Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Larryb posted:

And we have our first trailer for the He-Man reboot (which drops September 16):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZXApnj-ztIE

I assume helmet girl is Teela and the one with yellow eyes is the Sorceress?

Also do we have a cast list for this yet? Some of the voices sound kind of familiar to me (I wanna say that’s Antony Del Rio as Man-At-Arms but I’m not sure).

Is this another He-Man reboot or a continuation of Revelations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Oh okay it’s completely different.

Also so what every show is Star Wars: Rebels now?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Applewhite posted:

Is this another He-Man reboot or a continuation of Revelations?

A complete reboot ala the Netflix She-Ra series. Revelation will continue though but not until next year apparently.

Also according to someone on He-Man.org, the armored girl is supposedly a gender-flipped Ram Man

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 19, 2021

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
If you showed me pictures of the plucky gangs of CGI teenaged misfits from SW: Rebels, ST: Prodigy, He Man and whatever the gently caress Tales of Arcadia is, I’m not confident I could tell them apart.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It also seems like they might just be merging Teela and the Sorceress into one character and that’s who the yellow eyed girl is.

Alternatively, they’re leaning hard into the fact that the Sorceress is Teela’s mom and just making her a magic user in this series as well.

And some more info regarding the series staff:

https://www.cbr.com/he-man-masters-of-the-universe-trailer/

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 19, 2021

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Doesn't look like it'll be my thing, but the designs look nice and dynamic and I'm sure kids will love it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Applewhite posted:

If you showed me pictures of the plucky gangs of CGI teenaged misfits from SW: Rebels, ST: Prodigy, He Man and whatever the gently caress Tales of Arcadia is, I’m not confident I could tell them apart.

To be fair this is being done by the same studio that did the Tales of Arcadia franchise so it makes sense there would be visual similarities

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Some more info straight from Mattel:

https://corporate.mattel.com/news/m...on-september-16

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I'm sure kids will like it and I wish them the best, but I don't think this is my thing. Who knows, though? I'll keep my ears to the ground and see what the vibe is. Maybe it will surprise me.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And we’ve got a cast list:

https://www.animationmagazine.net/streaming/first-look-mattel-returns-to-eternia-with-he-man-and-the-masters-of-the-universe-on-netflix/

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Human world comfortable Doug when

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Covok posted:

I'm sure kids will like it and I wish them the best, but I don't think this is my thing. Who knows, though? I'll keep my ears to the ground and see what the vibe is. Maybe it will surprise me.

Based on the trailer it looks like they’re doing enough interesting stuff story and character-wise that I might check it out, even if the art style is weird and off putting. I have a feeling it’s ultimately going to be merely Okay, especially when stacked up against She-Ra and Revelations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Based on the trailer it looks like they’re doing enough interesting stuff story and character-wise that I might check it out, even if the art style is weird and off putting. I have a feeling it’s ultimately going to be merely Okay, especially when stacked up against She-Ra and Revelations.

Yeah, apart from the admittedly off-putting visual style everything else that’s been presented to us regarding the show actually seems pretty interesting (and it’s got quite the solid voice cast to boot). I’d say that’s more than enough for me to at least give it a fair shot.

I wonder if there’s going to be any She-Ra content in this series, and if so I wouldn’t mind a few of the SPoP cast reprising their roles even if they wind up playing completely different versions of the characters (in particular I want Adora and Hordak’s VAs back)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 19, 2021

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

In addition to the whole Horse situation, I hope the follow up on some of the other dangling existential horror threads like the innumerable terrified tiny centaur copies they've been machine-gunning out their hooves the whole time.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXZVkydRqEk

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

HelleSpud posted:

Yeah, that whole your body is being forcibly changed into something you don't want - you should stop complaining. Made me really uncomfortable

It's a puberty metaphor. :ssh:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

puberty also made me uncomfortable, so i think everything lines up

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Yeah, as a closeted trans kid puberty was pretty horrifying.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Edit: I couldn't find the right words for this and not happy with it, so I'm taking it down.

Come And See fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 19, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The new masters of the Universe thing looks interesting. Also Ram Man to Ram Ma'am is a great name change.

I do wish Duncan was older however. I liked him as a kind of mentor figure and supporter.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

The new masters of the Universe thing looks interesting. Also Ram Man to Ram Ma'am is a great name change.

I do wish Duncan was older however. I liked him as a kind of mentor figure and supporter.

New Duncan also strikes me as kind of Sokka-esque, not sure how to feel about that right now.

I'm totally fine with Robo Orko and Teela being a sorceress herself though (weird that Tom Kenny is using his Clone Wars narrator voice and not one of his higher pitched ones however).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 20, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

New Duncan also strikes me as kind of Sokka-esque, not sure how to feel about that right now.

I'm totally fine with Robo Orko and Teela being a sorceress herself though (weird that Tom Kenny is using his Clone Wars narrator voice and not one of his higher pitched ones however).

It's also looking from the promo shots that Robo Orko is either just a robot drone that's taken to cosplaying as the real Orko for some reason, or was made by Orko in his image, again for some reason. That's got me more intrigued than anything else I saw in the trailer.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

It's also looking from the promo shots that Robo Orko is either just a robot drone that's taken to cosplaying as the real Orko for some reason, or was made by Orko in his image, again for some reason. That's got me more intrigued than anything else I saw in the trailer.

Huh, I just assumed it was the same Orko but he was a robot instead of a Trollan in this version (if not, I wonder if we’ll meet the real deal at some point then).

Also do we know how many episodes the first season of this is going to be yet?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

Huh, I just assumed it was the same Orko but he was a robot instead of a Trollan in this version (if not, I wonder if we’ll meet the real deal at some point then).

Also do we know how many episodes the first season of this is going to be yet?

I mean something up with the backstory because you see Robo Orko posing in front of a statue of what's implied to be the real Orko that's old enough to have had one of its arms fallen off by now, and if you look closely at Robo Orko's design, the hat, scarf, ears, robe and wrappings around his arms to simulate sleeves have clearly been added on later to a pre-existing robot design in an attempt to mimic the look of the statue. So there is a story there.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean something up with the backstory because you see Robo Orko posing in front of a statue of what's implied to be the real Orko that's old enough to have had one of its arms fallen off by now, and if you look closely at Robo Orko's design, the hat, scarf, ears, robe and wrappings around his arms to simulate sleeves have clearly been added on later to a pre-existing robot design in an attempt to mimic the look of the statue. So there is a story there.

Good point, I imagine this will be explained in the show itself at some point (like maybe the real Orko died a while ago and Ork-0 as this dude is properly named is his replacement for the series)

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Re: Centaurworld, where do minotaurs come from? Seems like they could be from the human world, centaurworld or their own world, and I'm not sure if there was any hint at an explanation.

Also if they have their own world clearly that implies the existence of a horseworld :colbert:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Elman posted:

Also if they have their own world clearly that implies the existence of a horseworld :colbert:

An "Equestria" if you will.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Applewhite posted:

Oh okay it’s completely different.

Also so what every show is Star Wars: Rebels now?

something something CalArt art style trends. i think this meme is usually from terrible manchilds insulting stuff like Heman and She-ra, but i think there is merit in that there IS a trend for several years,
and then some other style replaces it.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The difference is I can instantly differentiate and recognize the CalArts characters.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Applewhite posted:

The difference is I can instantly differentiate and recognize the CalArts characters.

The irony being most of the shows people scream "cALaRrTs StYlE!" aren't done by people who even went to CalArts so the term is a loving meaningless internet buzzword :ssh:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

nine-gear crow posted:

The irony being most of the shows people scream "cALaRrTs StYlE!" aren't done by people who even went to CalArts so the term is a loving meaningless internet buzzword :ssh:

Yeah no I know. I always hated that criticism. I should have put sneer quotes around "CalArts" in my earlier post.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well, compared to the original where all characters were literally identical brick houses, I think it's alright. Also they're actually doing some things to make the "masters of the universe" title actually mean something instead of just being pointlessly grandiose.

Also they're leaning further into the sci-fi angle instead of that just being a weird background element. Makes me think about how Thundercats was doing something weird about that but was saving the twist until right before the series got cancelled because it was too boring outside of that.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Kelly Turnbull / Coelasquid has been tweeting a bunch lately about the animation industry and staying on-model and why certain visual styles periodically take over

https://twitter.com/Coelasquid/status/1428459034596704256?s=19

https://twitter.com/Coelasquid/status/1428817043713773571?s=19

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Particularly since a bunch of the old styles got invalidated during the shift to HD.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b1BXOdlrbo

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

The show runners may not, but once it's in production the designs are shifted to be easier for the whole group to draw and adjusted through people who did go to CalArts and influenced by their teaching

Steven Universe - Rebecca Sugar's original design

Designed by Cartoon Network committee

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

HelleSpud posted:

The show runners may not, but once it's in production the designs are shifted to be easier for the whole group to draw and adjusted through people who did go to CalArts and influenced by their teaching

Steven Universe - Rebecca Sugar's original design

Designed by Cartoon Network committee

you do realize that half the shows on that chart weren't on Cartoon Network, right.

also that dipper is off model

also also! the "calarts style" critique was coined by John K, who in addition to being a monster is also infamous for poo poo-talking popular shows that aren't his (such as claiming the Simpsons "succeeded despite the writing" in the early '90s), so you should really take that critique with a grain of salt - especially when literally everyone who's currently working in the industry has said it's not true.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Like, there is something to be said for how the success of Adventure Time spawned an entire generation of animators and popularized certain stylistic techniques, but the "Cal Arts Style" criticism misses the point hard by assuming it's taught to students and enforced by networks as opposed to something that evolved organically, and are present in the character designs of some shows but not others.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You basically seem to be lumped in to 'CalArts style' if you're a relatively simple non-anime style (and for practicality reasons any smaller show is likely to be fairly simplified) done with thin outlines and no gradients (either flat shading or solid band shading).

And like I mentioned before, I really attribute the shift to those two elements as being a consequence of both HD and also to a certain degree the modern era of computer-aided animation processes like Toonz, both coming at nearly the same time. Those stylistic elements go really well with those developments.

They're all a little off-model, or in the case of something like Steven, that mouth CAN be on model but is VERY rarely used. It's pretty clear someone started with the right and then filled in the left.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Aug 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Steven basically never looked like that after season 1.