appropriate given how things wrap up

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

GoLambo posted:

You need to seek help

Counterpoint: Babadi's minions trying to clown on the protagonists by revealing that they come from a place with 10x the gravity, not realizing everyone was doing casual reps at like 500x is great

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I watched Fusion Reborn recently. Goten and Trunks clown on Hitler. It's pretty great.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

HootTheOwl posted:

Robot fights should be slow messy slogs. More people pulling off their arms to bash opposing robots. More opening your cockpit because your cameras are broken.

The first major fight in GaoGaiGar Final involves Guy getting his rear end kicked and then controlling the ruined remains of his machine by directly interfacing with the exposed cables and wires to try to fight back. The show is super robot as hell but it owned

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Anyone else been keeping up with Sonny Boy? I think it's going to be one of those shows you have to finish before you fully get it, I'm down with that.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I started it and im interested in seeing where it goes.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

grate deceiver posted:

Which is why Big-O is the best robot amine

gently caress yeah

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Sunrise, make more loving Big O you cowards

Unrelated but I started watching the original Gundam series, as the last time I watched it was during it's Toonami/Adult Swim runs and drat I'm enjoying this a lot more than I thought I would, low budget animation be damned

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Good soup! posted:

Sunrise, make more loving Big O you cowards

Unrelated but I started watching the original Gundam series, as the last time I watched it was during it's Toonami/Adult Swim runs and drat I'm enjoying this a lot more than I thought I would, low budget animation be damned

It is the most pure strain Gundam

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 27 days!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgTYqCoL7i4

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

KitConstantine posted:

There's some sort of tesla presentation tonight I don't care just watch this

https://twitter.com/TESLAcharts/status/1428540624203128837?s=19

Sirotan posted:

This wasn't a joke?????

https://twitter.com/CNET/status/1428543713052135425

I’ve never been more confident that a thing will not happen.

Elon is all about those headless Evas.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

net work error posted:

Anyone else been keeping up with Sonny Boy? I think it's going to be one of those shows you have to finish before you fully get it, I'm down with that.

Wow, this is pretty cool. Basically what I expected out of Otherside Picnic, but actually good

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

christmas boots posted:

Counterpoint: Babadi's minions trying to clown on the protagonists by revealing that they come from a place with 10x the gravity, not realizing everyone was doing casual reps at like 500x is great

The first half of the Buu Saga with the tournament stuff is mostly great but christ it drags. Makes the Freeza saga look like it's positively brisk by the time you're halfway.

net work error posted:

It's next on my list, it looks promising. The stark negative space is a very cool look.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

this talk of old anime reminded me of shows I only saw on toonami/ adult swim/ G4’s anime block that I watched at the time but didn’t really get

Are sword of the stars, betterman, and blue gender worth revisiting after like 15 to 20 years?

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
no, no, and no. lol

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

crest of stars gets extra demerits for being a galaxy spanning space saga that spends most of its runtime on a single backwater prison planet

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
betterman is so weird, it's a gaogaigar spinoff of all things

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
i remember seeing blue gender on adult swim one night specifically because it was named "blue gender". I guess the gender of the giant bugs is the blue gender

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

i remember seeing blue gender on adult swim one night specifically because it was named "blue gender". I guess the gender of the giant bugs is the blue gender

Actually the gender is bug

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

Bro Dad posted:

crest of stars gets extra demerits for being a galaxy spanning space saga that spends most of its runtime on a single backwater prison planet

I was watching this on a friends recommendation a while back and the casual war crime fascists being portrayed as cool and rational faction made me ragequit the show. I can't remember the last time I got quiet so upset watching something.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

lmao well those were the 3 that stood out in my memory

they were picking real winners to show us back then, huh

e:

https://twitter.com/revoksul/status/1428751614865592320?s=21

wolfs has issued a correction as of 01:24 on Aug 21, 2021

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
The first handful of Blue Gender episodes are decent enough. They have some good, tense, almost scary moments. Not worth actually going back to, though.

Also Witch Hunter Robin is skippable, in case anyone was wondering. It’s like a nowhere-near-as-good GitS: SAC.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Crest of the stars has the distinction of having one of the worst dubbing jobs I've ever heard, to the point that I'm astounded that a group of people actually approved it's airing on TV

There are people out there that hate dubbing no matter what but they weren't even loving trying with that show

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

0083 also ranges from mediocre to bad, just a handful of actors that know what they're doing and then guys like whoever the gently caress is doing the legit terrible job as the lead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMbVN3BaB58

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Good soup! posted:

0083 also ranges from mediocre to bad, just a handful of actors that know what they're doing and then guys like whoever the gently caress is doing the legit terrible job as the lead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMbVN3BaB58

Could have replaced this character with a parrot.

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
the japanese cast has akio otsuka why are you bothering with a dub!!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

drat i did not know that, that's cool

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

wolfs posted:

this talk of old anime reminded me of shows I only saw on toonami/ adult swim/ G4’s anime block that I watched at the time but didn’t really get

Are sword of the stars, betterman, and blue gender worth revisiting after like 15 to 20 years?
blue gender and its sequel are fine.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

there’s a sequel? violet gender?

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

blue genderfuck

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i forgot, it's a summary film

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Pulcinella posted:

The first handful of Blue Gender episodes are decent enough. They have some good, tense, almost scary moments. Not worth actually going back to, though.

Also Witch Hunter Robin is skippable, in case anyone was wondering. It’s like a nowhere-near-as-good GitS: SAC.

wtf. yeah, sure, whr is not as good as gits:sac this is true, but it's still pretty good and has a kickass soundtrack. of the two you listed whr is definitely the better one lol

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL
catchin up on higurashi sotsu

am i the only one who feels bad for beta teppei?

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

wolf's rain is better than witch hunter robin because the show actually gets less boring over time

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You really do forget how many stinkers got aired on adult swim/toonami. Pilot's Candidate is the only one I can remember because it was by far the worst. I think at the time I didn't like Blue Gender because it was too nihilistic/fatalistic, but at least the bugs and mechs were cool. Dunno what I'd think of it now but I doubt it's worth revisiting.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Pilot candidate owned, lol.
The poor author.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You really do forget how many stinkers got aired on adult swim/toonami. Pilot's Candidate is the only one I can remember because it was by far the worst. I think at the time I didn't like Blue Gender because it was too nihilistic/fatalistic, but at least the bugs and mechs were cool. Dunno what I'd think of it now but I doubt it's worth revisiting.

they tried to show every "dark" anime series of the early aughts

I assume the only reason they didn't air texhnolyze was because someone actually screened it and then had to call out for a few days

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yeah, texhnolyze rocks. If you want to feel bad that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Pilot Candidate was horrendous, it didn't help the dub job was poor as well, I just have memories of the lead character having a dream sequence, talking to his mother like some Dickensian poor boy, "I'm going to go outside, mother!" that kind of poo poo, with an actor that was obviously far too old for the role trying to do the voice of a kid

And during the battle scenes where to show them dodging inside the mechs, they would just zoom in to a still of their face and just spin the completely motionless cel 360 degrees around a CGI background, I mean holy poo poo, Berserk 97 (I'd imagine) had an even smaller budget and never did anything as embarrassing as that lmao

Still sad Fist of the North Star never had a finished dub, that would have been great Adult Swim material