Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Sassy Witch
This poll is closed.
Magilou 33 28.45%
Oddium 9 7.76%
All of them 15 12.93%
All of them (except the problematic ones) 30 25.86%
metis, whose birthday is this month 12 10.34%
Metis cannot stop editing polls 17 14.66%
Total: 116 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Hi thread!

I've hit a wall with Slay the Spire and it's time for a break. I've also started playing Griftlands. It's fun! I'm not exactly sure about some systems but Sal's story is good and I have a pet dog thing that I can pet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Walla posted:

Hi thread!

I've hit a wall with Slay the Spire and it's time for a break. I've also started playing Griftlands. It's fun! I'm not exactly sure about some systems but Sal's story is good and I have a pet dog thing that I can pet!

hope you enjoy GL. it had me completely hooked for a week (though I hadn't yet tried StS at the time). Did you get it on console, cause for me the console interface left a lot to be desired? It's perfectly playable with a controller, but some stuff will take much longer to understand because it's clearly designed with a mouse in mind (e.g., lack of/bad tooltips, but maybe things have improved since). I started on PS4, and bought the pc version 2 days later.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I haven't kept up with the story but I thought Gordon had left id hanging in terms of not meeting deadlines and they basically had to finish the score on their own?

More or less. When they were working on the OST album release, he blew through deadline after deadline until id were about to be delinquent on their own contract with the record label. id's in-house audio guy had to throw something together at the last minute just so it could be released at all without incurring penalties. There's a big tell-all about this on reddit somewhere.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Worse, didn't he initially raise a stink implying it was all Bethesda's fault?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Propaganda Hour posted:

Hah! I replayed through Quake 1 in January. It still holds up and I'm excited to play the Nightdive remaster since it looks similar to Quakespasm which I haven't tried.

In other Bethesda news:

https://twitter.com/Mick_Gordon/status/1428471316684828672?s=19

:(

wow cant believe they hdont want to work with the guy who didnt deliver on time and then happliyl threw the poor engineer who had to clean up his mess under the bus lol

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

yeah this just ends up making him look like even more of a knob

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
didn't play the new dooms but a quick listen of some of the ost and it mostly sounds like the boring part of metal songs you tune out

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Khanstant posted:

i got banned from gocomics because I was going through every piece of poo poo nancy comic drawn by guy gilchrist and pointing out how poo poo he was. and also guy gilchrist blocked me on all social media when i kept pointing out him being a sex pest, really irritates me he still makes money selling lovely muppet drawings

i am trying to imagine what this dude's 9/11 nancy comic must have been like

haveblue posted:

More or less. When they were working on the OST album release, he blew through deadline after deadline until id were about to be delinquent on their own contract with the record label. id's in-house audio guy had to throw something together at the last minute just so it could be released at all without incurring penalties. There's a big tell-all about this on reddit somewhere.

lol I went to look for the reddit post and the mod team of r/doom removed it (???), I had to look at the archive

https://archive.vn/gqw9p

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 20, 2021

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
did anyone watch the first ep of Jerma's Dollhouse stream?

Holy gently caress he is the best

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

i am trying to imagine what this dude's 9/11 nancy comic must have been like

Unfortunately, they seem to just be your typical schmaltz. Jesus Christ at Fritz though.

He only actually started doing 9/11 comics on 2006 though. His comic on the day in 2004 has probably the worst drawing of Shaq I've seen.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

haveblue posted:

That's the gist of it. The soundtrack was in the pre-order package that people paid for and I recall reading that Bethesda were concerned that if they allowed Mick more time to mix/master the soundtrack and delivered the game sans soundtrack, then they would open themselves to liability for delivering an "incomplete" product in the EU. No idea how valid that excuse is, but it sounds like a reasonable concern for a company as big as bethesda. They did what the could with the in-game files https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nZyemRSN-A

Quake is amazing. Look at these drat screenshots of the new episode:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ah, brown

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

a little late but Roblox is insanely popular with children, even six- and seven-year-olds. I've had students who get rewarded for good grades and the like with robux. I have no idea what the hell you buy with the currency once you've spent real dollars on it, though

my understanding is people (teens and older?) will make modules in Roblox with different game mechanics. I've never played it myself but I've always imagined like, Garry's Mod servers?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

When it IPO'd I remember trying to figure out what the hell it was. Still no clue. It looks like Minecraft x megablocks to me. Why kids are interested I have no idea

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I know there were big numbers involved but I had no idea Roblox was 7 times bigger than Ubisoft

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I know there were big numbers involved but I had no idea Roblox was 7 times bigger than Ubisoft

Where are you getting your figures. I'm looking at yahoo financial and Ubisoft is about twice the earnings as RBLX. Even if they missed their target by quite a bit.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Where are you getting your figures. I'm looking at yahoo financial and Ubisoft is about twice the earnings as RBLX. Even if they missed their target by quite a bit.

I'm watching the video on Roblox which is why everyone is talking about Roblox
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gXlauRB1EQ&t=99s

Yeah by market cap
https://companiesmarketcap.com/roblox/marketcap/
https://companiesmarketcap.com/ubisoft/marketcap/

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"That sounds like Quinns from SUSD"
"Holy poo poo it is Quinns from SUSD"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Infinitum posted:

"That sounds like Quinns from SUSD"
"Holy poo poo it is Quinns from SUSD"

Yeah Quinns rules. Surprised you don't know about People Make Games, that's their videogamez youtube channel, good stuff.

dreamless
Dec 18, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

When it IPO'd I remember trying to figure out what the hell it was. Still no clue. It looks like Minecraft x megablocks to me. Why kids are interested I have no idea

in the earlyish days of minecraft people looked at all the crazy mod servers and were like "it's so easy to make a multiplayer game with minecraft as a platform, this is gonna be huge" but it turns out there was still too much friction in getting the mods onto people's computers; roblox fixes a lot of that and adds ingame currency that they take an enormous cut of.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'd never played a Mega Man so I got the Legacy collection for $6. I played through #1 with a decent amount of save states / rewind. It was tough but doable.

Then I tried 2. I think I may have been able to beat that when I was younger but now it was hard as balls. I got through it but towards the end it was rewind, rewind, rewind, got em, save, repeat. The first stage of Wily was loving HARD. God drat.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Things robux is used for: buying private servers in your favorite games, buying special pay-to-win features or lootboxes in your favorite games, buying cosmetics in your favorite games.

Think of Roblox like you'd think of something like second life or garry's mod. It is a base thing that other people can build their own things on but also can monetize and introduce new items into the game for others to purchase as well as allowing people to use the base game engine to make new games that all operate off of it. It's really not much more complex than that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Waltzing Along posted:

I'd never played a Mega Man so I got the Legacy collection for $6. I played through #1 with a decent amount of save states / rewind. It was tough but doable.

Then I tried 2. I think I may have been able to beat that when I was younger but now it was hard as balls. I got through it but towards the end it was rewind, rewind, rewind, got em, save, repeat. The first stage of Wily was loving HARD. God drat.

The thing about old school Mega Mans is they rely on a bit of repetition and learning to predict things, (partially to pad out the game length) and also lots of tricks with learning what all works well where.

Knowing which weapons are effective against which robot masters can make things trivial that otherwise seem ridiculously hard.

In my experience all the NES ones are hard but doable and fun up until Wily stages and then things get ridiculous, yeah. 1 is the simplest and has the most cheap death pits IIRC.

Definitely play 3 onwards where you get the slide, it makes things feel much better IMO.

And if you haven't play MMX its the best one and the dash feels amaaaazing.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Zaphod42 posted:

The thing about old school Mega Mans is they rely on a bit of repetition and learning to predict things, (partially to pad out the game length) and also lots of tricks with learning what all works well where.

Knowing which weapons are effective against which robot masters can make things trivial that otherwise seem ridiculously hard.

In my experience all the NES ones are hard but doable and fun up until Wily stages and then things get ridiculous, yeah. 1 is the simplest and has the most cheap death pits IIRC.

Definitely play 3 onwards where you get the slide, it makes things feel much better IMO.

And if you haven't play MMX its the best one and the dash feels amaaaazing.

I'll keep going. I bought Legacy 2 and MMX 1, as well. I'd read that that's the best of the MM stuff. Also, the other stuff wasn't on sale.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah Quinns rules. Surprised you don't know about People Make Games, that's their videogamez youtube channel, good stuff.

I am subscribed to so many things :negative:

Waltzing Along posted:

Mega Man 2, 3, and X are the only games you need to play.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I'm honestly intrigued by the fishing mod, I love chill peaceful fishing in videogames.

However, it looks pretty shallow? (:rimshot:)

I would kill for the FFXV fishing minigame to be in FFXIV instead of the FFXIV fishing button-push

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Infinitum posted:

Mega Man 2, 3, and X are the only games you need to play.

Mega Man 4 is the best one though

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

hatty posted:

Mega Man X4 is the best one though

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I have no nostalgia for Mega Man to cloud my judgment. If/When I get through this bunch of games, I'll let you know which is actually the best one.

So far, they are both bad. 2 has more item drops which is definitely helpful.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The Krion Conquest is the best one though

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Aug 20, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Finished 12 Minutes. I have to say, I was rather disappointed with this one. Based on the previews and star casting I was expecting a kind of cerebral Nolanesque timeloop thriller, but the plot ended up falling more on the side of Donald's "The Three" from Adaptation. Even beyond the narrative being incredibly stupid despite its intriguing setup, I don't feel like it ever really delivered on its premise. Despite having the trappings of a fully interactive setting, it's really just a timed puzzle game where there is one intended sequence of actions and they do not want you to be too clever about finding other ways to escape the current scenario. I'm glad I got it on Gamepass where it didn't cost real money and they rereleased Quake on the same day.

So far this year I have completed:

- Trials of Mana Remake
- Foregone
- Resident Evil Village
- Guilty Gear Strive
- Streets of Rage 4: Mr. X Nightmare (DLC)
- 12 Minutes

Up Next: Lake (Sept. 1st)

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm honestly intrigued by the fishing mod, I love chill peaceful fishing in videogames.

However, it looks pretty shallow? (:rimshot:)

I would kill for the FFXV fishing minigame to be in FFXIV instead of the FFXIV fishing button-push

Last time they talked about the next part of FF7 remake they explicitly mentioned the party is gonna spend a lot of time living out in the wilderness. So hopefully FF7R2 brings back 15's fishing and camping.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Khanstant posted:

didn't play the new dooms but a quick listen of some of the ost and it mostly sounds like the boring part of metal songs you tune out

The music's main strength is how it's used in the games honestly. The soundtrack isn't really my thing on it's own.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

Last time they talked about the next part of FF7 remake they explicitly mentioned the party is gonna spend a lot of time living out in the wilderness. So hopefully FF7R2 brings back 15's fishing and camping.

Ooooh, that'd be sweet

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Finished 12 Minutes. I have to say, I was rather disappointed with this one. Based on the previews and star casting I was expecting a kind of cerebral Nolanesque timeloop thriller, but the plot ended up falling more on the side of Donald's "The Three" from Adaptation. Even beyond the narrative being incredibly stupid despite its intriguing setup, I don't feel like it ever really delivered on its premise. Despite having the trappings of a fully interactive setting, it's really just a timed puzzle game where there is one intended sequence of actions and they do not want you to be too clever about finding other ways to escape the current scenario. I'm glad I got it on Gamepass where it didn't cost real money and they rereleased Quake on the same day.

Instead of 12 minutes how about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAQZPBwz2CI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HypmW4Yd7SY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCAPKEn2a7A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5JE9_JKwI4

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

A Sometimes Food posted:

FF7R2 turns the section from outside Midgar to Junon into a giant open world game full of new mission hubs and side quests. Also the gang gets a Chevrolet

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah Chris Bratt started People Make Games on his own after he left Eurogamer and Quinns joined recently.

He and Matt had Cool Ghosts which was sort of the videogame equivalent of SUSD but Quinns left it a while back and Matt hasn't put anything out for it in ages for various life reasons.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

stev posted:

Nah Chris Bratt started People Make Games on his own after he left Eurogamer and Quinns joined recently.

He and Matt had Cool Ghosts which was sort of the videogame equivalent of SUSD but Quinns left it a while back and Matt hasn't put anything out for it in ages for various life reasons.

Ahhh, there you go. I remembered Cool Ghosts vaguely but wasn't sure what the whole story was on everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Recompile fucks, but i get why some people hate it. it's very much a precision 3D platformer on top of being a metroidvania and mild-puzzler, and its levels are designed in the abstract like a 3D Mario game... combined with the minimalist cyber aesthetic, you get a game that throws a bunch of triangular platforms at you in a fog void. but i really like the design of the areas. and once i got the blink and double jump, going back and forth between areas was no longer a big deal. and i think it controls tight and responsive for a platformer and generally didn't have an issue knowing where i was landing.

one area i won't push back on is the third person shooting combat though, as it is quite weak and feels almost tacked on. i do think the bosses are interesting, but the weapons don't feel like they have much stopping power, being honest. you have puny pistol, puny machine gun, puny shotgun, etc. luckily there aren't that many enemy encounters in the game so it's not that big a deal. the map, though, i dunno what the point of it is. they make it look like a Rogue map and that's fun but it conveys almost nothing to the player.

this one will go in my top 10