Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

SpannerX posted:

Get an immersion blender: "Two-Minute Mayonnaise Recipe" https://www.seriouseats.com/two-minute-mayonnaise

This. Immersion blenders are helpful for a lot of things, but if you like mayonnaise, this technique couldn't be easier and the result is delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Immersion blenders are incredible for mayo and hollandaise.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

SpannerX posted:

Get an immersion blender: "Two-Minute Mayonnaise Recipe" https://www.seriouseats.com/two-minute-mayonnaise

Where they say don’t use olive oil for this, you should definitely take them at their word.

Comes out way to strong and almost inedible.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
You can mix olive oil in at like 1 part to 5 parts canola. But straight olive oil mayo is not what I expect mayo to taste like, that's for sure

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
cooking olive oil is fine in my experience

extra virgin is rough, though

mystes
May 31, 2006

I feel like it's generally best to view evoo as seasoning that you add a little of carefully, to taste, at the end of whatever you're doing, but it seems like everyone always wants to use it for everything.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

To be honest I use EVOO for everything, including pan-frying some chicken, and have never noticed anything off.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Vegetable posted:

To be honest I use EVOO for everything, including pan-frying some chicken, and have never noticed anything off.

Try light olive oil and compare. Night and day in how heavy and oily the food is.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Light/cooking olive oil is so good. Higher smoke point, more neutral taste, cheaper. I regret ever buying those big glass bottles of extra virgin and using it as a general purpose cooking thing.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

prom candy posted:

I noticed that a lot of youtube cooks use giant wooden cutting boards for their prep. I have a couple of decent size ones but I stopped using them because they don't really fit in the sink. How do people keep these things clean? I do most of my prep on plastic boards now, are the big wooden blocks just for show?

What kind of tiny sink do you have? It just has to fit under the tap not be immersed.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
It's probably worth pointing out that what gets labelled as "extra virgin olive oil" is, at least in the US, wildly variable. And in the majority of cases, it does not even meet International Olive Council or USDA standards for extra virgin olive oil. Or at least that was the case a few years ago when UC Davis' Olive Center did testing. Here's a link to their Publications and Reports page, although the link on it to the report in question is broken (lol). Here's a link to a mirror of the report on some site called the The Olive Times.

From the executive summary:

UC Davis' Olive Center posted:

Specific findings of our tests include (see Table 3 for summary of results):
  • 69 percent of imported olive oil samples and 10 percent of California olive oil samples labeled as extra virgin olive oil failed to meet the IOC/USDA sensory (organoleptic) standards for extra virgin olive oil. The Australian sensory panel found that each of these samples scored a median of up to 3.5 sensory defects such as rancid, fusty, and musty and were classified at the lower grade of “virgin.” Sensory defects are indicators that these samples are oxidized, of poor quality, and/or adulterated with cheaper refined oils.
  • 31 percent of the imported samples that failed the sensory standards also failed the IOC/USDA standards for UV absorbance of oxidation products (K232 and K268), which indicates that these samples were oxidized and/or were of poor quality.
  • 83 percent of the imported samples that failed the IOC/USDA sensory standards also failed the German/Australian DAGs standard. Two additional imported samples that met the IOC/USDA sensory standard for extra virgin failed the DAGs standard.
  • 52 percent of the imported samples that failed the IOC/USDA sensory standards also failed the German/Australian PPP standard. Two additional imported samples that had met the IOC/USDA sensory standard for extra virgin failed the PPP standard.
  • The IOC/USDA chemistry standards confirmed negative sensory results in 31 percent of cases, while the German/Australian DAGs and PPP standards confirmed negative sensory results in 86 percent of cases.
Real no poo poo extra virgin olive oils these days will probably have a harvest date listed on the bottle, and will probably also identify where the olives were grown (an estate name) and/or where they were pressed (a mill name). Many will offer specific data on the composition of the oil, like a stated percentage of free fatty acid. Bottles from Italy will have a DOP seal and or an EU PDO seal. California olive oils will probably have a COOC (California Olive Oil Council) seal.

A bottle with none of these indicators is going to be a crap shoot. So if you've got a random grocery store bottle of something labelled extra virgin olive oil and it doesn't taste like evoo or if you're cooking with it and it's not behaving like evoo, then it's probably worth trying a different brand.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lmao "rancid" is a "sensory defect"

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Le Creuset is having a sale. 4.5qt Dutch Oven is $208 and the wide round Dutch Oven is $183. From what I recall this thread was in agreement that a 4.5qt was a good size for the regular Dutch Oven.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
ATK recommends "California Olive Ranch Destination Series Everyday Extra Virgin Olive Oil," which is all domestic from CA. Just check the back of the bottle, because the brand also does imported blends

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

SubG posted:

It's probably worth pointing out that what gets labelled as "extra virgin olive oil" is, at least in the US, wildly variable. And in the majority of cases, it does not even meet International Olive Council or USDA standards for extra virgin olive oil. Or at least that was the case a few years ago when UC Davis' Olive Center did testing. Here's a link to their Publications and Reports page, although the link on it to the report in question is broken (lol). Here's a link to a mirror of the report on some site called the The Olive Times.

From the executive summary:

Real no poo poo extra virgin olive oils these days will probably have a harvest date listed on the bottle, and will probably also identify where the olives were grown (an estate name) and/or where they were pressed (a mill name). Many will offer specific data on the composition of the oil, like a stated percentage of free fatty acid. Bottles from Italy will have a DOP seal and or an EU PDO seal. California olive oils will probably have a COOC (California Olive Oil Council) seal.

A bottle with none of these indicators is going to be a crap shoot. So if you've got a random grocery store bottle of something labelled extra virgin olive oil and it doesn't taste like evoo or if you're cooking with it and it's not behaving like evoo, then it's probably worth trying a different brand.

Do any of these loving nerd rear end wall-o-text studies have, like, lists of what olive oil BRANDS I should buy/avoid?

Yeah the hard data is important and all but I’m trying to put together a loving GROCERY LIST here. At the end of the day I don’t give a gently caress about seeing the labor, just show me the loving baby.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

obi_ant posted:

Le Creuset is having a sale. 4.5qt Dutch Oven is $208 and the wide round Dutch Oven is $183. From what I recall this thread was in agreement that a 4.5qt was a good size for the regular Dutch Oven.

Most recipes are going to be for much larger sized pots, like 6 to 8, so just be aware that you may have to adjust.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Costco organic EVOO is the real deal.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

I. M. Gei posted:

Do any of these loving nerd rear end wall-o-text studies have, like, lists of what olive oil BRANDS I should buy/avoid?

Yeah the hard data is important and all but I’m trying to put together a loving GROCERY LIST here. At the end of the day I don’t give a gently caress about seeing the labor, just show me the loving baby.

after I read something like this a few years ago, I started buying only California Olive Ranch extra virgin, just because the paper trail seems harder to fake (but I'm in the US).

I understand that the cooking olive oil situation is similarly scandalous, in that a lot of the oil doesn't even come from olives, but Filippo Berio seems to be consistent and tasty, whether or not it's truly 100% olive oil.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

obi_ant posted:

I have 4, 6, and 8 qt round le creusets and the 6 qt is far and away the most useful, but if I had to pay for any of them i would have gotten lodge. Le creuset is nicer but it’s $20 nicer, not triple the price on sale nicer

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

I. M. Gei posted:

Well, there's one in that report I linked. Page 8:

According to this, the brands they tested that passed all the tests are Corto Olive, California Olive Ranch, McEvoy Ranch Organic, and Lucero (ascolano).

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Are Dutch Ovens as amazing as people say? I've never used one.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Internet Explorer posted:

Yes. They can't be beat for anything slow cooked between the stove and oven (chili, stew, pasta sauces, etc) and they're even great for bread if you're into that. I have had one of these for 5 or 6 years now and it gets used a couple times a week: Lodge Enameled Dutch Oven.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

They are very versatile. If you were forced to have only one pot/pan you could cook just about anything in it. Bake a casserole? Sauté veggies? Make a stew? Slow braised ribs? Roast a chicken? Bake bread? Make popcorn?

Heck, a cast iron lodge doesn’t even really need an oven, hence the name. Stick it on some hot coals and shovel some onto the lid the way they did back out on the range.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I use a cast iron lodge Dutch oven and I've never thought to try that. New coal bbq challenge unlocked.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
At the county fair where I live they have a cast iron cooking competition where it it literally people using Dutch ovens to cook on open fires . They have to do like a full meal. It’s pretty neat and the food is usually pretty good.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Murgos posted:

They are very versatile. If you were forced to have only one pot/pan you could cook just about anything in it. Bake a casserole? Sauté veggies? Make a stew? Slow braised ribs? Roast a chicken? Bake bread? Make popcorn?

Heck, a cast iron lodge doesn’t even really need an oven, hence the name. Stick it on some hot coals and shovel some onto the lid the way they did back out on the range.

I have an enameled dutch oven that is my "bring it with me" pot when going to airbnb's or cabins or anything else where I don't know what the kitchen is going to have. I can and have cooked every meal for an entire weekend in that one pot.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Random Hero posted:

Yes. They can't be beat for anything slow cooked between the stove and oven (chili, stew, pasta sauces, etc) and they're even great for bread if you're into that. I have had one of these for 5 or 6 years now and it gets used a couple times a week: Lodge Enameled Dutch Oven.
I've been looking at enameled dutch ovens, but this has some really negative reviews that are scaring me

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

mystes posted:

I've been looking at enameled dutch ovens, but this has some really negative reviews that are scaring me

Don’t get one from amazon, some of those negative reviews are for obviously counterfeit products. The bottom of real ones should be bare cast iron.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I use a cast iron lodge Dutch oven and I've never thought to try that. New coal bbq challenge unlocked.

Some of them have special lids that are flat and have a lip to hold the coals on and little legs to get to the coals underneath.

https://longbournfarm.com/dutch-oven-cooking/

Murgos fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 20, 2021

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Good news: full-size (7.25 qt) Le Creuset Dutch ovens for half price, $225

Bad news: they have dumb MLB logos

https://www.surlatable.com/search?prefn1=productType&prefv1=HardGood&q=MLB

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
No Mariners? Pass.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

No Mariners? Pass.

Same, but Expos.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

Good news: full-size (7.25 qt) Le Creuset Dutch ovens for half price, $225

Bad news: they have dumb MLB logos

https://www.surlatable.com/search?prefn1=productType&prefv1=HardGood&q=MLB
drat this is pretty tempting despite the dumb logos.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I've been using an Amazon basics Dutch oven (the largest one they make) and it's been fully acceptable. Biggest difference is that it's not rated for temps over 400 I think. I still use it for bread at 450 and haven't had any issues.

For someone new to the Dutch oven game and who is going enameled I'd say you can't go wrong for the price. Do not get a Dutch oven with a plastic handle on the lid though no matter what.

mystes
May 31, 2006

mystes posted:

drat this is pretty tempting despite the dumb logos.
No I can't actually bring myself to buy it

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

I've been using an Amazon basics Dutch oven (the largest one they make) and it's been fully acceptable. Biggest difference is that it's not rated for temps over 400 I think. I still use it for bread at 450 and haven't had any issues.

For someone new to the Dutch oven game and who is going enameled I'd say you can't go wrong for the price. Do not get a Dutch oven with a plastic handle on the lid though no matter what.

One could always buy a replacement metal knob for the lid for a couple bucks.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
the lodge combo cooker is my "if i could only have one thing in a kitchen" thing.

i've got the handleless one because my oven is smol

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

VelociBacon posted:

I believe I have the same Dutch oven and it works great. I haven’t had any issues, and I think I got mine for $40 on sale.

GordonComstock
Oct 9, 2012
Probably over thinking this, but I want a fish spatula, and the wusthoff recommended by America's Test Kitchen is out of stock. Anyone got one that they really like and recommend? I can always get a generic one if I need to, but I wanted to see if someone here really loves theirs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I have the Miu that was their runner up, and it's been good. I haven't used the Wusthof, so I can't compare, but I have no complaints.