Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
wait, the article seems to be saying it's up from 'only' 20% of the total being breakthroughs in June. was LA an extreme outlier back then? that feels like it was back in the '0.00001% of cases are breakthroughs! live your life!' times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Casey Finnigan posted:

the peak of American civilization was the release of The Matrix in 1999

catching up and was gonna post this because the agent man says this in the movie and he was correct lol

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Any advice on dealing with an employer that won’t let staff wear anything other than provided surgical masks? Friend was told they could not wear a better mask under their surgical mask. It’s a job with a lot of exposure to the mostly unmasked public. Employer wants everyone to match.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Pulcinella posted:

Computer toucher. More money, less stress. Actual vacations. Job ends at the end of the day (there is occasional long hours crunch time for about a week every 3 months, but nothing like grading/planning where the school day ends and you still have to do hours of work to get ready for the next school day, everyday). I have time for my own child and family instead of meeting for two hours after school with admin, other teachers, Timmy, and Timmy’s parents to discuss how we are going to get Timmy to pass the state standardized test (he wasn’t even my student! His normal science teacher was just out on parental leave).

Any chance you’d be willing to provide some specifics about how you managed the transition to someone considering a similar switch (happy to reach out thru other means, but it looks like you have pms disabled)? I’d be curious to see what the process was like and what sort of independent practice/training/accreditation was most useful.

On the whole, I think I’m in a slightly better situation than the one you left, but I’ve spent the last month slowly slipping into a mental breakdown about the coming year and I think I need to start building a bridge to anywhere other than the island that I’m currently sinking into the ocean on.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Bring a handheld emulator full of ROMs and you too can climb the corporate ladder while also beating every final fantasy game + make a lot of money at the same time.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Lacrosse posted:

I got some really interesting insider information from the Seattle music scene today; someone I know is a musician that plays at bar-type venues in and around Seattle and they said that they had 3 gigs lined up that all got suddenly canceled. The liaison from one of the larger venues told them that the DSHS* is quietly going around to businesses and giving them the heads up that if cases aren't brought down within 3 months then the state is going to lock down everything like last year. This is leading music venues to cancel anything except priority shows, and they suspect that the recent Watershed Festival at The Gorge Amphitheater that happened at the beginning of August is what spurred the health department to take action. The case counts originating from that festival must be worse than the state government is letting on, and is probably directly responsible for Inslee's decision to bring back the mask mandate state-wide.

edit: typo, it's Department of Social and Health Services, not Department of Homeland Security

that's awesome, but also lmao at 3 months

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Apraxin posted:

wait, the article seems to be saying it's up from 'only' 20% of the total being breakthroughs in June. was LA an extreme outlier back then? that feels like it was back in the '0.00001% of cases are breakthroughs! live your life!' times.

nope they were one of first to report real breakthrough numbers. seattle followed with similar results--theyre up to like 25% recent cases are breakthroughs

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Silver Nitrate posted:

Any advice on dealing with an employer that won’t let staff wear anything other than provided surgical masks? Friend was told they could not wear a better mask under their surgical mask. It’s a job with a lot of exposure to the mostly unmasked public. Employer wants everyone to match.

Buy uniform colored KF94s with different sizes or get hosed, boss

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

fosborb posted:

that's awesome, but also lmao at 3 months

I think that's their get out clause because they're hoping that delta will naturally go away within 3 months because it'll already have burned through the population

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Der Meister posted:

MD vaccination rate is in the 90s

you'd say that *squints eyes*

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Silver Nitrate posted:

quit

i know this is the most privileged and bougie response possible, but holy hell quit that job immediately and find anything else. would literally rather scrub toilets at a job that let me wear a real n95

you are totally hosed if you have to wear a regular surgical mask, no modifications or mask on top, and interact with the public

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

third moderna scheduled with no probs. time to get the titers

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

jisforjosh posted:

lmao everyone I know calling me a pessimist for saying we'd be at 200K cases a day by labor day

jokes on them, I was too optimistic

4.2M dead by Christmas here we go

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
"masks aren't dress code, they're to keep you from having a million dollar workers comp claim from me", I smarmily tell my boss

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Stereotype posted:

4.2M dead by Christmas here we go

lotta families gonna need santa's coal to help burn their dead

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

mod sassinator posted:

lotta families gonna need santa's coal to help burn their dead

Funeral stonk numbers up

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Silver Nitrate posted:

How would you react to someone putting a gun to your head?

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.healthline.com/health-news/covid-19-by-the-numbers-vaccinated-continue-to-be-protected

quote:

Deaths

Of the 8,054 hospitalized breakthrough COVID-19 cases, at least 1,587 deaths are known to have occurred.

Hospitalized breakthroughs have a 20% mortality rate

gently caress

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

oopsies

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lol

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
https://youtu.be/WUOtCLOXgm8

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

:megadeath:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I used to have you blocked and I don't know why. Keep posting pfc

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I left out the very next line in the article

quote:

This is still a tiny fraction of the 168 million people who are vaccinated in the United States.

lol

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans
Patient is in his 60s, dying of covid and a long litany of pre-existing conditions, barely hanging on while on BiPAP maxed out. He isn't maintaining his sats so it's a question of intubation vs comfort measures.

We call his daughter to make the decision and she asks if she can see him, I tell her it's against policy because of covid. She states she can't make a life or death decision without looking at him, that she tried the ipad but because of the BiPAP she couldn't really get a sense for him. To be perfectly honest, if it were my mom, I'd want to see her before making that decision (idk that I'd ask for it during a pandemic, but I'd want it).

We get approval for her for one hour and when I call to tell her, she asks if her husband can come inside too.

Me: No, even letting you in is an exception.

Daughter: Don't they care that he's dying?

Me: ...it's not that they don't care, it's that he's got a contagious disease in the middle of a pandem-

Daughter: WE'VE ALREADY HAD IT! EVERYONE IN OUR HOUSEHOLD HAS ALREADY HAD IT!

Me: But reinfections are a thi-

Daughter: okaythankyoubye *click*

None of them were vaccinated

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Lovelyn posted:

Patient is in his 60s, dying of covid and a long litany of pre-existing conditions, barely hanging on while on BiPAP maxed out. He isn't maintaining his sats so it's a question of intubation vs comfort measures.

We call his daughter to make the decision and she asks if she can see him, I tell her it's against policy because of covid. She states she can't make a life or death decision without looking at him, that she tried the ipad but because of the BiPAP she couldn't really get a sense for him. To be perfectly honest, if it were my mom, I'd want to see her before making that decision (idk that I'd ask for it during a pandemic, but I'd want it).

We get approval for her for one hour and when I call to tell her, she asks if her husband can come inside too.

Me: ...it's not that they don't care, it's that he's got a contagious disease in the middle of a pandem-

lol

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

there's a lot misery in the thread rn so i just want to share something:

i've been working with a goon and his wife to help them get JOBS! and his wife was apparently having a really hard time at her now former job. in the same day she quit because she couldn't take it anymore, she got a call from my company and they're going to have a further chat

i'm still a little high rn but to the goon out there i've been working with, i wanted to give you a special shoutout amidst the brainworms because you made my night :unsmith:

do what good you can and how you can, goons. we're all gonna need it

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

McNugget Buddy posted:

I left out the very next line in the article

lol

it’s an even smaller fraction of the total grains of sand in the world

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
LOL
https://twitter.com/MattWalshBlog/status/1428391454863396868?s=19

LMAO
https://twitter.com/Paisano/status/1428525967774035968?s=19

Lenin Stimpy
Sep 9, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lovelyn posted:

this is the best poo poo keep posting

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

food manufacturing reportback: so, I don't know exactly where the product goes (midwest area) but let's just say, if you need bread, you're probably gonna be a-okay. Judging by the insane amounts of bread coming down the line the past 3 weeks. Any shortages for grains are gonna be shipping or trucking related, I'm guessing. No supply issues detected.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Lacrosse posted:

I got some really interesting insider information from the Seattle music scene today; someone I know is a musician that plays at bar-type venues in and around Seattle and they said that they had 3 gigs lined up that all got suddenly canceled. The liaison from one of the larger venues told them that the DSHS* is quietly going around to businesses and giving them the heads up that if cases aren't brought down within 3 months then the state is going to lock down everything like last year. This is leading music venues to cancel anything except priority shows, and they suspect that the recent Watershed Festival at The Gorge Amphitheater that happened at the beginning of August is what spurred the health department to take action. The case counts originating from that festival must be worse than the state government is letting on, and is probably directly responsible for Inslee's decision to bring back the mask mandate state-wide.

edit: typo, it's Department of Social and Health Services, not Department of Homeland Security

Within three MONTHS? Well that's a hell of a time frame.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arkage posted:

Within three MONTHS? Well that's a hell of a time frame.

WWE has internally pegged September as when everything will be shutdown nationwide and they won't be able to do live events

If Biden doesn't extend unemployment and rent moratoriums past Christmas, we are absolutely staring collapse in the face

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Man...it's only just begun.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

McNugget Buddy posted:

WWE has internally pegged September as when everything will be shutdown nationwide and they won't be able to do live events

If Biden doesn't extend unemployment and rent moratoriums past Christmas, we are absolutely staring collapse in the face

why do they literally always wait until the last minute to extend anything if that

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

mod sassinator posted:

ruh roh some third shot booster havers in Israel are starting to pop positive

https://www.timesofisrael.com/tv-14-israelis-who-got-3rd-shot-later-infected-with-covid-19/

isn't this expected? the vaccines were never sterilizing immunity, and getting boosters never made that claim. the idea is that across millions of potential infections, vaccines reduce the number and severity of those potential infections.

It's your last line of defense, that you should hope to never test. Not being exposed is your first line of defense, followed by wearing a mask to prevent covid particles from entering your body. If both those fail, then your body gets to roll on the covid immune response chart, and you want as many bonus as you can on that. Because if you get unlucky, you die or get your life ruined. You max your titers to give you the best chance if that happens. Hopefully if you pop poz, the symptoms will be minor. But there's always the chance of getting a horrible outcome.

Trust your respirator, don't test your vaccine.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Biowarfare posted:

why do they literally always wait until the last minute to extend anything if that

the feeling of interminable precarity is a capitalism design feature not a bug lol

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Biowarfare posted:

they're hoping covid will go away, or people won't riot

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

jetz0r posted:

isn't this expected? the vaccines were never sterilizing immunity, and getting boosters never made that claim. the idea is that across millions of potential infections, vaccines reduce the number and severity of those potential infections.

It's your last line of defense, that you should hope to never test. Not being exposed is your first line of defense, followed by wearing a mask to prevent covid particles from entering your body. If both those fail, then your body gets to roll on the covid immune response chart, and you want as many bonus as you can on that. Because if you get unlucky, you die or get your life ruined. You max your titers to give you the best chance if that happens. Hopefully if you pop poz, the symptoms will be minor. But there's always the chance of getting a horrible outcome.

Trust your respirator, don't test your vaccine.

This is a more consice and accurate summation than anything put out by fauci, walenski, birx and so on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

WampaLord posted:

seconded

if you wear a nice suit and interview well, you can get tons of jobs you're not qualified for

I've interviewed for about 20 jobs in my life and got about 18 of them.

Then I quit in less than six months because I'm much better at interviews than working.