Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Business Gorillas posted:

as a professional bullshitter this is absolutely true

seconded

if you wear a nice suit and interview well, you can get tons of jobs you're not qualified for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Lacrosse posted:

I got some really interesting insider information from the Seattle music scene today; someone I know is a musician that plays at bar-type venues in and around Seattle and they said that they had 3 gigs lined up that all got suddenly canceled. The liaison from one of the larger venues told them that the DHS is quietly going around to businesses and giving them the heads up that if cases aren't brought down within 3 months then the state is going to lock down everything like last year. This is leading music venues to cancel anything except priority shows, and they suspect that the recent Watershed Festival at The Gorge Amphitheater that happened at the beginning of August is what spurred the health department to take action. The case counts originating from that festival must be worse than the state government is letting on, and is probably directly responsible for Inslee's decision to bring back the mask mandate state-wide.

ahh the refreshing mist of piss in the wind

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
i just let people know how much i can help with their logistics and it opens up all sorts of garage doors

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Casey Finnigan posted:

my boss at my last job would come in early and leave late every day so it looked like he worked hard but then he would just do absolutely nothing at all the entire day, as far as anyone could tell.

that owns lol

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Feds? Or does this mean something different in WA

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

ok let's just wait 3 months and see what happens

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Lacrosse posted:

I got some really interesting insider information from the Seattle music scene today; someone I know is a musician that plays at bar-type venues in and around Seattle and they said that they had 3 gigs lined up that all got suddenly canceled. The liaison from one of the larger venues told them that the DHS is quietly going around to businesses and giving them the heads up that if cases aren't brought down within 3 months then the state is going to lock down everything like last year. This is leading music venues to cancel anything except priority shows, and they suspect that the recent Watershed Festival at The Gorge Amphitheater that happened at the beginning of August is what spurred the health department to take action. The case counts originating from that festival must be worse than the state government is letting on, and is probably directly responsible for Inslee's decision to bring back the mask mandate state-wide.

My wife works for a law firm, managing their help desk, and they just bought a shitload of laptops and started issuing them to administrative assistants. Pretty good indicator that she won't be in the office much longer. Thank god.

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Helith posted:

So let me get this straight

people in Florida who are really ill with covid are going to a library

to buy regeneron

which the governor of Florida, DeSantis, owns shares in

and they are collapsing in the queue

and the man in tallahass
said stop mandating masks
and it turned into a maga grift

you see governor ron
owns shares in regeneron
so he sent us to the library to collapse

Apr 7, 2003

WampaLord posted:

seconded

if you wear a nice suit and interview well, you can get tons of jobs you're not qualified for

aaaand once you get hired for a job you're not qualified for, you will get all the resources in the world to help you get qualified since the people who hired you don't want to get embarrassed.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

who the gently caress let all these computer liberals into the covid thread

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

its c-spam they're everywhere

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
best part of computer touching is that your interview is like please sort this list as fast as possible or traverse this tree or give me the big o of whatever algorithm and then you get the job and you get nothing but “make this webpage blue” assignments

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
maybe Floridians don’t know how the library works and they’re napping

Apr 7, 2003

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

Every covid-displaced worker in this forum deserves a cushy remote computer job.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

fits my needs posted:

that owns lol

yeah when the pandemic kicked off in march 2020 we had some all-hands meetings where he didn't know some extremely basic poo poo about how the job worked (managing logistics in a warehouse) and people were surprised he was that incompetent and he actually got openly poo poo on for once. I was laid off like a week later c'est la vie

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008
anyone make this yet?

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

McNugget Buddy posted:

Feds? Or does this mean something different in WA

typo for DSHS my bad. It's the Department of Social and Health Services.

edit: But they also might've meant the Department of Health and just said the wrong thing. I'm not sure, so take it with a grain of salt. Even if it's a rumor it makes me feel better that someone might eventually do something if poo poo gets bad enough.

Lacrosse fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 20, 2021

Apr 7, 2003

I'm literal loving hill garbage high school drop-out trash, a piece of utter poo poo waste that somehow got a computer job and is now economically as secure as anyone like me can be. If I, a person who had two shirts for fifth grade and dried them over a radiator, can make it, it is incumbent on me to share how I made it with everyone here. No one should left to suffer and if I can help other people to get do-nothing mobster computer jobs, by god, I'm going to do it.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

goon business owners rise up and create an army

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I got my entre into the computer toucher world by getting a data entry job with Fisher Scientific and using their resources to self-train in Oracle poo poo

Also basically lying non-stop about my capabilities and learning on the fly

If you're not a Top 100 BS CS dork, absolutely learn to dress well and look nice at work and at interviews because that will handle 90% of the work for you. This forum is full of people who poo poo on wearing nice shoes and getting nice clothes but the class barrier is 8/10ths of getting into a good job and if you dress well and seem confident you'll get all sorts of jobs you aren't qualified for.

Yeah I did a few years of the grooming stuff, I could do it again

Then again, I'd rather work on something I'm passionate about

Perhaps touching computers....to analyze data....that shows the benefits of doomscrolling

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

I'm literal loving hill garbage high school drop-out trash, a piece of utter poo poo waste that somehow got a computer job and is now economically as secure as anyone like me can be. If I, a person who had two shirts for fifth grade and dried them over a radiator, can make it, it is incumbent on me to share how I made it with everyone here. No one should left to suffer and if I can help other people to get do-nothing mobster computer jobs, by god, I'm going to do it.

glad you're back pfc

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

pillsburysoldier posted:

Doesn't LA have really lovely air and fire smoke bearing down on it?

Nope, that's upstate!

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

nobody cares

Apr 7, 2003

You clearly do.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Asproigerosis posted:

ER IS BOPPIN WITH CONI HELL YEAH BROTHER WE HANGING AN BANGING BIDEN IS HERE TO OPEN

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

euphronius posted:

who is more vaccinated:
MDs or JDs

MD vaccination rate is in the 90s

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I hate tech for a multitude of reasons but I don't have to write code or directly manage anyone so I try not to complain too much

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

triple sulk posted:

I hate tech for a multitude of reasons but I don't have to write code or directly manage anyone so I try not to complain too much

Apr 7, 2003

triple sulk posted:

i basically gently caress off 36 out of 40 hours in a week, do a little bit of work, and I'm lauded as a genius who does a fantastic job keeping poo poo in order and I keep getting promoted over and over despite spending my time playing video games and posting on this forum.

My brother got scalped from his insurance company job to a consultancy maintaining the software his insurance company job uses at 150% of what he was being paid before, for basically doing nothing new or different. he's getting paid over $100K to work in the loving Scranton suburbs where that money makes him a king.

I'm labor and I'll take whatever tilts the table towards labor.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

yikes

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Golden Bee posted:

maybe Floridians don’t know how the library works and they’re napping

Napping is exactly how public libraries work

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Lacrosse posted:

It's also made out of dead babies! :v:

More valuable than gold and more precious than rubies.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

pivoting away from writing code is the best thing. just being able to present yourself as someone who can understand why writing code sucks and the pitfalls with regards to estimating work, regressions, etc. is worth a lot to people

you'll probably make 25-40% less than devs but you do 95% less work which ends up being things you can still take credit for. bing bong so simple

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

pillsburysoldier posted:

Napping is exactly how public libraries work

you might also be engaging in the pastime of one guy I used to see at the library all the time, and that's masturbating to yahoo newsgroups about adult diaper lovers while using a special security shield over the monitor so you can only see what he's masturbating to in the public library if you're directly behind him or as it turns out within forty five degrees of eyeline

Apr 7, 2003

DoombatINC posted:

you might also be engaging in the pastime of one guy I used to see at the library all the time, and that's masturbating to yahoo newsgroups about adult diaper lovers while using a special security shield over the monitor so you can only see what he's masturbating to in the public library if you're directly behind him or as it turns out within forty five degrees of eyeline

Glad there's public infrastructure for this guy

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

bamlanivimab

Whoa black betty, bamlanivimab

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

ruh roh some third shot booster havers in Israel are starting to pop positive

https://www.timesofisrael.com/tv-14-israelis-who-got-3rd-shot-later-infected-with-covid-19/

its that pfizer trash juice

moderna supremacy

Apr 7, 2003

post COVID posted:

glad you're back pfc

hey, thanks! Glad you're here too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

DoombatINC posted:

Napping and fapping
Is all i crave