Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I don't follow anything motorcycle related but the GP winner was spoiled for me on Twitter when it came up as a trending topic. So of course I'm watching the race trying to understand how the hell Binder could possibly win it when he's in a comfortable 8th getting near the end. Well now I know! I was honestly laughing my rear end off and clapping when I saw the front runners pit and he just stayed out there riding his brass balls to victory. And holy smoke Martin just smoking everyone on slicks on the last lap lmao. What a race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Now that was pod racing.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I was sitting there the last two or three laps literally biting my knuckles going "don't crash, don't crash!"

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
what was kinda known to be true is now official:

https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2021/08/16/maverick-vinales-to-race-with-aprilia-in-2022/387024

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

And it's only a 1+1 option lmao :sad:

I need to put a giant Aprilia logo on my recycling bin.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

At least when riding the Aprillia the problems probably will be with the bike and not between his ears.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Last week's moto3 ending was pretty rad. Such a commanding lead that you can crash and keep your finishing place.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmGe9IpjXjI
lick my dilz dorna

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That race was the epitome of the cream rising to the top, fixing the drafting situation in M3 is really vital cause some really good riders are getting buried by also rans who game the system to qualify high.

I can't find it ATM but my favorite Pedro Acosta thing was him and Marquez having an awkward backstage conversation where Marc asks him if he started on minibikes or minimoto or whatever and he tells him he started on a lovely chinese pitbike.

He's like Marquez' iron alloyed with the carbon of childhood poverty, I've never seen a surer bet for future world champion before.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

Slavvy posted:

That race was the epitome of the cream rising to the top, fixing the drafting situation in M3 is really vital cause some really good riders are getting buried by also rans who game the system to qualify high.

I can't find it ATM but my favorite Pedro Acosta thing was him and Marquez having an awkward backstage conversation where Marc asks him if he started on minibikes or minimoto or whatever and he tells him he started on a lovely chinese pitbike.

He's like Marquez' iron alloyed with the carbon of childhood poverty, I've never seen a surer bet for future world champion before.
I think that may be this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF74O-oZf3g It's pretty cool for a couple reasons. One, it's neat to see Marquez trying to be the elder statesman, at 28 years old, to his 16 year old colleague. But then Fabio appears and Kramer's his way into the conversation with his loving weird pants, and you remember that these guys are young goofballs who just have a very strange job. Awesome clip.

As for the races, absolute insanity in the best possible way. Moto3 was back to its Moto3 ways, constant back and forth that was a joy to watch. I was glad Onzu and Fogia were able to find their way to the podium, both those guys seem to have had some bad luck at various points this season.

And then holy poo poo MotoGP. I have been showing this race to anyone who will watch, that was one of the strangest and most fun things I've seen in sports. Far too often people talk about "gambles" they took that were really either a moment where their hand was forced, or making a slightly suboptimal decision for a huge potential payoff. But Brad Big Balls Binder decided that he was going to ride around an (apparently) super dangerous track, on slick tires, in a raging downpour, just for the shot at glory. AND HE WON! I asked about Acosta before, and if he really is as good as he seems or if I just don't see something because I don't know this sport, so I'll ask it here too: Will this race be something people are still talking about a decade or more on, or is it just a neat thing but no that big a deal? For my money it was incredible and I'm glad I got to see it when it happened, because it seems like it should hang around for a while.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It was a really crazy bizarre race but you average about one of those a season. They aren't usually thought of as 'great' races because those are the ones that have an actual battle for the lead. The race being decided by what is effectively pit stop strategy has happened many times before, but rarely so dramatically on the last lap. Flag to flag races are often a rollercoaster clownshow, and this was a particularly crazy one, but they are rarely remembered because they rarely have any impact on the championship and usually aren't indicative of the general level of the riders so winning one or getting on the podium doesn't 'count' as much, if you know what I mean. This one is particularly notable fit the heroics and crazy timing but yeah. Not a big deal.

Have a look at assen 2016 for example, or Argentina 2018. They were crazy bizarre races nobody remembers, it happens.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Aug 18, 2021

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

Slavvy posted:

It was a really crazy bizarre race but you average about one of those a season. They aren't usually thought of as 'great' races because those are the ones that have an actual battle for the lead. The race being decided by what is effectively pit stop strategy has happened many times before, but rarely so dramatically on the last lap. Flag to flag races are often a rollercoaster clownshow, and this was a particularly crazy one, but they are rarely remembered because they rarely have any impact on the championship and usually aren't indicative of the general level of the riders so winning one or getting on the podium doesn't 'count' as much, if you know what I mean. This one is particularly notable fit the heroics and crazy timing but yeah. Not a big deal.

Have a look at assen 2016 for example, or Argentina 2018. They were crazy bizarre races nobody remembers, it happens.
That makes sense, and honestly is even more encouraging from a fan standpoint. One or two races like this a year would be reason enough to watch on their own :)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Aside from the numerous argy bargy incidents, which I put down to psychological strain from the covid situation, I'd call this a pretty quiet and uneventful season thus far. Watch 2015 or 2017/18 for some crazy fucken poo poo.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Malaysian GP cancelled in favour of a double header in Misano.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

It seems insane to me that Austin is still on the calendar but apparently they are determined to hold that race no matter what.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I honestly thought that had been cancelled.

I find it funny that Japan thought hosting an Olympics was alright but a crowdless race at motegi? Unacceptable.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

I've got box tickets for Austin, but I don't really want to fly to Texas for that right in the middle of fall with the Delta variant running around. You know Texas won't blink and cancel it, so it's gonna have to be FIM.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I honestly thought that had been cancelled.

I find it funny that Japan thought hosting an Olympics was alright but a crowdless race at motegi? Unacceptable.

I don't think they wanted to have the Olympics either.

No way anything is closed in Texas, the governor is too Republican, even though he has covid righf now.

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

Well, that's that...

*Curb Your Enthusiasm theme music intensifies*

https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2021/08/20/yamaha-and-vinales-end-2021-agreement/387214

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Into the bin

Hopefully Cal does a Bayliss and sneaks a win late season fill in.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Cal to Yamaha Monster, Jake Dixon up to SRT GP team for Silverstone.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Possibly the most undeserving promotion since Xavier Simeon

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

Slavvy posted:

I legitimately spat out my drink; it's hilarious how utterly unremarkable he was.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Slavvy posted:

Its all about getting people in to buy more Union Jack themed tshirts.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I never thought I'd ever say this because he's so fucken hopeless but: Sam Lowes would've been a drastically better choice if it's a passport issue

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Slavvy posted:

I never thought I'd ever say this because he's so fucken hopeless but: Sam Lowes would've been a drastically better choice if it's a passport issue

Dixon is still a Petronas rider till the end of the season, out of their stable though it would have been interesting to see John McPhee get a shot on a big bike.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

echomadman posted:

Dixon is still a Petronas rider till the end of the season, out of their stable though it would have been interesting to see John McPhee get a shot on a big bike.

McPhee has flashes of brilliance but definitely has finishing problems...

Anyone following WSBK? Scott Redding is going to BMW next year.
Plus Suzuki will have a wildcard entry this year:
The Suzuki brand will return to MOTUL FIM Superbike World Championship competition for the first time in three years with a wildcard appearance at the Pirelli Navarra Round, with Naomichi Uramoto riding the GSX-R1000 machine at the Circuito de Navarra, meaning there will be six manufacturers on the grid at the Spanish venue.

anyone heard if there's wild speculation of them coming back full time?

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Skreemer posted:

McPhee has flashes of brilliance but definitely has finishing problems...

Anyone following WSBK? Scott Redding is going to BMW next year.
Plus Suzuki will have a wildcard entry this year:
The Suzuki brand will return to MOTUL FIM Superbike World Championship competition for the first time in three years with a wildcard appearance at the Pirelli Navarra Round, with Naomichi Uramoto riding the GSX-R1000 machine at the Circuito de Navarra, meaning there will be six manufacturers on the grid at the Spanish venue.

anyone heard if there's wild speculation of them coming back full time?

mostly only follow the news of it since it's a pain in the rear end to watch but hadn't heard the suzuki thing. I would love for them to come back full time especially since reportedly reddings reason for jumping to bmw is they are promising a ton of development money being spent. if suzuki and bmw start taking it as seriously as kawasaki it could be an interesting race series

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If Suzuki and bmw take it seriously they'll just get to fight with Yamaha for the final podium spots. Grid striation is practically built into the rules and the organizers make it worse with each fumbled attempt to create parity. Whole class needs to be scrapped and replaced with bikes people actually use and buy.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I hear what you're saying Slavvy, they've been fighting Rea/Kawasaki dominance for years and failing. Though with this last race Rea and Toprak are even on points so hopefully we'll have a championship this year instead of the Rea/Kawasaki show.

Though please no more tracks like Navarra, get out in front in the first lap or two and then just merry-go-round the rest of the race unless someone screws up.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Marc is gonna win this one or die trying

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Marc is gonna win this one or die trying

I'm chalking it up to morning conditions for now since pol did pretty well for the first half I got to watch, but Marc definitely has a hungry look on his face and if he can qualify well who knows

finished up fp1 and yeah definitely

the paradigm shift fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 27, 2021

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
MotoGP stewards: you went half an inch over the curb, lap canceled instantly

Also motoGP stewards: you cut a whole chicane and went 1.5 seconds faster in a 30 second sector? We didn't notice until the TV guys pointed it out.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Anyone watch Moto3 Q2? How good/lucky is Romano Fenati...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

MotoGP stewards: you went half an inch over the curb, lap canceled instantly

Also motoGP stewards: you cut a whole chicane and went 1.5 seconds faster in a 30 second sector? We didn't notice until the TV guys pointed it out.

I'm starting to think 'guided by the hand of Jesus' is not an effective regulatory regime

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

https://the-race.com/motogp/dovizioso-set-to-make-motogp-race-return-at-misano/

Boom, there it is... Credit to Monster Yamaha for actually giving Franco the nod too...

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Did motogp.com just poo poo the bed for anyone else? Like a minute before race start the site kicked me off the stream.

The account profile page just says "We apologise for any inconvenience caused by this brief suspension of service." so presumably something on the back end broke and the player can't verify my videopass status.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Aug 29, 2021

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Collateral Damage posted:

Did motogp.com just poo poo the bed for anyone else? Like a minute before race start the site kicked me off the stream.

The account profile page just says "We apologise for any inconvenience caused by this brief suspension of service." so presumably something on the back end broke and the player can't verify my videopass status.

Yeah its just back now in a non-rewindable limited version. loving wankers, Searching twitter to see if they made any announcement just delivered a feed of spoilers posted by the Motogp official account, they finally acknowledged the problem with 3 laps left.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Guess I'll wait for a few hours and see if I can watch the race later.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
they just posted the full race link
https://www.motogp.com/en/videos/2021/08/29/monster-energy-british-grand-prix-motogp-race/388924

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
It must be a huge psychological blow to Marquez to find out he can't ram people and remain upright 100% of the time anymore.