Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Not often this happens, but gonna have to agree with Chinese state media on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I mean that is pretty funny.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Even the worst archer can land an arrow in the ground.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The Taliban can't do poo poo to China without Russian arms and cash IMO, and Putin doesn't want to rock the boat with his fellow tyrants.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I won't quote the whole thing this time: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/article-china-welcomes-taliban-rule-in-afghanistan-even-as-beijing-remains/

quote:

China welcomed the Taliban takeover of Kabul as the “will and choice of the Afghan people” this week, as state media relished in Washington’s humiliation amid the botched United States withdrawal from Afghanistan.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/article-evacuation-flights-resume-at-kabul-airport-as-biden-defends-us/

yeah, ok...

quote:

Hundreds of people gather near a U.S. Air Force C-17 transport plane at a perimeter at the international airport in Kabul, Afghanistan, Monday, Aug. 16, 2021. On Monday, the U.S. military and officials focus was on Kabul's airport, where thousands of Afghans trapped by the sudden Taliban takeover rushed the tarmac and clung to U.S. military planes deployed to fly out staffers of the U.S. Embassy, which shut down Sunday, and others.

SHEKIB RAHMANI/THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

LimburgLimbo posted:

By the by about a week ago the US military published/declassified its latest assessment of the Chinese military and tactics.

Worth a look to fuel your Tom Clancy fantasies

Page about it or something:
https://community.apan.org/wg/tradoc-g2/operational-environment-and-threat-analysis-directorate/m/documents/383691

Direct PDF link:
https://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/DR_pubs/DR_a/ARN33195-ATP_7-100.3-000-WEB-1.pdf

Maaaaan, modern warfare is complicated. What happened to just shouting: "Charge!" and everyone all running at the enemy at once?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

uhhhhhhh excuse me, these are clearly fascist CIA collaborators running from the righteous anti-colonialist indigenous resistance

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Confirmed. Clinging onto the landing gear and/or wings of a departing plane is a known CIA technique, or tradecraft if you will, as noted in insider documentary Mission Impossible :hmmyes:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Strategic Tea posted:

Confirmed. Clinging onto the landing gear and/or wings of a departing plane is a known CIA technique, or tradecraft if you will, as noted in insider documentary Mission Impossible :hmmyes:

that was the IMF

he was a banker

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Strong Sauce posted:

so apparently i wasn't the only one confused about US presense in taiwan. perhaps this is the start of my brain worms. farewell guys its been real.

https://twitter.com/mhar4/status/1427539382265806849
https://twitter.com/JMichaelCole1/status/1427552981776420867

For context: Hu Xijin is the editor of the Global Times

Chinese state media: "US troops are at Code Ligma? What is this Ligma? We demand an immediate explanation to avoid further escalation of hostilities!"

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

:iceburn:

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Who said there was no truth to Chinese state news???

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Strategic Tea posted:

The Taliban can't do poo poo to China without Russian arms and cash IMO, and Putin doesn't want to rock the boat with his fellow tyrants.

The Taliban has more materiel than they will ever have need for, thanks to the US policy of just leaving everything less significant than an IFV to rot in a warehouse.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they leave the ifvs too

feizhouxiongdi2
Oct 9, 2019

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy/article/3142826/taliban-leader-arrives-china-talks-foreign-minister-wang-yi

i mean...this was last month.

The Taliban delegation with Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi in China.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Sort of makes you wonder why there had to be a rushed last-minute evacuation, if there were public press releases on which way the wind was blowing.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Intelligence telling politicians what they want to hear. They could be in Kabul in 90 days :ohdear:

And also we never gave a poo poo about evacuating anyone.

It is Foreign Office excuse #4 - well there's something we could have done but it's too late now

(from this hit basically-documentary - https://youtu.be/HSD1d-6P6qI)

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Alan Smithee posted:

Chinese state media: "US troops are at Code Ligma? What is this Ligma? We demand an immediate explanation to avoid further escalation of hostilities!"

Wait until the hear the latest rhetoric from General Güzlen Ondëz

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Alan Smithee posted:

China should release bofa those political prisoners

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/20/world/asia/korea-china-election-young-voters.html

NYT posted:

South Koreans Now Dislike China More Than They Dislike Japan

There is growing anti-China sentiment in South Korea, particularly among young voters. Conservative politicians are eager to turn the antipathy into a presidential election issue.

Given how much Korea hates Japan, this is quite the accomplishment on China's part.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Was gonna say, how in the hell?

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
No, not this, anything but this, K-pop and J-pop will now merge, and the world ends.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
hatin japan is one of the things that legitimately has a millenia-long history on koreas part but the kpop peeps never hated the jpop peeps, the main barrier is language skills

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

WarpedNaba posted:

Was gonna say, how in the hell?

I demand a recount. This is impossible.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

SerCypher posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/20/world/asia/korea-china-election-young-voters.html

Given how much Korea hates Japan, this is quite the accomplishment on China's part.

Don't most countries in Asia hate each other anyway?

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Blistex posted:

I demand a recount. This is impossible.

Good quote from the article

NYT posted:

“Until now, hating Japan was such a part of Korean national identity that we have a common saying: You know you are a real Korean when you ​feel hateful toward Japan for no particular reason,” said Jeong Han-wool, a chief analyst at Hankook Research​

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
The Japanese had a saying, Chon demo baka demo, my memories hazy but it meant something was so easy even a Korean or an idiot could do it, it's not something you hear anymore.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I'd say a huge factor is air quality from China. Those new powerplants China built on the shore that basically vent straight into Korea and the yellow dust problems.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
I find myself unable to believe that the people of Korea could hate anyone more, on average, than the Japanese.

I mean, even if directly presented with overwhelming evidence.
It simply does not compute.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

SerCypher posted:

This is a fascinating article

It also sort of points out how boneheaded Xi's foreign policy has been

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Everyone in the neighborhood hates Japan, but they all also hate China, and China has been a lot more belligerent lately.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

SerCypher posted:

low key sex master posted:

This is a fascinating article

It also sort of points out how boneheaded Xi's foreign policy has been

quote:

"They have also gotten into spats online over K-pop and kimchi. In March, many young South Koreans forced a TV station to cancel a drama series after it showed an ancient Korean king dining on Chinese dumplings."

Oh my.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
^remember that guy linked in the thread years ago who created a kimchi research society or something claiming korea had peppers pre-columbian exchange

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Atopian posted:

I find myself unable to believe that the people of Korea could hate anyone more, on average, than the Japanese.

I mean, even if directly presented with overwhelming evidence.
It simply does not compute.

My experience in Korea is the anti-Japanese stuff is all pervasive but kind of background noise, while the hatred of Chinese is much more immediate and personal.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Grand Fromage posted:

My experience in Korea is the anti-Japanese stuff is all pervasive but kind of background noise, while the hatred of Chinese is much more immediate and personal.

Like the hatred for Japan is a bottle filled with pebles and hatred for China is water poured into the same bottle?

Koreans are that bottle and The hatred contained within.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Like the hatred for Japan is a bottle filled with pebles and hatred for China is water poured into the same bottle?

Koreans are that bottle and The hatred contained within.

The bottle needs to be of infinite size. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_(cultural)

feizhouxiongdi2
Oct 9, 2019

bob dobbs is dead posted:

hatin japan is one of the things that legitimately has a millenia-long history on koreas part but the kpop peeps never hated the jpop peeps, the main barrier is language skills

i have seen Koreans protesting outside a Japanese consulate in United states, lots of emotions and every Korean grandma and grandpa angrily shouting and waving their signs. I forgot what it was about. Then i got into the elevator, the white dude next to me in the elevator said something about "ah, angry crowd outside". Then I made a joke to him that "I am Chinese, the only people who hates the Japanese more than we do is the Koreans, thats one thing we have in common" - i thought it was funny but they didn't proceed to say anything.

I gotta modify my bit now though, not that it was funny before, but at least somewhat true.

feizhouxiongdi2 fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 20, 2021

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
I know little of the dynamics of national hatreds in East Asia, but I'd guess it boils down to the Japanese being absolute giga-dicks like a generation ago, while the Chinese are being pretty big dicks right now.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Eh, China were also arseholes to Korea up until the Opium wars broke its back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Sunshine posted:

I know little of the dynamics of national hatreds in East Asia, but I'd guess it boils down to the Japanese being absolute giga-dicks like a generation ago, while the Chinese are being pretty big dicks right now.

feel like Japan was the Britain of their region in terms of like super imperious attitude towards everyone else and the actions that justified to them

less "those fuckers!", more "these people are almost animals to us"? I dunno