Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

I hope they add more game start options. More world generation of course, but I also always play Civ with the turn limit off and it sucks not having that.

you can always turn the tutorial on but then your computer will be trapped playing humankind until the heat death of the universe :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Every male contemporary era option wears a suit. I hate this. gently caress suits.

On the other hand, that Turkish building that gives science = pop and triples the value of adjacent other science producers.

I'll debase myself before the altar of capitalism for that bonkers cocktail of high science and high food on the same culture.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Well, this did seem like a potentially fun and interesting game for the 8 turns or so it let me play before my CPU temps started rocketing into the mid 80s :smith:.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Coming towards the end of my first game, really enjoying it but def. needs some patches and stuff. Still loving this far more than I did Civ VI but it's just bellow V as far as how addictive it's been thus far.

Kinda got Civ III "resources are scarce and kinda stupid" vibes at times. Like I get it's meant to force you to trade, but it's also really annoying when there's only one iron on an entire content and the empire on the other content isn't sharing their two iron nodes with anyone.

Also assuming the answer is yes, but you can keep playing after the game "ends" right? I just hit Industrial era and only have like 30 turns left, so it'd be nice to keep playing beyond the official end game like Civ lets you.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

yep, you can go right back in after the (pretty nifty) ending scroll and continue if you want

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

We should probably put an alert in the op before we lose more people to the tutorial. RIP.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

They already released a patch so the tutorial ends now. edit: it may only apply for tutorial campaigns started after the patch

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Aug 20, 2021

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Today I polluted the planet so hard that the game ended early and I won by 4000 score. What is life

I can't even continue the game past the end point because everyone is dead now

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
have they fixed unending magenta influence yet

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Pollution seems imbalanced. I've only gotten to that part of the game once, but in my experience, once a town got to "Low pollution", stability just disappeared. No matter how many conventional stability modifiers I stacked up, I couldn't fix it, until I rush-bought wind- and solar-power, which cut the rate down to Very Low Pollution, and made the stability nerf vanish in a turn.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Apraxin posted:

Well, this did seem like a potentially fun and interesting game for the 8 turns or so it let me play before my CPU temps started rocketing into the mid 80s :smith:.

That doesn't sound like an issue with Humankind

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

They already released a patch so the tutorial ends now.

the millions dead in the tutorial wars were NOT in vain

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

That doesn't sound like an issue with Humankind

Humankind does have a way of taxing your CPU more than just about any other game out there. Not that it's a problem per se, but it will definitely punish systems that are inadequately cooled. Another goon posted about high-ish temps in SH/SC recently, and it happened to me too during the beta. Got temps in the 90s actually, and then when my system rebooted for an unrelated issue (the power went out for a second), the PC wouldn't even boot due to the CPU temp being too high, lol.

Anyway, a new CPU cooler and better case ventilation fixed that issue. I don't think it's anything the devs have to fix, though whatever optimizations they may do in the future will probably help. Just be aware that this game will make your CPU run warmer than most other games if your cooling situation sucks.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Impermanent posted:

have they fixed unending magenta influence yet

I have found that playing as magenta not only does not fix this but actively is likely breaking independent relations harder: now tan is getting the ghost influence, but it's not real and does nothing as far as I can tell. Other noticable issue was new independents immediately being jumped on by multiple AI that could not see them. Those and the UI literally breaking one time

So what I'm saying is play Magenta

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Brazil is loving good.

This was my first "real" game, Civilization difficulty, loved it. I love the way a story of your nation naturally develops, better than Civilization does. The resource distribution definitely needs fixing, there were only two oil resources in the entire world and they were both on uninhabited Arctic islands that I didn't find until the game was over. But overall, really good, and I'm looking forward to trying new strategies. I always seem to end up with a progressive anarcho-communist government.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I wish you could increase the resources generated, it sucks to have no access to a second iron or any saltpeter because the civ holding them is 2 ages behind you.

I could take them by force of course but spawning in a corner of the map that has like 1 sage and no other resources is boring. Better run to the other side of the continent so you settle 10 turns after everyone else!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Huh, I didn't realize this game was taxing at all. Temps seemed to be normal 60-70C with 8700K & RTX 3080. I just limited the fps to 90 to save on power. Seems more than enough for a turn-based game. The very best thing is that turns proceed INSTANTLY, no need to wait forever for the turn calculations. I don't know how they do it but it's magical.

If you have cooling problems buy a big heatsink with 14cm fan(s) for cpu. Buy 2x12cm fans for gpu. Buy a "mesh" case like Meshify. If you have big bucks buy the new Torrent case from Fractal Design. When air moves, components stay cool even under full load.

The default "town" difficulty seems to be way too easy. I outpaced everyone by a giant margin, single-handedly conquered the whole new continent etc. I don't think there is a remote chance for me to lose with this much land and cities.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ihmemies posted:

Huh, I didn't realize this game was taxing at all. Temps seemed to be normal 60-70C with 8700K & RTX 3080. I just limited the fps to 90 to save on power. Seems more than enough for a turn-based game. The very best thing is that turns proceed INSTANTLY, no need to wait forever for the turn calculations. I don't know how they do it but it's magical.

If you have cooling problems buy a big heatsink with 14cm fan(s) for cpu. Buy 2x12cm fans for gpu. Buy a "mesh" case like Meshify. If you have big bucks buy the new Torrent case from Fractal Design. When air moves, components stay cool even under full load.

The default "town" difficulty seems to be way too easy. I outpaced everyone by a giant margin, single-handedly conquered the whole new continent etc. I don't think there is a remote chance for me to lose with this much land and cities.

Well yeah, if you already have all that stuff, it's gonna run fine, haha. My CPU (5600X) was overheating with the stock cooler in a case with a solid front panel and only some small vents for intake. Basically, a terrible cooling situation. Most games still ran just fine, but Humankind pushed my CPU harder than anything else, even Flight Simulator (though MSFS came in close second). My case manufacturer (Phanteks) sells a mesh front panel replacement so I got that and a bigass cooler (Dark Rock Pro 4) and now things are fine. So again, I'd like to emphasis this is not a problem with the game but with bad cooling setups. It's just that this game will expose those bad setups better than any other recent game I've played.

Agreed on the turn times. It's amazing how quick they are.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
help, i have too much food and it's causing my people to starve

no seriously why is it like this :negative: in several games now i've produced so much food that my population skyrockets, which causes it to fly past the population limit, which causes my people to starve and i get to look at this guy every single round

....because i am producing too much food :iiam:

other than just spending every turn placing more districts, is there any way i can avoid this?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Did a game on nation difficulty, huge map. I won by science victory 90 turns early. After ascending to early modern, I claimed eiffel tower and statue of liberty. The statue of liberty is silly broken if you're so ahead on the culture game, which I was. Of course I started snowballing in the medieval era once my new build cities started populating the old world and since I was in a hugbox with the other two only AI on the continent I could focus hard on expanding and developing my cities. Eventually it got to the point where my city militia could probably beat everyone in a fight with no casualties. I think the most advanced unit from the AI is like some flintlock gunner surrounded by mostly medieval or older troops meanwhile here I am running around with PRC commandoes and the capability to build missile artillery. Will probably start a war with somebody in the continued game.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Your Computer posted:

help, i have too much food and it's causing my people to starve

no seriously why is it like this :negative: in several games now i've produced so much food that my population skyrockets, which causes it to fly past the population limit, which causes my people to starve and i get to look at this guy every single round

....because i am producing too much food :iiam:

other than just spending every turn placing more districts, is there any way i can avoid this?

Hamlets give a ton of jobs and there are infrastructure buildings that also give jobs. I guess you can also mass recruit everybody into the army and send them on a glorious imperial conquest or something.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
If you just build a load of scouts in your overpopulated city and then send them off to other cities and disband them it could be a way of shuffling the population around? (If you disband military units on a city then they'll add one to the population.)

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Can I resettle people? To do some settler city infrastructure shenanigans? It would be cool to be able to upgrade the infrastructure of an existing city with a settler. It gives me now 30 free buildings when I build a new city.. omg. My capital has only 5 so it's missing 25 buildings :D

I need to build more hamlets. It gives 4 slots instead of the regular one slot, thanks. I have so big mass unemployement problem.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Is there a way of grabbing a neighbour's territory in a peaceful way? Like buying it somehow?

I have my classic 4X dilemma where I've been sharing my continent with a really chill and peaceful ally, but now I want some of his land and I can't bring myself to just suddenly cancel all our treaties and declare war. Partly for role playing reasons and partly because it's mean.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Can confirm Turks are also busted. At the end, I was racing the different victory conditions against each other. Put a mission to Mars about three turns before finishing the tech tree.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Alternatively you can also whip the population to build more temples and wonders and infrastructure and stuff if that's still an option available to you.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
some good suggestions in here, thanks

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Do districts ... Just in general give you influence? Not emblematic districts. Just districts? Or population? I actually did nab 2 of 3 influence stars in the last era and only got the first one about halfway through.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Apraxin posted:

80s is completely normal unless you're playing on like, a pentium 2 though?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

fuf posted:

Is there a way of grabbing a neighbour's territory in a peaceful way? Like buying it somehow?

I have my classic 4X dilemma where I've been sharing my continent with a really chill and peaceful ally, but now I want some of his land and I can't bring myself to just suddenly cancel all our treaties and declare war. Partly for role playing reasons and partly because it's mean.

If you can get a lot of cultural or religious influence on the territory in question, you'll occasionally get a grievance called "Oppressing the faithful/our people", which lets you demand they turn over that province. Whether they'll actually do it is another question, though.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Perestroika posted:

If you can get a lot of cultural or religious influence on the territory in question, you'll occasionally get a grievance called "Oppressing the faithful/our people", which lets you demand they turn over that province. Whether they'll actually do it is another question, though.

Has worked for me so far. Have a decent sized army, bonus if they are reliant on your strategics. If you have high cultural/religious influence (as in it's over 90 or capped out) they will just cede territory to you when you demand it. I don't know the ins and outs, but how the AI 'feel' about you in the top right is a good indicator as to whether they will fold when you ask.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
If you get stuck on "ending turn" you can save, restart the game then load that save and it will work.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Just finished a game (and then played like a hundred more turns) at Civ difficulty, got blasted by two runaway AIs. The Turks are insanely good at science catchup, but the real breakthrough happened when I started getting Osmosis events at my culturally-overrun cities. I was getting bursts of 11k science from each of those cities, every 2-3 turns. Frustratingly, you need to manually check to receive that science (whereas the thing where your people ask you to change a social policy is a mandatory acknowledge, that must be repeated every turn). It feels like they didn't anticipate the player getting culturally overwhelmed; the social stuff is annoying (but not that harmful), while the science benefits are huge. As far as I can tell, if one of your cities gets turned, the people will gradually ask you to change every single policy to match the foreigners, and keep asking every now and then for every policy you refuse to change.

I kept having my oil disappear. Eventually, I was able to figure out the AI had cut off my access (but not for any of our other trades), and were asking me to change a social policy. No notification. When I said no, they shrugged and started selling me the oil again. This happened many times; whenever it occurred, any constructions I had going on that relied on oil were paused. The game didn't change to the next item in the queue, or notify me, just paused a couple cities indefinitely. Yet, there's a notification whenever a city gains or loses a population.

According to the end-game graph, the two super-AIs spent the last few eras financially underwater - one at -20k and the other below -80k. As far as I can tell, this is due to the airplane upkeep bug. They both built a shitload of planes, then a shitload of financial districts until they reached equilibrium (though neither ever made it back to positive wealth).

The pollution counter also seems to be bugged. It doesn't take into account the effects of fusion (the end-game tech which halves all pollution). It also doesn't seem to take into account any other pollution-reducers; it was reporting my pollution at about 150 per turn when the real number was more like 20.

I've been playing way too conservative with districts, trying to place them to maximise adjacency bonuses from the surrounding tiles. Relying on the exploited tiles is nice in the early-game, but once you get off the ground, the real play is giant blocks of matching districts.

I think Harappans may be OP; in both of my games, they exploded into the lead and never lost it. Of course I was the Harappans in one of those games, and it was against easy AIs, but still, looking at the graphs for this match, they had 1/2 my endgame score by the start of the Classical era.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

What does "on Tribe: on Outpost" actually mean?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
"Nomadic tribe" is the name of your faction during the Neolithic. It's a backwards way of saying that this bonus is applied to you, and not some other player.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Kazzah posted:

"Nomadic tribe" is the name of your faction during the Neolithic. It's a backwards way of saying that this bonus is applied to you, and not some other player.

Oh right. I thought they were referring to the first unit you get.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

This is already so much more interesting than Civ6.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Veryslightlymad posted:

Do districts ... Just in general give you influence? Not emblematic districts. Just districts? Or population? I actually did nab 2 of 3 influence stars in the last era and only got the first one about halfway through.

Population gives you influence yeah

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I did the dominating culture + religion thing to rack up demands from the mentioned religion repression events, the gold you can Demand goes higher and higher everytime it gets ignored.

Until last turn when I get a message that Blue had a Demand against me instead, 1600 Gold! The Grievance? My Demand over 1200 gold from the religion event lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I really have no idea what to do with all the people. Just paint the map with districts? At least apparently you can build multiple ones per turn. Just queue a bunch and they will appear all next turn. I have over 20 unemployed guys in my capital. Can't spend all the time building districts, goddamnit..

Also my scientists produce 11k research at 1390 CE. Quite wise men...

Also thanks to adjacency bonuses I just bunch up districts like this:

Allllllllso wish the game had "upgrade all units" button...

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Aug 20, 2021