Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Duodecimal posted:

I kinda hate that I can't see gathering nodes unless I switch jobs, and that specific materials are in only one spot. I just want some goddam tin and can't remember where I found it before and don't want to hit the wiki afuckinggain.

Hit B to pull up the Gathering Log and search for the item name. It even gives you a map of where the nodes are.

Alternatively tin ore is vendor-sold and cheap enough that most people will just :effort: and buy it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Duodecimal posted:

I kinda hate that I can't see gathering nodes unless I switch jobs, and that specific materials are in only one spot. I just want some goddam tin and can't remember where I found it before and don't want to hit the wiki afuckinggain.

You have an in game gatherer's log. Any materials you've previously gathered are recorded there and it'll list the location(s).

I think the default hotkey is B? Or maybe I rebound it ages ago...

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Duodecimal posted:

Good news, you don't have to!

If you bit B, you'll bring up the gatherer's log, which will show you the area where you can find every material available at your level. The only things that don't show up by default are like the time-limited stuff, and that's only until you gather them for the first time.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

In ShB several side quests in each area awarded you a full set of at level high quality gear coffers. They also doled out non-trivial exp so they were absolutely worth it to do when the expansion was fresh. I hope they continue that trend in EW.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

shoc77 posted:

Playing as a black mage (Currently at level 50), I have traits which allow my Fire 1 and Thunder spells to have a chance to proc a free cast of Fire 3 and Thunder spells respectively.

Since the notion for combat is to Always Be Casting (ABC), I presume that I should prioritize these procs when they come up before continuing to cast Fire 1/Thunder as part of my rotations. However, I need to visually confirm when these procs become active and have to delay or overwrite my Fire 1/Thunder GCD casting as a result.

Is there anyway to circumvent this issue or is it just something I will have to bear with?

Do not cancel casts for Firestarter procs. Do not cancel casts for anything, ideally. You will indeed always be in the middle of casting the next spell when you get a Firestarter proc from a Fire I. At 50 you just have to live with the next cast possibly being another Fire I that can overwrite the proc with a "wasted" new proc, so it goes. At level 60 your fire phase rotation will change to cast 3x Fire IV, which does not proc Firestarter or refresh your fire buff, followed by 1x Fire I to keep the fire buff from expiring, then 3x Fire IV again before going to ice. The problem goes away then since you're never casting back-to-back Fire I:s.

For Thundercloud you still don't want to cancel casts, although you probably do want to use it on the next cast at 50. If you're close (1-2 Fires left) to ice phase you want to hold Thundercloud until after your Blizzard III; in general you want your non ice/fire spells to go in ice phase and replace a weak Blizzard while your mana ticks up. When you have Fire IV then Thundercloud is ideally ignored during fire phase unless the proc or the thunder dot is about to expire, or you need an instant to cover movement.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Another question what server are we generally on.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

Another question what server are we generally on.

Quoting the main thread:

quote:

The Catgirl Bargains Alliance
Primal center: Excalibur (Group NA)
If you're a new player, join Third Party Tools -- they've got plenty of room! PBC and DGKK are nearly out of space
Please Be Careful, Plot 13, 1st Ward, The Goblet (Ul'dah)
Dragongod Knightkings, Plot 8, 1st Ward, The Goblet (Ul'dah)
Third Party Tools, Plot 8, 8th Ward, Shirogane (Kugane)

Chaos center: Omega (Group EU)
Please Calm Down: Plot 37, 5th Ward, Shirogane (Kugane) Discord server: https://discord.gg/HXFJJVD

Elemental center: Kujata (Group JP, ASEA)
Ned Kelly Fan Club: Plot 24, 1st Ward, The Goblet (Ul'dah)

I don't know how many folks are on EU or JP but there are so many Excalibur goons there is a reasonable likelihood we will need a fourth FC - and the member cap on FCs in FFXIV is 512 characters.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ok was wondering cause Excalibur said it was Legacy and I don't know what that means.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I believe Legacy just means its one of the original servers and existed even in 1.0.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tortolia posted:

Quoting the main thread:

I don't know how many folks are on EU or JP but there are so many Excalibur goons there is a reasonable likelihood we will need a fourth FC - and the member cap on FCs in FFXIV is 512 characters.

So questions about this. As I can't join Excalibur right now anyway. I am planning on starting as a Thamaturge in Ul'dah does this prevent me from joining Third Party Tools?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

MonsterEnvy posted:

So questions about this. As I can't join Excalibur right now anyway. I am planning on starting as a Thamaturge in Ul'dah does this prevent me from joining Third Party Tools?

yes, you can only join FCs (Guilds) on the same server as you, even if you can visit other servers.

One thing you can do is try to make a character during the early AM, as the lockout on new characters is based on current logged-in population, not total number of characters.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Galaga Galaxian posted:

yes, you can only join FCs (Guilds) on the same server as you, even if you can visit other servers.

One thing you can do is try to make a character during the early AM, as the lockout on new characters is based on current logged-in population, not total number of characters.

Ul'dah is a city not a server from what I know. But from the sound of things is where two of the three Free Companies are based.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

MonsterEnvy posted:

No, but you will have to jump through some hoops to get an invite. You'll need to message someone on the Discord so you can actually get to Kugane, which usually isn't available until level 61 or 62.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

sweet geek swag posted:

No, but you will have to jump through some hoops to get an invite. You'll need to message someone on the Discord so you can actually get to Kugane, which usually isn't available until level 61 or 62.

So should I just wait to join one or join one of the Ul'dah FC's?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You seem to be confusing Free Companies and Grand Companies

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Regy Rusty posted:

You seem to be confusing Free Companies and Grand Companies

Yeah I know nothing.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

MonsterEnvy posted:

So should I just wait to join one or join one of the Ul'dah FC's?

The Ul'dah companies are pretty full, we don't currently have much room for new players. TPT is probably your best bet. That being said, there is a dedicated channel in discord for getting authed into the free companies, and if you tag the inviters there you should eventually get someone who can help you.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Heavensward: how can you tell when you’ve got enough aether to fly in a zone?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

In the travel menu, there's a section for aether currents. That will show you how many currents you have and how many you need to fly.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Hellioning posted:

In the travel menu, there's a section for aether currents. That will show you how many currents you have and how many you need to fly.

Ahh. And I assume the green marks are ones found in the world, and yellow come from quests?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

Ahh. And I assume the green marks are ones found in the world, and yellow come from quests?

Yep.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

SettingSun posted:

In ShB several side quests in each area awarded you a full set of at level high quality gear coffers. They also doled out non-trivial exp so they were absolutely worth it to do when the expansion was fresh. I hope they continue that trend in EW.

The best thing about the changes they made to side quests in ShB is that they scale to your level, so they're worth knocking out on a secondary or tertiary job.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

sweet geek swag posted:

The Ul'dah companies are pretty full, we don't currently have much room for new players. TPT is probably your best bet. That being said, there is a dedicated channel in discord for getting authed into the free companies, and if you tag the inviters there you should eventually get someone who can help you.

K well I will do that at some point after getting into Excalibur

Edit: Aww it appears I was slightly too slow naming to get into Excalibur.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Aug 20, 2021

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Servers open and close constantly. If you have time, you can probably check back in an hour or two and it will be open.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
If you want to get in to TPT post here and I or someone else in the fc can meet you in Ul'dah and you can use us to get in. You can click on a member to view fc details and from there you can apply to the fc. Also there's room in all of the fcs as far as i'm aware. They always seem close to full because we don't kick people who haven't played in months or years unless we need the space.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Sunday Morning posted:

If you want to get in to TPT post here and I or someone else in the fc can meet you in Ul'dah and you can use us to get in. You can click on a member to view fc details and from there you can apply to the fc. Also there's room in all of the fcs as far as i'm aware. They always seem close to full because we don't kick people who haven't played in months or years unless we need the space.

PBC and DKGK are only currently accepting applications from returners. PBC is doing multiple inactive player purges a week just to keep up, and I know as of last week we were approaching sub three months of inactivity being the cutoff.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I will check with things when I wake up I managed to create two characters in Excalibur, and will fool around with my Thaumaturge when I wake up.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I am having a lot of trouble getting the hang of AST. We wiped once and almost again on Brayflox LDR with an all-goon group because I got all mixed up between dps and healing and I think I only managed to throw out like 4 cards.

Should I just practice in command missions or PotD until I have a better handle on things?

I have a 57 WAR and tbh I don’t make the best use of all my cooldowns there either…

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Regalingualius posted:

Also note that the final quest current is almost always from the last MSQ of the zone, so while you can do sidequests or use your compass along the way, it's also valid to just work the story then backfill when the game pushes you to the next area.

sweet geek swag posted:

PBC and DKGK are only currently accepting applications from returners. PBC is doing multiple inactive player purges a week just to keep up, and I know as of last week we were approaching sub three months of inactivity being the cutoff.

Yeah, DGKK is going to need to purge folks offline less than four months soon. It's kind of insane. Newbies, just join the CGB Discord (link in the OP of the thread) and when you are ready to join a goon free company it's a simple process from there.

Next event page is up for The Rising!

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/2021/The_Rising/ct5qm6qrje

The rewards might seem a little small given the game is currently giving out a polar bear mount, but the Rising is the anniversary event for the ARR relaunch of the game. It's a sweet little event with the devs breaking the fourth wall to thank the players and share their memories with us and it's always worth doing.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

I am having a lot of trouble getting the hang of AST. We wiped once and almost again on Brayflox LDR with an all-goon group because I got all mixed up between dps and healing and I think I only managed to throw out like 4 cards.

Should I just practice in command missions or PotD until I have a better handle on things?

I have a 57 WAR and tbh I don’t make the best use of all my cooldowns there either…

Brayflox is a harder than average dungeon, and it'll let the tank pull a ridiculous amount.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

So this depends IMO.

1) If you think the anxiety over learning AST/Healing is causing you to make mistakes, command missions are a great way to do it.
2) If you're not stressed, but just hitting the wrong buttons I could say just to keep running with groups and let them know you're still getting the hang of things.

If the issue boils down to "I keep hitting the wrong buttons", it might be worth looking at your hotkey setup; I specifically separate heal/support skills from dps skills to minimize that. Otherwise just keep practicing, and there is zero harm in focusing on the heal/support side of things and minimizing how much time you spend optimizing dps while you get comfortable with things.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Just remember that cards are oGCDs (off the global cooldown) and most of your spells are short enough to cast+draw, then cast+use. You also have Essential Dignity for emergencies, which is also oGCD and will heal about half a tank's full hp. Cards also aren't super important until level 50 so don't worry about not using enough of them, though drawing cards does give MP so try to do that whenever you can, since spamming Benefic 2 is going to eat a lot of MP quickly and you'll probably do a lot of that during some of those pulls in that dungeon.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 20, 2021

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Qwertycoatl posted:

Brayflox is a harder than average dungeon, and it'll let the tank pull a ridiculous amount.

That makes me feel a bit better!

Tortolia posted:

1) If you think the anxiety over learning AST/Healing is causing you to make mistakes, command missions are a great way to do it.

Yeah, I’m freezing up then rushing. I need to get my focus-target and ToT key binds set up too, because just getting to the right person to heal and back to the tank is a bit of the fuss.

I’ll try some command stuff tonight I think.

A Moose posted:

Just remember that cards are oGCDs (off the global cooldown) and most of your spells are short enough to cast+draw, then cast+use. You also have Essential Dignity for emergencies, which is also oGCD and will heal about half a tank's full hp.

I lean on Essential Dignity as my primary heal, with Aspected Benefic’s regen to top up. I think I need to put my cards on better binds too, they’re awkward to hit in sequence.

Thanks for the tips and encouragement!

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Subjunctive posted:

I lean on Essential Dignity as my primary heal, with Aspected Benefic’s regen to top up. I think I need to put my cards on better binds too, they’re awkward to hit in sequence.

Thanks for the tips and encouragement!

That's how I play it too, those are all I end up needing most of the time. I throw the regen out first to let it do its thing over time, use ED if health is still dropping, and fall back on Benefic II only if those aren't enough. Helios is pretty much only used against boss mechanics.

I'm guessing part of the problem is figuring out when a pull goes from "my regen can handle this" to "oh no they're dropping fast" and finding the right reaction. This takes practice, but you really get a sense for it eventually. I used to stare intently at health bars in a state of constant low-level panic, but now I can kinda sense the ebb and flow of things more naturally, and have a good intuitive idea of how much healing I'm going to need to push out, and which buttons I need to press when to make that happen.

Keep in mind that Lightspeed is a great tool for when things go south quickly, since it means you can land a Benefic II in like half a second from now instead of 2+ seconds.

I'm on controller, but I have it set up so that Draw is right next to Malefic/Combust/Gravity, since it's almost always weaved after one of those. Play is next to my main heals. Cards are fun but definitely focus on getting the other aspects down first, then worry about Draw/Play when it's safe. You'll be able to get comfortable with it by 50, only for Divination and Minor Arcana to appear and make it overwhelming again :v:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
FYI the Fashion Report for this week is extremely cheap to get to 100 on (I spent about 15K to buy everything from the MB). Since you only ever need to get to 100 once (the only difference between getting 80 and 100 is a one-time title unlock), now is a good time to do so.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
My beast tribe rep is too low. Can you buy those dyes off of the MB?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

More points also lets you build your lifetime points total slightly faster, which is used to unlock items from Kasumi. Not much point to going for it after that though.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Zurtilik posted:

My beast tribe rep is too low. Can you buy those dyes off of the MB?

Yes, everything is buyable from the MB

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
They might also be readily available from your FC. I know TPT has a page of the company chest filled with nothing but dye because looking just right is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I'll have to look at the company chest then!

Rob the chest!
Rob the chest!
Rob the chest!