Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Well, with the season set to start taping tomorrow, here's the epic Richards takedown we all wanted from Claire McNear, the world's only Jeopardy beat writer.

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2021/8/18/22631299/mike-richards-jeopardy-host-search-process-past-comments

quote:

But the sources who spoke to The Ringer, who were granted anonymity out of concern for potential retaliation, depict a different reality. Richards’s statement also does not align with several remarks he made on The Randumb Show, which he hosted from 2013 to 2014. A review of all 41 episodes of the podcast that were available online until Tuesday reveals that Richards repeatedly used offensive language and disparaged women’s bodies. In an episode published on September 4, 2014, after the iCloud photo hack, which exposed intimate images of numerous female celebrities, Richards asked his assistant and his cohost—both much younger women—whether they had ever taken nude photos. When his cohost said that she had sometimes taken photos of herself when she thought she looked cute, Richards responded, “Like booby pictures? What are we looking at?” Later, he asked to go through her phone; when she declined to share an image with him, he asked whether it was “of [her] boobies.”

Nice, dude.

Lots more in there, you should read the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
it's so weird to me that there wasn't more backlash against claire mcnear for some of her really bad early J! stuff

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2017/10/18/16498400/jeopardy-manny-one-dollar

like, hello? it's difficult to pick whats most bad out of this, but it's either the unnecessary shade on the contestants or completely misunderstanding final jeopardy bets

e: i would say i'm surprised that the JEOPARDY CONTESTANTS FACEBOOK GROUP monolith hasn't turned their ire toward this yet but most of them don't understand final jeopardy wagering either so

also lmao richards sucks so bad, this is the important thing, i don't actually care what claire mcnear (who has written a lot of good things) wrote 4 years ago

Spokes fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 19, 2021

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Came here to post this.

quote:

“Of all the people we were trying out, he had the least professional experience,” Roger Dobkowitz, a longtime Price producer, said in 2012 of Richards’s hosting audition. “He knew all the right words to say, but he did not bring anything special, personality or performance-wise, to the test show. His performance was compared to that of an eager student performing in a college show and putting on his best impersonation of what he thinks a game show host is.”

This 100% describes what I thought of Richards as J! host.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Dienes posted:

I'm unashamed that I knew that from Dresden Files.

:same:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Oh my god I just got to the parts where he threatened to smack a woman for wearing a sack near him and where he says Jews have big noses.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
This keeps looking better and better doesn't it? Sony must be concerned if ratings drop off even if Matt keeps going

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
James retweeted that Claire article. We'll never hear them but I am suuuuper curious about Ken's real opinion on everything.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
The more I digest the article , the more just, “drat this is bad,” it is.

The dude was already in the “he had a past issue of being sexist, but it isn’t enough to sink him.”

The poo poo , that he is on record saying, is just really bad. I don’t know what is more shocking, that the dude would be stupid enough to say this poo poo on a price is right oriented podcast, the fact that he never realized it was bad until the article was posted (when he took it down), or the fact that Sony executives just blatantly did not do their research and just rubber stamped him picking himself for the job.

Like, yeah corporate America, blah blah blah, but this show prints money. You would think they would take a minute to vet the dude.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

The Dick Cheney special looking more and more apt here.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, as good a time as any to revive split second, I say.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

RaspberrySea posted:

James retweeted that Claire article. We'll never hear them but I am suuuuper curious about Ken's real opinion on everything.

quote:

“I knew ‘Jeopardy!’ was in a spot this year, and I mostly wanted them to have a smooth transition,” Mr. Jennings said. “I was not going to lobby for that job in the media, ever. I was not going to plant stories about what a promising young candidate I was. I wasn’t interested in doing any of that. I am a company man.”

There were posters in this thread who commented - at the time - about how the burst of "boy this Mike Richards sure is doing a great job!" puff pieces that came out during his hosting stint felt astroturfed and that there were behind-the-scenes machinations going on. I feel like this is as close as Ken's going to get to coming right out and saying there's fire behind that smoke.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
They should just stop making new episodes and run Alex's for the rest of time.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Porfiriato posted:

There were posters in this thread who commented - at the time - about how the burst of "boy this Mike Richards sure is doing a great job!" puff pieces that came out during his hosting stint felt astroturfed and that there were behind-the-scenes machinations going on. I feel like this is as close as Ken's going to get to coming right out and saying there's fire behind that smoke.

That made me go back to when he originally hosted in this thread, and Spokes called it after his very first episode.

Spokes posted:

Not really, I just got a really insincere vibe from his "explanation". There's thousands of actors/celebrities in LA that would be thrilled to test/quarantine/whatever for the hosting opportunity and he just had to step in and do it, there's nooooobody else. It really feels like he's trying to downplay that he wants it.

That said, I think he did a fine job and would be perfectly serviceable as the permanent host. But something really feels off and I hope i'm wrong

It's also a real bummer to read all of the posts that say, "He's not bad but we know that he'll never be the permanent host."

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm not a fan of Holzhauer by any means but I do appreciate him basically openly coming out and being like "hey this guy sucks" because he's easily the highest profile ex-contestant to do that. Ken won't for obvious reasons and Brad seems to have maintained radio silence on the whole thing.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
If this was strictly Jeopardy then it's messy enough but he's EP of Wheel of Fortune so this can severely impact both shows if the pressure to oust him is great enough. You then need two people and the host is the easier of the two to fill. Possibly three if Mayim's skeletons come to light (not the brain pills).

Also, how in the name of Cthulhu did Fremantle allow this podcast out with that content?

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 19, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Incredible that it would've been an all time stupid loving decision to make him host even without anything personally bad coming out and it still gets worse and worse.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It seems that Jeopardy! is in jeopardy :haw:

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

The thing is, Ken has enough of an Online history to generate a similar article. The main difference to me is that this guy made a bunch of 'jokes' objectifying women while he was being accused of workplace discrimination by women who worked for him. Ken just made jokes that most people wouldn't have thought twice about at the time, but there are plenty of people who wouldn't make that distinction.

At the end of the day, though, the vast majority of Jeopardy's audience isn't on Twitter, in Jeopardy contestant Facebook groups, or reading The Ringer. Sony clearly thinks this is going to blow over and they're probably right.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
It's clear that Sony is hoping to just ride this out, but it really feels like these revelations are starting to pick up steam in the mainstream press and The Anti-Defamation League just called for an investigation. I don't know how much longer a simple apology from Mike and no statement from Sony is going to cut it.

I should realize that it's stupid to have hope about anything these days, but I'm going to keep devoting my mental energy to this!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I'd love for Richard's to be gone. Unfortunately that prob means Blossom gets promoted to full time gig which is just as gross.

#GiveIt2Buzzy

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

banned from Starbucks posted:

I'd love for Richard's to be gone. Unfortunately that prob means Blossom gets promoted to full time gig which is just as gross.

#GiveIt2Buzzy

Hopefully her horrible sitcom keeps getting renewed, preventing her from getting it

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
BBT has been over for a while now.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

packetmantis posted:

BBT has been over for a while now.

Call Me Kat was really dire, the ads indicated it got good ratings, hut I don't want to sully my browsing history verifying if it got renewed

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
:whitewater: I hadn't even heard of that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Why is there a host at all, just have a computer read the questions aloud for those who can't read.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

packetmantis posted:

:whitewater: I hadn't even heard of that.

It was one of the rare shows I had to turn off part way through the pilot

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Iron Crowned posted:

Hopefully her horrible sitcom keeps getting renewed, preventing her from getting it

Well, we get at least one year's break.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

Why is there a host at all, just have a computer read the questions aloud for those who can't read.

Worth mentioning , the latest jeopardy video game (not that recent) is as good as a video game of jeopardy can get. Would recommend.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

banned from Starbucks posted:

#GiveIt2Buzzy

Buzzy as main host, Buzzy in a wig for the primetime specials

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
What if we all start a boycott of Consumer Cellular?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Do non-Boomers even use Consumer Cellular?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I assure you, they do not.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I like how the story opens with him admitting he's bad at trivia and would never make it on the show.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

My 35-year-old sister and her husband do.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I like how the story opens with him admitting he's bad at trivia and would never make it on the show.

Make the hosts play :twisted:

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1428517327276961792

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

:pray:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
These episodes shot in 16:9 but framed for 4:3 are weirding me out