Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
The new year of racing is upon us. Both races in the Americas (north and south) have been postponed, and parts of Europe is starting to head into yet another lockdown. Let's hope this season has crazy racing, but not so crazy for the overall world situation.

BARWA GRAND PRIX OF QATAR

pre:
MotoGP Entry list 2021PDF
 Number	Rider	           Nation	Team	Motorcycle
 5	    Johann ZARCO	   FRA	 Pramac Racing	Ducati
 6	    Stefan BRADL	   GER	 Repsol Honda Team	Honda
 9	    Danilo PETRUCCI    ITA	 Tech 3 KTM Factory Racing	KTM
 10	    Luca MARINI	       ITA	 SKY VR46 Esponsorama	Ducati
 12	    Maverick VIÑALES   SPA	 Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP	Yamaha
 20	    Fabio QUARTARARO   FRA	 Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP	Yamaha
 21	    Franco MORBIDELLI  ITA	 Petronas Yamaha SRT	Yamaha
 23	    Enea BASTIANINI    ITA	 Esponsorama Racing	Ducati
 27	    Iker LECUONA	   SPA	 Tech 3 KTM Factory Racing	KTM
 30	    Takaaki NAKAGAMI   JPN	 LCR Honda IDEMITSU	Honda
 32	    Lorenzo SAVADORI   ITA	 Aprilia Racing Team Gresini	Aprilia
 33	    Brad BINDER	       RSA	 Red Bull KTM Factory Racing	KTM
 36	    Joan MIR	       SPA	 Team SUZUKI ECSTAR	Suzuki
 41	    Aleix ESPARGARO	   SPA	 Aprilia Racing Team Gresini	Aprilia
 42	    Alex RINS	       SPA	 Team SUZUKI ECSTAR	Suzuki
 43	    Jack MILLER	       AUS	 Ducati Lenovo Team	Ducati
 44	    Pol ESPARGARO	   SPA	 Repsol Honda Team	Honda
 46	    Valentino ROSSI	   ITA	 Petronas Yamaha SRT	Yamaha
 63	    Francesco BAGNAIA  ITA	 Ducati Lenovo Team	Ducati
 73	    Alex MARQUEZ	   SPA	 LCR Honda CASTROL	Honda
 88	    Miguel OLIVEIRA	   POR	 Red Bull KTM Factory Racing	KTM
 89	    Jorge MARTIN	   SPA	 Pramac Racing	Ducati
 93	    Marc MARQUEZ	   SPA	 Repsol Honda Team	Honda 

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Jorge Lorenzo has been a global treasure on social media. https://motosprint.corrieredellosport.it/news/english-version/motogp/2021/03/10-4003172/motogp_jorge_lorenzo_social_media_debate_i_like_it_/

He's the de facto 2021 world champion.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Haha excellent. Crutchlow's livery looking sweet.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yesss I love those Yamaha blocks and wish they would put them on their bikes.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

this has been hilarious as a good sideshow leading into the season

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Lorenzo posted:

"0 wins in 18 years? Really? The fact you’re still in MotoGP is just magic"

That has to be a mistake. He has to have won something in the support classes right?

Guess not.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
We back the Suzuki Stan Has Logged On.

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

the paradigm shift posted:

this has been hilarious as a good sideshow leading into the season

What was even more hilarious is most people just had to sit back and bite their tongue because he's bested Rossi, Stoner and Marquez. Not to mention he's also the King of Scarves...

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

so unless I'm reading this wrong the riders on ducatis keep asking for better cornering and what they've been given again is hella top speed.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

so unless I'm reading this wrong the riders on ducatis keep asking for better cornering and what they've been given again is hella top speed.

I love Ducati because they're so loving hopeless and on brand at all times.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

The BTSport broadcast of FP2 was saying Jack Miller thinks the cornering is better due to the new aero, they have a new lower scoop that is supposedly doing some kind of ground effect that's helping the bike stick better through the corners. If that's true then Dovi really hosed up because they might be on for a really good year.

Also Netflix and F1 have had great success with Drive to Survive so they decided to branch out:

https://twitter.com/motomatters/status/1375441304029642756?s=20

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

The BTSport broadcast of FP2 was saying Jack Miller thinks the cornering is better due to the new aero, they have a new lower scoop that is supposedly doing some kind of ground effect that's helping the bike stick better through the corners. If that's true then Dovi really hosed up because they might be on for a really good year.

Also Netflix and F1 have had great success with Drive to Survive so they decided to branch out:

:swoon:

What utter slanderous nonsense.

They've also got improved mechanical launch control!

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

Wonder if they'll be a little brazen and allude to the Iannone saga? Nothing we wouldn't already know but would still be curious to see how the topic is broached, if at all...

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

gregbest90 posted:

Wonder if they'll be a little brazen and allude to the Iannone saga? Nothing we wouldn't already know but would still be curious to see how the topic is broached, if at all...

Probably not since they just started filming this year and he's been gone already. I haven't watched drive to survive but the impression I get is that it emphasizes things that seem weird or unimportant to the hardcore fans because it's trying to draw in non-fans. If that's the case who knows what we'll see, the travails of test rider Bradl or something. I'll still watch it though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

An hour of cutting back and forth between oliveira fixing teeth and marrying his cousin.

A day in the life of nakagami's sister.

Uccio's rossi miniatures collection.

The logistical structure of ducati's catering.

Jack miller talking about how hard it is to not be blotto all the time..

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

An hour of cutting back and forth between oliveira fixing teeth and marrying his cousin.

A day in the life of nakagami's sister.

Uccio's rossi miniatures collection.

The logistical structure of ducati's catering.

Jack miller talking about how hard it is to not be blotto all the time..

:five:

Crutchlow just randomly falling over doing ordinary tasks.

Every episode closing on Lorenzo contemplating which scarf to wear for the next day.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
I need to get in the online betting game and see what odds I can get for Ducati taking every holeshot this year.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Holy poo poo when the Ducatis are running full fuel they’re like another class of bike, that straight line speed is unbelievable.

That last corner for Mir was :negative:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ZARCOOOOOO

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
A fun start to the year that's for sure.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
I don't know why everyone doesn't just paint their motorcycles red. Clearly it makes them go faster.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

No Team Green for me, I have a red Kawasaki :hfive:

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

KodiakRS posted:

I don't know why everyone doesn't just paint their motorcycles red. Clearly it makes them go faster.

They need to make sure they have Pramac on there too :mmmhmm:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

KodiakRS posted:

I don't know why everyone doesn't just paint their motorcycles red riders french. Clearly it makes them go faster.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal
I have never watched an entire MotoGP race before, but I decided this would be the year to try to get into it. The race was awesome, and as Maverick Vinales started to work his way forward I looked him up. This told me two things:
1.) That he won the race already (managed to ruin it for myself since I was watching on tape delay)
2.) His name is actually Maverick, and it's because his dad is a fan of Top Gun.

Boom, he's my guy now. Go Vinales!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

JohnClark posted:

I have never watched an entire MotoGP race before, but I decided this would be the year to try to get into it. The race was awesome, and as Maverick Vinales started to work his way forward I looked him up. This told me two things:
1.) That he won the race already (managed to ruin it for myself since I was watching on tape delay)
2.) His name is actually Maverick, and it's because his dad is a fan of Top Gun.

Boom, he's my guy now. Go Vinales!

I'm so sorry.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
Yeah if there is one word to sum up Vinales's MotoGP career it's "underperformance." Although Dovi was always my guy and he only won two races over 9 years before he suddenly became a clear title contender, so there is precedent for Maverick getting his poo poo together at this late stage in the game.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah if there is one word to sum up Vinales's MotoGP career it's "underperformance." Although Dovi was always my guy and he only won two races over 9 years before he suddenly became a clear title contender, so there is precedent for Maverick getting his poo poo together at this late stage in the game.

Dovi was a pigeonholed b-rider/development donkey who managed to break out of his own cage and repeatedly bitchslap Marc Marquez like nobody has done before or since on a questionable truck of a bike that nobody else could get working consistently. He did this through sheer mental fortitude and persistence.

Vinales is an over-hyped Marquez wannabe who debuted on a factory team on the easiest bike in the class, which many people have won many races and championships on, got routinely outperformed by two different frenchmen, a man with girl hair and a geriatric, claimed his championship winning crew chief didn't know anything and is generally extremely flaky and inconsistent. Said crew chief is now with morbidelli, the guy who came second in the championship last year and won 3x the races maverick did. Somehow he keeps getting re-signed by Yamaha despite the large supply of hungry rookies.

I will say it now: if a yamaha wins this title it won't be his one. He will melt like unsalted butter the moment Marc returns. My money is still on mir and zarco fighting for second behind Marc.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Slavvy posted:

Dovi was a pigeonholed b-rider/development donkey who managed to break out of his own cage and repeatedly bitchslap Marc Marquez like nobody has done before or since on a questionable truck of a bike that nobody else could get working consistently. He did this through sheer mental fortitude and persistence.

Vinales is an over-hyped Marquez wannabe who debuted on a factory team on the easiest bike in the class, which many people have won many races and championships on, got routinely outperformed by two different frenchmen, a man with girl hair and a geriatric, claimed his championship winning crew chief didn't know anything and is generally extremely flaky and inconsistent. Said crew chief is now with morbidelli, the guy who came second in the championship last year and won 3x the races maverick did. Somehow he keeps getting re-signed by Yamaha despite the large supply of hungry rookies.

I will say it now: if a yamaha wins this title it won't be his one. He will melt like unsalted butter the moment Marc returns. My money is still on mir and zarco fighting for second behind Marc.

Suzuki's just got the 1 title in the 4 stoke era and they got that post-maverick i know you meant yamaha, lol everyone forgets poor suzuki

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

You really think Marc is coming back? His arm seems super-hosed.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah I forgot Suzuki, though it now appears to be better than the Yamaha and might always have been, it was so underpowered when he was there it wasn't reasonable to expect anything. He should've hit the ground running on a nearly identical bike but with far more resources on the team side.

builds character posted:

He will be back at either portimao or the race after that, guaranteed. His arm is good enough to wring the neck off an rc213vS, if he had a more conservative style/easier bike he'd be back already.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 1, 2021

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

builds character posted:

He'll definitely come back, but he is probably hosed and once he starts crashing again I think he's going to look into the void like Lorenzo did. I just don't think he has it in him to tootle around at the back getting gradually up to speed, not sure that even works on the Honda anyway, and there's no real opportunity for testing to knock off a year and a half of rust. He's going to see red the first time Rossi passes him for 14th and his ambition is going to crush his ability.

Vinales will crack by the 3rd race when it's 2 degrees too warm and he's fighting for 12th with the rookies and just doesnt understand and its a completely different bike and we tried to make a big change and understand the feeling and :cry: Again.

I question slavvy's characterization of the Bike That Iannone Built as a dodgy truck. Jack, Jorge (99), and Johan all seem to have gotten a handle on it fairly well, they just didn't have 10 years of practice on it backed by a factory desperate to make a wholesome homegrown hero. It's probably second best machine on the grid after The Other Bike Iannone Built.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The Ducati is probably the second best bike, yes, but it still has crippling handicaps that only a truly transcendent rider can overcome in each and every race and I don't think they have a guy like that, zarco is the closest imo.

Iannone didn't do jack poo poo for Suzuki besides costing them a season, when they decided to let him choose what engine to use and he jumped the wrong way because he was still in truck driving mode, leading them to spend a season understeering everywhere because their engine had millstones for flywheels.

Like go back and look at the results of the Ducatis. Dovi was the only guy to ever be remotely consistent, george included. And his tilt at the title came in his fifth year on the red bike, third on the current bike (the gp13/14 had nothing in common with the newer bike, there was a clean cut when gigi took over design and there was likely no useful experience to draw from it), hardly ten years of preparation.

My honest opinion on Ducati: their turning issue persists across several eras of bikes, riders, technology and rules. This leads me to believe their issue is not technical, but philosophical. They are unwilling to lose even a small amount of their strengths in order to improve their weaknesses, and because the only way forward from here is a shorter wheelbase that would hurt braking and acceleration, they continue to gently caress about with aerodynamics in a fugue of denial.

Compare and contrast to Honda, who were told unequivocally by marc that they would lose in 2019 if they didn't massively improve straight line performance. So they made the difficult but necessary choice to sacrifice some cornering performance in order to improve acceleration, I think by just making the bike longer and more rear-heavy aka moving in ducati's direction. It destroyed the seasons of all their other riders but marc was able to overcome the corner entry handicap and win.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 2, 2021

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

He'll definitely come back, but he is probably hosed and once he starts crashing again I think he's going to look into the void like Lorenzo did. I just don't think he has it in him to tootle around at the back getting gradually up to speed, not sure that even works on the Honda anyway, and there's no real opportunity for testing to knock off a year and a half of rust. He's going to see red the first time Rossi passes him for 14th and his ambition is going to crush his ability.

Vinales will crack by the 3rd race when it's 2 degrees too warm and he's fighting for 12th with the rookies and just doesnt understand and its a completely different bike and we tried to make a big change and understand the feeling and :cry: Again.

I question slavvy's characterization of the Bike That Iannone Built as a dodgy truck. Jack, Jorge (99), and Johan all seem to have gotten a handle on it fairly well, they just didn't have 10 years of practice on it backed by a factory desperate to make a wholesome homegrown hero. It's probably second best machine on the grid after The Other Bike Iannone Built.

I don't think he's going to implode like Lorenzo did, I think he's going to just become the slight favorite for the title rather then the prohibitive favorite. You've got the Honda being reengineered to be more friendly for other riders which will be better for them overall but probably cost Marc a tenth or two per lap because he can't make it do the crazy poo poo it used to do. You got the unconscious psychological issues both with Marc not wanting to get hurt so he goes a bit slower and the other young riders getting a taste of victory while he was gone and not being as intimidated or giving him the deference they used to. Plus he's just getting older and he won't be able to rely on cat like reflexes like he used to. He's not quite 30 yet so it won't be like Anderson Silva trying to fight with his hands down at his side when he's almost 40 and having that catch up with him all in a rush, but he's going to start getting some DNFs that he didn't used to before he learns to take it easy I'd bet. I bet he still wins a fair amount of races this year though.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Or, he will be like Doohan and pound everyone restlessly until he crashes one too many times and is left permanently scarred.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

algebra testes posted:

Or, he will be like Doohan and pound everyone restlessly until he crashes one too many times and is left permanently scarred.

I think it'll be this. He won't decline gradually like rossi, he'll keep crushing them mercilessly until he's physically unable to race.

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

Slavvy posted:

I think it'll be this. He won't decline gradually like rossi, he'll keep crushing them mercilessly until he's physically unable to race.

Sadly I agree; I don't see it any other way, especially with Honda still placing machinery above all else. Marc will continue to defy odds till he runs out of road...

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

Yeah I forgot Suzuki, though it now appears to be better than the Yamaha and might always have been, it was so underpowered when he was there it wasn't reasonable to expect anything. He should've hit the ground running on a nearly identical bike but with far more resources on the team side.

He will be back at either portimao or the race after that, guaranteed. His arm is good enough to wring the neck off an rc213vS, if he had a more conservative style/easier bike he'd be back already.

I don't know, I think there's a difference between coming back and being back to his former self. I think maybe he races again but his arm seems like it really was just done and I'm skeptical that even Marquez can knock off the rust that fast.

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

He'll definitely come back, but he is probably hosed and once he starts crashing again I think he's going to look into the void like Lorenzo did. I just don't think he has it in him to tootle around at the back getting gradually up to speed, not sure that even works on the Honda anyway, and there's no real opportunity for testing to knock off a year and a half of rust. He's going to see red the first time Rossi passes him for 14th and his ambition is going to crush his ability. [quote]

So I think this... but then

[quote="algebra testes" post="513688105"]

Slavvy posted:

gregbest90 posted:

Sadly I agree; I don't see it any other way, especially with Honda still placing machinery above all else. Marc will continue to defy odds till he runs out of road...

This only it'll be this year. I don't see Marquez being OK with going as slow as he should to get back into the swing of things and I think he'll push too hard and crash again. He's marquez so maybe instead he'll just be absolutely ridiculous again but I think the most likely scenario is he crashes badly again once or twice and hurts himself.

Slavvy posted:

The Ducati is probably the second best bike, yes, but it still has crippling handicaps that only a truly transcendent rider can overcome in each and every race and I don't think they have a guy like that, zarco is the closest imo.

Iannone didn't do jack poo poo for Suzuki besides costing them a season, when they decided to let him choose what engine to use and he jumped the wrong way because he was still in truck driving mode, leading them to spend a season understeering everywhere because their engine had millstones for flywheels.

Like go back and look at the results of the Ducatis. Dovi was the only guy to ever be remotely consistent, george included. And his tilt at the title came in his fifth year on the red bike, third on the current bike (the gp13/14 had nothing in common with the newer bike, there was a clean cut when gigi took over design and there was likely no useful experience to draw from it), hardly ten years of preparation.

My honest opinion on Ducati: their turning issue persists across several eras of bikes, riders, technology and rules. This leads me to believe their issue is not technical, but philosophical. They are unwilling to lose even a small amount of their strengths in order to improve their weaknesses, and because the only way forward from here is a shorter wheelbase that would hurt braking and acceleration, they continue to gently caress about with aerodynamics in a fugue of denial.

Compare and contrast to Honda, who were told unequivocally by marc that they would lose in 2019 if they didn't massively improve straight line performance. So they made the difficult but necessary choice to sacrifice some cornering performance in order to improve acceleration, I think by just making the bike longer and more rear-heavy aka moving in ducati's direction. It destroyed the seasons of all their other riders but marc was able to overcome the corner entry handicap and win.

The only thing I want to add here is that goddamnit don't you dare slander Lorenzo's name like that. All he needed was a little tank pad to help cushion his dad bod belly and he was suddenly super fast. I don't know if you remember but it was just hilarious at the time. He'd been complaining all season and ducati had been like "shut the gently caress up and ride our bella bike" and then they finally gave in and he promptly went on a tear.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Thanks everyone for continuing racechat... Let's watch a whole team's heart break in half:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQjZVddYGi0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Skreemer posted:

Thanks everyone for continuing racechat... Let's watch a whole team's heart break in half:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQjZVddYGi0

You gotta keep on the gas in the final straight.

(I know, I know)