Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
lol speaking of shifts

I was playing BR and some dude comes up with Jesse Winker and instantly bunts down the third base line and I'm like "haha what the hell you dumb rear end" then as soon as he bunts I notice...there's nobody within 50 feet of 3rd base and he just easily gets on 1st.

Was he able to do this because he just knew that the CPU will auto do an extreme shift towards 1st if you have it on auto shift? I couldn't even see that my defense was doing that. Are there other players this works with?

Would that have worked basically every time or did I just get unlucky that Winker and his presumably low bunting didn't just bunt it right to my pitcher or foul?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
yeah, moderately fast guys bunting against the big right field shift get on base maybe...half the time? I first noticed it with with bellinger.

between that and the fairly regular "shallow fly ball to the opposite field that turns into a standup double" play that seemed to happen a lot I turned off auto shift completely pretty early on.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Stefan Prodan posted:

lol speaking of shifts

I was playing BR and some dude comes up with Jesse Winker and instantly bunts down the third base line and I'm like "haha what the hell you dumb rear end" then as soon as he bunts I notice...there's nobody within 50 feet of 3rd base and he just easily gets on 1st.

Was he able to do this because he just knew that the CPU will auto do an extreme shift towards 1st if you have it on auto shift? I couldn't even see that my defense was doing that. Are there other players this works with?

Would that have worked basically every time or did I just get unlucky that Winker and his presumably low bunting didn't just bunt it right to my pitcher or foul?

Yes when you're batting if you get the R3/RS to view defensive alignment prompt in means there's a shift on.

For years people have begged Gallo to just lay one down third base and in the Show you just can!

It works okay. You don't need to be fast but bunt skill isn't high on those players so you probably average about 1/3 to put it there vs CPU.

But then you get a big slow guy on first and eh, touch choice? Great for speedy players though and playing TB/Hits/OB moments.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

the 90+ diamond pack at 650k xp was actually great, giving me the last player I needed for the live collection in Acuna.

Second straight year I've actually finished the live series collection, just did it a bit faster this time (4th inning compared to the 11th last time)

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

TheFlyingLlama posted:

the 90+ diamond pack at 650k xp was actually great, giving me the last player I needed for the live collection in Acuna.

Second straight year I've actually finished the live series collection, just did it a bit faster this time (4th inning compared to the 11th last time)

Jealous! I got Tatis which is obviously decent, but I did already have him.

Still need degrom, cole, trout, acuna and a few others. Probably still about 500k stubs away. Hopefully I'll pull trout next inning!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
<a million nation of baseball runs later>

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Yay good job

He's sick!

Was especially cool to me as a braves fan to have him be the guy

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Grats! Chipper is my favorite player of all time, I'm super jealous.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
if I had a nickel for every time I’ve had 1st and 3rd nobody out and the CPU pitcher did a no look backhanded snag to start a double play (and the runner on 3rd doesn’t go, obviously) I’d be rolling in stubs. I’ve gotten numb to most of the horseshit defensive antics but that one still infuriates me every time.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I never play online. I'm exclusive RTTS. Hell I'm only playing 21 because it's on Game Pass, otherwise I'd probably still be grinding away on 17/19 on PS4.

Open one of the rando packs I got for getting like, ten hits:

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

oldskool posted:

I never play online. I'm exclusive RTTS. Hell I'm only playing 21 because it's on Game Pass, otherwise I'd probably still be grinding away on 17/19 on PS4.

Open one of the rando packs I got for getting like, ten hits:

Nice! Always good to get a quick 5000 stubs

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Now you are obligated to play ranked seasons (seriously it can be pretty fun and the best pitcher is free)

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Inside the park home runs don’t count for hit a home run goals. That’s some bullshit.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

jabro posted:

Inside the park home runs don’t count for hit a home run goals. That’s some bullshit.

For moments they count. It was pretty much the only way to do the Clemente Dinger Moment like 2 weeks ago. It might have gotten scored as a triple and an error?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Spoeank posted:

For moments they count. It was pretty much the only way to do the Clemente Dinger Moment like 2 weeks ago. It might have gotten scored as a triple and an error?

That was probably it. Still stings though.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I had a sort of breakthrough realization that helped me A LOT when trying not to swing at balls that are going out of the strike zone:

This is probably fairly obvious but I hadn't really practiced doing it and once I got it reflexive I got way better at laying off pitches that were going out:

Ok, so, instead of trying to follow the ball all the way through its flight and tell at some nebulous time whether it will be a ball or strike, I try to imagine a sort of checkpoint that's about half the time between when the ball is thrown and when it will hit the catcher's mitt for a fastball. At that point, the ball cannot really be out of the quadrant that the pitcher is throwing it in (upper left or upper right). Because if you think about it, it's either going to be a fastball where the distance it will eventually travel horizontally/vertically will be double the distance it's already gone, or it will be a breaking ball and it will go even further than that and not even be close.

So what I did was I practiced just on veteran or allstar or whatever is slow enough that you can be consistent at it and I learned to only swing at things that are still in the upper arm-side quadrant of the strike zone at the halfway point of the pitch's flight. Once you get a feel for when that is also you can know to instantly lay off if it leaves that small area earlier. You obviously have to be a little careful because it's ok if it goes above the zone a bit, your most crushable hung breaking balls are going to go above the zone a bit, but you have a ton of time to react to those. Anything that immediately crosses over that plane of like crossing over the center of the plate early or going out of the zone arm side at all you can just know to instantly take.

Some of this may be obvious, I don't know, I never played baseball at all IRL so I never got coached at this stuff and I'm just figuring it out as I go and sharing anything that I think is helpful.

If you want to try to practice this, you can even put it on directional so that all you have to worry about is training yourself to swing at strikes and not at balls. If you want to only swing at strikes that are up in the zone you can restrict it even further and say "I'll only swing at things that stay in the upper 1/4 of the zone because then the max they can go down as a fastball is to the middle"

You will obviously still have to read the pitch as far as whether it's going to break or not but I find that having a real quick heuristic that's helped me know right away that I'm not going to swing has been really helpful. That said, you do have to adjust this for poo poo like O'Day or Chris Sale and I'm working on doing that as well but it gets a little tricky for people with weird releases.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
I won't say it's obvious, but it's in the same point as when people say "watch the ball out of the hand."

Batters have to make a decision almost immediately if they're going to swing, and if you see the ball release slow/fast/with a little rise/gunning straight down/moving away on an opposite hand pitcher you can make a pretty immediate call with what you should do, especially if you plan on what you're looking for (sitting on slider, fb, etc).

It's not easy just because I can type it out, and I'll misread pitches too because that's part of the arensal and with enough break the pitches will all look like they're coming right into a sweet spot.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Someone once described it as basically the same thing as those "magic eye" puzzles, and I think that's pretty accurate. If you can relax and focus your eyes at the same time, you can judge the ball's path without losing your frame of reference (the strike zone). I feel like I fall in and out of it though, which can be frustrating.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Hey folks, I only just found out this sub exists.

I recently picked up my first sports game that isn't MMA related whatever hockey game the Dreamcast had - MLB The Show 2021

I'm having fun, but holy loving God there is so much to absorb.

I've played one or two online games, but I'm going up against all Diamond lineups while mine is bronze or worse. I managed to win a couple, but I'm dumbfounded why I cannot access one of my two squads. Am I missing something about ranked play?

Also, making all the missions and moments for the Votto card add up to 98 is just loving cruel. Now I have to go unlock a million old monthly players to qualify with the collections or whatever. I want Votto, God drat it!

Baseball Tax for the Baseball Gods -

Roberto Colon not being a playable character is a crime against humanity, by the way.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

High power Big Sexy needs to happen. If we get relief pitcher Rizzo, we should get this.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Captain Log posted:

Also, making all the missions and moments for the Votto card add up to 98 is just loving cruel. Now I have to go unlock a million old monthly players to qualify with the collections or whatever. I want Votto, God drat it!

all of the monthly rewards require the collection, and all of those require doing that month's worth of topps now missions. Kinda a pain, but it really assumes more that you'd be doing over the course of the month than all at once.

For the bronze diamond thing honestly I'd suggest waiting to go online until you have finished most of Team Affinity 3 and the high diamonds that come with it. Obviously you don't have to, but it'll even the playing field a bit first

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Captain Log posted:

Roberto Colon not being a playable character is a crime against humanity, by the way.

Calling him Roberto ranks right up there with it.

I know it’s auto-correct.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

jabro posted:

Calling him Roberto ranks right up there with it.

I know it’s auto-correct.

gently caress me, my cell phone is an rear end in a top hat.

TheFlyingLlama posted:

all of the monthly rewards require the collection, and all of those require doing that month's worth of topps now missions. Kinda a pain, but it really assumes more that you'd be doing over the course of the month than all at once.

For the bronze diamond thing honestly I'd suggest waiting to go online until you have finished most of Team Affinity 3 and the high diamonds that come with it. Obviously you don't have to, but it'll even the playing field a bit first

So I'm not able to just roll in with the cards I've already collected? I've got an all diamond roster, but I'm seemingly unable to access it in ranked games. I just get a hodgepodge of bronze players.

Another question - Does putting your Create-A-Character in Diamond Dynasty help level them? Getting my player character leveled is a loving slog. I also do closing pitching and haven't given up a run in twelve appearances, so being at 67 seems odd.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Captain Log posted:

So I'm not able to just roll in with the cards I've already collected? I've got an all diamond roster, but I'm seemingly unable to access it in ranked games. I just get a hodgepodge of bronze players.

okay that is really weird. Make sure you're not like, switching lineups or something before you play, but any card you own should be playable in ranked seasons and I don't know why they wouldn't.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

TheFlyingLlama posted:

okay that is really weird. Make sure you're not like, switching lineups or something before you play, but any card you own should be playable in ranked seasons and I don't know why they wouldn't.

That's actually good to know, because it means I'm doing something wrong.

I only have two rosters - One of all my best guys, then another for completing Missions. I don't have a bum roster.

Time to figure out what my dumbass is doing badly.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Log posted:

Another question - Does putting your Create-A-Character in Diamond Dynasty help level them? Getting my player character leveled is a loving slog. I also do closing pitching and haven't given up a run in twelve appearances, so being at 67 seems odd.

Supposedly, yes. Last time I played, My Player missions were broken and would never increment or advance in Road to the Show past a certain point, so I slogged through two minor league seasons while never advancing beyond ~68. Some people had some success by slotting their player into a DD lineup and playing vs the CPU, but my guy just seemed permanently stuck. I don't know if they patched it in the last month, but your post suggests that they haven't. Very Cool System

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

ALFbrot posted:

Supposedly, yes. Last time I played, My Player missions were broken and would never increment or advance in Road to the Show past a certain point, so I slogged through two minor league seasons while never advancing beyond ~68. Some people had some success by slotting their player into a DD lineup and playing vs the CPU, but my guy just seemed permanently stuck. I don't know if they patched it in the last month, but your post suggests that they haven't. Very Cool System

Don't get me wrong - I'm really enjoying the game. It's apparently the second best selling game this year.

But some of the interface and mission tracking is mind boggling. I find myself having to wind back and forth through menus, then look up player positions on my phone, then gently caress around with line ups, all to just attempt a simple "Get Five Hits with Blank" type of deal. Heaven forbid I can just search with a player.

To play in ranked games, it turns out I had to press Start. It was hidden in the top corner.

Also, you cannot see your equipment when you get the option to choose new equipment.

I'm way into baseball, but a lot of these states are lost on me. I have to check reddit for simple explanations of K/9 vs BB/9 vs whateverthefuck. Seems like they could have a little pop up if you highlight it.

Your archetype locks your position. For whatever reason, I cannot get the loving game to accept my guy as a DD relief pitcher.

It's frustrating. Fun as hell, but frustrating.

Also, gently caress some of those Moment challenges. But I might just be too old to take proper advantage of them.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Yeah, the ballplayer stuff is awful this year. They tried to give you more flexibility, integrating it in all the modes, but they really sacrificed the soul of it to get there. Being a two way player is cool, it's neat to carry him to DD, but oh my God the progression system is terrible.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Simple Question - What's the best use of stubs? I've hoarded about 70k because I can't really grasp what their best use should be. Buying diamond equipment for my ballplayer? Or just opening pack after pack of no-name no-picture level 52s?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

the best answer is flipping on the market until that 70k stubs becomes like 3 million, but most of us cannot be bothered to deal with that. After that it's mostly going to be buying the best diamond equipment for a player until you have one of each of the best and then probably just outright buying whatever players you want for your team.

stubs are...weirdly kinda less useful this year because so much of the top/near top level content has been free/grindable. chipper/mookie are legit great but honestly the free guys available in TA3 and some of the programs are a pretty drat good team too

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

TheFlyingLlama posted:

the best answer is flipping on the market until that 70k stubs becomes like 3 million, but most of us cannot be bothered to deal with that. After that it's mostly going to be buying the best diamond equipment for a player until you have one of each of the best and then probably just outright buying whatever players you want for your team.

stubs are...weirdly kinda less useful this year because so much of the top/near top level content has been free/grindable. chipper/mookie are legit great but honestly the free guys available in TA3 and some of the programs are a pretty drat good team too

I just want a bat better than the one I got with the cross console package. Yeah, +8/+8 is great, but I'd rather have something cooler than a wraparound black and white picture of Hank Aaron. I wish you could just put whatever bat "skin" on another bat, because I have some that are downright snazzy.

I was using a +6/+6 bat because it had roses on it, until I read about how each little point is worth a lot in those categories.

Side Note - I've got my character in Road to the Show up to 73. In Diamond Dynasty, he is still stuck at 65. Not sure if I'm loving something up or not, because that doesn't seem right.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

when you roster him in DD he's always going to look like a 65 overall, despite whatever equipments or loadouts you have set on him, but in actual gameplay he'll be whatever he's supposed to be. You can also set a "team" bat skin that I'm pretty sure will override whatever the player himself is using for a bat, but it only allows the skins and not the actual bats themselves, and also sets everyone else on the team has to use that bat skin.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

TheFlyingLlama posted:

when you roster him in DD he's always going to look like a 65 overall, despite whatever equipments or loadouts you have set on him, but in actual gameplay he'll be whatever he's supposed to be. You can also set a "team" bat skin that I'm pretty sure will override whatever the player himself is using for a bat, but it only allows the skins and not the actual bats themselves, and also sets everyone else on the team has to use that bat skin.

Ahhh, so if he is a 73 he will still read at a 65? For reasons?

At least I can play him without panicking about tanking the team. I pitched him in a two inning close and managed to blank the opposition with my little league pitches.

Thank you for the bat skin tip. I cannot stand the "Bought with the Special Edition!" blinking red light that is the bat I'm using.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I've got a question for those of you playing -

On an average day, what game modes do you play? I'm mostly interested in trying to get through "quest" progressions and poo poo like that. I end up doing the daily moments, Road to the Show, then work on a conquest map before I smash the Rockies for a game to get hits with all the players who need them.

The frustrating thing is a complete lack of being able to click on a player card and see what tasks need to be done with them. "Oh, I need to hit four XBHs for Field of Dreams and 12 bases for NL League Progression."

Trying to page through the labyrinth of menus about which players need to do what, when half the time you don't even know if you've unlocked them yet, is infuriating.

I'm loving the game itself, but being driven mad by the unintuitive poo poo.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

The menus could definitely use some improvements, yeah. Ranked online is fun, just play that a lot and eventually you get dudes is how I end up doing it most of the time.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Captain Log posted:

I've got a question for those of you playing -

On an average day, what game modes do you play? I'm mostly interested in trying to get through "quest" progressions and poo poo like that. I end up doing the daily moments, Road to the Show, then work on a conquest map before I smash the Rockies for a game to get hits with all the players who need them.

The frustrating thing is a complete lack of being able to click on a player card and see what tasks need to be done with them. "Oh, I need to hit four XBHs for Field of Dreams and 12 bases for NL League Progression."

Trying to page through the labyrinth of menus about which players need to do what, when half the time you don't even know if you've unlocked them yet, is infuriating.

I'm loving the game itself, but being driven mad by the unintuitive poo poo.

I was doing daily moments then jamming through Nation of Baseball to get the cards to sell on the market, but they nerfed that. Now I'm doing Daily Moments and the Extra Innings since they've added 4-5 achievements for that.

The baseball is mostly secondary to my desire to catch em all at this point.

As for tracking stuff, I have a notebook that'll say like
TEAM AFFINITY 69
NL West
HR w/Rookie Buster Posey 3 2 1

Then I check the progress after the game and mark em off as I go along

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
On reddit people will put up spreadsheets you can copy and then tick off as you go, such as:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1f6dN2REi-1w4IJbMIjgkzzxjV_-12CSR/edit#gid=2095555392

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Complete every program day 1 like me and you won't be confused hth

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Woo! I finally unlocked Byron Buxton! From April! Because I only recently realized I needed to do the Topps Now moments to unlock the rest of the poo poo. All I want is my boy Joey Votto.

God, some of the loving moments drive me up the wall. Three XBHs in one game on veteran or worse can gently caress right off. poo poo, it can gently caress right off on Rookie.

Spoeank posted:

I was doing daily moments then jamming through Nation of Baseball to get the cards to sell on the market, but they nerfed that. Now I'm doing Daily Moments and the Extra Innings since they've added 4-5 achievements for that.

The baseball is mostly secondary to my desire to catch em all at this point.

As for tracking stuff, I have a notebook that'll say like
TEAM AFFINITY 69
NL West
HR w/Rookie Buster Posey 3 2 1

Then I check the progress after the game and mark em off as I go along

Christ, this is what I feared. A game that needs a loving notebook to track quests. Sure seems like they could do better at that.

Is there any advantage to getting a full set of cards for a team? Is it worth trying to game the market for poo poo? That sounds like more computer and notebook work that I'm not sure I'm interested in doing.

Stefan Prodan posted:

On reddit people will put up spreadsheets you can copy and then tick off as you go, such as:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1f6dN2REi-1w4IJbMIjgkzzxjV_-12CSR/edit#gid=2095555392

Beautiful! I appreciate the link.

Also, where do we send a letter writing campaign to get Bartolo Colon in the game? I want my two way RTTS player to have his ridiculous "Fat Guy Throwing Hard Enough to Herniate Something Important" pitching form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

A full set of the live series cards gets you a good card of a former player. Or like Ryan Zimmerman. If you collect all those for a division, you get a division collection card, if you get all three of those for a league, you get a league card, and if you get both of those you get the collection reward. This year it's Chipper, the AL one is Ortiz, and I don't remember who the NL one is. The rest are usually good early in the year, but taper off as better cards come out. Chipper and Ortiz are still super great cards and probably will be until the end of the game cycle, though.