Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You should tell Company B that you are in the process with other firms of course and you are expecting an offer with a relatively quick deadline. I think it's reasonable to tell the that you are very interested in the role and would prefer to work for Company B, but they will need to give you an offer in advance of Day X, and ask them if there's any way they can accelerate or expedite their process. If they tell you no, that tells you something, and then you can debate about how long you can put off A.

Why are you upset about hourly for the first three months? is there something to that structure that I'm not understanding from your posts? I'd consider hourly to be preferable to salary in most cases. I'd be much more concerned about base plus commission than the three month period.

Thanks for the advice. I will ask company B to see if we can expedite it.

The hourly phase is also no commission, and doesn't equal the salaried pay on a 40 hour week basis. Maybe I am over estimating my abilities, but I can't imagine that it would be that hard to reach an acceptable level of commission. Job requirements are 100 calls per week, which almost made me laugh out loud when I heard it, because to me that is nothing. I have worked campaigns, and even outside sales jobs where 100 calls per week would be performance plan inducing.

spf3million posted:

Also, you could always accept an offer from A then leave a month later if B comes through. It's not that uncommon.

That's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

This is a good way to deal with Linkedin recruiters right? This is kind of my number to be willing to move jobs.

Hey I have some pretty firm expectations:

$250K base plus bonus

35 vacation days

Mostly remote - max 25% time in an office

4 mile office radius from "Place in town"

401k provider with low ERs, min 5% match

40 hour work week

Minimal travel - less than 10%

Let me know if it is worth continuing the conversation.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Alright, question here. (Context: I have an upcoming interview for an office position in my area; hit it off with a missed connection/callback unexpectedly, going in tomorrow for a formal interview)

What places/sources are good/do you fine folks use to find and look up salary info? What are good places to start?

I'm the colorado goon; job's range is deffo under market value and also under my city's minimum living wage(its for gov/city employees; but its inflation/cpi adjusted and makes a good meterstick for what everyone should ask for)

Aka prime negotiation opportunity!

I'm just not sure what my baseline should be.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

TheParadigm posted:

Alright, question here. (Context: I have an upcoming interview for an office position in my area; hit it off with a missed connection/callback unexpectedly, going in tomorrow for a formal interview)

What places/sources are good/do you fine folks use to find and look up salary info? What are good places to start?

I'm the colorado goon; job's range is deffo under market value and also under my city's minimum living wage(its for gov/city employees; but its inflation/cpi adjusted and makes a good meterstick for what everyone should ask for)

Aka prime negotiation opportunity!

I'm just not sure what my baseline should be.

Is it Denver? https://www.denvergov.org/content/dam/denvergov/Portals/671/documents/Pay/PayRangesAndJobTitles.pdf

Other cities might have the same.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Hi. I don't know is the right thread to ask,but I am in a delicate situation and I don't know where else to look.

The trial period of three months at my first real job is about to end. The deal was that the (meager, probably illegally so) pay of 400 euros monthly that I was getting up until that point is going to be renegotiated. I accepted that first offer because I was basically entranced by the idea of "holy poo poo I am actually going to have a job and not be a useless parasite on my parents' side at the age of 28".

I don't actually have a back-up plan beyond this job, is the thing. I know I'm supposed to have one but I couldn't manage to find one. I have been looking for other opportunities but they are hard to come by, especially with a niche degree like mine (bachelor's in compared languages and letters, master's in interpreting and translation).

My current job is to look for foreign clients for a small wine company in Calabria. I am not very good at my job. I have only found three clients total over the course of three months, and since the company is rather small I have also done office work that I have struggled with greatly (I am not very good at remembering many bits of data).

Basically, my brain is telling me that if the boss were to say "it's been fun but we don't need you anymore", he would be right to do so, and I should be grateful for any crumb he throws at me. This is probably also due to my self esteem issues.

Do you have any advice beyond "don't actually accept any crumbs he trhwos at you"?

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 11, 2021

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.

Javes posted:

Feeling a little bait-and-switched right now. Got a verbal offer for a remote job for 63k with a 5k sign on bonus from the recruiter, however on the initial phone screen she had given me a range of 68-70k. When I asked her about that discrepancy, she said that range was for someone based in New Jersey (where their office is) and I am in Iowa. She knew I was in Iowa from the start so I don't know why I was given that higher range initially. I plan on asking for 70k when I receive the emailed offer. I make 57.5k now so I would be hesitant to make the jump for anything less than upper 60s.

Update: I spoke with the recruiter and the hiring manager. They upped the offer to 66k after I had asked for 75k. They would not budge on the number of vacation days (assumed so, but thought I would ask). I plan on declining the offer.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah they're lowballing you and I'd be fine telling them to gently caress off. Professionally. By which I mean "Sorry but it has to be $75,000 for this to work for me. If you change your mind let me know."

The initial bait-and-switch on their part would leave a really sour taste in my mouth and I wouldn't be inclined to budge an inch in this situation.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah they're lowballing you and I'd be fine telling them to gently caress off. Professionally. By which I mean "Sorry but it has to be $75,000 for this to work for me. If you change your mind let me know."

The initial bait-and-switch on their part would leave a really sour taste in my mouth and I wouldn't be inclined to budge an inch in this situation.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Wow, they upped the offer to 2k below the minimum range they initially told you. In this case you're welcome to leave the professional part out of telling them to gently caress off professionally.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

spwrozek posted:

This is a good way to deal with Linkedin recruiters right? This is kind of my number to be willing to move jobs.

Hey I have some pretty firm expectations:

$250K base plus bonus

35 vacation days

Mostly remote - max 25% time in an office

4 mile office radius from "Place in town"

401k provider with low ERs, min 5% match

40 hour work week

Minimal travel - less than 10%

Let me know if it is worth continuing the conversation.

I would clarify what 35 days of vacation means since if that is on top of holidays I'd be surprised if any company in the US meet this criteria.

In general stating this will cause you to lose out on opportunities where this is the top end of the range, but you'll save a bunch of time.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

asur posted:

I would clarify what 35 days of vacation means since if that is on top of holidays I'd be surprised if any company in the US meet this criteria.

In general stating this will cause you to lose out on opportunities where this is the top end of the range, but you'll save a bunch of time.

You are probably correct. I have 29 days now and get another day every year up to 37. I could probably back that down to 30 days. Basically I have zero incentive to move jobs though. I got 4-8% raises, 15-20% bonus for the last 10 years. 40 hours a week. some stress but really not that much. So my thought is really wow me otherwise probably a waste of everyone's time. plus anchor high. If I somehow lost my job (pretty much impossible) I would have a new job in less than a week.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

asur posted:

If they were to combine all the time off types at my company, 20 Vaca/15 Holidays another 11 days of various types of PTO.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

paradoxGentleman posted:

Hi. I don't know is the right thread to ask,but I am in a delicate situation and I don't know where else to look.

The trial period of three months at my first real job is about to end. The deal was that the (meager, probably illegally so) pay of 400 euros monthly that I was getting up until that point is going to be renegotiated. I accepted that first offer because I was basically entranced by the idea of "holy poo poo I am actually going to have a job and not be a useless parasite on my parents' side at the age of 28".

I don't actually have a back-up plan beyond this job, is the thing. I know I'm supposed to have one but I couldn't manage to find one. I have been looking for other opportunities but they are hard to come by, especially with a niche degree like mine (bachelor's in compared languages and letters, master's in interpreting and translation).

My current job is to look for foreign clients for a small wine company in Calabria. I am not very good at my job. I have only found three clients total over the course of three months, and since the company is rather small I have also done office work that I have struggled with greatly (I am not very good at remembering many bits of data).

Basically, my brain is telling me that if the boss were to say "it's been fun but we don't need you anymore", he would be right to do so, and I should be grateful for any crumb he throws at me. This is probably also due to my self esteem issues.

Do you have any advice beyond "don't actually accept any crumbs he trhwos at you"?

A core tenant of this thread is that if you have no other job lined up, you have no leverage. Because of this, you are going to be begging someone for money that may have no intention on giving it to you. You need to seek other employment.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Got an interview through a third party recruiter for an app admin gig. The job ad is looking for a full admin but the recruiter is submitting me as a "junior" admin. I'm 90% qualified for the full admin role and confident I could handle it with a normal few months of onboarding and adjustment. Having read this thread I'm guessing that the recruiter is trying to undersell my salary to make an easy buck because my current title is a mid-level helpdesk tech (which doesn't reflect my experience being said app admin thus :yotj:).

I've not discussed salary or any other expectations and I've got a full time gig so there's little pressure. Would I be out of line to say I'm applying for the full role when I actually speak to the company in question during the interview? Or do I go forward under the assumption that I'm applying for the junior role and just tell 'em to get hosed if they offer me a pittance? There's also the possibility that I get an offer marginally better than my current situation--do I take getting labeled with an inferior job title and just try and jump ship in six months elsewhere for the full admin title?

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

tokenbrownguy posted:

Got an interview through a third party recruiter for an app admin gig. The job ad is looking for a full admin but the recruiter is submitting me as a "junior" admin. I'm 90% qualified for the full admin role and confident I could handle it with a normal few months of onboarding and adjustment. Having read this thread I'm guessing that the recruiter is trying to undersell my salary to make an easy buck because my current title is a mid-level helpdesk tech (which doesn't reflect my experience being said app admin thus :yotj:).

I've not discussed salary or any other expectations and I've got a full time gig so there's little pressure. Would I be out of line to say I'm applying for the full role when I actually speak to the company in question during the interview? Or do I go forward under the assumption that I'm applying for the junior role and just tell 'em to get hosed if they offer me a pittance? There's also the possibility that I get an offer marginally better than my current situation--do I take getting labeled with an inferior job title and just try and jump ship in six months elsewhere for the full admin title?

If you are only willing to accept a full admin role, it can only benefit you to set the expectation upfront that you're only interested in interviewing for a role where the title, job requirements, and compensation are for a full admin role, and are not willing to consider a junior admin role.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Yeah, no doubt. I'm plenty confident at asserting myself in those situations, but I was caught by surprise. They were all "so uh yeah the interview is on xyz and you'll be going in as a junior admin" and I'm all "yeah that sounds gre--wait what?" and the convo ended. I'll reach out and see if I can change the expectation.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Change the expectation before the interview. You don't want to walk into an interview and declare you actually want a different job (title).

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
So what's the right way to handle this?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Deadite posted:

So what's the right way to handle this?

Put a 0 or close the browser tab

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Zero or one hundred million dollars.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Ha, 0 worked. I was just thrown by how sternly it was worded.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

BabyFur Denny posted:

close the browser tab
This is the correct answer. A company that pulls this kind of crap on you this early in the application process is not one you want to work for, in all likelihood.

In a way, they're doing you a favor by showing you their true colors so soon.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

yeah 0. Or sometimes they prevent that, and you can put 1 in.

If they're going so far out of their way to stop applicants who don't want to give a salary, they'll probably ignore it once a human looks at it anyway, but that's their loss.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
nthing that closing the browser tab and moving on with your life is the only correct answer there.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Before clicking submit, you must kneel before the computer, raise your eyes to the heavens and shout, "oh Lord, I am but your wee vassal! I submit"

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

If they're being that big of pricks with how the question is worded, then putting "0" will likely also auto-reject

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
One dollar, Bob

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

There's an off chance that HR is being terrible on their template, but the actual hiring guy thinks it's bullshit, and he's the one who decides if there's room in his budget. In that case, he will ignore if you put in 0 or
99999999, but may be anchored by a realistic amount.

What I'm saying is, put in 0 and see what happens if you wrote the application already. But don't get your hopes up, it's likely to be poo poo as mentioned.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Name and shame.

Rails SDMM
Jan 15, 2008
Success story:

Started job hunting a couple months ago. Screwed up my initial round of offers by sharing my current salary like an idiot. These offers came in for 20% above current compensation, which is nice, but not amazing. Read this thread, refused to give a figure when pressed. First offer came in at about £180k. Negotiated near the £200k bracket - 2.5x my current salary and well above what I thought my market value was, working tech in the UK. Great thread. Cheers, lads!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Rails SDMM posted:

Success story:

Started job hunting a couple months ago. Screwed up my initial round of offers by sharing my current salary like an idiot. These offers came in for 20% above current compensation, which is nice, but not amazing. Read this thread, refused to give a figure when pressed. First offer came in at about £180k. Negotiated near the £200k bracket - 2.5x my current salary and well above what I thought my market value was, working tech in the UK. Great thread. Cheers, lads!

gently caress yes

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Rails SDMM posted:

Success story:

Bloody hell. The UK isn't known (at least to me) to have insane IT salaries. That's a hell of a win. Congrats. What field of IT are you in if you don't mind sharing? I used to work for a UK based company, and my peers made it sound like getting 60K over there was an accomplishment for a general system admin/IT person. This was in the Saltaire area though, not anywhere close to London.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
That's an absurd UK IT salary, congrats.

Rails SDMM
Jan 15, 2008

skipdogg posted:

Bloody hell. The UK isn't known (at least to me) to have insane IT salaries. That's a hell of a win. Congrats. What field of IT are you in if you don't mind sharing? I used to work for a UK based company, and my peers made it sound like getting 60K over there was an accomplishment for a general system admin/IT person. This was in the Saltaire area though, not anywhere close to London.

Software in London. The problem is that I was receiving offers from tier 3 companies (see: https://blog.pragmaticengineer.com/software-engineering-salaries-in-the-netherlands-and-europe/) but my last job was a high paying tier 2 company. Sharing my previous salary, which I considered to be good at the time, consistently landed offers 20-30% higher, but they would not budge past that point. Refusing to name a number first and leaving the ball in their court is what saved me here.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rails SDMM posted:

Success story:

Yeeeaaaaah boi

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Goddamn dude, way to go.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Goddamn can I ask what languages or tech stack are you working with for that kind of comp?

Rails SDMM
Jan 15, 2008

Inner Light posted:

Goddamn can I ask what languages or tech stack are you working with for that kind of comp?

C++, moving from the games industry into high frequency trading.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Rails SDMM posted:

C++, moving from the games industry into high frequency trading.

Ha that fukkin rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Rails SDMM posted:

Success story:

Right into my veins. Congrats! :toot: